Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout 16:34 - Jan 8 with 3371 viewsStokieBlue

Today was the worst day of the pandemic thus far, 1325 deaths and it's likely that the effects of household mixing over Christmas haven't fed through into the numbers yet. For context that is nearly 200 higher than any daily total in April.

It looks like the new variant is still mostly concentrated in the SE and London though which is some good news. Hopefully the lockdown will stop it taking hold as badly in other regions.

We really need the government to get this right. Good to see them calling on the manpower of the army to assist where needed.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 16:40 - Jan 8 with 1873 viewshype313

Desperately hoping this lockdown starts to help imminently, can't help but think if we had locked down on the 18th (when SAGE suggested) we wouldn't be seeing such distressing scenes in London.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:03 - Jan 8 with 1819 viewsbluelagos

Was thinking about this earlier. The lockdown 1 peak of deaths was almost exactly 2 weeks after the lockdown.

So that would suggest we would expect to be peaking about now? Although today's figures hardly suggest a plateauing...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:08 - Jan 8 with 1796 viewshype313

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:03 - Jan 8 by bluelagos

Was thinking about this earlier. The lockdown 1 peak of deaths was almost exactly 2 weeks after the lockdown.

So that would suggest we would expect to be peaking about now? Although today's figures hardly suggest a plateauing...

The other concerning thing to see is that Germany have just announced another thousand deaths for the 3rd day in a row and they went into lockdown in early december.

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:11 - Jan 8 with 1782 viewsStokieBlue

I think comparisons might be difficult because even in a lockdown the B117 variant is just so much more transmissible. There are also still a lot more people in hospital than at the peak of the first wave.

There was hope yesterday that cases were levelling off but todays numbers are up again. I think we need to wait until tomorrow to see if that was an anomaly. Hopefully it is and we will be back on a levelling then downward trajectory but the indicators really don't look good at the moment for that to be the case.

SB
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 17:12]

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:11 - Jan 8 with 1786 viewsgordon

Also 68,000 cases today which is highest so far of the pandemic, so you'd expect that deaths will continue to rise for at least another two weeks, probably three. And that's only if cases have hit a peak and are about to start falling.

Given various aspects of the current situation I'd not expect deaths or cases to come down as fast as they did in Spring.
Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:12 - Jan 8 with 1766 viewsStokieBlue

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:08 - Jan 8 by hype313

The other concerning thing to see is that Germany have just announced another thousand deaths for the 3rd day in a row and they went into lockdown in early december.

That's also not with the new variant rampant there.

Very worrying times for the Germans.

SB

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:25 - Jan 8 with 1716 viewsbluelagos

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:11 - Jan 8 by gordon

Also 68,000 cases today which is highest so far of the pandemic, so you'd expect that deaths will continue to rise for at least another two weeks, probably three. And that's only if cases have hit a peak and are about to start falling.

Given various aspects of the current situation I'd not expect deaths or cases to come down as fast as they did in Spring.

That's a fair comment. You'd expect the peak of deaths to lag the peak of cases. So if the cases are still rising...

One good bit of news, am hearing from people I know (Health care workers) who are being vaccinated so it really is getting out there. South Suffolk has identified it's centers and start next week apparently.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:26 - Jan 8 with 1702 viewshype313

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:25 - Jan 8 by bluelagos

That's a fair comment. You'd expect the peak of deaths to lag the peak of cases. So if the cases are still rising...

One good bit of news, am hearing from people I know (Health care workers) who are being vaccinated so it really is getting out there. South Suffolk has identified it's centers and start next week apparently.

Believe trinity Park is open on Monday, so they should be able to scale up hugely there.

Login to get fewer ads

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:36 - Jan 8 with 1673 viewsGiant_Midget

I think lockdown today looks different to lockdown in April.
Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:42 - Jan 8 with 1668 viewsCoastalblue

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:36 - Jan 8 by Giant_Midget

I think lockdown today looks different to lockdown in April.

Yep agree and was talking about this today. In March I was working in an empty house and was commuting on roads that were almost completely empty.

Now I'm actually working in and around London, driving all night and the roads are very busy aside from between 1 and 4-30 AM.

Feels completely different, at some point I feel we may need to go back to a March situation, from a selfish point of view I hope not because I'd be financially fecked, but can see it being required.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:43 - Jan 8 with 1663 viewslowhouseblue

we have a very unpleasant period to get through now.

the pluses are the improved treatments which are reducing death rates amongst those reaching hospital (though the knock effect is that on average the cases reaching intensive care are now even more serious and the death rate there is rising); the fact that more people have been infected and if immunity does persist that acts as a fire break; and the vaccine is kicking in. Quite soon we will have a significant number of the highest risk group with some resistance due to the vaccine - those are the people most likely to be hospitalised. if vaccination goes according to plan that ought to start rapidly reducing the number reaching hospital. numbers in hospitable drive everything else in terms of policy.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:44 - Jan 8 with 1659 viewsgordon

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:11 - Jan 8 by StokieBlue

I think comparisons might be difficult because even in a lockdown the B117 variant is just so much more transmissible. There are also still a lot more people in hospital than at the peak of the first wave.

There was hope yesterday that cases were levelling off but todays numbers are up again. I think we need to wait until tomorrow to see if that was an anomaly. Hopefully it is and we will be back on a levelling then downward trajectory but the indicators really don't look good at the moment for that to be the case.

SB

Yes, there's very little reason to be optimistic in terms of the numbers yet - the decline in infections in April / May was pretty sharp but the lockdown was much stricter, the new variant could be more transmissable than the virus was in spring, and the affect of weather may have been pretty important in the decreasing prevalence of the virus in spring.
Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 18:03 - Jan 8 with 1591 viewsjaykay

also better than late is the new restrictions on entering the county

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 18:12 - Jan 8 with 1559 views26_Paz

Didn’t lockdown start on Monday? So we’ve got another week of increases before we could expect to see decreases ...

The Paz Man

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 18:16 - Jan 8 with 1549 viewsfactual_blue

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 18:03 - Jan 8 by jaykay

Just in time to stop grumpy trumpy-wumpy from sulking at his golf course in Scotland during the inauguration.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 18:17 - Jan 8 with 1541 viewsStokieBlue

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:44 - Jan 8 by gordon

Yes, there's very little reason to be optimistic in terms of the numbers yet - the decline in infections in April / May was pretty sharp but the lockdown was much stricter, the new variant could be more transmissable than the virus was in spring, and the affect of weather may have been pretty important in the decreasing prevalence of the virus in spring.

Totally agree.

It's going to be a nasty few months unfortunately.

SB
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 18:17]

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 18:18 - Jan 8 with 1530 viewsgordon

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 18:12 - Jan 8 by 26_Paz

Didn’t lockdown start on Monday? So we’ve got another week of increases before we could expect to see decreases ...

Wouldn expect death rates to easily be over 1,000 a day till mid February, and be closer to 2,000 in next two weeks.
Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 18:18 - Jan 8 with 1528 viewsfactual_blue

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:11 - Jan 8 by StokieBlue

SB

What's a minor road in Suffolk got to do with it?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 18:19 - Jan 8 with 1526 viewsBlueBadger

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 18:03 - Jan 8 by jaykay

The lie that will rolled out is that it was the EU stopping us doing this.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 20:21 - Jan 8 with 1377 viewsgordon

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:43 - Jan 8 by lowhouseblue

we have a very unpleasant period to get through now.

the pluses are the improved treatments which are reducing death rates amongst those reaching hospital (though the knock effect is that on average the cases reaching intensive care are now even more serious and the death rate there is rising); the fact that more people have been infected and if immunity does persist that acts as a fire break; and the vaccine is kicking in. Quite soon we will have a significant number of the highest risk group with some resistance due to the vaccine - those are the people most likely to be hospitalised. if vaccination goes according to plan that ought to start rapidly reducing the number reaching hospital. numbers in hospitable drive everything else in terms of policy.

Also worth saying that vaccination isn't going to make that much difference for a while (except it could reduce the no. of healthcare workers getting ill or needing time off).

About 75% of current ICU patients are under 70 so wouldn't have been in line for the vaccine for some time. The roll-out of the vaccine will be making things easier in care homes, but it will be a good few months before it has a material effect on the situation in hospitals.
Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 20:29 - Jan 8 with 1367 viewsAce_High1

Yes and the Moderna vaccine approve Stokers.

It will be a while before we start to feel on top of this, as others have said a grim next 4 weeks of daily rises in the stats and stories of issues in the logistics of the vaccine.

Wake me up in April please!
Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 20:29 - Jan 8 with 1368 viewsJ2BLUE

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:11 - Jan 8 by gordon

According to Tim Spector of the symptom tracker app there are signs infection rates are leveling off. Their data has repeatedly been ahead of the game. Lets hope he's right.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 20:57 - Jan 8 with 1327 viewsStokieBlue

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 20:29 - Jan 8 by J2BLUE

According to Tim Spector of the symptom tracker app there are signs infection rates are leveling off. Their data has repeatedly been ahead of the game. Lets hope he's right.

I know you've used the Zoe app as a reference before but I looked at one of the charts and the historical predicted cases per 100,000 from the app were about half the reality in December.

Don't suppose you have a comparison of implied vs actual data? I can look later, am being lazy as just cooked and want to go relax now.

SB

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 21:00 - Jan 8 with 1317 viewsJ2BLUE

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 20:57 - Jan 8 by StokieBlue

I know you've used the Zoe app as a reference before but I looked at one of the charts and the historical predicted cases per 100,000 from the app were about half the reality in December.

Don't suppose you have a comparison of implied vs actual data? I can look later, am being lazy as just cooked and want to go relax now.

SB

I don't to be honest, it all comes from Dr Campbell's videos.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 11:25 - Jan 9 with 1157 viewsONENIL78

Fingers crossed for the Oxford vaccine rollout on 17:42 - Jan 8 by Coastalblue

Yep agree and was talking about this today. In March I was working in an empty house and was commuting on roads that were almost completely empty.

Now I'm actually working in and around London, driving all night and the roads are very busy aside from between 1 and 4-30 AM.

Feels completely different, at some point I feel we may need to go back to a March situation, from a selfish point of view I hope not because I'd be financially fecked, but can see it being required.

another 5days of figures like these(which will continue to rise at an alairming rate) and im sure we will be in total lockdown..The amount of people about,and cars on the road now,is 100% more than in last march/april
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024