Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? 12:47 - Jan 15 with 1302 viewsfactual_blue

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/business/greene-king-changes-pub-names-with-racist-o

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 12:49 - Jan 15 with 891 viewsfooters

Free the Paedos

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 12:51 - Jan 15 with 888 viewscatch74

The Dishwater IPA.
The Shafted Tennant.
Adnams Shadow.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 12:51]

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 12:52 - Jan 15 with 871 viewshomer_123

Pub.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 12:52 - Jan 15 with 861 viewsFtnfwest

'the non binary person of indeterminate colour'?
So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 12:54 - Jan 15 with 835 viewshype313

"The Adnams is a far superior beer and organisation than the Greene King Inn"

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 12:56 - Jan 15 with 833 viewsfactual_blue

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 12:51 - Jan 15 by catch74

The Dishwater IPA.
The Shafted Tennant.
Adnams Shadow.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 12:51]

Although the accompanying video features an excellent Greene King former tenant.

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 12:56 - Jan 15 with 828 viewsMookamoo

The four bedroom house formerly known as The Black Boy owned by Colin from marketing.
So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 12:57 - Jan 15 with 830 viewsWallingford_Boy

What a load of nonsense! There is a black boy pub near me in Henley and although they did change the picture on the sign (to a dirty, chimney sweep), they kept the name.

RIP Sir Bobby

Login to get fewer ads

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 12:57 - Jan 15 with 821 viewsfactual_blue

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 12:52 - Jan 15 by Ftnfwest

'the non binary person of indeterminate colour'?

The brexiteer's Ham Sandwich

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 12:59 - Jan 15 with 810 viewsMoriarty

In honour of Lambert, how about “The really, really good pub”.

fka omuircheartaigh

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 12:59 - Jan 15 with 813 viewscatch74

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 12:56 - Jan 15 by factual_blue

Although the accompanying video features an excellent Greene King former tenant.

Have to hold my hands up and just say I’m
heavily influenced by some grim treatment of tenants down here. I would say they should have researched what they were signing up for though.
Believe the Hand in Flowers is a GK tenancy too.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 13:00 - Jan 15 with 797 viewsdominiciawful

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 12:49 - Jan 15 by footers

Free the Paedos

No logo in the foam.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 13:00 - Jan 15 with 803 viewsfactual_blue

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 12:57 - Jan 15 by Wallingford_Boy

What a load of nonsense! There is a black boy pub near me in Henley and although they did change the picture on the sign (to a dirty, chimney sweep), they kept the name.

The (quite large) number of pubs with this name almost certainly refer to the fairly swarthy Charles II who was known as 'black boy'.
So still arguably racist, compounded by Charles II's grants of land to create the Province of Carolina, which later became two of the leading slave states.

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 13:01 - Jan 15 with 779 viewsKeno

I believe the owner of Fawcett Inn is coming under similar pressure

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 13:04 - Jan 15 with 759 viewsBlueBadger

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 12:57 - Jan 15 by Wallingford_Boy

Pub names have quite often changed through the centuries, often in reflection of local politics and fashions. This is quite literally, nothing to get excited or angry about.

If you are excited or angry about it, you probably need to take a good hard look at yourself.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 13:05 - Jan 15 with 753 viewshype313

I think there's one in Kirby le Cross too?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 13:05 - Jan 15 with 755 viewsFtnfwest

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 13:00 - Jan 15 by factual_blue

The (quite large) number of pubs with this name almost certainly refer to the fairly swarthy Charles II who was known as 'black boy'.
So still arguably racist, compounded by Charles II's grants of land to create the Province of Carolina, which later became two of the leading slave states.

apparently there's a movement afoot to call them all 'the white boy' - i'd go with that
So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 13:07 - Jan 15 with 743 viewsfactual_blue

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 13:05 - Jan 15 by Ftnfwest

apparently there's a movement afoot to call them all 'the white boy' - i'd go with that

I thought you would.

How about The White Proud Boy?

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 13:08 - Jan 15 with 738 viewsfactual_blue

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 13:04 - Jan 15 by BlueBadger

Pub names have quite often changed through the centuries, often in reflection of local politics and fashions. This is quite literally, nothing to get excited or angry about.

If you are excited or angry about it, you probably need to take a good hard look at yourself.

Although perhaps a little disappointed (but not surprised) by GK's cynical use of PR.

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 13:09 - Jan 15 with 732 viewscharlie_blue

Rees Moggs amazing dancing British fish
So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 13:10 - Jan 15 with 727 viewsFtnfwest

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 13:07 - Jan 15 by factual_blue

I thought you would.

How about The White Proud Boy?

we'd need a few bouncers, although they wouldn't have to be that 'hard'
So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 13:14 - Jan 15 with 702 viewsclive_baker

Pubby McPubface

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 13:15 - Jan 15 with 697 viewsfactual_blue

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 12:59 - Jan 15 by catch74

Have to hold my hands up and just say I’m
heavily influenced by some grim treatment of tenants down here. I would say they should have researched what they were signing up for though.
Believe the Hand in Flowers is a GK tenancy too.

Liz has now retired. In early 2019 they were offered a new tenancy due to start in Sept 2019. The agreement was a very long document, but they read it all. Included in it was the requirement to attend a load of courses (at their own expense).

They were tenants for thirty-eight years, took the hint and retired. They are so relived they did.

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 13:21 - Jan 15 with 686 viewshoppy

Tesco Express?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 13:23 - Jan 15 with 675 viewsBlueBadger

So what would be appropriate 21st century names for these pubs? on 13:05 - Jan 15 by Ftnfwest

From middle class people?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024