Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Centre Forward 09:17 - Jan 26 with 3695 viewsWallingford_Boy

Never mind getting new (younger) full backs in, or adding to the midfield melting pot, surely a centre forward was the main requirement this window?

Norwood and Jackson seem to be permanently injured, so cannot be relied on (plus Jackson is NOT a centre forward).

Hawkins and Drinan are League Two standard at best (plus cannot score).

Norwood at least does know where the net is, which is the only real job of the centre forward in this current formation, but we cannot solely rely on him?!

Other than that, its a few kids.

We need experience, we need muscle, we need goals.. doesn't matter if its for 4 months, so even a 35 (ish) year old would do a job!

I know its easier said than done as we'd need to ship one of the current lot out before we can add and I have a feeling we may not have many takers for Jacko/Drinan/Hawkins!!
[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 9:18]

RIP Sir Bobby

Centre Forward on 12:04 - Jan 26 with 832 viewsNazemariner

Centre Forward on 10:32 - Jan 26 by GavTWTD

I still think playing 2 up front will work so much better. Hawkins/Norwood or Hawkins/Jackson would work pretty well I think. Drinan isn't good enough on his own, and neither are the others but pair them up and give the centrebacks two players to mark, not one.

Gotta say this is the way to go.

It would also mean that Chambers and Ward could play the more defensive roles that they ar better suited to.
Centre Forward on 12:06 - Jan 26 with 833 viewsNazemariner

If all four (not forgeting Freddie) were fit and firing i think we'd be ok. But for some reason they never are.
Centre Forward on 13:11 - Jan 26 with 786 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Centre Forward on 11:04 - Jan 26 by davblue

We didn't really last year when we played 4-4-2.

We were just very clinical with half chances/mistakes.

True. What did we play when Lambert first came in and Sears scored a few goals?
Centre Forward on 13:19 - Jan 26 with 779 viewsMonkeyAlan

Centre Forward on 10:12 - Jan 26 by rattram

Garner had to go or he would have been divorced! After 2yrs with Rangers and then us he was given an ultimatum by his wife to return to Lancashire, which was why we circulated clubs he was available. Great shame

So how does playing in Cyprus work then? Because that's where he is playing now.
Centre Forward on 13:47 - Jan 26 with 767 viewsBlueForYou

i've been banging on & on about this for what seems years. I would get rid of all our strikers, bar perhaps Sears. When I first saw Lankester I thought & hoped he might develp into a decent centre forward, but that injury combined with Lambert seems to have ruined him. Would putting Sears & Lankester together up there be worth a try? I realise I'm clutching at straws in the dark, but at least it would be something different. Just have a hunch those two have an eye for goal. Obviously signing two proper strikers is the real answer.
Centre Forward on 13:48 - Jan 26 with 765 viewsistanblue

Up until yesterday Armand Gnanduillet was available on a free transfer. 28 years old, 18 goals for Blackpool last season and was relatively match fit having only left his previous club last month. Unfortunately ITFC miss the boat AGAIN and he's gone to Hearts in the Scottish Champ. Our scouting is abysmal.
Centre Forward on 14:10 - Jan 26 with 752 viewslongtimefan

Centre Forward on 11:16 - Jan 26 by jayessess

Comments like this are weirder, imo. It's the club's job to be good at judging their player's underlying abilities and potential, based on a whole bunch of things we never see. "The fans didn't rate him" is no excuse whatseover.

So you agree with the post I was commenting on, that selling a player who made 11 wholly disappointing substitute appearances for us in 2016/17, who was desperate to leave for much larger wages, is the root cause of all our problems?
Centre Forward on 14:24 - Jan 26 with 747 viewsRadlett_blue

Centre Forward on 09:46 - Jan 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

Think of the quality that left the building that summer.

Our top 5 goal scorers, and Adam Webster.

The leaking ship that ITFC now represents has arisen largely because of that. Letting good Championship players go & replacing them with over-priced average 2nd tier players is what did for Town & we are still very much feeling the effects of it. While Lambert hasn't impressed as a manager, of our regular starters this season, only the goalkeeper, Ward, Judge & Norwood have been his choices (I exclude loan players).
Jackson seems another example of Town's hopeless player management. A pacey forward, for whom we had offers in excess of £1m from Championship clubs. He doesn't fit into Lambert's system so he's started 6 league games this season & scored 1 goal.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Centre Forward on 14:32 - Jan 26 with 737 viewsjayessess

Centre Forward on 14:10 - Jan 26 by longtimefan

So you agree with the post I was commenting on, that selling a player who made 11 wholly disappointing substitute appearances for us in 2016/17, who was desperate to leave for much larger wages, is the root cause of all our problems?

Moore leaving wasn't the root of our problems, no, but... A football club that lets Moore, already a proven League One goalscorer at that point, leave in January 2018, without
thinking through what might happen with their forward players the Summer after, was clearly doing something very wrong in terms of forward planning.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Centre Forward on 14:35 - Jan 26 with 735 viewsGuthrum

Centre Forward on 13:47 - Jan 26 by BlueForYou

i've been banging on & on about this for what seems years. I would get rid of all our strikers, bar perhaps Sears. When I first saw Lankester I thought & hoped he might develp into a decent centre forward, but that injury combined with Lambert seems to have ruined him. Would putting Sears & Lankester together up there be worth a try? I realise I'm clutching at straws in the dark, but at least it would be something different. Just have a hunch those two have an eye for goal. Obviously signing two proper strikers is the real answer.

Move Nsiala up top after his (disallowed) strike on Saturday?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Centre Forward on 14:47 - Jan 26 with 726 viewslongtimefan

Centre Forward on 14:32 - Jan 26 by jayessess

Moore leaving wasn't the root of our problems, no, but... A football club that lets Moore, already a proven League One goalscorer at that point, leave in January 2018, without
thinking through what might happen with their forward players the Summer after, was clearly doing something very wrong in terms of forward planning.

Not surprisingly I don’t think our forward planning took account of new management getting rid of all the forwards who would have blocked any progression of Moore at the club, or getting relegated to where an adequate League I striker would be useful.
Centre Forward on 14:48 - Jan 26 with 726 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Centre Forward on 14:35 - Jan 26 by Guthrum

I was thinking this, and with Ian Marshall, Matty Elliott and Richard Naylor, there is a precedent for the hybrid Centre Half/Centre Forward at Town.
Centre Forward on 14:56 - Jan 26 with 725 viewsDubtractor

FFS guys. I made this point a couple of days ago and was ignored.

Made me really sad.

Our transfer strategy in this window? by Dubtractor 23 Jan 2021 19:54
Obviously we won't know till the end of the window what the overall business has been, but I'm a little concerned right now.

We have a few options in attacking midfield/winger positions including Edwards, Bishop, Judge, Lankester, Bennetts, Sears, and Dobra. Conversely, aside from Norwood (who has become the latest injury liability) we don't have a striker who would score in a brothel. And those non scoring strikers have also got fitness questions.

So loaning in 2 more attacking midfield players seems a little lacking in focus to me. I appreciate that some of those I listed haven't performed, and the new boys may well be an improvement, but without a striker of any use in front of them its all a bit pointless isn't it?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Centre Forward on 15:02 - Jan 26 with 719 viewsjayessess

Centre Forward on 14:47 - Jan 26 by longtimefan

Not surprisingly I don’t think our forward planning took account of new management getting rid of all the forwards who would have blocked any progression of Moore at the club, or getting relegated to where an adequate League I striker would be useful.

Of the 4 forwards we dispensed with in the following Summer, one was a loanee, one was out of contract, one was already the subject of transfer speculation and the other ended up leaving for personal reasons that presumably didn't drop from the Sky. Moore, it turned out, was more prolific at Championship level than 3 of the 4 forwards we let go.

Is Moore going the key decision here? No.
Was it beyond the wit of a competent technical director to (a) spot that Moore was good enough and (b) anticipate some of the issues the squad might develop further down the line? I don't think it was.

Centre Forward on 15:09 - Jan 26 with 712 viewstextbackup

Even if Norwood was fit he needs 5/6 chances to score, and as we create 2/3 a game I don’t fancy his chances to fire them in

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Centre Forward on 15:13 - Jan 26 with 703 viewsPhilTWTD

Centre Forward on 13:48 - Jan 26 by istanblue

Up until yesterday Armand Gnanduillet was available on a free transfer. 28 years old, 18 goals for Blackpool last season and was relatively match fit having only left his previous club last month. Unfortunately ITFC miss the boat AGAIN and he's gone to Hearts in the Scottish Champ. Our scouting is abysmal.

We don't have room in the squad for another senior player as things stand.
Centre Forward on 15:17 - Jan 26 with 696 viewsRadlett_blue

Centre Forward on 14:35 - Jan 26 by Guthrum

If that means Nsiala is kept out of our penalty area, so much the better. He's like a far less competent version of Manuel Thetis.
I think he's injured so that's why Bagott could be on the bench tonight.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Centre Forward on 15:21 - Jan 26 with 692 viewsitfcjoe

Centre Forward on 11:16 - Jan 26 by jayessess

Comments like this are weirder, imo. It's the club's job to be good at judging their player's underlying abilities and potential, based on a whole bunch of things we never see. "The fans didn't rate him" is no excuse whatseover.

Also, he was poor for us but was jumping mid season from the 6th tier to the 2nd tier.

But we still owned him when he ripped up L1 on loan at Rotherham, and had a full pre season under his belt as a professional and a proper run in the team

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Centre Forward on 15:46 - Jan 26 with 663 viewsjayessess

Centre Forward on 15:21 - Jan 26 by itfcjoe

Also, he was poor for us but was jumping mid season from the 6th tier to the 2nd tier.

But we still owned him when he ripped up L1 on loan at Rotherham, and had a full pre season under his belt as a professional and a proper run in the team

Not dissimilar to Emmanuel, really. A fully-grown, adult player, who had already shown he could play league football at a high level and we've failed to properly evaluate his ability and failed to anticipate an entirely predictable future gap in the squad.

That supporters also didn't spot it is neither here nor there, we aren't paid full-time to work these things out.

Centre Forward on 15:50 - Jan 26 with 659 viewseasynote

Every club is looking for strikers we are Div 1 club with Div1 players so attracting a good striker is always going to be difficult I don’t rate Norwood even when he was playing regularly he wanted 10 chances to convert one lost count of the number of one on ones he swuanded
Centre Forward on 16:11 - Jan 26 with 642 viewslongtimefan

Centre Forward on 15:21 - Jan 26 by itfcjoe

But had we had kept him he wouldn’t have had a run in the team, with the strikers we had, he’d have had another season making occasional sub appearances. He knew this and he’d also had his head turned by the offer of wages much bigger than we were paying him. One thing MM definitely wasn’t was being a mug when it came to dealing with players. He knew Moore didn’t want to stay and probably felt it was in both parties interest to let him go. Perhaps not the best decision in hindsight but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Centre Forward on 16:13 - Jan 26 with 641 viewslongtimefan

Centre Forward on 15:46 - Jan 26 by jayessess

Not dissimilar to Emmanuel, really. A fully-grown, adult player, who had already shown he could play league football at a high level and we've failed to properly evaluate his ability and failed to anticipate an entirely predictable future gap in the squad.

That supporters also didn't spot it is neither here nor there, we aren't paid full-time to work these things out.

I noticed at the weekend he’s been on the bench for the last three matches.

Edit: on the bench again tonight.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 16:57]
Centre Forward on 16:20 - Jan 26 with 639 viewsjudespiveyg

Centre Forward on 10:28 - Jan 26 by longtimefan

Yep. Comments like this make me laugh. This is the same Kieffer Moore that was selected by many on here in their team of worst ever ITFC players

That's because he was absolute garbage for us. Seven foot three but didn't win anything in the air and couldn't jump.
For all anyone knew at the time the good form at Rotherham could have been a one off. You can only play for two clubs in a season so were we to play him we wouldn't have been able to sell him for £750000 that window. Added to the fact that Waghorn, Garner and McGoldrick were better options up front anyway. Selling him for that price at that time was the correct decision.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Centre Forward on 17:37 - Jan 26 with 601 viewsSteve_D

If we had a new centre forward it would mean we would have to pass the ball in the opposite direction to normal , not sure we train to kick the ball that way
Centre Forward on 18:05 - Jan 26 with 583 viewsWeWereZombies

Centre Forward on 16:20 - Jan 26 by judespiveyg

That's because he was absolute garbage for us. Seven foot three but didn't win anything in the air and couldn't jump.
For all anyone knew at the time the good form at Rotherham could have been a one off. You can only play for two clubs in a season so were we to play him we wouldn't have been able to sell him for £750000 that window. Added to the fact that Waghorn, Garner and McGoldrick were better options up front anyway. Selling him for that price at that time was the correct decision.

Since that 'one off' at Rotherham Moore has played fifty one games for Barnsley scoring twenty one goals, thirty six games for Wigan scoring ten goals and twenty games (so far) for Cardiff scoring eight goals...

Also made twelve appearances for the Welsh national team scoring four goals...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kieffer_Moore
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 16:42]

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024