Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UK holidays in May half term 12:07 - Jan 26 with 2200 viewsm14_blue

What do we reckon the chances are?
UK holidays in May half term on 12:12 - Jan 26 with 2188 viewsgiant_stow

I think it all depends on if that Brazillian variant takes root here or not.

My uneducated guess is that the govt will be using every track and trace resource to stop that happenning, so I make it 60/40 in favour of uk holidays being back on then.

Edit: in terms of whether to wait on booking or not, a small insight: my bro and mum have a holdiay cottage in norfolk that they let out. Bookings still scarce in April and May, but August almost full.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 12:15]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

UK holidays in May half term on 12:13 - Jan 26 with 2168 viewsfactual_blue

At a guess, everywhere is already booked.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

UK holidays in May half term on 12:14 - Jan 26 with 2171 viewsSwansea_Blue

Slim to none I'd guess. I'm going to have one humongous holiday when this is all over though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

UK holidays in May half term on 12:16 - Jan 26 with 2149 viewsfactual_blue

UK holidays in May half term on 12:14 - Jan 26 by Swansea_Blue

Slim to none I'd guess. I'm going to have one humongous holiday when this is all over though.

I'm trying not to think about the trip to the South Pacific we aren't going on next month...

UK holidays in May half term on 12:17 - Jan 26 with 2145 viewsgiant_stow

UK holidays in May half term on 12:16 - Jan 26 by factual_blue

I'm trying not to think about the trip to the South Pacific we aren't going on next month...

ouch.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

UK holidays in May half term on 12:20 - Jan 26 with 2122 viewsSwansea_Blue

UK holidays in May half term on 12:16 - Jan 26 by factual_blue

Aren't we? You never told me. Where weren't we going?

(ouch indeed)

UK holidays in May half term on 12:24 - Jan 26 with 2096 viewsfactual_blue

UK holidays in May half term on 12:20 - Jan 26 by Swansea_Blue

Aren't we? You never told me. Where weren't we going?

(ouch indeed)

'We' meaning the Factual Household, you daft taffy.

UK holidays in May half term on 12:27 - Jan 26 with 2083 viewsSwansea_Blue

UK holidays in May half term on 12:24 - Jan 26 by factual_blue

'We' meaning the Factual Household, you daft taffy.

You can go off people you know!

Login to get fewer ads

UK holidays in May half term on 12:30 - Jan 26 with 2075 viewsbluelagos

The figures in the Ipswich Star yesterday show new cases down over 25% week on week in Ipswich, East Suffolk and Babergh. But this is off very high rates obviously.

Ipswich went from 600 to 406 cases per 100k. So if (and "if" is a huge word) this reduction continues then we will get to a stage where the current cases are far lower than today. 10 weeks of similar drops would get us to a point of 20 cases per 100k.

So those saying "No chance" are perhaps being a bit pessimistic. If the rates of cases continue to drop at current rates we should definitely be seeing relaxations from the lockdown long before May. Whether that includes national holidays travel / holidays - who knows. But it is absolutely quite possible on current trajectories.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

UK holidays in May half term on 12:38 - Jan 26 with 2026 viewsipswich78

UK holidays in May half term on 12:30 - Jan 26 by bluelagos

The figures in the Ipswich Star yesterday show new cases down over 25% week on week in Ipswich, East Suffolk and Babergh. But this is off very high rates obviously.

Ipswich went from 600 to 406 cases per 100k. So if (and "if" is a huge word) this reduction continues then we will get to a stage where the current cases are far lower than today. 10 weeks of similar drops would get us to a point of 20 cases per 100k.

So those saying "No chance" are perhaps being a bit pessimistic. If the rates of cases continue to drop at current rates we should definitely be seeing relaxations from the lockdown long before May. Whether that includes national holidays travel / holidays - who knows. But it is absolutely quite possible on current trajectories.

In the current climate I would rather be pessimistic and be wrong, it'll be a nice surprise then!

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

UK holidays in May half term on 13:46 - Jan 26 with 1959 viewsfactual_blue

UK holidays in May half term on 12:27 - Jan 26 by Swansea_Blue

You can go off people you know!

UK holidays in May half term on 18:44 - Jan 26 with 1862 viewsmrshallisfit

UK holidays in May half term on 12:12 - Jan 26 by giant_stow

I think it all depends on if that Brazillian variant takes root here or not.

My uneducated guess is that the govt will be using every track and trace resource to stop that happenning, so I make it 60/40 in favour of uk holidays being back on then.

Edit: in terms of whether to wait on booking or not, a small insight: my bro and mum have a holdiay cottage in norfolk that they let out. Bookings still scarce in April and May, but August almost full.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 12:15]

Using every track and trace resource available? Phew. That's put my mind at rest.
UK holidays in May half term on 09:44 - Jan 27 with 1740 viewsMonkeyAlan

I'm sure the people who live wherever you are thinking of going don't want you. Stay at home. Do the right thing.
UK holidays in May half term on 10:00 - Jan 27 with 1715 viewsgiant_stow

UK holidays in May half term on 09:44 - Jan 27 by MonkeyAlan

I'm sure the people who live wherever you are thinking of going don't want you. Stay at home. Do the right thing.

I take it you're not in the tourism industry?

UK holidays in May half term on 10:02 - Jan 27 with 1707 viewsstantheman

If you think you need to get on a plane and queue up in foreign airports you need your head felt.
UK holidays in May half term on 10:03 - Jan 27 with 1705 viewshype313

UK holidays in May half term on 09:44 - Jan 27 by MonkeyAlan

Everyone over 50 will be vaccinated by the end of March, hospitals will be back to normal, why should we stay at home if the IFR is extremely low and the vunerable have been vaccinated?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

UK holidays in May half term on 11:06 - Jan 27 with 1634 viewsm14_blue

UK holidays in May half term on 10:02 - Jan 27 by stantheman

If you think you need to get on a plane and queue up in foreign airports you need your head felt.

Huh?
UK holidays in May half term on 11:31 - Jan 27 with 1575 viewsBlueNomad

UK holidays in May half term on 10:03 - Jan 27 by hype313

Everyone over 50 will be vaccinated by the end of March, hospitals will be back to normal, why should we stay at home if the IFR is extremely low and the vunerable have been vaccinated?

Hospitals won't be "back to normal" for years.

a) Massive backlog of people awaiting surgery
b) Fewer staff (lack of recruitment, Brexit, PTSD, sickness, leave etc)
c) New variants will emerge
d) No sign that China (and others) will change their animal welfare, markets etc)
UK holidays in May half term on 11:47 - Jan 27 with 1540 viewsstantheman

UK holidays in May half term on 11:06 - Jan 27 by m14_blue

Huh?

Fair point. The heading said UK hols not flying somewhere.
UK holidays in May half term on 11:50 - Jan 27 with 1534 viewsunbelievablue

I just booked a hotel for the Edinburgh Marathon (30th May) more in hope than expectation.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

UK holidays in May half term on 12:11 - Jan 27 with 1499 viewsGlasgowBlue

UK holidays in May half term on 11:50 - Jan 27 by unbelievablue

I just booked a hotel for the Edinburgh Marathon (30th May) more in hope than expectation.

I think you'll be ok for the hotel on 30 May but I can't see the marathon going ahead.

Big events need a lot of planning and organising. Event organisers are reluctant to undertake a commitment with so much uncertainty whereas hotels can open the minute Nicola Sturgeon gives the go ahead.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024