Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The pitch 18:28 - Feb 6 with 1606 viewsGeorge25

The pitch looks awful in places. Obviously the weather haven’t helped this year but look considerably poor this year. Has funding been cut or were they not able to there seasonal renovation due to Covid or something?
The pitch on 18:40 - Feb 6 with 1551 viewsunstableblue

Beast from the East not going to help that pitch either.

It was really hampering Matheson's first half,with it particualrly bad his side. I thought Kenlock dealt with it better.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

The pitch on 18:47 - Feb 6 with 1532 viewsChrisd

You think how good our pitch was in the past when it looked like a bowling green, won awards and now look at it, just mirrors the club currently.... tired and worn.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The pitch on 18:48 - Feb 6 with 1527 viewsDarth_Koont

Constant drainage/high water issue isn’t it? Suffolk must be one of the driest places in the UK.

Pronouns: He/Him

The pitch on 20:08 - Feb 6 with 1426 viewsRomeo4

Wait til you see the Peterborough pitch! Ours looks like a bowling green in comparison.
The pitch on 20:12 - Feb 6 with 1418 viewsCornishMariner

We've had record rainfall in East Anglia since the beginning of December- highest levels since 1915 - so it cannot all be down to the club. The worry is that it will only get worse over the next 2-3 weeks.

Poll: Between now and the new season will you mostly be ....

The pitch on 20:16 - Feb 6 with 1407 viewschrismakin

You can tell we aremt spending much on the pitch. Its desperate for some winter fertiliser and it's been seeded in the 18 yard boxes ( clubs dont seed during seasons they purchase very deep grown turf rolls which establish within 3 days under the halogen lights. To see new seeded areas shows we are scraping the pennies together for it

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

The pitch on 20:21 - Feb 6 with 1381 viewsJ2BLUE

The pitch on 20:16 - Feb 6 by chrismakin

You can tell we aremt spending much on the pitch. Its desperate for some winter fertiliser and it's been seeded in the 18 yard boxes ( clubs dont seed during seasons they purchase very deep grown turf rolls which establish within 3 days under the halogen lights. To see new seeded areas shows we are scraping the pennies together for it

Give it a few months and we'll just paint it green.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The pitch on 20:25 - Feb 6 with 1362 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Comparing it to Old Trafford pitch is just depressing.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

The pitch on 20:29 - Feb 6 with 1350 viewsDubtractor

The pitch on 18:48 - Feb 6 by Darth_Koont

Constant drainage/high water issue isn’t it? Suffolk must be one of the driest places in the UK.

In fairness it has been relentlessly wet for the last 4 or 5 months here.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The pitch on 20:33 - Feb 6 with 1344 viewsPhilTWTD

Plenty of fields around here are like lakes at the moment. The field opposite us has had standing water at times, which I can't remember before, so not just the pitch which is struggling with drainage.

That said, big work deep down is long overdue. The last work on the 'foundations', so to speak was done in the summer of 1977. Another one of the things which was pencilled in for the next stint in the Premier League.

Also, I don't think they did the annual renovation in the summer, most of the groundstaff were on furlough.
The pitch on 20:33 - Feb 6 with 1343 viewslongtimefan

The pitch on 20:16 - Feb 6 by chrismakin

Seeding during the season has been common at ITFC for many years. Have a look at link:
http://turfjournal.blogspot.com/

I’ve found this blog really interesting previously, but unfortunately it’s not been updated since Jan 20. Not sure if Ben Connell is still in place or not?
The pitch on 20:35 - Feb 6 with 1339 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

The pitch on 20:12 - Feb 6 by CornishMariner

We've had record rainfall in East Anglia since the beginning of December- highest levels since 1915 - so it cannot all be down to the club. The worry is that it will only get worse over the next 2-3 weeks.

This, plus can’t ignore geography. Within a flood zone, high water table due to the river. Doesn’t take much for Portman Road to flash flood these days.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

The pitch on 20:38 - Feb 6 with 1323 viewsJ2BLUE

The pitch on 20:33 - Feb 6 by PhilTWTD

Plenty of fields around here are like lakes at the moment. The field opposite us has had standing water at times, which I can't remember before, so not just the pitch which is struggling with drainage.

That said, big work deep down is long overdue. The last work on the 'foundations', so to speak was done in the summer of 1977. Another one of the things which was pencilled in for the next stint in the Premier League.

Also, I don't think they did the annual renovation in the summer, most of the groundstaff were on furlough.

Another one of the things which was pencilled in for the next stint in the Premier League.

Oh good, should be sometime in the next couple of centuries then.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The pitch on 20:43 - Feb 6 with 1303 viewsRocky

We might have to wait awhile then if we're waiting for a stint in the Premier League!
The pitch was never so good after we built and heightened the stands - less sunshine and less drying winds.
I still think one of the factors which was so important in the success of the Sir Alf years and beyond was the state of our pitch where you could play good passing football throughout the winter. Compared to grounds like White Hart Lane, Baseball Ground etc it really was like a bowling green.
The pitch on 20:44 - Feb 6 with 1302 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The pitch on 20:38 - Feb 6 by J2BLUE

Another one of the things which was pencilled in for the next stint in the Premier League.

Oh good, should be sometime in the next couple of centuries then.

The problem is that we hope to get the infrastructure right once we get there, using the money we would get once there.

We really should be keener to get as much as possible run like a Premier League club off the pitch instead. Compared to player wages, I wonder how much this, painting and cleaning the place and proper fitness conditioning would cost. Imagine having 2 or 3 fewer players but halving the amount of time lost for injuries we have.

Run the club like a League 1 or 2 club and guess where it is likely to be.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The pitch on 20:54 - Feb 6 with 1276 viewsGeoffSentence

Our pitch is built on a natural marsh. Bound to get a bit boggy when we have and extended moist period.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The pitch on 21:11 - Feb 6 with 1234 viewsGeorge25

The pitch on 20:08 - Feb 6 by Romeo4

Wait til you see the Peterborough pitch! Ours looks like a bowling green in comparison.

Yes ther pitch is horrendous in comparison to our. But I believe it was cause to external water pipe leakage under the pitch
The pitch on 21:12 - Feb 6 with 1230 viewsSamWhiteUK

The pitch on 18:47 - Feb 6 by Chrisd

You think how good our pitch was in the past when it looked like a bowling green, won awards and now look at it, just mirrors the club currently.... tired and worn.

Exactly what I said to my dad and brother. Sums up the club
The pitch on 21:14 - Feb 6 with 1225 viewschrismakin

Didnt they say its £100,000 to get the pitch redone.

It's amazing how we would need to wait to get to the prem to get that done. With the 8-9 Mill Evans has put in per season its baffling how he hasn't just put that in to get it done.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

The pitch on 21:15 - Feb 6 with 1224 viewsGeorge25

The pitch on 21:12 - Feb 6 by SamWhiteUK

Exactly what I said to my dad and brother. Sums up the club

Even the Astro around the pitch is now mossy and uneven cause it it to gather water. Surely that’s not good for the player when they run off the pitch from making a run etc
[Post edited 6 Feb 2021 21:15]
The pitch on 21:24 - Feb 6 with 1198 viewschrismakin

The pitch on 21:15 - Feb 6 by George25

Even the Astro around the pitch is now mossy and uneven cause it it to gather water. Surely that’s not good for the player when they run off the pitch from making a run etc
[Post edited 6 Feb 2021 21:15]

What would be interesting to know is how our training pitches compare to matchday pitches.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024