Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Superbowl fans 19:18 - Feb 7 with 2131 viewsbluelagos

Anyone got any good links to match previews.

Like an "idiots guide for brits with a very limited interest/knowledge but there's fck all else to get excited about at the moment so I might just watch a bit" type viewer.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Superbowl fans on 19:20 - Feb 7 with 1433 viewsJ2BLUE

It took me about two seasons to learn all the rules. Probably best to rely on the commentators. Although i'm sure there's a basic guide on Youtube.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Superbowl fans on 19:24 - Feb 7 with 1421 viewsbluelagos

Superbowl fans on 19:20 - Feb 7 by J2BLUE

It took me about two seasons to learn all the rules. Probably best to rely on the commentators. Although i'm sure there's a basic guide on Youtube.

I used to watch it when first on TV in the mid 80s (Channel 4). We even played a tag version at school as a sports teacher played the game (Canadian version - very similar) a couple of years earlier.

Colchester had a team and a junior team too. Not sure whatever happened to them.

Superbowl fans on 19:31 - Feb 7 with 1407 viewsbluefunk

Try this

The commentary will confuse the hell out of you though, just enjoy the best QB there’s ever been against a QB who might just be as good
Superbowl fans on 19:36 - Feb 7 with 1405 viewsChurchman

In terms of the basic rules the internet is probably the best source, for simplicity. A quick summary:

Basically, a team had to get the ball to the end zone. A Touchdown = 6 points. They don’t have to touch it down, just break the plane/line. They get the chance to kick an extra point, a bit like rugby.

You get 4 tries (downs) to get the ball 10 yards. You can run with the ball or the Quarterback can throw it. In reality, if you are down to your last go (4th down) you boot down the field or within 50 yards kick a field goal (3 points).

Each side has a defensive team, an offensive team and a special team for things like receiving the ball from a kick off or returning a 4th down punt.

The game has different players to do different things. The game is basically a form of chess with people. The most important players are the Quarterbacks. They are the on field generals. In tonight’s game, Tom Brady who is 43 is the greatest player to play the game and made his name in New England. Tonight he is playing for Tampa Bay. The Kansas Quarterback, Patrick Mahomes age 25 is the best, most exciting player Ive ever seen.

The game lasts an hour of actual play time. Because of breaks and stoppages, it takes a lot longer than that!
Superbowl fans on 19:45 - Feb 7 with 1383 viewsbluelagos

Superbowl fans on 19:36 - Feb 7 by Churchman

In terms of the basic rules the internet is probably the best source, for simplicity. A quick summary:

Basically, a team had to get the ball to the end zone. A Touchdown = 6 points. They don’t have to touch it down, just break the plane/line. They get the chance to kick an extra point, a bit like rugby.

You get 4 tries (downs) to get the ball 10 yards. You can run with the ball or the Quarterback can throw it. In reality, if you are down to your last go (4th down) you boot down the field or within 50 yards kick a field goal (3 points).

Each side has a defensive team, an offensive team and a special team for things like receiving the ball from a kick off or returning a 4th down punt.

The game has different players to do different things. The game is basically a form of chess with people. The most important players are the Quarterbacks. They are the on field generals. In tonight’s game, Tom Brady who is 43 is the greatest player to play the game and made his name in New England. Tonight he is playing for Tampa Bay. The Kansas Quarterback, Patrick Mahomes age 25 is the best, most exciting player Ive ever seen.

The game lasts an hour of actual play time. Because of breaks and stoppages, it takes a lot longer than that!

Sorry guys. I sort of know the rules.

I meant as in a match preview detailing the teams involved, how they got their, there strengths etc.

But still idiot standard as I don't watch it much, just caught a couple of the BBC thingys after MOTD this year.

Edit: Almost like a Rommy preview of a race.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 19:47]

Superbowl fans on 19:54 - Feb 7 with 1354 viewsRyorry

Superbowl fans on 19:45 - Feb 7 by bluelagos

I meant as in a match preview detailing the teams involved, how they got their, there strengths etc.

But still idiot standard as I don't watch it much, just caught a couple of the BBC thingys after MOTD this year.

Me too - I'd like a good reason to support either team, for added interest. Not usually a fan of American Football, but any big event live is exciting & an appealing distraction atm!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Superbowl fans on 20:00 - Feb 7 with 1347 viewsbluelagos

Superbowl fans on 19:54 - Feb 7 by Ryorry

Me too - I'd like a good reason to support either team, for added interest. Not usually a fan of American Football, but any big event live is exciting & an appealing distraction atm!

Google found me this

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/07/brady-v-mahomes-a-cross-generation

Seems like it is an experienced pro vs a young upstart. Plus a few team mates.

Superbowl fans on 20:03 - Feb 7 with 1334 viewsChurchman

Superbowl fans on 19:45 - Feb 7 by bluelagos

The BBC American football programme is quite good for that sort of thing. But basically:
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are at home (by chance). They started the season slowly while new QB Tom Brady settled in. Then they started beating up on teams. They finished the season 11-5. In the play offs they won in Washington, New Orleans then Green Bay to make the final. They score for fun and have shown spirit and resilience in the latter part of the season.

Defending Champions Kansas City Chiefs finished 14-2, the best record in the season so had a bye in the first round of the play offs. In the play offs they beat Cleveland and Buffalo to make the Superbowl. Kansas are good all round with a brilliant QB. They have the ability to destroy a team in a short space of time.

Of the two, Kansas should win on balance, but it will be close and i would not be at all surprised if Tampa came out on top.
Login to get fewer ads

Superbowl fans on 20:11 - Feb 7 with 1313 viewsRyorry

Superbowl fans on 20:00 - Feb 7 by bluelagos

Google found me this

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/07/brady-v-mahomes-a-cross-generation

Seems like it is an experienced pro vs a young upstart. Plus a few team mates.

Cheers (Churchman too) - I'd like a different team to win this year, so will root for Tampa Bay! 👍 🏉

Superbowl fans on 20:13 - Feb 7 with 1305 viewsbluelagos

Superbowl fans on 20:03 - Feb 7 by Churchman

The BBC American football programme is quite good for that sort of thing. But basically:
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are at home (by chance). They started the season slowly while new QB Tom Brady settled in. Then they started beating up on teams. They finished the season 11-5. In the play offs they won in Washington, New Orleans then Green Bay to make the final. They score for fun and have shown spirit and resilience in the latter part of the season.

Defending Champions Kansas City Chiefs finished 14-2, the best record in the season so had a bye in the first round of the play offs. In the play offs they beat Cleveland and Buffalo to make the Superbowl. Kansas are good all round with a brilliant QB. They have the ability to destroy a team in a short space of time.

Of the two, Kansas should win on balance, but it will be close and i would not be at all surprised if Tampa came out on top.

Thanks.

Superbowl fans on 20:15 - Feb 7 with 1303 viewsChurchman

Superbowl fans on 20:11 - Feb 7 by Ryorry

Cheers (Churchman too) - I'd like a different team to win this year, so will root for Tampa Bay! 👍 🏉

Much as i like watching the Chiefs QB, I too would like Bucs to win. Somebody different
Superbowl fans on 20:28 - Feb 7 with 1287 viewsFixed_It

Superbowl fans on 20:03 - Feb 7 by Churchman

I don't really follow it, but I am aware of Tom Brady's story. Has he still got his mojo these days? I believe he is on his forties now which seems pretty old.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Superbowl fans on 20:33 - Feb 7 with 1271 viewsJ2BLUE

Superbowl fans on 20:28 - Feb 7 by Fixed_It

I don't really follow it, but I am aware of Tom Brady's story. Has he still got his mojo these days? I believe he is on his forties now which seems pretty old.

He's been counted out many times and each time he comes back. Wouldn't be surprised if he retires after this Super Bowl if Tampa win. He'd have added one final layer of cement to an already incredible legacy.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Superbowl fans on 20:34 - Feb 7 with 1267 viewsfactual_blue

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Superbowl fans on 20:39 - Feb 7 with 1259 viewsChurchman

Superbowl fans on 20:28 - Feb 7 by Fixed_It

He is 43 and well old even for a Quarterback. Yes, he has his motivation. It was said that his success was down to New England coach Bill Bellichick and i think he wishes to prove that wrong.

Longevity depends largely on what position you play. Running Backs, people who run through the defensive line like battering rams last a max 5 years if they are exceptional, for example
Superbowl fans on 00:05 - Feb 8 with 1140 viewsRyorry

Superbowl fans on 20:39 - Feb 7 by Churchman

He is 43 and well old even for a Quarterback. Yes, he has his motivation. It was said that his success was down to New England coach Bill Bellichick and i think he wishes to prove that wrong.

Longevity depends largely on what position you play. Running Backs, people who run through the defensive line like battering rams last a max 5 years if they are exceptional, for example

43 going on 25 - I'll have some of what he's on!

Superbowl fans on 00:13 - Feb 8 with 1133 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Gronk!!
Superbowl fans on 00:14 - Feb 8 with 1131 viewsunstableblue

Superbowl fans on 00:13 - Feb 8 by DropCliffsNotBombs

Gronk!!

Just what the game needed... clever play

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Superbowl fans on 00:17 - Feb 8 with 1122 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Superbowl fans on 00:14 - Feb 8 by unstableblue

Been an intriguing first quarter. Few nearly moments for chiefs and a nice spell for Buccs before the TD.
Superbowl fans on 00:21 - Feb 8 with 1117 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Superbowl fans on 20:33 - Feb 7 by J2BLUE

He's been counted out many times and each time he comes back. Wouldn't be surprised if he retires after this Super Bowl if Tampa win. He'd have added one final layer of cement to an already incredible legacy.

Given he’s on record as saying he wants to be playing at 45 I doubt he’ll retire, regardless of the outcome

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Superbowl fans on 00:23 - Feb 8 with 1109 viewschrismakin

erm, Quaterbacks, are they the ones who receive the ball from 'scrum type thing' or are they the ones on the flanks?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Superbowl fans on 00:24 - Feb 8 with 1106 viewsRyorry

Superbowl fans on 00:14 - Feb 8 by unstableblue

Really nice work that!

Superbowl fans on 00:25 - Feb 8 with 1101 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Superbowl fans on 00:23 - Feb 8 by chrismakin

erm, Quaterbacks, are they the ones who receive the ball from 'scrum type thing' or are they the ones on the flanks?

In simple terms, they’re the ones that throw it

(Next play after chrismakin reads this nailed on to be a trick play now)
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 0:26]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Superbowl fans on 00:25 - Feb 8 with 1099 viewsRyorry

Superbowl fans on 00:23 - Feb 8 by chrismakin

I think they're the ones who throw the ball. But I'm defo no expert!

Superbowl fans on 00:29 - Feb 8 with 1087 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Huge defensive effort from KC
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024