Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Makin- Europe still possible. 21:10 - Feb 8 with 1951 viewsBluespeed225

Said the player on this day in 02’! We really were just about safe weren’t we, it was in our hands.
Makin- Europe still possible. on 21:18 - Feb 8 with 1925 viewsBlueBadger

At this point in the season we were on a Finidi-inspired surge up the table which had taken us from bottom to 12th. Sadly it was about to be brought to a crashing halt by a 6-0 home defeat to Liverpool.

Possibly the best display by any opposition team I've ever witnessed at Portman Road and certainly the only time I've ever applauded an opposition team off.

And we never recovered from it. Humbling as that 6-0 was, the 3-1 home defeat to Southampton that followed was considerably more humiliating given that we made Chris Marsden, who would have 'journeyman' written through like a stick of rock if you were to cut him in half, look like Maradonna at his peak.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001—02_Ipswich_Town_F.C._season#Matches
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 21:22]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Makin- Europe still possible. on 11:40 - Feb 9 with 1720 viewschrismakin

Didnt our run start with a win at spurs and then end with a loss against spurs?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Makin- Europe still possible. on 11:48 - Feb 9 with 1705 viewsHerbivore

Makin- Europe still possible. on 11:40 - Feb 9 by chrismakin

Didnt our run start with a win at spurs and then end with a loss against spurs?

Don't think so. Think it started at home against Leicester but could be wrong.

The 6-0 loss to Liverpool killed all of our confidence and momentum that season it seemed. We never really recovered from that result and given our run in we never looked like escaping once we dropped back into the bottom 3.

So many moments that season where we could have got out of it. Losing from being 2-0 up at Charlton, a game where they should have been down to 10 men as well but the ref bottled it and they got back into it. The late home defeat to Charlton in a game where they'd hardly had a shot. The Saints game was a great chance to get a vital win and we just didn't turn up, similar happened at Bolton as well.

That season was heartbreaking.

Edit - just checked and we did indeed beat Spurs the game before beating Leicester. We also beat them at home later in our good run.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2021 11:51]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Makin- Europe still possible. on 11:53 - Feb 9 with 1682 viewsartsbossbeard

Makin- Europe still possible. on 11:48 - Feb 9 by Herbivore

The 6-0 loss to Liverpool killed all of our confidence and momentum that season it seemed. We never really recovered from that result and given our run in we never looked like escaping once we dropped back into the bottom 3.

So many moments that season where we could have got out of it. Losing from being 2-0 up at Charlton, a game where they should have been down to 10 men as well but the ref bottled it and they got back into it. The late home defeat to Charlton in a game where they'd hardly had a shot. The Saints game was a great chance to get a vital win and we just didn't turn up, similar happened at Bolton as well.

Edit - just checked and we did indeed beat Spurs the game before beating Leicester. We also beat them at home later in our good run.

It pains me to say this but that Liverpool performance was one of the best team displays I've seen at Fortress PR.

Hyppia at the back for them was absolutely immense.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Makin- Europe still possible. on 11:55 - Feb 9 with 1669 viewsHerbivore

Makin- Europe still possible. on 11:53 - Feb 9 by artsbossbeard

It pains me to say this but that Liverpool performance was one of the best team displays I've seen at Fortress PR.

Wasn't the first half actually fairly competitive? Can't remember now. That said, it showed the fragility of the squad that we couldn't just write it off as one of those days and go again. The run of form after that game in contrast to the run that preceded it is night and day.

Makin- Europe still possible. on 11:55 - Feb 9 with 1670 viewsSomethingBlue

I remember beating Everton away and saying to my dad "well at least we can forget about relegation now".

Quite a 19 years since then ...

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Makin- Europe still possible. on 11:58 - Feb 9 with 1650 viewschrismakin

Liverpool were that good. Andy Marshall got MOTM despite conceding 6!!!

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Makin- Europe still possible. on 12:00 - Feb 9 with 1645 viewsSteve_M

Liverpool were very good that day though.

And yet, Peralta nearly equalised just before half-time. Was a good save but then Heskey went up the other end and made it 2-0.

Burley made a big error putting on Armstrong as an early sub for (I think) Jermaine Wright rather than Magilton. We lost the midfield badly until he belatedly bought Jim on late in the game.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2021 12:08]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Makin- Europe still possible. on 12:03 - Feb 9 with 1638 viewsSomethingBlue

Makin- Europe still possible. on 12:00 - Feb 9 by Steve_M

And yet, Peralta nearly equalised just before half-time. Was a good save but then Heskey went up the other end and made it 2-0.

Burley made a big error putting on Armstrong as an early sub for (I think) Jermaine Wright rather than Magilton. We lost the midfield badly until he belatedly bought Jim on late in the game.

Stephen Wright should of course have been sent off for that foul on Jamma — it was an absolute shocker and we were only one down I think. I mean OK we were abject and might still have been smashed but games turn on this stuff.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2021 12:03]

Makin- Europe still possible. on 12:03 - Feb 9 with 1636 viewsitfcjoe

Makin- Europe still possible. on 11:55 - Feb 9 by Herbivore

Wasn't the first half actually fairly competitive? Can't remember now. That said, it showed the fragility of the squad that we couldn't just write it off as one of those days and go again. The run of form after that game in contrast to the run that preceded it is night and day.

There was a 2-3 week break after that game that killed us as well

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Makin- Europe still possible. on 12:03 - Feb 9 with 1629 viewsSteve_M

Makin- Europe still possible. on 11:48 - Feb 9 by Herbivore

Two games in the Autumn: conceding a late equaliser at Leicester after Sereni had been sent off and then a disallowed last minute 'winner' against Blackburn the following week. Had we won one of those the whole season might have been different.

Spurs away remains one of my favourite away wins even after all that followed, first win in months just such a good day.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Makin- Europe still possible. on 12:04 - Feb 9 with 1628 viewschrismakin

Makin- Europe still possible. on 12:03 - Feb 9 by itfcjoe

There was a 2-3 week break after that game that killed us as well

Was that the break where Stewart had his jaw broken

That's what I'm hoping.... on 12:05 - Feb 9 with 1619 viewsBloots

Makin- Europe still possible. on 11:55 - Feb 9 by SomethingBlue

I remember beating Everton away and saying to my dad "well at least we can forget about relegation now".

Quite a 19 years since then ...

.....to be able to say after tonight's game.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Makin- Europe still possible. on 12:06 - Feb 9 with 1617 viewsHerbivore

Makin- Europe still possible. on 12:03 - Feb 9 by SomethingBlue

Stephen Wright should of course have been sent off for that foul on Jamma — it was an absolute shocker and we were only one down I think. I mean OK we were abject and might still have been smashed but games turn on this stuff.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2021 12:03]

That seemed to happen a fair bit that season, some awful challenges not being properly punished against us and the odd pretty dubious red card being handed out to us in return. I'm thinking Stewart versus Leeds here in particular, the theatrical leap from Ian Harte being massively out of kilter with the force of the challenge.

Makin- Europe still possible. on 12:09 - Feb 9 with 1601 viewsitfcjoe

Makin- Europe still possible. on 12:06 - Feb 9 by Herbivore

That seemed to happen a fair bit that season, some awful challenges not being properly punished against us and the odd pretty dubious red card being handed out to us in return. I'm thinking Stewart versus Leeds here in particular, the theatrical leap from Ian Harte being massively out of kilter with the force of the challenge.

That was the year before, I think McGreal's red at Stamford Bridge was that year and very harsh

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Makin- Europe still possible. on 12:16 - Feb 9 with 1591 viewsHerbivore

Makin- Europe still possible. on 12:09 - Feb 9 by itfcjoe

That was the year before, I think McGreal's red at Stamford Bridge was that year and very harsh

Was it? I'd remembered it being that season for some reason. I definitely remember watching us play Leeds at home on Sky that season and feeling a sense of injustice hut perhaps there were other reasons for that.

Makin- Europe still possible. on 12:45 - Feb 9 with 1540 viewsTieDyedIn95

Makin- Europe still possible. on 11:58 - Feb 9 by chrismakin

Liverpool were that good. Andy Marshall got MOTM despite conceding 6!!!

Marshall was one of the most unfairly maligned signings of any era. There were mobs of our fans literally waiting for him to make a cock up and get on his back, just because he played for Norwich, he kept it to 6 when it could have been 10 or 12 against one of the best sides of that generation. He had big shoes to fill, but should have been given a chance here. He went on to play in the FA Cup final following leaving and was also player of the year at Coventry while he was there. In that same period after Davis left we must have gone through 4 or 5 goalies who weren't even as good as Marshall was!

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Makin- Europe still possible. on 12:52 - Feb 9 with 1528 viewsHerbivore

Makin- Europe still possible. on 12:45 - Feb 9 by TieDyedIn95

Marshall was one of the most unfairly maligned signings of any era. There were mobs of our fans literally waiting for him to make a cock up and get on his back, just because he played for Norwich, he kept it to 6 when it could have been 10 or 12 against one of the best sides of that generation. He had big shoes to fill, but should have been given a chance here. He went on to play in the FA Cup final following leaving and was also player of the year at Coventry while he was there. In that same period after Davis left we must have gone through 4 or 5 goalies who weren't even as good as Marshall was!

Marshall was crap.

Makin- Europe still possible. on 13:24 - Feb 9 with 1489 viewsMoisha

Makin- Europe still possible. on 12:03 - Feb 9 by Steve_M

Two games in the Autumn: conceding a late equaliser at Leicester after Sereni had been sent off and then a disallowed last minute 'winner' against Blackburn the following week. Had we won one of those the whole season might have been different.

Spurs away remains one of my favourite away wins even after all that followed, first win in months just such a good day.

We also had two home games at Easter, Villa on the Saturday when we hit the post and Schmeichal made two blinding saves.
Chelsea Easter Monday when Marcus Bent had his penalty saved.
Both games finished 0-0.
Makin- Europe still possible. on 13:31 - Feb 9 with 1473 viewsvapour_trail

Makin- Europe still possible. on 12:45 - Feb 9 by TieDyedIn95

Marshall was sh1t. A footballer who couldn’t kick a football. You’re correct about the grief he took because of where he came from, but he was also sh1t.

Horrible season that was, with only that little good run in the middle. It was the defeat to Villa when I felt we were done. The only route out was to sack Burley and we clearly weren’t willing to do that due to the previous season.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Makin- Europe still possible. on 13:35 - Feb 9 with 1461 viewsSomethingBlue

Makin- Europe still possible. on 13:24 - Feb 9 by Moisha

We also had two home games at Easter, Villa on the Saturday when we hit the post and Schmeichal made two blinding saves.
Chelsea Easter Monday when Marcus Bent had his penalty saved.
Both games finished 0-0.

Should have won those although my main memory of the Villa game is Sereni making literally one of the best saves I've ever seen at the end — Hitzlsperger driven corner inadvertently flicked on by Magilton at near post and somehow he clawed tipped it onto the far post. Never seen a replay of it, as far as I remember, but remember it was jawdropping at the time.

Makin- Europe still possible. on 13:36 - Feb 9 with 1459 viewsEnigma_Blue

To be fair to Makin, we did actually make Europe, through Fair Play.
Makin- Europe still possible. on 13:58 - Feb 9 with 1423 viewsRadlett_blue

Makin- Europe still possible. on 12:00 - Feb 9 by Steve_M

Yes, I fancies our chances against Liverpool that day as we'd won 7 of our last 8 league games. They only took the lead with a scuffed, deflected shot after a corner & if Dudek hadn't made a great save from Peralta we would have equalised. I'm still annoyed that Stephen Wright wasn't sent off for his assault on Jamma & even ore annoyed with GB for bringing on Marcus Stewart to replace him, rather than Super Jim. Another of GB's mind boggling decisions that season. Conceding just before half time was a choker, but oddly 4 of Liverpool's 6 goals were breakaways. We clearly didn't learn as pretty much the same thing happened in the last game of the season at Anfield.
That game in itself shouldn't have been a death knell, but the abysmal performance against a very ordinary Southampton team after a 3 week break was a shocker. Capitulating at Bolton was the final straw.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024