Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Jewell 16:27 - Feb 12 with 3084 viewsSmithy

Just read the article on the BBC, comes across very well. Genuinely nice guy, who knew when his time was up at Town and seemed genuinely distraught at not being able to make things work. Am I right in thinking he offered his resignation rather than was sacked (although that was probably coming) and that he had a hand in Micks appointment as his successor?

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Paul Jewell on 16:37 - Feb 12 with 3011 viewsIllinoisblue

The most telling part was the fact he was unemployed for three years before joining us. Along come Ipswich...

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Paul Jewell on 16:39 - Feb 12 with 2996 viewsCoastalblue

I think he tendered his resignation more than once and Marcus turned it down, that does make you wonder....

I liked Jewel, he was crap while he was here but seemed a decent bloke and he wasn't RK.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Paul Jewell on 16:43 - Feb 12 with 2971 viewsBeckets

Paul Jewell on 16:37 - Feb 12 by Illinoisblue

The most telling part was the fact he was unemployed for three years before joining us. Along come Ipswich...

Evans due diligence before appointing his managers, with the exception of MM, has been scandalously poor or possibly non existent.
Paul Jewell on 16:47 - Feb 12 with 2941 viewsHerbivore

Jewell was a decent bloke who knew he'd done a terrible job here and that his time was up. He always seemed like he was trying but he just didn't have it anymore, aside from the occasional random blinding performance or unexpected unbeaten run. Contrast him with Lambert, who seemingly couldn't give two sh!ts and is just waiting for a pay off, and it's night and day.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Paul Jewell on 16:47 - Feb 12 with 2941 viewsBlueWorldOrder

Paul Jewell on 16:39 - Feb 12 by Coastalblue

I think he tendered his resignation more than once and Marcus turned it down, that does make you wonder....

I liked Jewel, he was crap while he was here but seemed a decent bloke and he wasn't RK.

Yeah he tired to leave immediately following 2011-12 having realised it was not working out but Evans was keen to have a man in post and refused to accept him going. He was a rubbish manager, terrible at Derby before us and should have been appointed here but wasn't a bad guy. I softened to Keane after reading his book about his time here. The idea that during his entire tenure he never once had a proper meeting with Evans and Clegg, and Clegg would pay over the odds for some players Keane only shortlisted and refused to pay the right wages to others he really wanted suggests that that Evans chaos was there from the start. Just what were they playing at?

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

Paul Jewell on 16:48 - Feb 12 with 2924 viewsBlueBadger

Several times, I believe.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Paul Jewell on 16:54 - Feb 12 with 2886 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Paul Jewell on 16:37 - Feb 12 by Illinoisblue

And yet the weird thing was his start here was actually outstanding. After we lost his first game we were unbeaten for the next 6 (including the Colin Healy masterclass at Donny), then had a short meh period before winning 4 of 5 leading into the Norwich game. At that point we’d taken 31 points from 18 (PLAYOFF FORM - no laughing at the back) and he was looking an inspired appointment

Then Norwich thrashed us, Swansea the same a few days later and it all went downhill from there - bar the odd short run which rather put that initial spell into context

I think it’s Texters that has often said he should have been sacked on the spot after that Norwich game, which would have been absolutely ridiculous at the time but obviously with hindsight would have saved the destruction which followed!
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 16:55]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Paul Jewell on 16:54 - Feb 12 with 2886 viewsDanTheMan

Paul Jewell on 16:39 - Feb 12 by Coastalblue

This.

In the Keane Vs. Jewell argument, both were pretty much on par in terms of ability, but Jewell wasn't a complete bell end.

Shame it didn't work out here for him.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Jewell on 17:01 - Feb 12 with 2841 viewsgainsboroughblue

Paul Jewell on 16:54 - Feb 12 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

And yet the weird thing was his start here was actually outstanding. After we lost his first game we were unbeaten for the next 6 (including the Colin Healy masterclass at Donny), then had a short meh period before winning 4 of 5 leading into the Norwich game. At that point we’d taken 31 points from 18 (PLAYOFF FORM - no laughing at the back) and he was looking an inspired appointment

Then Norwich thrashed us, Swansea the same a few days later and it all went downhill from there - bar the odd short run which rather put that initial spell into context

I think it’s Texters that has often said he should have been sacked on the spot after that Norwich game, which would have been absolutely ridiculous at the time but obviously with hindsight would have saved the destruction which followed!
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 16:55]

Not as ridiculous as a manager being sacked after BEATING Norwich. Our last win against them. Coming up for 12 years ago.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Paul Jewell on 17:08 - Feb 12 with 2783 viewsrgp1

Paul Jewell on 17:01 - Feb 12 by gainsboroughblue

Not as ridiculous as a manager being sacked after BEATING Norwich. Our last win against them. Coming up for 12 years ago.

In context hasn't there been around 6 or 7 seasons in that time when we haven't faced the inbreds?
Paul Jewell on 17:42 - Feb 12 with 2659 viewswkj

I felt for PJ as he was clearly giving it a go and wanted to make his time here a success. You could see he was professionally broken at the end. I was a little sad to see him go on the personal level, although letting him go was correct in footballing terms.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Paul Jewell on 20:49 - Feb 12 with 2369 viewsistanblue

Apparently Evans tried to convince Jewell to stay on but Jewell honourably walked away as he realised his time was up here. That's why it was a mutual termination of contract rather than a sacking. Reflects well on Jewell, but terribly on Evans if he still thought PJ could turn things round. Perhaps it isn't surprising that he still thinks Lambert can turn things around now. Utter joke of an owner! #EvansOut
Paul Jewell on 21:13 - Feb 12 with 2319 viewsgainsboroughblue

Paul Jewell on 17:08 - Feb 12 by rgp1

In context hasn't there been around 6 or 7 seasons in that time when we haven't faced the inbreds?

12 games then. Doesn't sound any better does it?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Paul Jewell on 23:09 - Feb 12 with 2174 viewslambchoppywaters

Paul Jewell on 21:13 - Feb 12 by gainsboroughblue

12 games then. Doesn't sound any better does it?

Indeed and until fans are sensible enough to admit that they have been the bigger and better club we won’t dig ourselves out of this.
Paul Jewell on 23:11 - Feb 12 with 2163 viewsFunge

Paul Jewell on 23:09 - Feb 12 by lambchoppywaters

Indeed and until fans are sensible enough to admit that they have been the bigger and better club we won’t dig ourselves out of this.

Get fcked, budgie.
Paul Jewell on 10:07 - Feb 13 with 1870 viewsDarth_Koont

Jewell set us further back than any manager* we’ve had in my lifetime. Spending more than any other manager, he left us rooted at the foot of the table with an old, expensive team he’d assembled and the academy/young player pipeline shut down.

He always had my sympathy and he seemed a genuinely nice guy too. But goes to show that we should never be swayed by personal feelings – for or against. Ultimately, it’s all about how a manager helps us with our short-term and long-term goals.

*Hurst was more damaging but over a much shorter period. And there was still time to reverse the errors. Unfortunately we didn’t and have added new ones since.

Pronouns: He/Him

Paul Jewell on 10:10 - Feb 13 with 1859 viewsbournemouthblue

Paul Jewell on 10:07 - Feb 13 by Darth_Koont

Jewell set us further back than any manager* we’ve had in my lifetime. Spending more than any other manager, he left us rooted at the foot of the table with an old, expensive team he’d assembled and the academy/young player pipeline shut down.

He always had my sympathy and he seemed a genuinely nice guy too. But goes to show that we should never be swayed by personal feelings – for or against. Ultimately, it’s all about how a manager helps us with our short-term and long-term goals.

*Hurst was more damaging but over a much shorter period. And there was still time to reverse the errors. Unfortunately we didn’t and have added new ones since.

In fairness to Jewell, he at least left us with the players to get us out of the mess

He went a bit crazy with the attacking players and forgot to sign a defence although in fairness he did sign Cresswell and Chambers who both proved to be successful signings?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Paul Jewell on 10:41 - Feb 13 with 1820 viewsDarth_Koont

Paul Jewell on 10:10 - Feb 13 by bournemouthblue

In fairness to Jewell, he at least left us with the players to get us out of the mess

He went a bit crazy with the attacking players and forgot to sign a defence although in fairness he did sign Cresswell and Chambers who both proved to be successful signings?

You’re right re: some of the players but we were certainly missing the spine of a team. Getting the players who had gotten us into the mess to work as a unit was impressive – but the signing of N’Daw was particularly inspired. It wasn’t pretty as N’Daw was there to bolt down the midfield alongside Hyam but it saved us that season.

After that he signed Berra, Skuse and McGoldrick (with Murphy also moving more centrally). By the time we got Bart we were a team that could lead the league at Christmas. That was the spine and structure the team needed, which seemed to pass Jewell by.

Actually, thinking about it, this seems to be what is passing Lambert by. There are candidates but no-one particularly stands out in those central positions. Downes and/or Dozzell should work but for different reasons and injuries have fallen just a bit short. But we seem to be even further away at keeper, CB and CF.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024