Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? 12:17 - Feb 22 with 5856 viewsIP4_Blue

My grandad played for Town in the 50's I still got his players pass before he passed away in 2003, remember my dad getting a card signed by Sheepshanks he was so taken back from it
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:37 - Feb 22 with 988 viewsMattinLondon

When I was six or seven I had a shot saved by the away teams reserve keeper (or member of staff). From what my dad told me the keeper didn’t let anyone score past him despite the fact we were all very young and was very miserable.
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:39 - Feb 22 with 977 viewswkj

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:37 - Feb 22 by MattinLondon

When I was six or seven I had a shot saved by the away teams reserve keeper (or member of staff). From what my dad told me the keeper didn’t let anyone score past him despite the fact we were all very young and was very miserable.

Your last few words sound like our first team right now- also unable to score goals.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:41 - Feb 22 with 970 viewshype313

No, but my cousin is lee Bradbury who played for Pompey and City amongst others.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:42 - Feb 22 with 961 viewsIllinoisblue

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:25 - Feb 22 by dickie

One of my best mates is the cousin of Stuart Slater... I regularly send him a link to this site when SS is described as one of our worst ever players
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 13:49]

Harsh! He was more disappointing than terrible, if that makes sense. 750k was a lot of money back then. Side note, Slater’s been on twitter recently showing off his scrapbooks, newspaper cuttings and old shirts from his career. An almost child-like love of the game which was great to see

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:43 - Feb 22 with 942 viewsPJH

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:42 - Feb 22 by Illinoisblue

Harsh! He was more disappointing than terrible, if that makes sense. 750k was a lot of money back then. Side note, Slater’s been on twitter recently showing off his scrapbooks, newspaper cuttings and old shirts from his career. An almost child-like love of the game which was great to see

Yes I think disappointing rather than terrible.

I think we expected more because he seemed pretty good when he burst on the scene at West Ham.
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:48 - Feb 22 with 939 viewsPendejo

There's a possibility that James Pullen is a cousin of mine paternal grandmother's side of the family. Never really thought about it until I found a pair of ITFC goalkeeper shirts in a charity shop in Eltham, by which time I think he was with AFC Wimbledon.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:49 - Feb 22 with 935 viewsjeera

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:32 - Feb 22 by IP4_Blue

Only played a handful of times not like 100's of games.

I have his Town players pass

Fair enough mate!

Didn't mean any offence - just playing along with the unusual name there.

I'd be chuffed if that were my grandad.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:53 - Feb 22 with 924 viewsPendejo

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:26 - Feb 22 by Sarge

My cousin is Brian Talbot. I think.

Some permutation of cousin anyway. But he’s 40 years older than me and I’ve never met him!

Talbot has quite a large family as I understand it - in terms of cousins that is.

Folks 2 doors along from my father are related to him and he visited them occasionally, even played cricket in the street once.

A guy in my brother's year at school claimed to be related to him and switched allegiance to Arsenal when he signed for them. This guy is also the only face I can see and recognise clearly in footage of PO Final 2000

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:55 - Feb 22 with 926 viewsmo_itfc

Not a relative... but a friend of mine got his only ever red card against Ipswich at Portman Road, he was the last defender and took down Alex Mathie.

He'd forgotten about it and was telling everyone he'd never been sent off before, thankfully a quick google proved him wrong!

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:01 - Feb 22 with 906 viewsMattinLondon

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:55 - Feb 22 by mo_itfc

Not a relative... but a friend of mine got his only ever red card against Ipswich at Portman Road, he was the last defender and took down Alex Mathie.

He'd forgotten about it and was telling everyone he'd never been sent off before, thankfully a quick google proved him wrong!

Who did he play for?
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:02 - Feb 22 with 901 viewsmo_itfc

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:01 - Feb 22 by MattinLondon

Who did he play for?

Fulham at the time.

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:14 - Feb 22 with 866 viewsMedwayTractor

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:30 - Feb 22 by PJH

Reg Pickett was my first thought but time scale not right.

Neil Myles perhaps?

I always thought the captaincy in the 50's went from Tommy Parker, then Reg Pickett, to Andy Nelson. Just had a butchers (pun intended) at Wikipedia, confirms this.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:15 - Feb 22 with 862 viewsitfcjoe

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:14 - Feb 22 by MedwayTractor

I always thought the captaincy in the 50's went from Tommy Parker, then Reg Pickett, to Andy Nelson. Just had a butchers (pun intended) at Wikipedia, confirms this.

Pride Of Anglia is always more reliable and shows this:

Len Tyler 1950-52
Tommy Parker 1951-57
Basil Acres 1956-57
Doug Rees 1956-58
Reg Pickett 1957-60
Andy Nelson 1960-64

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:18 - Feb 22 with 850 viewsWestover

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:30 - Feb 22 by PJH

Reg Pickett was my first thought but time scale not right.

Neil Myles perhaps?

Basil Acres, he played right back but last game of the season Tom Garneys was injured so they put him up front at Southampton, Town had to win to get promoted they did, Basil scored the second goal and we went upon goal difference, I had a newspaper photo of him scoring but unfortunately lost it many years ago.
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:23 - Feb 22 with 829 viewsIP4_Blue

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:49 - Feb 22 by jeera

Fair enough mate!

Didn't mean any offence - just playing along with the unusual name there.

I'd be chuffed if that were my grandad.

No worries mate and thanks for apology anyway!

ha ha yep i've had nicknames for my surname!
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:25 - Feb 22 with 829 viewsRegencyBlue

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:18 - Feb 22 by Westover

Basil Acres, he played right back but last game of the season Tom Garneys was injured so they put him up front at Southampton, Town had to win to get promoted they did, Basil scored the second goal and we went upon goal difference, I had a newspaper photo of him scoring but unfortunately lost it many years ago.

After he finished playing didn't he open a shop along Norwich Road?

I want to say a pet shop but I'm not 100% on that, it was a long time ago!
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:25 - Feb 22 with 823 viewsWestcountryblue

Not a player, but my grandfather was the club doctor for Ipswich Town from the 60's all the way to the early 90's, so worked during Ramsey's and Robson's reign. Had many great stories to tell about the club, including giving Ray Crawford a purple heart before a game because he was feeling low on confidence. Ray preceded to score an absolute blinding hattrick having obviously taken a substance that would seem him banned from the game in the modern era. Got a lifelong season ticket to the directors box for his service.
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:26 - Feb 22 with 817 viewsIP4_Blue

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:33 - Feb 22 by PJH

I looked through some ITFC handbooks from 1950's and cannot find any reserve appearances, certainly no first team ones.

Not suggesting he was pulling your leg but certainly no first team appearances under that name.

ok fair enough i'll be having words with my dad!!
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:26 - Feb 22 with 816 viewsChurchman

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:26 - Feb 22 by Sarge

My cousin is Brian Talbot. I think.

Some permutation of cousin anyway. But he’s 40 years older than me and I’ve never met him!

My mum knew Brian Talbot’s mum. That’s about it. My mother always said she was related to the cricketer John Edrich, but having looked into it I think that’s a load of rubbish.

In conclusion I am a nobody, related to a load of nobodies. 👍🏻
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:27 - Feb 22 with 814 viewsdickie

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:42 - Feb 22 by Illinoisblue

Haha true, I didn't say I agreed with it. In fact that was the era I got into football and Slater was one of my favourite players until Steve Sedgley arrived. I just enjoy winding my mate Harry up!
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:27 - Feb 22 with 813 viewsIP4_Blue

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:41 - Feb 22 by hype313

No, but my cousin is lee Bradbury who played for Pompey and City amongst others.

Yes I remember him, I might be wrong wasn't he in the army before?
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:30 - Feb 22 with 806 viewshype313

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:27 - Feb 22 by IP4_Blue

Yes I remember him, I might be wrong wasn't he in the army before?

Yep

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? (n/t) on 14:31 - Feb 22 with 802 viewsWestover

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:25 - Feb 22 by Westcountryblue

Not a player, but my grandfather was the club doctor for Ipswich Town from the 60's all the way to the early 90's, so worked during Ramsey's and Robson's reign. Had many great stories to tell about the club, including giving Ray Crawford a purple heart before a game because he was feeling low on confidence. Ray preceded to score an absolute blinding hattrick having obviously taken a substance that would seem him banned from the game in the modern era. Got a lifelong season ticket to the directors box for his service.

[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 14:33]
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:33 - Feb 22 with 789 viewsIP4_Blue

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:02 - Feb 22 by mo_itfc

Fulham at the time.

Mark Blake
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:36 - Feb 22 with 782 viewsWestover

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:25 - Feb 22 by RegencyBlue

After he finished playing didn't he open a shop along Norwich Road?

I want to say a pet shop but I'm not 100% on that, it was a long time ago!

Yes spot on 👍 I think he did very well with the shop also worked for Town for many years and when he left he was given a new car.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024