Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? 12:17 - Feb 22 with 5855 viewsIP4_Blue

My grandad played for Town in the 50's I still got his players pass before he passed away in 2003, remember my dad getting a card signed by Sheepshanks he was so taken back from it
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:48 - Feb 22 with 981 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:19 - Feb 22 by Steve_M

Who was your grandad?

IP2_Blue - def info!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:49 - Feb 22 with 979 viewsSwansea_Blue

No, but I know Steve Palmer's cousin well

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:50 - Feb 22 with 978 viewsBiGDonnie

My ex's uncle had a trial for Town under Sir Bobby.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:57 - Feb 22 with 958 viewshatch

Again not answering the question but my old man used to go to matches with Paul Robson, Sir Bobby's son. Think they went to the FA Cup final together in 78 too.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 15:10]
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:59 - Feb 22 with 947 viewsTrumptonBlue

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:59 - Feb 22 by davblue

I do, had a subs appearance under Joe Royle and is still playing in the football league.

Sounds like Matt Bloomfield?
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 15:22 - Feb 22 with 904 viewsPJH

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:18 - Feb 22 by Westover

Basil Acres, he played right back but last game of the season Tom Garneys was injured so they put him up front at Southampton, Town had to win to get promoted they did, Basil scored the second goal and we went upon goal difference, I had a newspaper photo of him scoring but unfortunately lost it many years ago.

Oh right, he would have been another guess but although he may have occasionally captained the team I do not think that he was ever the regular captain.

I would have seen him play and I also remember him from him working in the development office along with Tommy Parker.

edit-sorry, just saw Joe's post, he was captain for one season.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 15:36]
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 15:27 - Feb 22 with 895 viewsMullet

Only played against the reserves I think. Certainly, was here in his capacity as Oxford's matchday face. Snr's cousin is Peter Rhoades-Brown who played for Chelsea and then Oxford. Scored a famous goal against Liverpool apparently.

Snr's a little older but reckons when they did play as kids you could just tell he was going to be a pro.

I've taught a few lads who ended up lower/non-league having been at City, United, Rochdale etc. but none to have made it.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 15:30 - Feb 22 with 882 viewstractordownsouth

Not a relative but my godmother is Brian Talbot's cousin.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 15:32 - Feb 22 with 868 viewsPJH

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:14 - Feb 22 by MedwayTractor

I always thought the captaincy in the 50's went from Tommy Parker, then Reg Pickett, to Andy Nelson. Just had a butchers (pun intended) at Wikipedia, confirms this.

Yes, I knew Reg Pickett was the captain prior to Andy Nelson which is why he was my first thought as being Westover's uncle but the dates mentioned ruled out it being him.
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 15:34 - Feb 22 with 859 viewsPJH

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 15:30 - Feb 22 by tractordownsouth

Not a relative but my godmother is Brian Talbot's cousin.

Which could mean, looking back on this thread, that 'Sarge' is your godmother!
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 15:39 - Feb 22 with 844 viewsPJH

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:26 - Feb 22 by IP4_Blue

ok fair enough i'll be having words with my dad!!

I am not saying he did not play for the reserves, just that I cannot find a mention of him in old handbooks but I do not have them for throughout the 1950's.

Did not play a competitive game for the first team though.
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 15:52 - Feb 22 with 827 viewsTrumptonBlue

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 15:22 - Feb 22 by PJH

Oh right, he would have been another guess but although he may have occasionally captained the team I do not think that he was ever the regular captain.

I would have seen him play and I also remember him from him working in the development office along with Tommy Parker.

edit-sorry, just saw Joe's post, he was captain for one season.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 15:36]

Basil Acres was the regular captain for the first half of the 1956/57 season, after Tommy Parker picked up the injury that ended his career. But Acres lost his place halfway through the season to Larry Carberry, and Doug Rees took over the captaincy.
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 16:19 - Feb 22 with 791 viewsCoastalblue

No but close. I have two cousins who played top flight football and one came close to coming on loan here when he was younger. Both are on the coaching staff of London Prem clubs now. I occasionally hear that we're looking at taking somebody or other on loan from their club and I know one of ours was being watched quite closely last season, but think that's passed now.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 18:16 - Feb 22 with 746 viewsgainsboroughblue

My great uncle opened the batting for Essex before and after WW2.

That's all.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 18:37 - Feb 22 with 727 viewsRegencyBlue

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:36 - Feb 22 by Westover

Yes spot on 👍 I think he did very well with the shop also worked for Town for many years and when he left he was given a new car.

Its coming back to me now, opposite Coe’s I think? My grandparents used to live in Orford Street which is just up the road from the shop.

I remember going in there as a very young kid and there were loads of sacks of animal feed all over the place with the different smells all mixing together. My grandad used to talk football with someone in the shop, whether it was your uncle or not I don’t know but seems likely.

God knows what either of them would make of today’s shambles!
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 19:22 - Feb 22 with 701 viewsWestover

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 18:37 - Feb 22 by RegencyBlue

Its coming back to me now, opposite Coe’s I think? My grandparents used to live in Orford Street which is just up the road from the shop.

I remember going in there as a very young kid and there were loads of sacks of animal feed all over the place with the different smells all mixing together. My grandad used to talk football with someone in the shop, whether it was your uncle or not I don’t know but seems likely.

God knows what either of them would make of today’s shambles!

Your probably right I can remember it was on the left and he bought I believe the shop next door and made into one shop, I lived in Brentwood which in those days was a long way away so didn't get to Ipswich very often.

As you say what would they think of Town today 😥
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 19:24 - Feb 22 with 696 viewsRadlett_blue

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 14:18 - Feb 22 by Westover

Basil Acres, he played right back but last game of the season Tom Garneys was injured so they put him up front at Southampton, Town had to win to get promoted they did, Basil scored the second goal and we went upon goal difference, I had a newspaper photo of him scoring but unfortunately lost it many years ago.

Yes, we pipped Torquay on goal average in 1956-57 & while we won at Southampton, they only drew at Crystal Palace on the last day. There were also allegations that Southampton, who finished 4th played a weakened team that day. Palace finished 20th but according to Torquay fans, they played as if their lives depended on the result. Apparently 4,000 Torquay fans turned up for their reserves' home game on that afternoon.
Colchester also finished only a point behind Town.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 20:40 - Feb 22 with 655 viewsLiquidPaz

Richard Wright is my cousin and one of my cousins married Tony Vaughan.
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? (n/t) on 21:25 - Feb 22 with 626 viewsWestcountryblue

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:19 - Feb 22 by Steve_M

Who was your grandad?

[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 21:27]
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 22:29 - Feb 22 with 582 viewsSonOfSpock

Yes,my old man. His cousin also played for Carlisle and Darlington.
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 22:47 - Feb 22 with 572 viewsITFCLuke

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 22:29 - Feb 22 by SonOfSpock

Mick Lambert is my Nan's Cousin.. They Had season tickets on and off since the 70's and passed onto me
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 23:59 - Feb 22 with 526 views66notout

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 22:29 - Feb 22 by SonOfSpock

You are the son of Spock? How is John doing?
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 00:26 - Feb 23 with 519 viewsThe_Last_Baron

I had a lecturer at University who said he had played for Town reserves in the early 60s. He didn't know I was an Ipswich fan and I didn't tell him I was so there was no reason for him to make it up.

He seemed very proud of this. I cannot remember his name but if I saw it I would remember.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 07:11 - Feb 23 with 471 viewsGerkensBeard

My wife’s grandad John Smith was signed by sir Alf in the early 60’s. He was only 16 at the time but he is in the team photo of the title winning team of 1961/1962. He’s gutted to of never played a first team game as he was earmarked for his debut however Alf went off to England and Milburn came in. John was the only youngster whose contract was expiring and was let go without Milburn even seeing him play.
He was offered terms at another professional club however by this time he started a family young and played locally for Lowestoft Town. He’s a wonderful man who has introduced to me to ipswich town greats before games as he sits with the ex players in the Sir Alf upper.
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 07:32 - Feb 23 with 458 viewsWarkystache

I contain a bit of Alan Lee's DNA - once accidentally drank from his half-finished glass of wine in a pub in Dedham. He was alright about it, but I did notice he surreptitiously asked the bar staff for a new glass, so he obviously thought I had Cooties or whatever the Yanks call it.

One of my friend's ex-girlfriends had an ongoing affair with a Town regular in the mid 1990's. His wife found out though.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024