Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chambo Stat 23:01 - Mar 2 with 4320 viewsPhilTWTD

Occurred to me earlier that on Saturday Chambo will have played for more Town managers than anyone else: Jewell, McCarthy, Hurst, Lambert and Cook.

[Edit]Along with John Wark[/Edit]

This post has been edited by an administrator
Chambo Stat on 08:49 - Mar 3 with 776 viewsChateauWines

If selected

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Chambo Stat on 08:55 - Mar 3 with 757 viewsitfcjoe

With how prevalent coverage of football is, there probably isn't a player 90% of living ITFC fans have seen more of in an Ipswich shirt

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Chambo Stat on 08:55 - Mar 3 with 756 viewsPJH

Chambo Stat on 03:02 - Mar 3 by Bluearmy71

I'm pretty sure he was our official manager, seem to remember we got relegated under his guidance!

McGiven was first team manager but never club manager because John Lyall still held that title.
We were actually well on the way to relegation under his guidance but GB was manager when we actually went down but at no point did Mick McGiven have ITFC Manager as his job title.
Chambo Stat on 09:10 - Mar 3 with 725 viewsTieDyedIn95

Chambo Stat on 07:11 - Mar 3 by GeoffSentence

Tommy Miller must get an honourable mention

Burley (Mowbray) Royle and Magilton

He also played for Keane and McCarthy but when they were at sunderland not here, though he was on the subs bench for Keane's first game in charge of ITFC.

Apparently he's caretake manager at Swindon at the momen.

and Keane at Ipswich. Keane released him!

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Chambo Stat on 09:13 - Mar 3 with 724 viewsTrequartista

Chambo Stat on 23:18 - Mar 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

McGiven was never officially manager was he? But that still makes 5 the same as Phil has for Chambers. Of course, it is over 3 separate spells unlike Chambers. Interestingly they were still consecutive managers for Warky.

There are players at some clubs who have only spent a couple of seasons there and played under nearly as many managers!

McGiven picked the team and chose the (extremely defensive) tactics. I would say he was the manager. You are correct though, the history books disagree.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Chambo Stat on 09:21 - Mar 3 with 703 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Billy Baxter played under Ramsey, Milburn, McGarry, Lea and Robson.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Chambo Stat on 09:36 - Mar 3 with 674 viewsArnieM

Yes indeed. A remarkable state re Chambo, Phil, considering he’s regarded as a complete pony by so many on here. He must be doing something right then 👍

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Chambo Stat on 09:41 - Mar 3 with 666 viewsPJH

Chambo Stat on 09:21 - Mar 3 by Tangledupin_Blue

Billy Baxter played under Ramsey, Milburn, McGarry, Lea and Robson.

and Jimmy Forsyth who was caretaker between Milburn and McGarry although neither he nor Cyril Lea were actually manager.

He only played one game under Forsyth because he got injured at Carrot Rud in what was Milburn's last game and only came back in for the win against Newcastle which was two days before McGarry arrived.
Login to get fewer ads

Chambo Stat on 09:59 - Mar 3 with 639 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Chambo Stat on 09:41 - Mar 3 by PJH

and Jimmy Forsyth who was caretaker between Milburn and McGarry although neither he nor Cyril Lea were actually manager.

He only played one game under Forsyth because he got injured at Carrot Rud in what was Milburn's last game and only came back in for the win against Newcastle which was two days before McGarry arrived.

My memory may be playing tricks but wasn't Lea in charge for several games over a few weeks as caretaker?

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Chambo Stat on 12:17 - Mar 3 with 594 viewsPJH

Chambo Stat on 09:59 - Mar 3 by Tangledupin_Blue

My memory may be playing tricks but wasn't Lea in charge for several games over a few weeks as caretaker?

Yes he was caretaker in between McGarry and Robson but I was just saying that neither he nor Jimmy Forsyth were actually manager.

Billy Baxter did play under both of them in their temporary positions.
Chambo Stat on 13:38 - Mar 3 with 535 viewsreusersfreekicks

Chambo Stat on 08:55 - Mar 3 by PJH

McGiven was first team manager but never club manager because John Lyall still held that title.
We were actually well on the way to relegation under his guidance but GB was manager when we actually went down but at no point did Mick McGiven have ITFC Manager as his job title.

Think Goddard and Wark were in charge that final season before Burley took over, supervised by Lyall
Chambo Stat on 14:06 - Mar 3 with 512 viewsBluearmy71

Chambo Stat on 08:55 - Mar 3 by PJH

Your memory is better than mine PJH, I'm never too proud to admit I'm wrong, he indeed was never our official manager!!
Chambo Stat on 14:08 - Mar 3 with 510 viewsPJH

Chambo Stat on 13:38 - Mar 3 by reusersfreekicks

Think Goddard and Wark were in charge that final season before Burley took over, supervised by Lyall

According to Ipswich Town-The Modern Era John Lyall resigned after we lost at home to Man C on 3rd December and Paul Goddard (with Warky) became caretaker manager so seemingly John Lyall no longer had any involvement.

The same book also says that Mick Mills was the initial favourite for the job before GB got it.
I believe that we tried to get Mick in the 1980's but Stoke would not let us talk to him-that must have been when Bobby Ferguson went and before we got John Duncan.
Chambo Stat on 14:32 - Mar 3 with 475 viewsCrawfordsboot

Chambo Stat on 08:45 - Mar 3 by BlueySwede

Chambo has so often been criticized, yet he has been first on the team sheet for several managers.
Yes, you could argue that we have been bad and declining during this time, but in my opinion very little of that has been down to Chambers who have been an excellent servant for the club.
Is his playing days for Ipswich nearing an end? Absolutely. But I would love it if he could finish his time with us with promotion.

Couldn’t agree more. He gets shed loads of unwarranted flack from certain quarters on here. They all seem to think they are better judges of a player than a succession of professional managers, who were all happy to have him in their teams.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024