Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Evans 18:37 - Mar 15 with 3099 viewstractorlad01

Could Paul Cook be the manager he finally gets behind and backs financially?

Cooks probably the best manager we’ve had in a long time. He could probably get us to the Prem, given the right funds.
Evans on 18:40 - Mar 15 with 2783 viewschrismakin

I do love this 'fact' that Evan's doesnt support his managers

He always has done. Could be transfers. Freebie wages ir loans. Hes provided ample funding.

The managers however didnt use it wisely.

Mick was the closest.

Even this January Lambert was given help. Norwood etc were offered contracts at other clubs.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Evans on 18:57 - Mar 15 with 2721 viewsNthQldITFC

I would argue that it's the infrastructure (CEO, medical, sports science) that needs the backing, rather than the manager, at least in the traditional sense of transfer fees.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Evans on 19:01 - Mar 15 with 2698 viewsghostofescobar

Evans on 18:40 - Mar 15 by chrismakin

I do love this 'fact' that Evan's doesnt support his managers

He always has done. Could be transfers. Freebie wages ir loans. Hes provided ample funding.

The managers however didnt use it wisely.

Mick was the closest.

Even this January Lambert was given help. Norwood etc were offered contracts at other clubs.

Ample funding? Guess it depends on what your definition of “ample” is. And it was Evans who appointed those managers that didn’t use it wisely, no one else. Buck stops with him, whichever way you look at it.

GhostOfEscobar

Evans on 19:02 - Mar 15 with 2683 viewsjeera

He threw a lot of money at the first 3.

And beyond that to be fair, none of the managers have come out since and said they were underfunded.

Each has been given surely a competitive amount relative to the level we've been playing at.

Other clubs have suffered too, not just Town.

Yes, if he insists on not selling then he needs to do an awful lot more though.

Maybe it's possible he doesn't feel this lot are what's best for Town. It is hard to say for sure when he speaks so little and when he does it's often in riddles.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Evans on 19:05 - Mar 15 with 2670 viewsblueprint

Evans on 18:57 - Mar 15 by NthQldITFC

I would argue that it's the infrastructure (CEO, medical, sports science) that needs the backing, rather than the manager, at least in the traditional sense of transfer fees.

I Agree. We are so far behind the times in regards of how a modern forward thinking club is run.
No CEO , no real structure to the club. We have a poor playing surface whereas most clubs now have a hybrid pitch that is much more resilient. Even little things like the fact that we are one of the few clubs that haven’t invested in Electronic advertising boards that enable much more flexibility when it comes to offering exposure to more companies and brands that then generates more income for the club.
Evans on 19:09 - Mar 15 with 2646 viewsGeomorph

Evans on 19:05 - Mar 15 by blueprint

I Agree. We are so far behind the times in regards of how a modern forward thinking club is run.
No CEO , no real structure to the club. We have a poor playing surface whereas most clubs now have a hybrid pitch that is much more resilient. Even little things like the fact that we are one of the few clubs that haven’t invested in Electronic advertising boards that enable much more flexibility when it comes to offering exposure to more companies and brands that then generates more income for the club.

yep...tinpot outfit nowadays... sad
Evans on 19:10 - Mar 15 with 2641 viewsChrisd

Evans on 19:05 - Mar 15 by blueprint

And while he remains the further we get left behind. We really are looking the poor relations, the whole club looks tired due to the cost cutting approach ME deploys. No infrastructure , no plan and no clue which is reflected over the last 14 years of underachievement. Let’s be honest, during that whole time the good decisions ME has made you can count on 1 hand. Woeful really and it’s looks like we’re going to have him for even longer, what a joy!
[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 19:13]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Evans on 19:14 - Mar 15 with 2618 viewsblueprint

Evans on 19:09 - Mar 15 by Geomorph

yep...tinpot outfit nowadays... sad

We really are aren’t we? For all p!ss taking of them lot up the road they are streets ahead of us in every department (except trophies and history)
[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 19:20]
Login to get fewer ads

Evans on 19:21 - Mar 15 with 2587 viewschrismakin

Evans on 19:14 - Mar 15 by blueprint

We really are aren’t we? For all p!ss taking of them lot up the road they are streets ahead of us in every department (except trophies and history)
[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 19:20]

Also helps for those up the road. They maintained high attendances and support when times went downwards

With our fanbase it doesnt take long before we seem to run for the hills. Boycott club spending etc. Then moan about lack of investment etc after.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Evans on 19:30 - Mar 15 with 2537 viewsBelsteadCav

I really do hope so, Cook seems to be the real deal. It’s taken Evans long enough to find him

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

Evans on 19:33 - Mar 15 with 2516 viewsDarth_Koont

Evans on 19:02 - Mar 15 by jeera

He threw a lot of money at the first 3.

And beyond that to be fair, none of the managers have come out since and said they were underfunded.

Each has been given surely a competitive amount relative to the level we've been playing at.

Other clubs have suffered too, not just Town.

Yes, if he insists on not selling then he needs to do an awful lot more though.

Maybe it's possible he doesn't feel this lot are what's best for Town. It is hard to say for sure when he speaks so little and when he does it's often in riddles.

Exactly.

Jim (who did worse with money), Keane and Jewell took us backwards with funding. As did Hurst when he was allowed to spend and, relative to League One at least, Lambert did FA while accumulating a massive squad.

Mick’s the exception and he did it without money. Arguably that went the wrong way after 2014/15 when the purse strings were tightened further. But even that period saw us increase the value of the squad rather than p!ss millions away.

There is however a possibility that the right manager in Cook (hopefully) will develop a real momentum that Evans can invest in. But I take the point from elsewhere that maybe most of this points at investment in the right areas off the field and getting the right structures in place first.

Pronouns: He/Him

Evans on 19:41 - Mar 15 with 2493 viewsHighgateBlue

Evans on 19:01 - Mar 15 by ghostofescobar

Ample funding? Guess it depends on what your definition of “ample” is. And it was Evans who appointed those managers that didn’t use it wisely, no one else. Buck stops with him, whichever way you look at it.

There is scope for legitimate disagreement on this point, at least, if you are happy to advocate breaking the FFP rules. If you recognise that this isn't some computer game, it's real life, and one has to work within real life rules, then his funding has been pretty much as great as it could possibly be. I guess there will always be some who are going to throw a tantrum and not watch their club because they think our multi million pound benefactor is evil.
Evans on 19:42 - Mar 15 with 2487 viewshaynes_toe1

Mccarthy is a better manager than Cook and didn't get significant funding.

Evans is probably as poor as he's ever been and our club is in the worst financial position its been in for some time.

So no, I wouldn't see now as suddenly being a time where he splashes the cash.
Evans on 19:44 - Mar 15 with 2482 viewslazyblue

He supported PL in last January with loans.
Evans on 19:58 - Mar 15 with 2460 viewstractorboy7777

Evans on 18:57 - Mar 15 by NthQldITFC

I agree, I think Evans has neglected the infrastructure equally as much.

Around the time Evans took over and shortly after he took over, the club were spending around £3.5m on general overhead costs. McCarthys last season the general overhead costs were £1.6m (the two prior were around £2.3m).

Yes, cost savings is good but no company in any industry would be able to sustain as good an infrastructure as we had by cutting the costs by that much, particularly when you take into account £3.5m back then isn’t worth £3.5m in today’s money with inflation!

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

Evans on 20:07 - Mar 15 with 2432 viewstractorlad01

Evans on 19:42 - Mar 15 by haynes_toe1

Mccarthy is a better manager than Cook and didn't get significant funding.

Evans is probably as poor as he's ever been and our club is in the worst financial position its been in for some time.

So no, I wouldn't see now as suddenly being a time where he splashes the cash.

I believe Evans is actually richer than he’s ever been, around £800 million I think.

Considering the Norwich owners aren’t even worth £100m, that’s more than enough. Evans has no excuses.
Evans on 20:14 - Mar 15 with 2412 viewshaynes_toe1

Evans on 20:07 - Mar 15 by tractorlad01

I believe Evans is actually richer than he’s ever been, around £800 million I think.

Considering the Norwich owners aren’t even worth £100m, that’s more than enough. Evans has no excuses.

Hes got more excuses than ever before and he's not felt the need to change things. Under FFP there's little he can do anyway.

He will not be spending big money.
Evans on 20:15 - Mar 15 with 2408 viewschrismakin

Evans on 19:44 - Mar 15 by lazyblue

He supported PL in last January with loans.

Considering the volume of players tha have been in and out of the club via various managers it's safe to say they've had funds available.

You've got wages. Signing on fees. Agency fees etc. And because we have had a lot of players come into this club its safe to say Evans certainly provided financial support.

Evans on 20:18 - Mar 15 with 2394 viewsjeera

Evans on 20:07 - Mar 15 by tractorlad01

Once again it needs to be pointed out that Evans' worth isn't fluid.

Norwich (*spits*) have had money coming in in real terms for a number of years and their existence hasn't relied solely on an owner to keep them afloat.

You can blame poor management from the top [Evans] versus their efficiency in running their club, sure.

With a bit of luck regarding timing too.

Parachute payments became crazy money which funded their recovery; a safety net Town and many other clubs have not enjoyed.

The 2 clubs aren't comparable atm unfortunately.

Evans on 20:20 - Mar 15 with 2385 viewsblueprint

Evans on 19:21 - Mar 15 by chrismakin

Also helps for those up the road. They maintained high attendances and support when times went downwards

With our fanbase it doesnt take long before we seem to run for the hills. Boycott club spending etc. Then moan about lack of investment etc after.

The reason they kept their high attendances is due mainly to them turning things around fairly quickly. They tend to get relegated then follow it up with a promotion campaign. I have no doubts that if we had the same kind of short term ups and downs that they have then we to would experience high crowds year in year out.

We have suffered years of decline and to be honest have done well to still have fairly decent attendances.
Evans on 20:21 - Mar 15 with 2384 viewsZXBlue

Evans on 19:01 - Mar 15 by ghostofescobar

he has made it clear that this year, he would have been stuffed under FFP if he spent anything more. For instance.
Evans on 22:12 - Mar 15 with 2266 viewsghostofescobar

Evans on 20:21 - Mar 15 by ZXBlue

he has made it clear that this year, he would have been stuffed under FFP if he spent anything more. For instance.

Don’t quite get your point. He couldn’t spend anymore because he got us relegated from the Championship and there came down with a wage bill bigger than most in the third division. Or am I missing something?

GhostOfEscobar

Evans on 22:21 - Mar 15 with 2238 viewsghostofescobar

Evans on 19:41 - Mar 15 by HighgateBlue

There is scope for legitimate disagreement on this point, at least, if you are happy to advocate breaking the FFP rules. If you recognise that this isn't some computer game, it's real life, and one has to work within real life rules, then his funding has been pretty much as great as it could possibly be. I guess there will always be some who are going to throw a tantrum and not watch their club because they think our multi million pound benefactor is evil.

Semantics, maybe, but I feel he has put the bare minimum in, not ample in. And that’s his prerogative. I get that. But the point is, money or no money, his decisions across this club over the past dozen years has broken us. Cr@p analogy, but just because you donate “ample” money to the RSPCA, it doesn’t allow you to get away with kicking the sh1t out of your dog every night.

GhostOfEscobar

Evans on 22:27 - Mar 15 with 2226 viewstractordownsouth

McCarthy wasn't given anything in the Summer of 2015 when we were only a couple of players from promotion to the Prem, so if that wasn't enough to persuade him to spend then nothing will be.

However, Cook doesn't need extra funding. Evans' financing was an excuse for not being top 6 in the Championship but not down in League 1. We have a play-off budget in this league, if not an automatic promotion budget.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Evans on 22:30 - Mar 15 with 2220 viewsjeera

Evans on 22:27 - Mar 15 by tractordownsouth

McCarthy wasn't given anything in the Summer of 2015 when we were only a couple of players from promotion to the Prem, so if that wasn't enough to persuade him to spend then nothing will be.

However, Cook doesn't need extra funding. Evans' financing was an excuse for not being top 6 in the Championship but not down in League 1. We have a play-off budget in this league, if not an automatic promotion budget.

I have no idea if the much banded in the region of 50 squad players is correct?

But if it's anywhere near to that, then that doesn't say 'underfunding'.

It does say poor management from all quarters, but not underfunding.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024