Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cook must play the hand he has been dealt 18:56 - Mar 17 with 3518 viewscbower

Until the summer when he must get the recruitment right. At the club right now we don't have the strikers to play his preferred system. Norwood is our best bet but even he is significantly better with a partner. Those talking about Oli Hawkins as the lone striker - I can see why and perhaps in the short term he could help bring the three behind him into the game? He is not, however, anywhere near mobile enough for me. The supply line to our attacking players through midfield is rubbish. I just wish we had a few players who will shoot from 20+ yards too. Bobbly pitches and L1 keepers would give us some excitement.

bluescouser

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 19:19 - Mar 17 with 2951 viewsDubtractor

As well as the lack of a striker able to play the lone role effectively, we seem to have a lack of effective wide players and AM, despite seemingly having bloody loads of them - obviously compounded by our appalling loan business this season.

Its a point made again and again, but our recruitment has been dreadful for a few years, seemingly no real analytical work on the players we sign, who time and again prove unable to do the roles we recruit them for.

Even someone like Kyle Vassell for Fleetwood would dramatically improve our attacking play, vaguely mobile, holds the ball up, brings supporting players in. Rather than our clowns with the first touch of a trampoline and zero bravery with the ball.

Bloody hell it is depressing.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 19:26 - Mar 17 with 2929 viewsjayessess

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 19:19 - Mar 17 by Dubtractor

As well as the lack of a striker able to play the lone role effectively, we seem to have a lack of effective wide players and AM, despite seemingly having bloody loads of them - obviously compounded by our appalling loan business this season.

Its a point made again and again, but our recruitment has been dreadful for a few years, seemingly no real analytical work on the players we sign, who time and again prove unable to do the roles we recruit them for.

Even someone like Kyle Vassell for Fleetwood would dramatically improve our attacking play, vaguely mobile, holds the ball up, brings supporting players in. Rather than our clowns with the first touch of a trampoline and zero bravery with the ball.

Bloody hell it is depressing.

Let's hope Cook's the ruthless type. 8 players in last night's lineup that Hurst could've put out and exactly the kind of performance we've come to expect from them. If we're still watching most of them in August this club is going nowhere.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 19:28 - Mar 17 with 2924 viewsjas0999

You can only get the recruitment right if the owner invests in the playing squad. In that lies the problem.
Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 19:29 - Mar 17 with 2917 viewsjayessess

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 19:28 - Mar 17 by jas0999

You can only get the recruitment right if the owner invests in the playing squad. In that lies the problem.

In the Championship, sure. Our wage bill will be bigger than most of the teams above us in the league.

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 19:34 - Mar 17 with 2903 viewsTractorCam

Hawkins is also injured, christ I totally forgot he existed. Crazy how many players we've used this season.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 19:50 - Mar 17 with 2866 viewscbower

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 19:28 - Mar 17 by jas0999

You are not seriously telling me that Fleetwood, Lincoln, Gillingham, Wycombe, Accrington, Coventry, Rotherham etc have invested more money in their playing squads than Town have? They all look so much more cohesive than we do. Wages are part of an investment too and I am sure we pay well in terms of L1. Proper, planned recruitment of the right types for the system Cook is looking for will stand far more chance than the scatter gun approach of both Hurst and then even more so Lambert

bluescouser

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 20:00 - Mar 17 with 2837 viewsSwansea_Blue

Given you an uppie for that to counter the odd downvote. I don't see anything wrong with what you're saying. It's a bit obvious as he can't change personnel, so yeah of course he has to work with what he's got. Oli's ok. Gives us another target man dimension the others don't. That about all I can find that's positive though.

Cook has got a bit of a sh*t hand. His strength is a technical but lightweight midfield in a team of otherwise hoofers, a streetwise CF in Norwood who needs several sighters each game and a couple of old fashioned centre halves who don't complement the strengths of the midfield.

I'm glad he has to sort us out and not me!
[Post edited 17 Mar 2021 20:43]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 20:33 - Mar 17 with 2781 viewsbritbiker

It may help if we didn't keep flooding the squad with loads of below average loans and signings and maybe used the money instead on one or two above average players.
How many players in the past five years or so have we paid out fees and wages for who simply pad out the already inflated squad whilst barely making any noticable contribution.
Its almost like we throw in ten additional signings each year just hoping one might make the grade.
Got a feeling every one of this years crop will be gone before we even see them play a match live.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 0:16]
Login to get fewer ads

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 20:44 - Mar 17 with 2758 viewsSwansea_Blue

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 20:33 - Mar 17 by britbiker

It may help if we didn't keep flooding the squad with loads of below average loans and signings and maybe used the money instead on one or two above average players.
How many players in the past five years or so have we paid out fees and wages for who simply pad out the already inflated squad whilst barely making any noticable contribution.
Its almost like we throw in ten additional signings each year just hoping one might make the grade.
Got a feeling every one of this years crop will be gone before we even see them play a match live.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 0:16]

Lambert loved collecting players. He seemed to think that was a better idea than developing what we had and getting them working as a unit, for some reason.

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 21:12 - Mar 17 with 2701 viewschrismakin

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 20:44 - Mar 17 by Swansea_Blue

Lambert loved collecting players. He seemed to think that was a better idea than developing what we had and getting them working as a unit, for some reason.

I'd love to know what homework was done on the loanees we got in january

None of them seemed to have any positive effect on the side and continue not to do so.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 21:24 - Mar 17 with 2677 viewsStNeotsBlue

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 21:12 - Mar 17 by chrismakin

None of them seemed to have any positive effect on the side and continue not to do so.

The only one who can consider themselves a bit unfortunate is Matheson, had a decent debut and has proved himself at this level then never seen again. Thomas and Harrop have been utterly pointless loans, Parrott has been hit and miss if you're being generous.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2021 21:32]
Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 21:29 - Mar 17 with 2659 viewschrismakin

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 21:24 - Mar 17 by StNeotsBlue

The only one who can consider themselves a bit unfortunate is Matheson, had a decent debut and has proved himself at this level then never seen again. Thomas and Harrop have been utterly pointless loans, Parrott has been hit and miss if you're being generous.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2021 21:32]

There must be something with Matheson behind the scenes. It's quite random as he flourished on loan at rotherham and had a solid debut for us.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 21:52 - Mar 17 with 2627 viewsjayessess

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 21:29 - Mar 17 by chrismakin

There must be something with Matheson behind the scenes. It's quite random as he flourished on loan at rotherham and had a solid debut for us.

I don't think it's that deep. Cook clearly wanted to keep the show on the road when he came in and the defence was working alright as a unit. He probably also didn't want his first act as manager to be dropping the very popular club captain.

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 21:56 - Mar 17 with 2617 viewschrismakin

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 21:52 - Mar 17 by jayessess

I don't think it's that deep. Cook clearly wanted to keep the show on the road when he came in and the defence was working alright as a unit. He probably also didn't want his first act as manager to be dropping the very popular club captain.

I dont think so. He could easily play chambers at CB if he wanted to keep him in

Matheson is also his favourite type of fullback so its definitely strange. Someone was saying the other day that he was 'way behind' in training. Not sure if that's fitness. Injury or something else.

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 22:01 - Mar 17 with 2603 viewsjayessess

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 21:56 - Mar 17 by chrismakin

I dont think so. He could easily play chambers at CB if he wanted to keep him in

Matheson is also his favourite type of fullback so its definitely strange. Someone was saying the other day that he was 'way behind' in training. Not sure if that's fitness. Injury or something else.

But I don't think he wanted to break up Nsiala and Wilson either.
Plus, he clearly has a preference for experience. Last night was pretty much the oldest possible lineup we could've named.

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 22:18 - Mar 17 with 2548 viewsSwansea_Blue

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 21:12 - Mar 17 by chrismakin

Yeah, strange one. A loan should be used to strengthen the squad, otherwise what's the point. Lambert did like just getting bodies in irrespective of quality though (Anthony Georgiou and Josh Earl anyone?).

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 23:05 - Mar 17 with 2515 viewsHARRY10

the hand Cook has been dealt would shame Abu Hamza
Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 08:17 - Mar 18 with 2364 viewsGuthrum

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 19:50 - Mar 17 by cbower

You are not seriously telling me that Fleetwood, Lincoln, Gillingham, Wycombe, Accrington, Coventry, Rotherham etc have invested more money in their playing squads than Town have? They all look so much more cohesive than we do. Wages are part of an investment too and I am sure we pay well in terms of L1. Proper, planned recruitment of the right types for the system Cook is looking for will stand far more chance than the scatter gun approach of both Hurst and then even more so Lambert

Often happens. The manager will start out with a plan, then if things go awry (including not getting the men he wants in his first window), he begins scrabbling around for solutions. Which may well involve throwing whatever players he can lay hands on into the squad, in the hope that one of them will magically be brilliant and make things work.

At Town, they get a bit more time than some other places, meaning they don't really need to do that so much, but it is a deeply ingrained instinct, hard to resist.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 10:14 - Mar 18 with 2264 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 21:29 - Mar 17 by chrismakin

Matheson has never been on loan at Rotherham.
Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 10:17 - Mar 18 with 2248 viewsBlueWorldOrder

Excuses already coming in. He should have until this time next season, if we do not look like going up he must go. No more being an easy ride at Ipswich. We are the biggest club he's managed and he cannot even motivate what we're told is the best team in the league to be able to fight for a game let alone win. It looks like they are paying lip service to him knowing hes just another manager appointed by an owner more than happy with how things are.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 10:19 - Mar 18 with 2238 viewsSamWhiteUK

Dozzell shot from 20, 25 yards on Tuesday and came close, in about the 94th minute. Ridiculous that we don't do it more often.
Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 10:21 - Mar 18 with 2226 viewsMrTown

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 10:17 - Mar 18 by BlueWorldOrder

Excuses already coming in. He should have until this time next season, if we do not look like going up he must go. No more being an easy ride at Ipswich. We are the biggest club he's managed and he cannot even motivate what we're told is the best team in the league to be able to fight for a game let alone win. It looks like they are paying lip service to him knowing hes just another manager appointed by an owner more than happy with how things are.

What is this garbage.

Give the man time, can't believe there a few toys been thrown already.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 10:28 - Mar 18 with 2209 viewsBlueWorldOrder

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 10:21 - Mar 18 by MrTown

What is this garbage.

Give the man time, can't believe there a few toys been thrown already.

Just because you are happy to accept failure I am not. How long should he get then? According to you any manager worth his salt should walk the league with our team but now your choice appointment is here and he's already struggling he needs more time? 1 year only. If he can't get us up he needs to get out. No more easy ride. If he's as good as YOU say he is then he should be able to promote us next season. If not who is talking garbage?

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 10:47 - Mar 18 with 2181 viewschrismakin

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 10:14 - Mar 18 by Mach_foreignBlue

Matheson has never been on loan at Rotherham.

Ah sorry Rochdale

Cook must play the hand he has been dealt on 10:52 - Mar 18 with 2177 viewsclive_baker

Agree with you. Feels like he's trying to force a similar system to Lambert without the personnel for it. Of course Lambert had over 2 years and countless signings to create the personnel for it, which is completely inexcusable. I trust Cook to get it right in time, but as we sit here right now with 8 important weeks ahead of us I think we need a back to basics approach. Step up Norwood, Jackson, Hawkins.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024