Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... 10:26 - Mar 25 with 10632 viewsBlueBertie

Apologies if already mentioned but Mick is on TalkSport at 11am this morning (Thursday). Jim White has just used that phrase 'be careful what you wish for' blah blah blah. He's also mention Mick has still got the hump about the way it ended. Just saying.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 15:20 - Mar 25 with 986 viewsHerbivore

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 15:02 - Mar 25 by bluewein

Think this is still a very revisionist way of looking at it.

The us against them train of thought was in full flow that last season. It was fine when it was little old skint Town challenging for playoff spots, but after that a lot of games seem to be forgotten. The drab 0-0's at home to Burton and Sheff utd, The surrenders against Fulham (4-1), Hull (3-0) Cardiff (3-1) and Middlesborough (2-0). Everything about those games were terrible. We created barely any chances, and looked more than happy at the start of those to just take a point. Fans want to see their team look like they may have even a slight chance of winning, and if you can't muster up a display against the poorest teams in the league then why should we continue forking out for it?

This wouldn't have even been such an issue if we weren't so p1ss poor the season before. The last 3 games of that season against Rotherham, Sheff Wed and Forest summed up everything about us. Low on ideas and zero creativity. Looking back on that season and the sort of performances against Brentford away, Forest at home, QPR away, Huddersfield away, Derby at home and not forgetting THAT Rotherham game and the Lincoln debacle makes you wonder what our plans were...

Now we get to enjoy all of that but against much worse opposition in a crapper league. These are the days.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 15:25 - Mar 25 with 972 viewsPhilTWTD

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 14:59 - Mar 25 by Jon_456

The main thing is our owner has learned from his mistakes and would never let another manager outstay his welc... oh.

Indeed, you'd have thought so, wouldn't you?
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 15:26 - Mar 25 with 971 viewsbluewein

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 15:20 - Mar 25 by Herbivore

Now we get to enjoy all of that but against much worse opposition in a crapper league. These are the days.

Can you honestly say looking back at that time and without knowing what was coming, it was fun walking away from those games and thinking it had been an enjoyable experience? I never wanted to see the sh1t that was thrown at Mick, but I certainly wasn't enjoying myself and it's pretty obvious a lot of other fans weren't...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 15:42 - Mar 25 with 937 viewsHerbivore

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 15:26 - Mar 25 by bluewein

Can you honestly say looking back at that time and without knowing what was coming, it was fun walking away from those games and thinking it had been an enjoyable experience? I never wanted to see the sh1t that was thrown at Mick, but I certainly wasn't enjoying myself and it's pretty obvious a lot of other fans weren't...

It wasn't a lot of fun at the end. 2016/17 was turgid and the last couple of months before Mick left were similarly awful. Ironically in the first half of that season we saw some good stuff at PR, some quite fun performances and we were essentially playing 4-2-4 at times. But by then the damage was done and it did then get dour again. I've said plenty of times that it was the right time for Mick to go, it's just rather ironic that we complained about Mick's football but we have gone on to play even less entertaining football since despite being up against comparatively weak opposition. I could see us going backwards when he went but I thought there'd at least be some fun along the way.

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 15:48 - Mar 25 with 926 viewsbluewein

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 15:42 - Mar 25 by Herbivore

It wasn't a lot of fun at the end. 2016/17 was turgid and the last couple of months before Mick left were similarly awful. Ironically in the first half of that season we saw some good stuff at PR, some quite fun performances and we were essentially playing 4-2-4 at times. But by then the damage was done and it did then get dour again. I've said plenty of times that it was the right time for Mick to go, it's just rather ironic that we complained about Mick's football but we have gone on to play even less entertaining football since despite being up against comparatively weak opposition. I could see us going backwards when he went but I thought there'd at least be some fun along the way.

"I could see us going backwards when he went but I thought there'd at least be some fun along the way."

Indeed. The sad thing about this is Rommy(?) was calling it for months before hand and everyone laughed at the lad. I don't think anyone could see just how much damage would be done in the following 12 months...

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 15:49 - Mar 25 with 916 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 15:02 - Mar 25 by bluewein

Think this is still a very revisionist way of looking at it.

The us against them train of thought was in full flow that last season. It was fine when it was little old skint Town challenging for playoff spots, but after that a lot of games seem to be forgotten. The drab 0-0's at home to Burton and Sheff utd, The surrenders against Fulham (4-1), Hull (3-0) Cardiff (3-1) and Middlesborough (2-0). Everything about those games were terrible. We created barely any chances, and looked more than happy at the start of those to just take a point. Fans want to see their team look like they may have even a slight chance of winning, and if you can't muster up a display against the poorest teams in the league then why should we continue forking out for it?

This wouldn't have even been such an issue if we weren't so p1ss poor the season before. The last 3 games of that season against Rotherham, Sheff Wed and Forest summed up everything about us. Low on ideas and zero creativity. Looking back on that season and the sort of performances against Brentford away, Forest at home, QPR away, Huddersfield away, Derby at home and not forgetting THAT Rotherham game and the Lincoln debacle makes you wonder what our plans were...

I can’t be a*sed to comment on the rest of the thread but that’s a rather incredible assessment of Fulham away. We were 1-0 up after an hour and fairly comfortable until Spence got sent off stupidly for retaliation - it was only after we were down to 10 men that the game changed. Whilst that capitulation was frustrating (they scored 4 in what felt like 10 mins from memory) it was perhaps understandable, particularly as their second came with a heavy dose of good fortune

Also of the 4 defeats you list 2 of those sides were promoted and another made the playoffs, they were hardly the poorest teams in the league as you make out. Similarly Sheff U finished in the top 10 and got promoted the following season

Certainly no arguments on Burton or Hull (I went to the latter and it was absolutely woeful) but leagues are played over seasons not cherry picked games and we were a top half team in 2017/18, no matter how much people may be desperate to pretend we weren’t

EDIT: just realised the Hull game was the home one whereas I was thinking of a Tuesday night away one (season before I think), but the comment is accurate for both
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 16:29]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 15:51 - Mar 25 with 909 viewsHerbivore

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 15:48 - Mar 25 by bluewein

"I could see us going backwards when he went but I thought there'd at least be some fun along the way."

Indeed. The sad thing about this is Rommy(?) was calling it for months before hand and everyone laughed at the lad. I don't think anyone could see just how much damage would be done in the following 12 months...

I don't think the damage Hurst did could have been foreseen. We lost three or four of our best players and replaced them with dross. He then alienated many of the senior pros and destroyed the form and morale of a few of our key players. Incredible damage in just a couple of months.

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 15:56 - Mar 25 with 903 viewsbluewein

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 15:49 - Mar 25 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I can’t be a*sed to comment on the rest of the thread but that’s a rather incredible assessment of Fulham away. We were 1-0 up after an hour and fairly comfortable until Spence got sent off stupidly for retaliation - it was only after we were down to 10 men that the game changed. Whilst that capitulation was frustrating (they scored 4 in what felt like 10 mins from memory) it was perhaps understandable, particularly as their second came with a heavy dose of good fortune

Also of the 4 defeats you list 2 of those sides were promoted and another made the playoffs, they were hardly the poorest teams in the league as you make out. Similarly Sheff U finished in the top 10 and got promoted the following season

Certainly no arguments on Burton or Hull (I went to the latter and it was absolutely woeful) but leagues are played over seasons not cherry picked games and we were a top half team in 2017/18, no matter how much people may be desperate to pretend we weren’t

EDIT: just realised the Hull game was the home one whereas I was thinking of a Tuesday night away one (season before I think), but the comment is accurate for both
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 16:29]

To be fair, I'm using these as an example of how bad things were getting from my memory of those seasons. There's a lot more that I've probably pushed to the back of my memory, but those are the stand outs for me.

I don't think it's unfair to point that Fulham game out as well as it kind of sums up the heads going down mentality we seem to have now. It's only become worse since then...

Login to get fewer ads

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 16:01 - Mar 25 with 893 viewsbluewein

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 15:51 - Mar 25 by Herbivore

I don't think the damage Hurst did could have been foreseen. We lost three or four of our best players and replaced them with dross. He then alienated many of the senior pros and destroyed the form and morale of a few of our key players. Incredible damage in just a couple of months.

And that's probably where people get frustrated with the BCWYWF line. Because there is no way anyone, even the biggest halfwit at Brentford could have looked at that squad and thought "what we really need is 42 goals to be ripped out of the team and an international keeper and 3 time player of the year to be undermined"...

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 16:19 - Mar 25 with 868 viewsPJH

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 15:26 - Mar 25 by bluewein

I know that I am in a minority but I was very happy at the end of games at Sunderland, Preston and Sheff W in February and March 2018 because we won them all. I did not enjoy going to games at Portman Road around that time but not because of what was happening on the pitch, because of what was happening off it.

I wish we could have played all games away that season because for all the help the 'home' support was we might as well have been and I am sure that the players were happier playing away from Portman Road.
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 16:27 - Mar 25 with 855 viewslongtimefan

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 16:19 - Mar 25 by PJH

I know that I am in a minority but I was very happy at the end of games at Sunderland, Preston and Sheff W in February and March 2018 because we won them all. I did not enjoy going to games at Portman Road around that time but not because of what was happening on the pitch, because of what was happening off it.

I wish we could have played all games away that season because for all the help the 'home' support was we might as well have been and I am sure that the players were happier playing away from Portman Road.

Indeed, the Hull game in particular was the worst “performance” I’ve witnessed, not by the players but by a large section of our supposed supporters, who were on the players back before we’d conceded the first goal
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 16:39 - Mar 25 with 836 viewsjudespiveyg

What are your thoughts on the low attendances though? What were they attributed to?
In my mind there must have been a reason so many stayed away.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 17:24 - Mar 25 with 799 viewsbluewein

Sorry PJH. Re. The players, I can't buy into that I'm afraid.

Don't get me wrong though, I do get what you mean with the fans to a degree as that Wigan away game n December '16 was a classic example of certain fans shouting and screaming for the hell of it before we won with one of the quietest celebrations I've ever heard.

But If fans getting on their backs was a problem, why are they so poor now? There's still a chunk of that side left in this current lot playing in empty grounds, and I think we have to accept that there's a bit of a "Everyone's being mean to us, time to curl up and hope it goes away" attitude that's been hanging around this club for way too long...

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 17:29 - Mar 25 with 788 viewsJ2BLUE

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 10:54 - Mar 25 by bluebud

Why? we treated him with such a level of stupidity that the football world won't let us forget it for a lot longer than 3 years...and it's totally deserved.

We?

It was a minority of dickheads.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 17:29 - Mar 25 with 789 viewsLeaky

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:07 - Mar 25 by Herbivore

Following Town at away matches in London invariably makes me feel embarrassed to be a Town fan. The Stone Island lads are usually out in force, middle aged blokes with shiny heads trying to start fights with their fellow fans. Awful.

So are you saying its only London fans responsible. I was at that game the abuse was coming from Ipswich based fans as well
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 17:34 - Mar 25 with 781 viewsPJH

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 17:24 - Mar 25 by bluewein

Sorry PJH. Re. The players, I can't buy into that I'm afraid.

Don't get me wrong though, I do get what you mean with the fans to a degree as that Wigan away game n December '16 was a classic example of certain fans shouting and screaming for the hell of it before we won with one of the quietest celebrations I've ever heard.

But If fans getting on their backs was a problem, why are they so poor now? There's still a chunk of that side left in this current lot playing in empty grounds, and I think we have to accept that there's a bit of a "Everyone's being mean to us, time to curl up and hope it goes away" attitude that's been hanging around this club for way too long...

I believe they were happier playing away because there was less pressure on them there because in 'home' games at best there was a negative atmosphere and often worse than negative.

In away games you expect the support to be generally against you but you should not have to expect the support to be generally against you in home games.

I would think visiting teams looked forward to coming to PR back then because they would know that they would not be playing against a crowd and quite possibly they would have the crowd with them.

That game at Wigan was the first time that the negativity of support surfaced( certainly away)because we went from being 2-1 down to win 3-2 and that confused a chunk of our 'support'.
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 17:36 - Mar 25 with 777 viewsHerbivore

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 17:29 - Mar 25 by Leaky

So are you saying its only London fans responsible. I was at that game the abuse was coming from Ipswich based fans as well

It's more that London away days attract dickheads, not that those dickheads are London-based. Judging by how novel most of them seem to find the underground I'm guessing they are mostly yokels.

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 17:41 - Mar 25 with 765 viewsbraveblue

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 10:54 - Mar 25 by bluebud

Why? we treated him with such a level of stupidity that the football world won't let us forget it for a lot longer than 3 years...and it's totally deserved.

Fans upset with manager who after 5 years took them to lowest position for 50 years? Not exactly surprising.
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 17:42 - Mar 25 with 761 viewsJ2BLUE

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 17:41 - Mar 25 by braveblue

Fans upset with manager who after 5 years took them to lowest position for 50 years? Not exactly surprising.

Or alternatively kept us in the Championship with one hand tied behind his back

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 18:00 - Mar 25 with 735 viewsKeaneish

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:07 - Mar 25 by Herbivore

Following Town at away matches in London invariably makes me feel embarrassed to be a Town fan. The Stone Island lads are usually out in force, middle aged blokes with shiny heads trying to start fights with their fellow fans. Awful.

For those in doubt, this falls somewhere between snobbery and bigotry.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 18:01 - Mar 25 with 733 viewsHerbivore

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 18:00 - Mar 25 by Keaneish

For those in doubt, this falls somewhere between snobbery and bigotry.

It's completely accurate as it goes.

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 19:08 - Mar 25 with 687 viewskesblue

I believe there are still town fans who think we're better off without him..
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 19:09]
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 19:16 - Mar 25 with 680 viewsHighgateBlue

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 19:08 - Mar 25 by kesblue

I believe there are still town fans who think we're better off without him..
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 19:09]

He's the only manager in the last 20 years to plainly overachieve versus the prevailing budget. I can't see how that can really be in dispute.

Many fans got bored with the fact that we were not playing attractive football and got bored that our league position wasn't changing enough for their liking. They wanted a soap opera and they got one. They treated him appallingly, and it's a measure of the man that he still spoke well of us to Paul Cook. The treatment that our best manager since Burley received at the hands of many Town fans was shameful. And it's the same fans who now refer to the period since as a decline (which of course it has been) and blame Evans.
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 20:54 - Mar 25 with 627 viewsKeaneish

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 18:01 - Mar 25 by Herbivore

It's completely accurate as it goes.

You’re embarrassed to be a Town fan because of brand association and the type of reflection off men’s heads? Man up, Herbs. I can honestly say I rarely if ever see Town fans in Stone Island jackets let alone starting fights. Are you trying to pass off the opening scene of Green Street as a real life experience?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 21:09 - Mar 25 with 609 viewsPJH

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 17:41 - Mar 25 by braveblue

YES! Congratulations, that must now be 50 times that you have posted the same thing.

It was slightly relevant once too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024