Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thought to myself this morning 11:03 - Mar 26 with 2127 viewsCheltenham_Blue

and I wonder if any of us has ever thought it.

Evans isn't the greatest footballing brain for sure, but to literally stand by whilst Hurst dismantled a championship squad without once going, "Are you sure about this", or to ask one of his advisers if they were.

I'm actually wondering if when Hurst came in, he was told he had to get money in the door by Evans.

He said something about McGoldrick, that always seemed odd. "he wasn’t on any sheet or budget I was given", its that use of the word, "budget" in the sentence, instead of just saying, "team sheet" that seems weird.

Maybe I've read too much into it. But even with paying over the odds for Jackson, we still ended up with a £5.4m profit on player sales in 18/19 as stated in the accounts.

Imagine what that money might have done for us? Brentford signed Benrahama and Konza for a combined £4.1m that year.

Its all very odd when the single constant these last 10 years has been Evans.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Thought to myself this morning on 11:13 - Mar 26 with 1767 viewsSwansea_Blue

The thing that stands out to me about Hurst is Evans' comments after Hurst had gone, along the lines of being surprised that Hurst had changed the squad so much. Sounded to me like Evans wasn't really aware of what was going on in the club. I found that extremely surprising (although it explains a lot).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

We need a CEO that..... on 11:15 - Mar 26 with 1758 viewsBloots

....fits 3 criteria:

1. Has experience in a similar role within football
2. Has succeeded in that role
3. Is given the freedom by Evans to fulfill the role without interference

Until this happens the club will go nowhere.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Not difficult is it? (n/t) on 11:17 - Mar 26 with 1732 viewsSwansea_Blue

We need a CEO that..... on 11:15 - Mar 26 by Bloots

....fits 3 criteria:

It is if you.... on 11:20 - Mar 26 with 1715 viewsBloots

Not difficult is it? (n/t) on 11:17 - Mar 26 by Swansea_Blue

....are a control freak like Evans.

In the whole scheme of things chucking a couple of hundred grand at an experienced CEO and trusting him to run things properly seems an absolute no brainer.

I expect that Evans is concerned about the home truths, and potential expense, that he might be hit with if he does it though.

He needs to eat some humble pie, but I doubt he will.

Bloots you could be just the man!! on 11:21 - Mar 26 with 1708 viewsKeno

....fits 3 criteria:

BLOOTS FOR CEO!!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

We need a CEO that..... on 11:21 - Mar 26 with 1708 viewsfooters

....fits 3 criteria:

Woah, woah, woah there. Can't we just give the tea lady a promotion?

Do businesses still have tea ladies, or tea people to be more politically correct?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The club has got a drinks fridge..... on 11:24 - Mar 26 with 1688 viewsBloots

We need a CEO that..... on 11:21 - Mar 26 by footers

Do businesses still have tea ladies, or tea people to be more politically correct?

....does that count?

We need a CEO that..... on 11:24 - Mar 26 with 1688 viewsKeno

We need a CEO that..... on 11:21 - Mar 26 by footers

Actually its should be "Non gender specific any temperature beverage provider"

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

You can't slap a fridge on the arse. on 11:27 - Mar 26 with 1670 viewsfooters

The club has got a drinks fridge..... on 11:24 - Mar 26 by Bloots

....does that count?

So no.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Thought to myself this morning on 11:27 - Mar 26 with 1664 viewsjayessess

Tbf to Evans, I don't think we really want him interfering in squad management/recruitment decisions beyond "this is the budget".

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Thought to myself this morning on 11:28 - Mar 26 with 1667 viewsitfcjoe

Hurst was told to sign players with experience and went against that - pushing Waggy out the door at a knock down price to be able to bring in Nolan and Nsiala

McGoldrick was being released, no great mystery to that one - he had been expensive and barely played (and for all his success since had to endure a long trial before Shef U offered him a 1 year deal)

Hurst wanted to sgin the Wimbledon defender who's name escapes me (Oshiala?) but Evans pulled plug on that and went for Pennington instead, and Evans pushed through the Walters transfer to try and get more experience through the door.

Hurst went against his brief/agreement, and Evans let it happen.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Thought to myself this morning on 11:34 - Mar 26 with 1636 viewsSwansea_Blue

Thought to myself this morning on 11:28 - Mar 26 by itfcjoe

Hurst was told to sign players with experience and went against that - pushing Waggy out the door at a knock down price to be able to bring in Nolan and Nsiala

McGoldrick was being released, no great mystery to that one - he had been expensive and barely played (and for all his success since had to endure a long trial before Shef U offered him a 1 year deal)

Hurst wanted to sgin the Wimbledon defender who's name escapes me (Oshiala?) but Evans pulled plug on that and went for Pennington instead, and Evans pushed through the Walters transfer to try and get more experience through the door.

The thought of Evans having a say in players is utterly terrifying. (Beyond the finances of course).
[Post edited 26 Mar 2021 11:34]

The club has got a drinks fridge..... on 11:39 - Mar 26 with 1595 viewsitfcjoe

The club has got a drinks fridge..... on 11:24 - Mar 26 by Bloots

....does that count?

The same drinks fridge Hurst banned the U23s from taking water out of ....

Thought to myself this morning on 11:41 - Mar 26 with 1577 viewsITFC_Forever

I've always thought this was pretty obvious.

I think Hurst was told by ME there wasn't much of a budget to bring in new players, but anything he would be able to keep a certain % of any incoming fees for players sold.

Webster duly left a couple of weeks later and Hurst started his lower league shopping spree.

Hurst and Deputy Doig then started pre-season training with the players, and the likes of Waghorn and Garner thought "sod this, we're off".

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Thought to myself this morning on 11:44 - Mar 26 with 1562 viewsGarv

Thought to myself this morning on 11:28 - Mar 26 by itfcjoe

Was he? I thought his brief was to recruit 'young and hungry' players from the lower leagues, which he did, just far too many.

Do you also genuinely think he was keen to get Waghorn out the door?!

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Thought to myself this morning on 11:50 - Mar 26 with 1530 viewsitfcjoe

Thought to myself this morning on 11:44 - Mar 26 by Garv

Was he? I thought his brief was to recruit 'young and hungry' players from the lower leagues, which he did, just far too many.

Do you also genuinely think he was keen to get Waghorn out the door?!

We ended up selling Waghorn for less than we wanted to because Hurst needed that deal to go through as the top domino

Thought to myself this morning on 11:53 - Mar 26 with 1502 viewsBlueWorldOrder

McGoldrick claimed he was told Hurst released him. He was released before Hurst had arrived along with Hyam and Bru. Either Hurst was managing some aspects of the club before appointment which is very naughty as he was Shrewsbury boss or Didz was lied to by the club. Hurst though was a well supported appointment much like Cook was. He had success in the lower leagues and was, along with Jack Ross, the choice manager for Town. Evans appointed him but he was the manager we all wanted. We were just wrong. Mick should have been given a new deal and we may have lost a few thousand season tickets but we'd still be in a real league rather than dying in this one.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

Thought to myself this morning on 12:06 - Mar 26 with 1467 viewsWD19

Evans is on record as having been deeply uncomfortable with what Hurst was doing, but he likes to trust his managers and give them latitude.

And Hurst was the 'young and hungry' manager the fans wanted. Once he was here he had to be trusted.

Evans probably regrets it every single day......and probably also regrets going away from his principles and being too influenced by the fans.
Thought to myself this morning on 12:12 - Mar 26 with 1423 viewsBlueWorldOrder

Thought to myself this morning on 12:06 - Mar 26 by WD19

Evans is on record as having been deeply uncomfortable with what Hurst was doing, but he likes to trust his managers and give them latitude.

And Hurst was the 'young and hungry' manager the fans wanted. Once he was here he had to be trusted.

Evans probably regrets it every single day......and probably also regrets going away from his principles and being too influenced by the fans.

He said as much about not wanting Lambert gone. I hope he was wrong this time.

Thought to myself this morning on 12:16 - Mar 26 with 1412 viewsJ2BLUE

Exactly. How can people not see this? Evans is the problem now. When he first came in you can say the problem was Keane wasting the money but the last decade has been Evans. Look at Cardiff now with MM. To give anyone but Evans majority blame is just stupid.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Thought to myself this morning on 12:21 - Mar 26 with 1399 viewsBlueWorldOrder

Thought to myself this morning on 12:16 - Mar 26 by J2BLUE

Exactly. How can people not see this? Evans is the problem now. When he first came in you can say the problem was Keane wasting the money but the last decade has been Evans. Look at Cardiff now with MM. To give anyone but Evans majority blame is just stupid.

Have you read Keane's book. As much as I hated him at the time, he was working with a nightmare here. He, Clegg and Evans were never once in the same room together. Clegg would go off and pay fees for players and offer contracts without consulting Keane about it. Evans would also pull deals for better players due to costs that were dead cert. to sign for us. He had a nightmare trying to get it right because the club was so poorly run. He never got the players he wanted as a result.

Thought to myself this morning on 12:28 - Mar 26 with 1368 viewsJ2BLUE

Thought to myself this morning on 12:21 - Mar 26 by BlueWorldOrder

Have you read Keane's book. As much as I hated him at the time, he was working with a nightmare here. He, Clegg and Evans were never once in the same room together. Clegg would go off and pay fees for players and offer contracts without consulting Keane about it. Evans would also pull deals for better players due to costs that were dead cert. to sign for us. He had a nightmare trying to get it right because the club was so poorly run. He never got the players he wanted as a result.

I haven't but it sounds like I should! Bloody hell.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Thought to myself this morning on 13:20 - Mar 26 with 1286 viewsGarv

Thought to myself this morning on 11:50 - Mar 26 by itfcjoe

We ended up selling Waghorn for less than we wanted to because Hurst needed that deal to go through as the top domino

Yeah I felt that was quite clear. I suppose if you put it that way then yes he wanted to get him out the door, but surely he would have kept him if he could. Evans made a tidy profit on players that summer.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Thought to myself this morning on 13:22 - Mar 26 with 1275 viewschrismakin

Thought to myself this morning on 13:20 - Mar 26 by Garv

Yeah I felt that was quite clear. I suppose if you put it that way then yes he wanted to get him out the door, but surely he would have kept him if he could. Evans made a tidy profit on players that summer.

How much did we get in

We spent out £2 mill on Nolan and toto
Jackson... 1.5mill ?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Thought to myself this morning on 13:26 - Mar 26 with 1255 viewschrismakin

Thought to myself this morning on 12:21 - Mar 26 by BlueWorldOrder

Didnt Keane though pull out of signing a striker because his girlfriend had a dog in a handbag.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024