Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lammy handles this pretty well 16:45 - Mar 29 with 6153 viewsStokieBlue

I realise the caller is older but the state of the mindset is quite something. I find it especially interesting that she's English because she traced her roots back to the Anglo Saxons....

It's actually quite a hard listen in places.

Hard to make progress when attitudes like this remain.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Lammy handles this pretty well on 16:47 - Mar 29 with 2518 viewsJ2BLUE

Can't face listening to it but why did she say he's not English?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Lammy handles this pretty well on 16:49 - Mar 29 with 2503 viewsStokieBlue

Lammy handles this pretty well on 16:47 - Mar 29 by J2BLUE

Apparently he can't be English because he's got African-Caribbean roots but he can be British. She can be English because she has traced her roots back to the Anglo Saxons (who were German).

It's a total car crash but a good insight into how some people (and I hope and assume very few people) are uneducated in these things. He handled it very well and tried to explain to her why she was wrong.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Lammy handles this pretty well on 16:49 - Mar 29 with 2490 viewsBlueBadger

Because, racism, I'm guessing.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lammy handles this pretty well on 16:56 - Mar 29 with 2461 viewsCoastalblue

It's actually mind boggling isn't it? You wonder how these peope have the intelligence to dress themselves in the morning, maybe they don't?

I know a guy, black, who can trace his ancestory back to the 1600's in Liverpool I think it was, and his ancestory was black too mostly, but of course some Jonny come lately whose family has only been here a couple of hundred years yet who happens to be white is bound to be more English than him, I mean it stands to reason doesn't it?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Lammy handles this pretty well on 16:58 - Mar 29 with 2438 viewsJ2BLUE

Lammy handles this pretty well on 16:49 - Mar 29 by StokieBlue

Apparently he can't be English because he's got African-Caribbean roots but he can be British. She can be English because she has traced her roots back to the Anglo Saxons (who were German).

It's a total car crash but a good insight into how some people (and I hope and assume very few people) are uneducated in these things. He handled it very well and tried to explain to her why she was wrong.

SB

Oh dear.

Cheers for the explanation.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Lammy handles this pretty well on 17:28 - Mar 29 with 2362 viewsWeWereZombies

As you say. Lammy keeps his cool. Just a shame that he could not have given her the full history lesson by pointing out that at the time of the Anglo-Saxon immigration into these islands there was no England but a number of smaller kingdoms. To call these kingdoms in the modern sense is a bit misleading though as they were more akin to territories marking out the extent of particular tribes. One of which, that of the Britons, was mainly in Scotland but had influence throughout the west of what is now England as well as Wales, Ireland and Brittany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Saxon_settlement_of_Britain

Most of us are no less the ancestors of immigrants than Lammy is. If the relationship of the time of human life on this planet can be seen as similar to the tip of a fingernail in relation to the size of a human body then we all arrived more or less yesterday.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2021 17:30]

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Lammy handles this pretty well on 18:04 - Mar 29 with 2294 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

That was a good listen...I think, the thought of all those white Caribbean types must have confused her!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Lammy handles this pretty well on 18:14 - Mar 29 with 2277 viewsvapour_trail

Horrible ignorant old racist, essentially.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Login to get fewer ads

Lammy handles this pretty well on 18:19 - Mar 29 with 2273 viewsfooters

Lammy handles this pretty well on 16:56 - Mar 29 by Coastalblue

It's actually mind boggling isn't it? You wonder how these peope have the intelligence to dress themselves in the morning, maybe they don't?

I know a guy, black, who can trace his ancestory back to the 1600's in Liverpool I think it was, and his ancestory was black too mostly, but of course some Jonny come lately whose family has only been here a couple of hundred years yet who happens to be white is bound to be more English than him, I mean it stands to reason doesn't it?

It's only a race and name issue, isn't it? Neither of my parents are British and I'm white as milk yet no one pulls me up about being born to immigrants.

It's almost as if...

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Lammy handles this pretty well on 18:23 - Mar 29 with 2255 viewsCoastalblue

Lammy handles this pretty well on 18:19 - Mar 29 by footers

It's only a race and name issue, isn't it? Neither of my parents are British and I'm white as milk yet no one pulls me up about being born to immigrants.

It's almost as if...

Really?

Blimey, can't talk to you any more, whose job did you steal?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Lammy handles this pretty well on 18:24 - Mar 29 with 2247 viewsjeera

Lammy handles this pretty well on 16:58 - Mar 29 by J2BLUE

Oh dear.

Cheers for the explanation.

Wait till she finds out we have snakes here.

It'll blow her mind.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Lammy handles this pretty well on 18:26 - Mar 29 with 2241 viewsfooters

Lammy handles this pretty well on 18:23 - Mar 29 by Coastalblue

Really?

Blimey, can't talk to you any more, whose job did you steal?

What do you do for a living? Whatever that is.

Can't say I've had many of your women though. Nor men.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Lammy handles this pretty well on 18:30 - Mar 29 with 2214 viewsjeera

SB

There once was a poster on here who kept on insisting the same thing and refused to take on board each time anyone tried to explain who the Angles were.

Sure it's ok that we haven't all had the same standard of education, but to try to double down when arguing with something so basic...

I was chatting to a mate of mine about the English language, (which I happen to think is a great language btw), and when it came up that roughly 28% of English comes from French, he asked how I could be sure it wasn't the other way around.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2021 18:55]

Lammy handles this pretty well on 18:46 - Mar 29 with 2171 viewsBlueLikeJazz

Lammy handles this pretty well on 18:30 - Mar 29 by jeera

There once was a poster on here who kept on insisting the same thing and refused to take on board each time anyone tried to explain who the Angles were.

Sure it's ok that we haven't all had the same standard of education, but to try to double down when arguing with something so basic...

I was chatting to a mate of mine about the English language, (which I happen to think is a great language btw), and when it came up that roughly 28% of English comes from French, he asked how I could be sure it wasn't the other way around.

Well, one of the BNP's education policies was teaching compulsory Anglo-Saxon in schools. Sometimes there just aren't enough facepalms in the world...
Lammy handles this pretty well on 18:55 - Mar 29 with 2133 viewsGlasgowBlue

"Polluted" FFS!

Lammy was calm and dignified. He's had to deal with this sh1t all of his life and can bat it away quite easily in public but he's probably seething underneath and quite rightly so.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Lammy handles this pretty well on 19:03 - Mar 29 with 2107 viewsleitrimblue

SB

The general lack of understanding that so many people have about there own ancient history an genetics is shocking. Think a complete rethink about the way we teach history and historical theory is needed. Think people need to understand the complex mix of cultures that formed the early British isles. To completely over simplify the subject we are descended from late Mesolithic EUROPEAN Hunter gather bands and the many other numerous groups that have landed on this island for the approx 10000 years since then
Lammy handles this pretty well on 19:19 - Mar 29 with 2063 viewsjeera

I just listened to it and she really is horrendous.

You must listen if only to discover how far your own mouth can gape in disbelief.

She describes people coming together from different shores as pollution.

Lammy has my total respect for maintaining such impeccable patience and good manners.

I'd have lost it within the first few seconds.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2021 19:20]

Lammy handles this pretty well on 19:21 - Mar 29 with 2050 viewsMullet

Lammy handles this pretty well on 18:24 - Mar 29 by jeera

Wait till she finds out we have snakes here.

It'll blow her mind.

Sounds like she voted for them too.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Lammy handles this pretty well on 19:24 - Mar 29 with 2044 viewsjeera

Lammy handles this pretty well on 19:21 - Mar 29 by Mullet

Sounds like she voted for them too.

Did you listen to it?

I'd like to hear her call O'Brien with her views on that.

He wouldn't be so civil.

Lammy handles this pretty well on 19:28 - Mar 29 with 2036 viewsMullet

Lammy handles this pretty well on 19:24 - Mar 29 by jeera

Did you listen to it?

I'd like to hear her call O'Brien with her views on that.

He wouldn't be so civil.

I think the reason Lammy is so successful is because he is so calm and articulate. You can't drag down someone who doesn't lose their temper etc. It's like Rees-Mogg but sincere and with real threat, that's the difference.

Sadly we all know these attitudes exist and are far more common than we want to admit. The last few years of Tory culture wars and whitewashing of British History to "we won a war y'know" whilst embarrassing the rest of us has distracted from the fact that at the root of it, is a bedrock of Jeans.

Lammy handles this pretty well on 19:28 - Mar 29 with 2043 viewsGuthrum

I haven't listened to it, but how has she claimed to have traced her ancestry back to the Anglo-Saxons?

Despite being a reasonably experienced genealogist, I've struggled to get back much more than 10 generations along any line, at most back to the early 17th century. Even if the parish records are not lost, damaged, unreadable, inconclusive (due to the similarity of names), confused by non-conformism od simply stymied by dead ends, that line of enquiry cannot go earlier than 1538, when they were first kept.

It's a long time between the Saxons and 1538, a period only covered by the occasional family tree - some of which were more than a little fanciful. And during which most people did not have surnames which could be followed.

I would presume she has taken one of the broad-brush DNA tests, which at best would be able to say she has some north-western European germanic or scandinavian genetic markers. Which says nothing about ones nationality.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lammy handles this pretty well on 19:31 - Mar 29 with 2035 viewsMullet

Lammy handles this pretty well on 19:28 - Mar 29 by Guthrum

I haven't listened to it, but how has she claimed to have traced her ancestry back to the Anglo-Saxons?

Despite being a reasonably experienced genealogist, I've struggled to get back much more than 10 generations along any line, at most back to the early 17th century. Even if the parish records are not lost, damaged, unreadable, inconclusive (due to the similarity of names), confused by non-conformism od simply stymied by dead ends, that line of enquiry cannot go earlier than 1538, when they were first kept.

It's a long time between the Saxons and 1538, a period only covered by the occasional family tree - some of which were more than a little fanciful. And during which most people did not have surnames which could be followed.

I would presume she has taken one of the broad-brush DNA tests, which at best would be able to say she has some north-western European germanic or scandinavian genetic markers. Which says nothing about ones nationality.

I've just finished Adam Rutherford's excellent book and essentially, our ignorance and inability to understand our heritage is pretty tragic. Basically, it's impossible to be pretty accurate and most of those DNA tests are a con innit.

Much better off to claim Viking heritage if you're white and European as that'll be true and completely useless all at the same time.

Lammy handles this pretty well on 19:34 - Mar 29 with 2008 viewsBlueBadger

Lammy handles this pretty well on 18:30 - Mar 29 by jeera

Who was the extremely right-wing poster on here who named himself after a Saxon king or something?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lammy handles this pretty well on 19:34 - Mar 29 with 2014 viewsbluelagos

Lammy handles this pretty well on 19:19 - Mar 29 by jeera

I just listened to it and she really is horrendous.

You must listen if only to discover how far your own mouth can gape in disbelief.

She describes people coming together from different shores as pollution.

Lammy has my total respect for maintaining such impeccable patience and good manners.

I'd have lost it within the first few seconds.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2021 19:20]

That she said he could be British and not English and that he was Afro-Caribbean, I am guessing she was equating English to being white.

I wonder if it was thus her confusing someone's ethnicity with their nationality? Lammy batted that nonsence off beautifully with the fact their are white people who are considered caribbean.

He was incredibly calm and polite, no doubt an issue he's used to but not sure I'd have managed it.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Lammy handles this pretty well on 19:35 - Mar 29 with 2005 viewsjeera

Lammy handles this pretty well on 19:31 - Mar 29 by Mullet

I've just finished Adam Rutherford's excellent book and essentially, our ignorance and inability to understand our heritage is pretty tragic. Basically, it's impossible to be pretty accurate and most of those DNA tests are a con innit.

Much better off to claim Viking heritage if you're white and European as that'll be true and completely useless all at the same time.

Next thing you'll be telling us is people can't really just have any star named formally after them nor buy a Lordship up in Scotland.

Although being English it should be a birthright anyway admittedly.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024