Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Drinan. 10:29 - Apr 3 with 2898 viewsirishtim

Is he worth a short term deal? I know not prolific but service is terrible. Looks like he tries his best and is committed. Maybe he could be given a chance?
Drinan. on 10:42 - Apr 3 with 2562 viewsBluefish

He needs a full season somewhere to toughen up. He is keen but naive

He offers more than Jackson or Sears up top but that doesn't mean a lot

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Drinan. on 10:44 - Apr 3 with 2552 viewsIpswichKnight

Nope, he is not actually very good. We need strikers in the club who actually score! the only striker we should be keeping is Norwood the rest should all be shown the door in the summer. I refuse to believe we can not find 2/3 strikers who will immediately be better than the ones we currently have.
Drinan. on 10:47 - Apr 3 with 2530 viewsjayessess

Hawkins and Norwood are already under contract for next season. We'll look to recruit at least one, so I don't see that there's space for a 23 year old with 1 goal in 17 appearances for us.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Drinan. on 10:49 - Apr 3 with 2524 viewsWeirdFishes

No, with respect he’s a non-league level player at best.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Drinan. on 10:51 - Apr 3 with 2516 viewsDubtractor

I wouldn't. He puts in plenty of effort and all that, but the bottom line is that he isn't good enough and I don't think he ever will be.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Drinan. on 11:07 - Apr 3 with 2465 viewsGuthrum

A lot of the above comments are very similar to what we were saying about Kieffer Moore. Think we need to give him a bit more of a chance before writing him off.

I'm not sure he was much less effective - if at all - than Jackson yesterday.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Drinan. on 11:08 - Apr 3 with 2446 viewsjayessess

Drinan. on 11:07 - Apr 3 by Guthrum

A lot of the above comments are very similar to what we were saying about Kieffer Moore. Think we need to give him a bit more of a chance before writing him off.

We sent Kieffer Moore on loan to this division and he destroyed it.

Drinan. on 11:09 - Apr 3 with 2445 viewsDubtractor

Drinan. on 11:07 - Apr 3 by Guthrum

I see that argument Guthers, but Joe made the point yesterday that we have spent the last 3 or 4 years offering contracts to loads of younger players that MIGHT make the grade, and as a result we've bloated the squad and blocked any route to the first team for any of them.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Login to get fewer ads

Drinan. on 11:14 - Apr 3 with 2420 viewsGuthrum

Drinan. on 11:08 - Apr 3 by jayessess

We sent Kieffer Moore on loan to this division and he destroyed it.

But now we are in this division, perhaps we ought to send Drinan one further down on loan?

Drinan. on 11:18 - Apr 3 with 2409 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Drinan. on 11:14 - Apr 3 by Guthrum

But now we are in this division, perhaps we ought to send Drinan one further down on loan?

In order to possibly prepare him to be good enough at League 1 level.

We need to be developing players ourselves at League 1 level to be good enough to be competitive at Championship level.

Drinan has the right attitude and is hard working but, for me, he is a more certain let go than Sears and right now Sears is one to let go without any doubt for me (which I think is a shame because he did a good job for us for a long time but he seems incapable of it any longer).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Drinan. on 11:21 - Apr 3 with 2393 viewsGuthrum

Drinan. on 11:09 - Apr 3 by Dubtractor

I see that argument Guthers, but Joe made the point yesterday that we have spent the last 3 or 4 years offering contracts to loads of younger players that MIGHT make the grade, and as a result we've bloated the squad and blocked any route to the first team for any of them.

Arguably, Drinan has worked his way into the fringes of the First Team, regularly coming off the bench, if nothing else. He didn't exactly come through our Youth system, either, being 19 when McCarthy signed him.

Bear in mind also that we've often been playing a lone striker and he's unlikely to displace Norwood when the latter's fit.

Drinan. on 11:23 - Apr 3 with 2384 viewsKeaneish

Nope, not for me. Agree with others that he’s National League standard.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Drinan. on 11:23 - Apr 3 with 2382 viewsGuthrum

Drinan. on 11:18 - Apr 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

In order to possibly prepare him to be good enough at League 1 level.

We need to be developing players ourselves at League 1 level to be good enough to be competitive at Championship level.

Drinan has the right attitude and is hard working but, for me, he is a more certain let go than Sears and right now Sears is one to let go without any doubt for me (which I think is a shame because he did a good job for us for a long time but he seems incapable of it any longer).

We may have another season in League One before we can think of Championship standards. We need to win that campaign first.

Drinan. on 11:26 - Apr 3 with 2362 viewsjayessess

Drinan. on 11:14 - Apr 3 by Guthrum

He's had 4 loan spells, not much destroying to observe in the National League, the League of Ireland First Division, the Swedish Superettan or the Scottish Championship.

He's going to be 23 in a month. I don't think you can justify giving him a "maybe you'll still make it" contract.

Drinan. on 11:27 - Apr 3 with 2355 viewsTractorFrog

I would give him a new contract. Right now, he's not a brilliant striker, but there is definitely potential in him. I think he deserves another chance, maybe after a loan to league 2.

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

Drinan. on 11:32 - Apr 3 with 2331 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Drinan. on 11:23 - Apr 3 by Guthrum

We may have another season in League One before we can think of Championship standards. We need to win that campaign first.

Yes. A season during which you are suggesting loaning out Drinan to get him ready for League 1 while we intend to be getting promoted to the Championship.

We have too large a squad. Keeping Drinan continues to push Simpson, Morris and Folami further down the pecking order. If we need a back-up squad player to our strikers we should look to one or more of those three.

We need to release Jackson, Sears and Drinan and bring in at least 2 strikers with a physical presence and an eye for goal. I would argue that, if possible, we should look to move on Hawkins too. He is not what we need and does not fit with the system Cook favours.

Drinan. on 11:44 - Apr 3 with 2312 viewsGuthrum

Drinan. on 11:32 - Apr 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

Yes. A season during which you are suggesting loaning out Drinan to get him ready for League 1 while we intend to be getting promoted to the Championship.

We have too large a squad. Keeping Drinan continues to push Simpson, Morris and Folami further down the pecking order. If we need a back-up squad player to our strikers we should look to one or more of those three.

We need to release Jackson, Sears and Drinan and bring in at least 2 strikers with a physical presence and an eye for goal. I would argue that, if possible, we should look to move on Hawkins too. He is not what we need and does not fit with the system Cook favours.

Are Simpson, Folami and Morris any better? They haven't, as yet, really made their presence felt, either. The latter two are only a year younger than Drinan.

I'm not exactly sure Drinan needs to go out on loan again. I'd like to see him and Norwood (or perhaps Jackson) played together, if we're going to go with a two. One to hold up, the other to feed off.

Drinan. on 11:49 - Apr 3 with 2294 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Drinan. on 11:44 - Apr 3 by Guthrum

Are Simpson, Folami and Morris any better? They haven't, as yet, really made their presence felt, either. The latter two are only a year younger than Drinan.

I'm not exactly sure Drinan needs to go out on loan again. I'd like to see him and Norwood (or perhaps Jackson) played together, if we're going to go with a two. One to hold up, the other to feed off.

I don't think Cook is going to go with a two, is he? Not unless the system he played yesterday clicks so well that it convinces him.

My point is not so much that the other 3 are better prospects than Drinan as much as they are as good cover as he is. If Folami and Morris are clearly not up to it, they should be released and that then gives the potential for someone younger to be the one who might get the odd bit of game time coming off the bench instead. The point is that all 3 of those players will only ever get the chance if there are not other players blocking their progress. Maybe if Folami had been filling in here when Drinan has been instead, he would be a better player by now.

Drinan. on 11:53 - Apr 3 with 2277 viewsjayessess

Drinan. on 11:49 - Apr 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

I don't think Cook is going to go with a two, is he? Not unless the system he played yesterday clicks so well that it convinces him.

My point is not so much that the other 3 are better prospects than Drinan as much as they are as good cover as he is. If Folami and Morris are clearly not up to it, they should be released and that then gives the potential for someone younger to be the one who might get the odd bit of game time coming off the bench instead. The point is that all 3 of those players will only ever get the chance if there are not other players blocking their progress. Maybe if Folami had been filling in here when Drinan has been instead, he would be a better player by now.

Yeah, PC's already stated a preference for a much smaller first team squad. If he keeps Drinan, then that'll be 3 strikers before he's even glanced at possible new recruits.

Drinan. on 11:53 - Apr 3 with 2279 viewsHerbivore

We should let him go. He's on an age where he needs to be playing regularly and he's not good enough to play regularly here at this level. I think probably National League is about right and he might do well there and get himself a deal at a league side down the line, but he's not good enough for League 1 currently and I don't see his ceiling being anything higher than this level.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Drinan. on 11:58 - Apr 3 with 2261 viewsGuthrum

Drinan. on 11:49 - Apr 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

Turning that around, he is as good cover as they are - and is more ready now.

Drinan. on 12:01 - Apr 3 with 2252 viewschrismakin

If you didn't have a squad size issue, drinan is one of those subs you'd be happy to have to throw on with 10 to go to be a nuisance, you can't really expect anything more from him other than alot of running.

But to have someone like him, you've got to take away a sub space for someone who could do more than just run around and be a nuisance.

He'd be a good signing for an AFC Wimbledon, Rochdale type side, but not one who has hopes of pushing for a promotion place

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Drinan. on 12:02 - Apr 3 with 2244 viewsDubtractor

Drinan. on 12:01 - Apr 3 by chrismakin

If you didn't have a squad size issue, drinan is one of those subs you'd be happy to have to throw on with 10 to go to be a nuisance, you can't really expect anything more from him other than alot of running.

But to have someone like him, you've got to take away a sub space for someone who could do more than just run around and be a nuisance.

He'd be a good signing for an AFC Wimbledon, Rochdale type side, but not one who has hopes of pushing for a promotion place

See, a more balanced post on the subject wasn't too hard was it?

I agree with all of that.

Drinan. on 12:03 - Apr 3 with 2241 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Drinan. on 11:58 - Apr 3 by Guthrum

Turning that around, he is as good cover as they are - and is more ready now.

So you keep Drinan as cover and release the other 3 instead.

Is Drinan happy on Simpson's wages? Will Drinan be a Championship level player when we get there?

I think it is a no-brainer to release Drinan. The question is whether the younger ones are worth keeping. If they are not, we need to get in players of Simpson's age who are better than Simpson and have the potential to make it at the Championship level.

Drinan. on 12:35 - Apr 3 with 2186 viewsGuthrum

Drinan. on 12:03 - Apr 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

So you keep Drinan as cover and release the other 3 instead.

Is Drinan happy on Simpson's wages? Will Drinan be a Championship level player when we get there?

I think it is a no-brainer to release Drinan. The question is whether the younger ones are worth keeping. If they are not, we need to get in players of Simpson's age who are better than Simpson and have the potential to make it at the Championship level.

The problem we've got - that we've had for some time - is to attract those players. That's pretty much what we wre trying to do with Drinan. It hasn't entirely worked out and often doesn't, or requires another couple of stages (as with Moore).

In the absence of further investment, we once again aren't going to have the funds to buy them in unless (like Mings) they are really undiscovered gems.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024