Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem 16:56 - Apr 17 with 4349 viewswhymark4lazio0

Cook has mentioned it. Gary Roberts has mentioned it. It's probably why we can only play well for half a match (apparently we were excellent for the first 20 minutes today). It's probably why we have had so many injuries. What I find difficult to understand is how everybody at the club (owner, directors, manager, coaches AND players) allowed lack of fitness to become a problem. Surely the ability to run hard for a whole match 2 or 3 times per week should be a fundamental, an absolute basic.

It does explain a lot, if a player feels he cannot last a whole match it will impact his confidence and lead him to hide and to take 'breathers'. A team of players that are at peak fitness and have a little talent will always be confident of giving any team a match.

Now that Cook and Roberts have identified fitness as an issue, I'm not sure what can be done this season but it does mean the whole squad should be on notice to keep themselves fit over the summer break and to expect the most demanding pre-season training they've ever experienced.

Poll: Should these Polls show number of votes as well as percentages?

Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 17:06 - Apr 17 with 3524 viewsgtsb1966

At 2am on a Sunday morning I would stagger out of the local nightclub ( yes you youngsters, clubs really did close then) and go and get the worst boiled burger you could have. Home and in bed by 3am ( unless I got lucky).... so home and in bed by 3am and up at 8.30am to play Sunday football. Smoked 20 fags that night and a couple before the game and at half time yet still played ok nearly every week. Of course it was a different standard but we're talking about different standards of footballers here too. The fitness thing at our club is a shocking revelation of how poorly this club has been run.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2021 17:07]
Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 17:10 - Apr 17 with 3478 viewsjeera

Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 17:06 - Apr 17 by gtsb1966

At 2am on a Sunday morning I would stagger out of the local nightclub ( yes you youngsters, clubs really did close then) and go and get the worst boiled burger you could have. Home and in bed by 3am ( unless I got lucky).... so home and in bed by 3am and up at 8.30am to play Sunday football. Smoked 20 fags that night and a couple before the game and at half time yet still played ok nearly every week. Of course it was a different standard but we're talking about different standards of footballers here too. The fitness thing at our club is a shocking revelation of how poorly this club has been run.

What you seem to be suggesting is boiled burgers, late nights and a morning build up to the game chain smoking cigarettes.

They could give a go I suppose.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

[Redacted] on 17:10 - Apr 17 with 3474 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 17:11 - Apr 17 with 3454 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

That's James Norwoods routine.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 17:23 - Apr 17 with 3391 viewsChurchman

I’m always a bit suspicious when a new manager come in and moans about player fitness. A lot of new managers do it. However, that the team has had an inability to play more than about 45 decent minutes on a good day suggests there may be a fitness problem. Either that or it’s a case of putting two and two together and getting ten. The number of injuries makes me wonder too.

If there is anything in this, it’s a disgrace. It’s one thing having a team of rubbish players, but fitness should be an absolute basic. Actually 100% commitment should be a basic too and there are doubts about that. There’s so much to sort out.

An off-season and preseason reset is desperately required, regardless of who stays and goes. There should be no excuses on that score come August.
Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 17:26 - Apr 17 with 3337 viewsgtsb1966

Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 17:10 - Apr 17 by jeera

What you seem to be suggesting is boiled burgers, late nights and a morning build up to the game chain smoking cigarettes.

They could give a go I suppose.

I don't smoke and I don't eat beef either now. Perhaps that's why I feel my age. Still drink as much though
[Redacted] on 17:29 - Apr 17 with 3311 viewsvictorywilhappen

Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 17:11 - Apr 17 by Marshalls_Mullet

That's James Norwoods routine.

[Redacted]
Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 17:33 - Apr 17 with 3294 viewsblaggers

Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 17:23 - Apr 17 by Churchman

I’m always a bit suspicious when a new manager come in and moans about player fitness. A lot of new managers do it. However, that the team has had an inability to play more than about 45 decent minutes on a good day suggests there may be a fitness problem. Either that or it’s a case of putting two and two together and getting ten. The number of injuries makes me wonder too.

If there is anything in this, it’s a disgrace. It’s one thing having a team of rubbish players, but fitness should be an absolute basic. Actually 100% commitment should be a basic too and there are doubts about that. There’s so much to sort out.

An off-season and preseason reset is desperately required, regardless of who stays and goes. There should be no excuses on that score come August.

You've just got to look at the dreadful injury record at this club over the last few years. Bishop, KVY, Norwood, Wilson, Nolan, Skuse, etc out for prolonged periods of time, fans have been questioning it all season.

Poll: What happens next?

Login to get fewer ads

Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 17:42 - Apr 17 with 3229 viewsBlueBadger

Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 17:33 - Apr 17 by blaggers

You've just got to look at the dreadful injury record at this club over the last few years. Bishop, KVY, Norwood, Wilson, Nolan, Skuse, etc out for prolonged periods of time, fans have been questioning it all season.

It think on the medical side of things, it's being going on even longer than that - look at how often players back from injury broke down under Mick.
Long term injuries to key players under Jewell. It's not a new thing.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 18:26 - Apr 17 with 3083 viewsRegencyBlue

Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 17:42 - Apr 17 by BlueBadger

It think on the medical side of things, it's being going on even longer than that - look at how often players back from injury broke down under Mick.
Long term injuries to key players under Jewell. It's not a new thing.

I think the medical side at the club took the same level of financial cuts as the other departments behind the scenes.

Something else to thank Evans for!
Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 19:09 - Apr 17 with 2944 viewsBlueForYou

I've been questioning this for many years, but it's slowly got worse.......
[Post edited 17 Apr 2021 21:37]
Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 19:14 - Apr 17 with 2914 viewsBLUEBEAT

Pretty sure last season it was reported that we had the fittest squad in the league????

Pretty sure the stats were athletically based too

Poll: W or W

Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 21:31 - Apr 17 with 2602 viewsRjackson65324

[Redacted] on 17:10 - Apr 17 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Funnily enough I was one of the guys that took them through that stuff, from what I saw back then to what I’ve seen the last few seasons, I don’t think this squad would last.
Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 22:14 - Apr 17 with 2527 viewsBluesky

American sports have fitness down to a fine art. Our new benefactors will be on this like a shot and do something about it.
[Redacted] on 22:51 - Apr 17 with 2429 viewsvictorywilhappen

Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 21:31 - Apr 17 by Rjackson65324

Funnily enough I was one of the guys that took them through that stuff, from what I saw back then to what I’ve seen the last few seasons, I don’t think this squad would last.

[Redacted]
Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 23:15 - Apr 17 with 2354 viewsRjackson65324

[Redacted] on 22:51 - Apr 17 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Most of what they did is open source I believe, tbh I think the media made it into more than what it was, I believe the concept what Roy Keane was trying to achieve was team cohesion through struggle. It defo wasn’t anything the players couldn’t handle, I think it was more the shock of capture for a lot of the guys. However I think it was a good idea overall.

Most of the time I was getting autographs 😂

I would actually like to have the players back and do it again, something super easy to set up. I remember we sent our football team to train at Playford Road, we had a pretty good 2 way with the club. Which has dwindled in recent years.
Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 23:38 - Apr 17 with 2305 viewsBonchosBicycle

Didn't Hurst also identify fitness as an issue? Wanted us to be so fit we outlasted other teams? Double gym sessions?
Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 00:23 - Apr 18 with 2252 viewsquirkie

Is that you Mr Brazil?

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 01:36 - Apr 18 with 2201 viewsTieDyedIn95

People say that but the other sides in this league are hardly Olympic athletes are they? Most games over the last 2 years have hardly been shining examples of the best physical condition in football. The division is awful, anyone above slightly average should do alright in this league, which is why we're bang in the middle because that's our ability. We've hardly been run off the park week in and out, in fact in recent weeks most games have been akin to walking football, aside from Wimbledon who actually played like they wanted to win the game, a rarity in this league.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

[Redacted] on 07:55 - Apr 18 with 2019 viewsvictorywilhappen

Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 23:15 - Apr 17 by Rjackson65324

Most of what they did is open source I believe, tbh I think the media made it into more than what it was, I believe the concept what Roy Keane was trying to achieve was team cohesion through struggle. It defo wasn’t anything the players couldn’t handle, I think it was more the shock of capture for a lot of the guys. However I think it was a good idea overall.

Most of the time I was getting autographs 😂

I would actually like to have the players back and do it again, something super easy to set up. I remember we sent our football team to train at Playford Road, we had a pretty good 2 way with the club. Which has dwindled in recent years.

[Redacted]
Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 08:12 - Apr 18 with 1992 viewsbobbyramsey

Brings a whole new meaning to this song:

You're not fit to wear the shirt, you're not fit to.................etc etc.
Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 08:31 - Apr 18 with 1945 viewsChurchman

[Redacted] on 07:55 - Apr 18 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

I understand what you say about players and the right discipline and don’t disagree. However, I think the players have to want to do it. These people are adults and have to have within them that internal desire to be the best they can be.

Part of that discipline has to be with the club to set standards and employ only players who have the right character and are willing to meet those standards. I get that when you are scraping about under the barrel as we have been for years there’s a temptation to ignore a player’s issues if they are talented and cheap or free, but it nearly always ends badly. You can’t change what a person essentially is.
[Redacted] on 09:16 - Apr 18 with 1861 viewsvictorywilhappen

Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 08:31 - Apr 18 by Churchman

I understand what you say about players and the right discipline and don’t disagree. However, I think the players have to want to do it. These people are adults and have to have within them that internal desire to be the best they can be.

Part of that discipline has to be with the club to set standards and employ only players who have the right character and are willing to meet those standards. I get that when you are scraping about under the barrel as we have been for years there’s a temptation to ignore a player’s issues if they are talented and cheap or free, but it nearly always ends badly. You can’t change what a person essentially is.

[Redacted]
Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 09:24 - Apr 18 with 1834 viewsjayessess

Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 01:36 - Apr 18 by TieDyedIn95

People say that but the other sides in this league are hardly Olympic athletes are they? Most games over the last 2 years have hardly been shining examples of the best physical condition in football. The division is awful, anyone above slightly average should do alright in this league, which is why we're bang in the middle because that's our ability. We've hardly been run off the park week in and out, in fact in recent weeks most games have been akin to walking football, aside from Wimbledon who actually played like they wanted to win the game, a rarity in this league.

Think this view of lower league football is a bit out of date. Every club in L1 is comprised of full-time professional athletes, mostly at their peak athletic ages. We play a lot of teams who are physically strong and fit, even if they aren't the greatest technically.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Lack of fitness is a big part of the problem on 09:34 - Apr 18 with 1797 viewsRadlett_blue

Didn't we say the same thing when Paul Hurst came in? Better fitness, high press etc?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024