Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pup update - Q within 10:00 - May 10 with 1098 viewsartsbossbeard

I know you're all interested.

She's settled in well and one cat loves her, the other tolerates her. Cool.

Right, she's 10wks old cockerpoo and an absolute biting machine with myself and Mrs Beard (although not so much with Beard Jnr). What's the best way to get her to cut down/stop completely?

1st time dog owners, long term cat feeders.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Pup update - Q within on 10:04 - May 10 with 1062 viewsKeno

Nice one!!

At 10 weeks the teeth are lethal.

I gave mine very large carrots to chew on another trick to get a rubbery dog chew and leave in the fridge for a bit to get really cold as that helps as well

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Pup update - Q within on 10:07 - May 10 with 1054 viewsLord_Lucan

Tap the bloody thing on the nose and get heavier with the tap every time.

You need to correct the blooming thing.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Pup update - Q within on 10:09 - May 10 with 1045 viewsBluefish

You need to teach them it hurts. Say ow loudly and then stop playing. My cockapoo was terrible for biting skirts boards and anything else, Vicks vapourub was the saviour for that. They calm down at about 3, get into a training class ASAP that will help lots. Mine has her moments still but we can walk miles off the lead and she was good as gold in the pub garden yesterday

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Pup update - Q within on 10:13 - May 10 with 1037 viewsfactual_blue

Pup update - Q within on 10:04 - May 10 by Keno

Nice one!!

At 10 weeks the teeth are lethal.

I gave mine very large carrots to chew on another trick to get a rubbery dog chew and leave in the fridge for a bit to get really cold as that helps as well

Giving your dog your 'very large carrot to chew', as you describe it, is a criminal offence.

And, let's be honest, it's one of those baby carrots they sell in Waitrose, isn't it?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Pup update - Q within on 10:15 - May 10 with 1031 viewsfooters

Pup update - Q within on 10:13 - May 10 by factual_blue

Giving your dog your 'very large carrot to chew', as you describe it, is a criminal offence.

And, let's be honest, it's one of those baby carrots they sell in Waitrose, isn't it?

Read the thread properly. He hasn't got an actual dog, he's got a cockapoo.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Pup update - Q within on 10:15 - May 10 with 1030 viewsKungfuBlue

I have 2 cocker Spaniels, 1 just 8 months old so have been through the biting stage fairly recently.

The reality is there really isnt massive amounts you can do other than:

1) diverting their attention from your arm or whereever else they are biting by using somethign you deem to be acceptable to chew. We had a rubber toy that we each kept close so when she started to chew we used that for her to play with and stop eating us.

2) When it does bite you, loudly shout no and turn you back on them immediately. They will quickly associate their actions with that response and stop. This worked with our first Cocker, not ourt second but worth a try.

3) At around 12 weeks their adult teet start to show, I'd recommend getting friendly with a local butchers (we use RJ Smith in Needham Market) whenever you go down to get your meats get some bones for the dogs, small beef or lamb rib bones are best, avoid large hip joint bones, they are too big. Dogs use chewing as a way to de stress it also helps with boredom and will help with the new teeth coming through. My dogs wait at my garden gate every sat morning for me to return with the bag of bones. Also boredom in puppies is a big thing, it can lead to some of the destructive behaviours you may have seen or been warend about like chewing furniture, skirting boards etc. Bones are a great way of helping stop that. PLEASE ENSURE THEIR ADULT TEETH ARE THROUGH FIRST THOUGH.

4) Games & activities. A puppy bites, mainly becuase they dont know any better, if you can channel their enthusiam, energy / excitement into games then that realyl helps too. We get a high value treat (piece of cooked chicked breats, ham etc) we let them smell we have it, then we go into a room without them, shut the door and hide bits of the meat around the room. We then let them in and aks they "go find it" this is basically called scent work and really stretches the dogs mental energies, the net result, happy contented dog, not bored and you will be amazed at homw tired they get if they are havign to really use their noses.

Just to qualify my points above, I am by no means an expert, I have 20 years of keeping dogs and have learnt by my mistakes. These are things that worked for me but likely
there are 100's of other ideas and tricks you can try.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.
[Post edited 10 May 2021 10:17]
Pup update - Q within on 10:35 - May 10 with 963 viewsfactual_blue

Pup update - Q within on 10:15 - May 10 by footers

Read the thread properly. He hasn't got an actual dog, he's got a cockapoo.

It's a cock or it's poo? And he can't tell the difference?

Mother of God.

Pup update - Q within on 10:38 - May 10 with 957 viewsfooters

Pup update - Q within on 10:35 - May 10 by factual_blue

It's a cock or it's poo? And he can't tell the difference?

Mother of God.

If you have a sandwich bag, a freezer and a little imagination, you can make one out of other. Or so I am told.

But use it quickly before it melts.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Pup update - Q within on 10:40 - May 10 with 940 viewsEwan_Oozami

Agree with everyone on this thread - our Yellow Lab is 8 months, and as previously mentioned, has the energy of a Tasmanian Devil, will eat absolutely anything and is not afraid to throw it up in front of you and start eating it again.

When biting, we used frozen carrots and golf balls to distract her, also discouraged her from jumping up from an early age.

We go to a guy in Woodbridge for dog training, he's very good as we took her there early doors and now I can let her off the lead in enclosed fields and she'll return when called..

Her latest trick is, as soon as the door to upstairs is open, unless Mrs O or I can stop her, she'll sprint upstairs and start eating the poo out of the cat's litter tray - ie, the cat which has barely been downstairs for weeks; our other cat is enormous, has a swipe like Mike Tyson, and basically terrifies the dog.

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Pup update - Q within on 10:41 - May 10 with 922 viewsfactual_blue

Pup update - Q within on 10:38 - May 10 by footers

If you have a sandwich bag, a freezer and a little imagination, you can make one out of other. Or so I am told.

But use it quickly before it melts.

A cockapoo can melt?

At what temperature?

[Redacted] on 11:02 - May 10 with 879 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Pup update - Q within on 11:11 - May 10 with 853 viewsBluefish

Next top tip. Don't get into the routine of having them on you lap while you work, she now expects to be there everyday all day long

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Pup update - Q within on 11:15 - May 10 with 834 viewsKeno

Pup update - Q within on 11:11 - May 10 by Bluefish

Next top tip. Don't get into the routine of having them on you lap while you work, she now expects to be there everyday all day long

I think the comments about Chico his pimping are on another thread

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Pup update - Q within on 13:42 - May 10 with 718 viewsRyorry

Am with Bluefish here - pups love the people they own, & if you squeal when they playbite you, they'll be shocked that they could hurt you with such contact, apologise by looking at you with huge eyes full of sorrow & remorse, and rapidly stop doing it.

Endorsed by well-known dog-behaviourist Dr. Roger Mugford, & is certainly the fastest & kindest way I've found in 25 years of being owned by dogs.

Caution needed if feeding bones - they can damage teeth, and the marrow can be a bit rich for some dogs.
[Post edited 10 May 2021 13:45]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Pup update - Q within on 14:21 - May 10 with 650 viewsjeera

Not too sure about some suggestions but I'd go with simple animal hide chews: the chunky 'bone' shape type, not flimsy strips.

Hard enough for the dog to go to work on but enough 'give' for them to not hurt themselves.

Can't go too wrong with those sort of chews really.

I'd keep anything that the thing might choke on/splinter well away.

*Edited for some clarity.
[Post edited 10 May 2021 14:30]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Pup update - Q within on 15:21 - May 10 with 591 viewsRyorry

Just to endorse the splintering etc warning - those "filled bones" of various flavours, incl smoked, that you can buy from petshops or online, splinter *very* easily - have tried various makes & it's happened with all.

There've been various warnings about rawhide too, incl gut blockages when heavy chewers bite off chunks (it's only supposed to be chewed, not ingested) & possible toxicity from chemical treatments used in processing -

https://www.greenmatters.com/p/is-rawhide-bad-for-dogs

Plenty of alternative long lasting semi-soft chews around, as Jeera says.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024