Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) 16:30 - May 20 with 2594 viewsKeno

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 17:03 - May 20 with 2553 viewsMetal_Hacker

Top bloke too . His wife used to work at Debenhams back in the day. One Sunday when my parents ran the General Gordon on Cox Lane ,Steve and Julie I seems to recall was her name came for Sunday lunch upstairs above the pub with us . Think I would've been 12/13 at the time.Used that story for years afterwards at school

Top bloke and underrated player

Poll: If it were one or the other

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 17:24 - May 20 with 2521 viewsBluespeed225

He was, did nothing wrong, had to come in for Burley, play defence or midfield when the injuries started to mount up, and held his own in THAT team. He was the perfect utility sub in the days of one on the bench, but was propelled into the first team in the January, meaning we were then using O'Callaghan as sub, who was ok in his position, then by Easter we were onto Steggles, Parkin, Turner?, while ok squad players, were never going to be up to international standard, which is what 10 of our players were. Gates going off after 10 minutes against Arsenal, with an injured King Frans and a sling wearing Beattie watching on the bench, to be replaced by Parkin still haunts me.
Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 17:26 - May 20 with 2516 viewsgainsboroughblue

Certainly was. He played 40 odd games out of the 66 which was among if not in the top ten of appearances that season. Midfield/Left back, played wherever needed filling because of injury and just got on with it. A belting goal at Coventry too. I think he played in Warky's shirt that day. I think he played left back from the point of Burley's injury.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 17:33 - May 20 with 2507 viewsVic

Got to confess that I never really warmed to him. Maybe it was the way he ran compared to the thoroughbreds round him I don’t know, but I never really rated him. I think all the others had good careers after leaving town, but his just went gently down he left us - Sheff Weds and then Plymouth iirc. Decent and didn’t let the team down, but not an unsung hero in my book. Sorry!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 17:34 - May 20 with 2498 viewsBryanPlug

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 17:03 - May 20 by Metal_Hacker

Top bloke too . His wife used to work at Debenhams back in the day. One Sunday when my parents ran the General Gordon on Cox Lane ,Steve and Julie I seems to recall was her name came for Sunday lunch upstairs above the pub with us . Think I would've been 12/13 at the time.Used that story for years afterwards at school

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 17:38 - May 20 with 2481 viewsblueblood66

People forget we lost Burley to a broken leg at Shrewsbury in the FA cup in January, and Steve slotted in perfectly.
[Post edited 20 May 2021 17:39]
Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 18:05 - May 20 with 2415 viewsRadlett_blue

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 17:38 - May 20 by blueblood66

People forget we lost Burley to a broken leg at Shrewsbury in the FA cup in January, and Steve slotted in perfectly.

I believe GB injured his knee at Shrewsbury, rather than broke a leg.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 18:48 - May 20 with 2369 viewsOldboy

He was the most important part of the jigsaw. Without him, the others wouldn't have been able to do their best. Proper player.
Login to get fewer ads

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 18:59 - May 20 with 2341 viewsgtsb1966

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 17:34 - May 20 by BryanPlug

I read somewhere that at the peak of his career Beattie was on £360 a week. What that would to equate to in todays money i don't know.
Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 19:19 - May 20 with 2304 viewsOldboy

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 18:59 - May 20 by gtsb1966

I read somewhere that at the peak of his career Beattie was on £360 a week. What that would to equate to in todays money i don't know.

About £360 PW.
Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 19:21 - May 20 with 2299 views66notout

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 17:33 - May 20 by Vic

Got to confess that I never really warmed to him. Maybe it was the way he ran compared to the thoroughbreds round him I don’t know, but I never really rated him. I think all the others had good careers after leaving town, but his just went gently down he left us - Sheff Weds and then Plymouth iirc. Decent and didn’t let the team down, but not an unsung hero in my book. Sorry!

Each to their own, as they say, but do you really think someone who played so regularly in the Town team during their greatest-ever season warrants being labelled an also-ran? Have some respect!
Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 22:46 - May 20 with 2165 viewsnorfsufblue

Was the only real quality back up player we had and there lies the reason we did not achieve a deserved treble!... we simply ran out of quality players... I've just noted that on both legs of the final we used NO subs.... we just had to get through we the great players we had left
Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 22:55 - May 20 with 2157 viewsLord_Lucan

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 17:03 - May 20 by Metal_Hacker

I was peddling down at the Dartmouth Regatta years ago and he bought one of my puppets.

Nice bloke and very well turned out.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 23:10 - May 20 with 2136 viewsLord_Lucan

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 22:46 - May 20 by norfsufblue

Was the only real quality back up player we had and there lies the reason we did not achieve a deserved treble!... we simply ran out of quality players... I've just noted that on both legs of the final we used NO subs.... we just had to get through we the great players we had left

I bumped into Tommy Parkin about 10 years ago in The Fat Cat. We talked about football and he advised me he was on the subs bench in Amsterdam. I had either forgot or not realised.

Tommy had just finished work that night and popped in for a pint, he was / possibly still is making his way as a painter and decorator.

Gotta tell ya, if I were him I would be livid at the way things are today.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 08:52 - May 21 with 1977 viewsElephantintheRoom

No - not really. All good Town teams have had their support players. McGarry's team needed Eddie Spearrit and Chris Barnard and Bobbt Hunt. Robson had the likes of Robin Turner to fall back on. and eventually - Steve McCall - in between there were a number of good (but not good enough) youngsters coming through. Keith Bertschin and David Geddes, John Peddelty sprint to mind.

Steve McCall was the equivalent of Sammy Lee at Liverpool or Roger Osborne in an earlier Town team. It was the beginning of an era where the fountain of youth was beginning to dry up. Irving Gernon to replace Mick Mills? Why not, he was young. Meanwhile Mills went off to Suthampton to play for a team that finished above Town. And Town went into a decline that is still going on to this day. Maybe it is all Steve McCall's fault!

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 08:57 - May 21 with 1966 viewsBryanPlug

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 18:59 - May 20 by gtsb1966

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 09:08 - May 21 with 1943 viewsChurchman

I thought losing Burley was a key reason we didn’t win the league. The team felt more balanced with him in it. But the results don’t really bear that out. McCall was a very good player and he did the team proud.

We just ran out of players and energy with all the games.
Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 10:15 - May 21 with 1878 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 17:38 - May 20 by blueblood66

Was an ACL injury. Burley was one of the first, if not the first, to make it back to top level football after suffering such an injury.

As for McCall, he was a good, solid player and while not as good a footballer as Burley, the team looked no weaker with him in it. Had a great career, take a look at the amount of games he played, England U21 International as well.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 10:20 - May 21 with 1851 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 08:57 - May 21 by BryanPlug

Yes, 78k a year today. A good wage in anyone's book. Football would be much better off if a similar wage structure was in place today.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 10:24 - May 21 with 1839 viewsRadlett_blue

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 10:20 - May 21 by The_Last_Baron

Yes, 78k a year today. A good wage in anyone's book. Football would be much better off if a similar wage structure was in place today.

Yes, but football has become a hugely popular TV sport & to put the clock back, you would have to restrict severely the number of games shown on live TV (which would be challenged in the courts). If you restricted footballers' salaries, the profits from the game would flow through to the owners & again this would be challenged as an unlawful restraint of trade.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 12:28 - May 21 with 1753 viewsBryanPlug

Steve McCall - Unsung hero of the 1981 team? (n/t) on 10:24 - May 21 by Radlett_blue

Yes, but football has become a hugely popular TV sport & to put the clock back, you would have to restrict severely the number of games shown on live TV (which would be challenged in the courts). If you restricted footballers' salaries, the profits from the game would flow through to the owners & again this would be challenged as an unlawful restraint of trade.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024