Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Naomi Osaka... 19:09 - May 31 with 2041 viewsAce_High1

has withdrawn from the French Open after being threatened with being banned if she did not drop her post match press boycott.

Surely she will be reinstated, as regardless of her boycott to let the best player in the Women's game withdraw seems a very bold move?
Naomi Osaka... on 19:12 - May 31 with 2005 viewsKropotkin123

Yeah, going to be an interesting one to watch unfold for the future of how these thing are done.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Naomi Osaka... on 19:30 - May 31 with 1932 viewsStokieBlue

I was listening to a number of ex players on the radio and they think she's in the wrong with this and that she should be voicing what her concerns are and how to fix them (which she hasn't done) rather than taking this course of action.

None of them liked doing interviews but the money she wins in tournaments partly comes from media sponsorship and from media access so they said she can't have it both ways.

This isn't the French Open on their own, Wimbledon, the US Open and the Aussie Open said they would also ban her if she persisted. All four grandslams issued a joint statement yesterday which is very unusual.

SB
[Post edited 31 May 2021 19:31]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Naomi Osaka... on 20:53 - May 31 with 1742 viewsBlueForYou

Does she want equal prize money too..?? Way too precious for me. You don’t get to win a grand slam being mentally weak. The interviews can be quite intrusive at times, but really, it's a grand slam event, fans & kids watching, & it’s the peak of the game. Don’t think she is getting the best back up here. Some of the greats need to have a quiet word.
[Post edited 31 May 2021 21:09]
Naomi Osaka... on 20:59 - May 31 with 1716 viewsStenvict

Even when she wins, her post match interviews are draining.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Naomi Osaka... on 22:16 - May 31 with 1609 viewsChrisd

When you read what she’s posted on social media it all makes sense. It highlights more how the tennis authorities are so backward thinking and stuck in the past. Good luck to her, if this is how she feels at the moment, she has made the right decision to walk away and get the help she needs. She’ll be a huge loss for the game in her absence.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Naomi Osaka... on 22:49 - May 31 with 1555 viewsstonojnr

Naomi Osaka... on 22:16 - May 31 by Chrisd

When you read what she’s posted on social media it all makes sense. It highlights more how the tennis authorities are so backward thinking and stuck in the past. Good luck to her, if this is how she feels at the moment, she has made the right decision to walk away and get the help she needs. She’ll be a huge loss for the game in her absence.

why are they so back ward thinking ? I mean we live in a world now where in sports like cricket in Australia interviews are conducted mid game, not just post game, the bowler will be bowling,batters hitting the ball and players in the field are mic'd up and will be expected to talk when a commentator chirps in their ear, or in test matches theyve even had their spider cam drop down during a drinks break and conducted a pitchside interview. team bosses in F1 get interviewed mid race, touring car drivers interviewed mid race at least when they are under safety cars, but even Sir Bobby was famously interviewed mid match.

a media interview obligation post match is just part and parcel of sport, and I wont even say modern sport because its been around for so long now, for a professional athlete interviews are just part of professional sport, its how tournaments/sport generates the coverage which convinces sponsors to pony up the money they pay you for taking part and winning

so whilst I thought she was treated shockingly by the fans as much as the media at the US Open when she won, and I dont doubt that creates anxiety & stress in similar situations and she doesnt like doing it, but unfortunately speaking to the media is something thats expected of her in the sport she is involved in,and that isnt going to change just for her, so her management team have to come up with a way to get her through that, just as they would an issue in technique how she served, or hit the ball.
Naomi Osaka... on 23:03 - May 31 with 1536 viewsvapour_trail

Naomi Osaka... on 20:53 - May 31 by BlueForYou

Does she want equal prize money too..?? Way too precious for me. You don’t get to win a grand slam being mentally weak. The interviews can be quite intrusive at times, but really, it's a grand slam event, fans & kids watching, & it’s the peak of the game. Don’t think she is getting the best back up here. Some of the greats need to have a quiet word.
[Post edited 31 May 2021 21:09]

The responses on this thread are pretty fcking appalling actually.

I suspect she will improve outcomes for her fellow athletes on the back of this. A bunch of fck wits on a provincial football teams message board can continue to dig her out but it’s unlikely she’ll notice.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Naomi Osaka... on 02:12 - Jun 1 with 1462 viewsSpruceMoose

Naomi Osaka... on 23:03 - May 31 by vapour_trail

I suspect she will improve outcomes for her fellow athletes on the back of this. A bunch of fck wits on a provincial football teams message board can continue to dig her out but it’s unlikely she’ll notice.

"A bunch of fck wits on a provincial football teams message board can continue to dig her out but it's unlikely she will notice"

Agreed. It's not just her though, is it? We have a select band of posters on here who always, always, come down on the shocking side of the argument when it comes to treatment of other people.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

Naomi Osaka... on 02:28 - Jun 1 with 1450 viewsBarneycurley

I agree, I think once people here thsts she's taking time away from the game and her reasoning they'll understand a lot better.

Id also fully expect the WTA to support her now also.

There's often background behind someone doing something that she's done - she's never come across as the petulant child.

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Naomi Osaka... on 08:49 - Jun 1 with 1275 viewsStokieBlue

Could you tell me what was wrong with my response? It was all factual at the time of writing (which was before her statement) and was the view of all the players I had heard on the radio and in the context of her sister last week saying she didn't like criticism of her ability on different surfaces.

Given the latest statement from Osaka things have obviously moved on and she needs to get the help that will allow her to live her life and the tour needs to have a debate about what is the right way to approach media commitments which are still going to be needed going forward.

SB
[Post edited 1 Jun 2021 8:49]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Naomi Osaka... on 11:00 - Jun 1 with 1197 viewsBlueForYou

Doesn't seem there's a lot of sympathy out there in the Tennis world.
Naomi Osaka... on 11:05 - Jun 1 with 1182 viewsnoggin

I don't know the full story, but forcing someone to do something that is having a negative effect on their mental health will never end well.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Naomi Osaka... on 11:31 - Jun 1 with 1126 viewsshefki86

I’m sorry but not a great deal of sympathy from me. Sure she has no issues with receiving her match fees/winnings/sponsorship payments....It’s all part of the job I’m afraid as a professional athlete. And using the mental health card to try to justify not giving an interview it is quite frankly offensive to anyone with real problems!

Poll: How do we all see it after today?

Naomi Osaka... on 11:43 - Jun 1 with 1090 viewsEireannach_gorm

Naomi Osaka... on 11:31 - Jun 1 by shefki86

I’m sorry but not a great deal of sympathy from me. Sure she has no issues with receiving her match fees/winnings/sponsorship payments....It’s all part of the job I’m afraid as a professional athlete. And using the mental health card to try to justify not giving an interview it is quite frankly offensive to anyone with real problems!

Yourself and Piers seem to have something in common.

Naomi Osaka... on 11:56 - Jun 1 with 1054 viewsnoggin

Naomi Osaka... on 11:31 - Jun 1 by shefki86

Are you saying her mental health problems aren't real? How do you know this?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Naomi Osaka... on 13:09 - Jun 1 with 964 viewsChrisd

Naomi Osaka... on 11:43 - Jun 1 by Eireannach_gorm

Yourself and Piers seem to have something in common.

What's strange is Morgan can't see the irony in his own comment. A complete buffoon of a human being!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Naomi Osaka... on 13:10 - Jun 1 with 961 viewsitfcjoe

Naomi Osaka... on 19:30 - May 31 by StokieBlue

I was listening to a number of ex players on the radio and they think she's in the wrong with this and that she should be voicing what her concerns are and how to fix them (which she hasn't done) rather than taking this course of action.

None of them liked doing interviews but the money she wins in tournaments partly comes from media sponsorship and from media access so they said she can't have it both ways.

This isn't the French Open on their own, Wimbledon, the US Open and the Aussie Open said they would also ban her if she persisted. All four grandslams issued a joint statement yesterday which is very unusual.

SB
[Post edited 31 May 2021 19:31]

This piece from Jonathan Liew is well worth a read on it, good point that with social media, the top players no longer need the conduit of the written press to speak to their fans, amongst many other salient points

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/may/31/were-not-the-good-guys-osaka-

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024