Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy 14:14 - Jun 16 with 1611 viewsSuperblue95

I thought I was meant to be watching Finland vs Russia?

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:16 - Jun 16 with 1410 viewsTractorCam

Mario Fernandes always wanted to represent Russia as a young lad.

Is it true? You decide.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:18 - Jun 16 with 1387 viewsDubtractor

Players taking new nationalities annoys me. Renders International football pointless.

Fair enough to go back to grand parents, but a Brazilian living in eg Japan for 5 years isn't Japanese.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:21 - Jun 16 with 1358 viewsclive_baker

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:18 - Jun 16 by Dubtractor

Players taking new nationalities annoys me. Renders International football pointless.

Fair enough to go back to grand parents, but a Brazilian living in eg Japan for 5 years isn't Japanese.

Yeah I'm not on board with qualifying through residency. All for residency and permits to work, so appreciate it's a grey area, but with something like international sport and representing your country I don't quite get it. Wasn't Almunia eligible for England at one stage? Having never played for Spain and been at Arsenal for 5 years. Bit weird.

To be fair to Kamara and O’Shaughnessy they are both firmly Finnish, born and raised there.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:22 - Jun 16 with 1349 viewsSnedders

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:22 - Jun 16 with 1342 viewsblu_dru

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:18 - Jun 16 by Dubtractor

To be fair Daniel O’Shaughnessy was born and raised in Finland but i get your point
Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:23 - Jun 16 with 1335 viewsKieran_Knows

Have you seen the Chinese national team recently? Have about 5 Brazilians which now play for them as well as Ty Browning (once of Everton) ... he now plays out there, but is eligible due to a Chinese Grandfather. Has had to change his name as well.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:24 - Jun 16 with 1326 viewschrismakin

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:21 - Jun 16 by clive_baker

Yeah I'm not on board with qualifying through residency. All for residency and permits to work, so appreciate it's a grey area, but with something like international sport and representing your country I don't quite get it. Wasn't Almunia eligible for England at one stage? Having never played for Spain and been at Arsenal for 5 years. Bit weird.

To be fair to Kamara and O’Shaughnessy they are both firmly Finnish, born and raised there.

What would you say is the cut off timewise tough

Sterling for example, Born in Jamaica, came over when he was 5.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:24 - Jun 16 with 1319 viewsSuperblue95

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:21 - Jun 16 by clive_baker

Wasn’t really aware of any of their backgrounds, just thought it was funny the amount of names that don’t sound remotely Finnish or Russian.

Agree with you and Dub though that it should take more than just residency to qualify for international football

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Login to get fewer ads

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:27 - Jun 16 with 1285 viewsBarcaBlue

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:24 - Jun 16 by chrismakin

30 years, and I'm still waiting for my call up here.
Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:28 - Jun 16 with 1272 viewsclive_baker

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:24 - Jun 16 by chrismakin

5 then :)

It is a grey area for sure, and definitely feels a bit arbitrary to pluck a number out of the air, it just feels like it makes a mockery of International competition really, when someone has qualified solely through residency. Could have absolutely no ties to a country, never stepped foot in there before, but join a club at 25, spend 5 years playing out there, then at 30 you're called up? Not sure about that. Happens a lot in Rugby.

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:30 - Jun 16 with 1248 viewsStokieBlue

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:28 - Jun 16 by clive_baker

It is a grey area for sure, and definitely feels a bit arbitrary to pluck a number out of the air, it just feels like it makes a mockery of International competition really, when someone has qualified solely through residency. Could have absolutely no ties to a country, never stepped foot in there before, but join a club at 25, spend 5 years playing out there, then at 30 you're called up? Not sure about that. Happens a lot in Rugby.

I think if you're moved somewhere before you're at the age where it's your decision then that's fine.

It's not like a 10 year old can say "I'm not moving there".

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:35 - Jun 16 with 1214 viewsjayessess

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:28 - Jun 16 by clive_baker

Migration produces complicated identities and migrants have complicated connections with places they live in for a long time. I think there's something sad about definitively telling anyone who lives and contributes in a place for years and years that they can never truly be "one of us".

Sure there's some cynical manipulation of the rules, but I think it's worth it for maintaining the principle that it's not just being born in a place that makes you "of that place".

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:37 - Jun 16 with 1187 viewsTractorCam

Before you start your professional career I'd say. Examples above show players who are representing a country because they signed for a club in their league.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:41 - Jun 16 with 1150 viewsParky

He’s no finish, he’s only 28
Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:45 - Jun 16 with 1101 viewsclive_baker

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:35 - Jun 16 by jayessess

Migration produces complicated identities and migrants have complicated connections with places they live in for a long time. I think there's something sad about definitively telling anyone who lives and contributes in a place for years and years that they can never truly be "one of us".

Sure there's some cynical manipulation of the rules, but I think it's worth it for maintaining the principle that it's not just being born in a place that makes you "of that place".

I don't disagree with that at all, I'm not going all 'if a dog is born in a stable, it doesn't make it an 'orse' Farage on y'all. I've lived in other parts of the world and my wife is a 'migrant', albeit an Irish one, having moved here at 18. I think the onus has to be in part on the individual too, as much as she loves it here I'm not sure she would represent England at anything, even if Ireland didn't want her. Appreciate money talks in some instances though. It is a hard one, it's just about how the cynical manipulation can be reduced while remaining fair. I'm sure there are Somalian's asking why Mo Farah runs for GB (although I believe he qualifies on heritage rather than residency). It's a sticky one.

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:49 - Jun 16 with 1084 viewsKeno

Thats the kind of thing thats really annoying and I pity anyone who tries to do a quiz based on which countries players come from and play for in the future

Anyone who does that is very brave and deserves high praise
[Post edited 16 Jun 2021 14:49]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 15:06 - Jun 16 with 998 viewsjayessess

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 14:45 - Jun 16 by clive_baker

I don't disagree with that at all, I'm not going all 'if a dog is born in a stable, it doesn't make it an 'orse' Farage on y'all. I've lived in other parts of the world and my wife is a 'migrant', albeit an Irish one, having moved here at 18. I think the onus has to be in part on the individual too, as much as she loves it here I'm not sure she would represent England at anything, even if Ireland didn't want her. Appreciate money talks in some instances though. It is a hard one, it's just about how the cynical manipulation can be reduced while remaining fair. I'm sure there are Somalian's asking why Mo Farah runs for GB (although I believe he qualifies on heritage rather than residency). It's a sticky one.

Mo Farah's British citizenship comes from his Dad getting citizenship via residency, I believe (although his Dad was a British Colonial citizen at birth, because Somalia was a British colony at the time).

I think with grey areas you balance the effects both ways, I guess. I'd tend to say there's so few players that are obviously manipulating things that standing up for that broad welcoming idea is more important.

Even with Fernandez I don't think it's cut and dried that it's only cynical abuse of the rules. He turned down opportunities to play for Brazil, was apparently very unhappy there and seems to have found himself genuinely at home in Russia. Maybe he just identifies with his adopted nation?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 15:21 - Jun 16 with 930 viewsjaykay

mike england playing for wales , alan brazil playing for scotland jason scotland playing for
trinidad what ever next

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 15:22 - Jun 16 with 914 viewsKeno

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 15:21 - Jun 16 by jaykay

mike england playing for wales , alan brazil playing for scotland jason scotland playing for
trinidad what ever next

Matt Netherlands played for Ireland

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Dumfries has scored at this tournament.... on 15:25 - Jun 16 with 872 viewsBloots

trinidad what ever next

.....and he's not Scottish.

Neither is Sterling, but that doesn't quite work.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 16:13 - Jun 16 with 805 viewsjaykay

trinidad what ever next

could have added matt holland and joe jordan to that list plus stephen ireland
[Post edited 16 Jun 2021 16:14]

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 16:25 - Jun 16 with 767 viewsWeWereZombies

Mario Fernandez, Glenn Kamara, Daniel O’Shaughnessy on 15:06 - Jun 16 by jayessess

Mo Farah's British citizenship comes from his Dad getting citizenship via residency, I believe (although his Dad was a British Colonial citizen at birth, because Somalia was a British colony at the time).

I think with grey areas you balance the effects both ways, I guess. I'd tend to say there's so few players that are obviously manipulating things that standing up for that broad welcoming idea is more important.

Even with Fernandez I don't think it's cut and dried that it's only cynical abuse of the rules. He turned down opportunities to play for Brazil, was apparently very unhappy there and seems to have found himself genuinely at home in Russia. Maybe he just identifies with his adopted nation?

Fernandez is quite a case in that he is Russian by Presidential decree. And his Wikipedia does intimate that he was so unhappy as a kid in Brazil that he even went feral at one point. Perhaps he genuinely prefers the rigidity of the Russian regime having seen the other side of the tracks and how low the prospects can be for street kids in Brazil. I do wonder what his life will be like in twenty years time when he is no longer idolised as a star footballer and thinks about the Copacabana beach in the middle of winter...nah, he will have enough money and kudos left to go to Cuba from September to March, won't he?

Oh, but Putin...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Dumfries has scored at this tournament.... on 16:26 - Jun 16 with 762 viewsfooters

Dumfries has scored at this tournament.... on 15:25 - Jun 16 by Bloots

.....and he's not Scottish.

Neither is Sterling, but that doesn't quite work.

At least he got the currency right.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Dumfries has scored at this tournament.... on 16:29 - Jun 16 with 757 viewsWeWereZombies

Dumfries has scored at this tournament.... on 16:26 - Jun 16 by footers

At least he got the currency right.

That doesn't explain how Mark Fish never got in the German team...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

They use Euros..... on 16:38 - Jun 16 with 732 viewsBloots

Dumfries has scored at this tournament.... on 16:29 - Jun 16 by WeWereZombies

That doesn't explain how Mark Fish never got in the German team...

...not Fish.

Obviously.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024