Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Training starts next Saturday... 22:37 - Jun 20 with 2790 viewsLowie

Training starts next Saturday.

We've only signed two (good) players.

Cook has told the rest of the squad they can leave. Don't get me wrong, I'm not lamenting those that have been shown the door. They weren't good enough.

However, the realisation that a lot of our (very poor) squad will still be here next season is a frankly dire state of affairs. If that is the case, we have no chance of getting out of this league.I can't see Cook lasting beyond Christmas unless we have a huge flood of signings (I'd say AT LEAST 9/10 players) This could be more of a disaster than Hurst if he isn't careful.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2021 22:39]
Training starts next Saturday... on 22:49 - Jun 20 with 2737 viewsStokieBlue

Thanks, I wasn't aware of any of that information.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Training starts next Saturday... on 22:52 - Jun 20 with 2725 viewsNthsuffolkblue

You are correct. We really should not have let the players go that we have let go. We really should be happy to settle for 9th in League 1. It is a good place to be.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Training starts next Saturday... on 22:52 - Jun 20 with 2719 viewsLowie

Training starts next Saturday... on 22:49 - Jun 20 by StokieBlue

SB

Fair enough, but does it not worry you?
Training starts next Saturday... on 22:54 - Jun 20 with 2690 viewsLowie

Training starts next Saturday... on 22:52 - Jun 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

You are correct. We really should not have let the players go that we have let go. We really should be happy to settle for 9th in League 1. It is a good place to be.

That isn't what I said.

I said I am glad every single player that we've let go has gone. They were not good enough.

The problem is we've not signed nearly enough better players to avoid having to keep half of the dross we still have on the books.

A new team needs time to gel and pre-season is going to be crucial. We need any new players here from the get go. The blunt truth is that Cook has shown he can't motivate or coach the players we have to be any better than they are.

The club needs to pull its finger out and do some serious business this week.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2021 22:57]
Training starts next Saturday... on 22:55 - Jun 20 with 2676 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Training starts next Saturday... on 22:49 - Jun 20 by StokieBlue

SB

God it's like groundhog day on here at the moment. Every bleedin' day someone posts the same thing.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Training starts next Saturday... on 22:59 - Jun 20 with 2650 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Training starts next Saturday... on 22:52 - Jun 20 by Lowie

It would worry me more if we had signed a lot of players that were no better than those we have let go.

At the moment we still have 10 of the squad from the first match of last season and 10 of the squad from the last match of the season.

You seem to forget just how large and cumbersome the squad was. I am sure those that are still here of the likes of Holy, Woolfenden, KVY, Downes, Dobra, Jackson, Norwood, Nolan, Nsiala, Donacien, Cornell, Kenlock, Lankester, Ndaba, etc. will still be involved in some capacity. It is as much up to them to prove they are worth a place as it is up to us to ship them out of the club.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Training starts next Saturday... on 23:50 - Jun 20 with 2546 viewsWallingford_Boy

Season starts in August.

Chill.

RIP Sir Bobby

Training starts next Saturday... on 00:05 - Jun 21 with 2515 viewsSitfcB

Training starts next Saturday... on 23:50 - Jun 20 by Wallingford_Boy

Season starts in August.

Chill.

Would be handy to have the players in for pre-season!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Login to get fewer ads

Training starts next Saturday... on 06:13 - Jun 21 with 2408 viewsgordon

At the end of the day, we're going to get lots of players in, the question will be whether they are a significant improvement on our lot, and we won't know that for a while. So I don't really see the point in posts like this.

Having said that, I still don't really understand the point of making public that we wanted a whole new squad in terms of our negotiating position and what we do if we have to hold on to some of last season's squad as cover.
Training starts next Saturday... on 06:41 - Jun 21 with 2342 viewssaffers12

Training starts next Saturday... on 06:13 - Jun 21 by gordon

At the end of the day, we're going to get lots of players in, the question will be whether they are a significant improvement on our lot, and we won't know that for a while. So I don't really see the point in posts like this.

Having said that, I still don't really understand the point of making public that we wanted a whole new squad in terms of our negotiating position and what we do if we have to hold on to some of last season's squad as cover.

Fully agree with this post

It does seem a rather odd position for PC to take
Training starts next Saturday... on 07:34 - Jun 21 with 2187 viewsWallingford_Boy

Training starts next Saturday... on 00:05 - Jun 21 by SitfcB

Would be handy to have the players in for pre-season!

Don’t you start!

RIP Sir Bobby

Training starts next Saturday... on 07:58 - Jun 21 with 2111 viewsGuthrum

Training starts next Saturday... on 06:13 - Jun 21 by gordon

IIRC it wasn't the club who initially made public the alleged "everyone can leave" position, but that the information was leaked and reported in the local press.

In any case, the takeover and its potential for better funding was not something which could ever have been concealed.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Training starts next Saturday... on 08:29 - Jun 21 with 2037 viewsGuthrum

Going out and signing an entirely new squad - especially in time for the start of preseason - was never going to be a realistic prospect. Moreover, I very much doubt that was what Cook or the new owners intended.

After all, even with Brett Johnson's 'ten percent' comment, he didn't specify it was all going to happen within one window, let alone the first month of that.

I reckon we'll see a total of four or five before the season kicks off, maybe another two or three up to the window closing, then a couple more in January. Alongside those players who were staying anyway (KVY, Norwood) and some who have shown they want to stay and be part of the project (e.g. Dobra).

Well, welcome to Groundhog Day……..again. (n/t) on 08:34 - Jun 21 with 2002 viewsChondzoresk

Training starts next Saturday... on 08:37 - Jun 21 with 1998 viewsCoastalblue

Training starts next Saturday... on 08:29 - Jun 21 by Guthrum

Going out and signing an entirely new squad - especially in time for the start of preseason - was never going to be a realistic prospect. Moreover, I very much doubt that was what Cook or the new owners intended.

After all, even with Brett Johnson's 'ten percent' comment, he didn't specify it was all going to happen within one window, let alone the first month of that.

I reckon we'll see a total of four or five before the season kicks off, maybe another two or three up to the window closing, then a couple more in January. Alongside those players who were staying anyway (KVY, Norwood) and some who have shown they want to stay and be part of the project (e.g. Dobra).

I believe you are probably correct sir, coupled with the fact nobody really knows the values in the market now, it's a very weird time, and a lot of free agents will be sitting and seeing what's available before they commit to anything.

Feck all ever happens in June anyway.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Training starts next Saturday... on 09:00 - Jun 21 with 1876 viewsurbanblue

Training starts next Saturday... on 08:37 - Jun 21 by Coastalblue

I believe you are probably correct sir, coupled with the fact nobody really knows the values in the market now, it's a very weird time, and a lot of free agents will be sitting and seeing what's available before they commit to anything.

Feck all ever happens in June anyway.

Quite right. The market never gets really going until July. I have no doubt the club has plenty of Irons in the fire but it's still early days. A lot of players and clubs will be waiting to see how the markets going before committing to anything. I can see a mad scramble happening everywhere as we move through July.
Training starts next Saturday... on 09:21 - Jun 21 with 1813 viewsGuthrum

Training starts next Saturday... on 09:00 - Jun 21 by urbanblue

Quite right. The market never gets really going until July. I have no doubt the club has plenty of Irons in the fire but it's still early days. A lot of players and clubs will be waiting to see how the markets going before committing to anything. I can see a mad scramble happening everywhere as we move through July.

Don't a lot of player contracts run until 30th June anyway? I see a stack of this summer's signings in the League/Prem are listed with a provisional date of 1st July.

Training starts next Saturday... on 09:39 - Jun 21 with 1752 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Training starts next Saturday... on 09:21 - Jun 21 by Guthrum

Don't a lot of player contracts run until 30th June anyway? I see a stack of this summer's signings in the League/Prem are listed with a provisional date of 1st July.

Don't let facts get in the way Guthers, there are lots of beds to be wet!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Training starts next Saturday... on 09:40 - Jun 21 with 1749 viewsEly_Blue

Training starts next Saturday... on 22:52 - Jun 20 by Lowie

It’s June 21st

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Training starts next Saturday... on 09:44 - Jun 21 with 1736 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Training starts next Saturday... on 22:54 - Jun 20 by Lowie

That isn't what I said.

I said I am glad every single player that we've let go has gone. They were not good enough.

The problem is we've not signed nearly enough better players to avoid having to keep half of the dross we still have on the books.

A new team needs time to gel and pre-season is going to be crucial. We need any new players here from the get go. The blunt truth is that Cook has shown he can't motivate or coach the players we have to be any better than they are.

The club needs to pull its finger out and do some serious business this week.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2021 22:57]

Everyone is aware we still have a squad of 17, not including the U23's aren't they? Saying "you are free to go if someone comes in", is not the same as letting someone go. Name me a single season when we've had all our business done before pre-season starts?

Or do people think day one of training is going to be Wolfie, KVY, Downes, Norwood, Evans and Burns?

Rush keepers!!
[Post edited 21 Jun 2021 9:48]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024