Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gareth Southgate is now... 21:42 - Jul 3 with 4861 viewsOldboy

The second most successful England manager of all time.
Gareth Southgate is now... on 23:31 - Jul 3 with 1343 viewsgtsb1966

Gareth Southgate is now... on 23:26 - Jul 3 by N2_Blue

Why have we been lucky I don't understand?

Were France lucky or unlucky then losing to Switzerland

Were England lucky or unlucky when they lost to Iceland last time

I genuinely don't understand?

You could say England's worst result has been against the weakest team they've played

I don't think you understand tournament football

Nunite... Busy day tomorrow.
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/england-win-euros-data-odds
Gareth Southgate is now... on 08:34 - Jul 4 with 1241 viewsdeano85

'sir Gareth'
Gareth Southgate is now... on 08:54 - Jul 4 with 1228 viewsradiogaga

Gareth Southgate is now... on 22:34 - Jul 3 by gtsb1966

I'm not knocking him, merely pointing out how lucky we have got with the fixtures.

I would hardly say having to play Germany in the last 16 as a 'reward' for winning their group is a good break in fairness. These players deserve all the credit they are getting, this current group give everything every game and are role models for a future generation of young fans. Under Southgate, there is a general confidence that we will handle the pressure unlike the teams of years gone by. Nobody has really laid a glove on us, perhaps Scotland but no goals conceded speaks for itself.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2021 8:58]

Poll: How many points will Town need to make the off-plays?
Blog: Expectations of Paul Lambert's Ipswich

Gareth Southgate is now... on 11:06 - Jul 4 with 1171 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Gareth Southgate is now... on 22:45 - Jul 3 by BloomBlue

France got lucky with getting Switzerland but couldn't beat them.

You could argue Sir Bob's England team got luck in 88 with their group of Russia, Holland and ROI but lost all 3

We won our group we can only face and beat what's in front of us.

Ho was the Euro '88 group lucky?

Netherlands and Soviets both got to the final and the Rep of Ireland team was their finest ever.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Gareth Southgate is now... on 13:53 - Jul 4 with 1121 viewsstopmoaning

Gareth Southgate is now... on 22:29 - Jul 3 by gtsb1966

Let's be honest here though, he has had the two easiest routes to those semi finals ever.

That’s not true.
Gareth Southgate is now... on 14:17 - Jul 4 with 1095 viewsStewart27

You could say England's worst result has been against the weakest team they've played

Yep.

Who would I had rather played out of Sweden and Ukraine? The team that lost.

Who would I rather play out of Czech or Denmark? The team that lost.

Who would I rather play out of Spain and Italy? The team that lost.
Gareth Southgate is now... on 17:27 - Jul 4 with 1048 viewsElephantintheRoom

Try aand think rationally. England have been playing every game at Wembley whilst some other teams have been jetting to the edge of asia and playing in searing heat. They have had one game in Rome and are now back at Wembley - that IS rather easy compared to what most teams have been asked to do.

France, Portugal and Gemany in one group. It may not be coincidence that they all went out early as they had to peak too early.... meanwhile only one team that came third went out - Portugal.

The Euros are a curious tournament - often won by rather weak teams - Denmark, Greece, Portugal because you can get through without winning - but the guy's point is clear England have had an easy ride both in terms of where they play and who they play.

Having said that it hardly matters - you can only beat what's in front of you - just as Brazil did with their easy route to the 1970 world cup final whilst England, West Germany and Italy all played themselves to a standstill in the other half of the draw.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Gareth Southgate is now... on 17:33 - Jul 4 with 1042 viewssolemio

Gareth Southgate is now... on 17:27 - Jul 4 by ElephantintheRoom

Try aand think rationally. England have been playing every game at Wembley whilst some other teams have been jetting to the edge of asia and playing in searing heat. They have had one game in Rome and are now back at Wembley - that IS rather easy compared to what most teams have been asked to do.

France, Portugal and Gemany in one group. It may not be coincidence that they all went out early as they had to peak too early.... meanwhile only one team that came third went out - Portugal.

The Euros are a curious tournament - often won by rather weak teams - Denmark, Greece, Portugal because you can get through without winning - but the guy's point is clear England have had an easy ride both in terms of where they play and who they play.

Having said that it hardly matters - you can only beat what's in front of you - just as Brazil did with their easy route to the 1970 world cup final whilst England, West Germany and Italy all played themselves to a standstill in the other half of the draw.

Yes, that 1970 Brazil team was totally useless. Just lacked quality players!
Login to get fewer ads

Gareth Southgate is now... on 17:39 - Jul 4 with 1035 viewsElephantintheRoom

Gareth Southgate is now... on 17:33 - Jul 4 by solemio

Yes, that 1970 Brazil team was totally useless. Just lacked quality players!

You make my point exactly - Brazil were a very good side - almost as good as Englland in the group game - and they should perhaps have met again in the final.

Alas England had to play themelves to exhaustion against W Germany, who were exhausted themselves against Italy, in one of the greatest WC games of all time - and a spent Italy were too exhausted to compete in the final.

Meanwhile Brazil strolled into the final and history as the greatest team ever

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Gareth Southgate is now... on 20:33 - Jul 4 with 1000 viewsvapour_trail

Gareth Southgate is now... on 17:27 - Jul 4 by ElephantintheRoom

If you think the Greek, Danish and Portuguese teams that won the euros were weak, then frankly, you’re an idiot.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Gareth Southgate is now... on 20:38 - Jul 4 with 987 viewschicoazul

Gareth Southgate is now... on 22:37 - Jul 3 by vapour_trail

BoIIocks.

We were definitely lucky in 2018 and didn’t play anyone good until Croatia.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Gareth Southgate is now... on 20:41 - Jul 4 with 980 viewsvapour_trail

Gareth Southgate is now... on 20:38 - Jul 4 by chicoazul

This is true if you understand very little about football.

Gareth Southgate is now... on 20:48 - Jul 4 with 974 viewsMelford

This does my head in, this king of one-upmanship in doing down England. "Oh the World Cup, we had an easy draw, beat teams we should have beaten, got found out, blah blah blah", first major semi in 20 odd years and people slag it off.

There's still a few hanging on now trying to pull this sh!t now, why would you not be fully behind it now, given the clear success we've had so far.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Gareth Southgate is now... on 00:08 - Jul 5 with 907 viewsKropotkin123

Except Belgium, of course, who were ranked third in the world...

A case could also be made that Sweden were in good form, having topped a group that had Germany (Ranked 1st) and Mexico (Ranked 15th) in it.

Sweden were only ranked 5 places below Croatia, who you say were good, coming into that tournament.

EDIT: Colombia were ranked 16th in the world too, which comparably wasn't an easy draw. Not like getting Japan or Russia, for example, who were ranked 60th and 66th in the world respectively.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2021 0:30]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Gareth Southgate is now... on 08:26 - Jul 5 with 853 viewsOldboy

Most of the Countries in this tournament have players playing in the top leagues in the world. There are very few easy games in International football today. Qualification games can throw up an easier path to the tournament, but once there, every game is needed to be taken seriously and opposition respected. (Apart from Scotland obviously). England have a remarkable squad at the moment and any side Gareth puts out, will beat most out there. That doesn't make it an easy path, it's just that we are looking great at the moment. Italy/Spain in the final will be a test, but one we will pass. When we win the tournament on Sunday night, it won't be because we had it easy, it will be because we are better than Everybody else.
Gareth Southgate is now... on 08:35 - Jul 5 with 834 viewsEddyJ

Why does it need to be one thing or the other? All of these statements are true:

We have had a relatively easy run so far.
We have got one of the best squads in the tournament.
Southgate has made us solid and hard to beat (we haven't conceded a goal yet).
We seem to be peaking at the right time.
Gareth Southgate is now... on 08:52 - Jul 5 with 816 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Gareth Southgate is now... on 08:35 - Jul 5 by EddyJ

Why does it need to be one thing or the other? All of these statements are true:

We have had a relatively easy run so far.
We have got one of the best squads in the tournament.
Southgate has made us solid and hard to beat (we haven't conceded a goal yet).
We seem to be peaking at the right time.

The first one really isn’t true though. As per my post earlier in the thread, only Italy of the other SF’s can claim to have had as hard a run to get here as we have

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Gareth Southgate is now... on 09:00 - Jul 5 with 806 viewsEddyJ

Gareth Southgate is now... on 08:52 - Jul 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The first one really isn’t true though. As per my post earlier in the thread, only Italy of the other SF’s can claim to have had as hard a run to get here as we have

Hence those teams are in the SFs. It would be unlikely for Denmark to be in the SFs if they had played several of the better teams.

We have had a relatively easy run compared to teams like Portugal, who had to play Germany, France and Belgium.

It is not a criticism of England that they have had an easy run. We have beat those put in front of us.
Gareth Southgate is now... on 09:04 - Jul 5 with 800 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Gareth Southgate is now... on 09:00 - Jul 5 by EddyJ

Hence those teams are in the SFs. It would be unlikely for Denmark to be in the SFs if they had played several of the better teams.

We have had a relatively easy run compared to teams like Portugal, who had to play Germany, France and Belgium.

It is not a criticism of England that they have had an easy run. We have beat those put in front of us.

In a tournament where third place in the group can get you through I don’t think the group opponents are important. As evidenced by Portugal winning neither of the France and Germany games but still going through, and then getting an opponent on a not dissimilar level to England despite us winning our group*

*the easy group featuring finalists in the last WC (who then took semi finalists Spain to ET), and a Czech Republic side that knocked out Holland
[Post edited 5 Jul 2021 9:05]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Gareth Southgate is now... on 09:05 - Jul 5 with 798 viewsvapour_trail

Gareth Southgate is now... on 09:00 - Jul 5 by EddyJ

If Portugal have had such a difficult run, why have all those teams gone home before the semi finals?

Gareth Southgate is now... on 10:18 - Jul 5 with 772 viewsPositivelyPortman

Gareth Southgate is now... on 22:29 - Jul 3 by gtsb1966

Let's be honest here though, he has had the two easiest routes to those semi finals ever.

You’ve opened a can of worms now.
All the pre-menstrual, Monday morning drips are on this morning and you’ve hit gold!

I don’t agree with you btw.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Gareth Southgate is now... on 22:40 - Jul 7 with 685 viewsBloomBlue

Definitely is now
Gareth Southgate is now... on 22:46 - Jul 7 with 667 viewsNeedhamChris

Amazing stuff!! :)

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024