Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Returning to PR on 7th August 07:57 - Jul 13 with 2607 viewsBeattie78

My wife has been shielding when advised to by the government. We're both double vaccinated but I feel uneasy about returning to PR in the circumstances. Does anyone else feel the same way?

LexdenBlue62

Returning to PR on 7th August on 08:06 - Jul 13 with 2158 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Not really no, but my circumstances may be different.

I am sure I have Covid at Xmas 2019, am am double vaccinated, I can't wait to get going.
Returning to PR on 7th August on 08:13 - Jul 13 with 2120 viewsIpswichKnight

Nope, I can’t wait to get back. However everyone’s circumstances are different and plenty will be hesitant to come back I’m sure.
Returning to PR on 7th August on 08:14 - Jul 13 with 2114 viewsSteve_M

I think that's a completely understandable reaction, especially when levels of covid in the country are still rising. At some point you will need to make your own calculation of personal risk, dependent on your respective ages and the exact reason your wife has been advised to shield, but it might feel a bit early to do that now.

At PR it probably depends whereabouts you sit and what your routine is. I.e. the back of the lower North when full and trying to get into the toilets their is higher risk than sitting in upper SAR. Also public transport and busy pubs.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Returning to PR on 7th August on 08:14 - Jul 13 with 2111 viewsbluelagos

Going to be lots of people in a similar position. Given that double jabs give around 95% protection of death, that is one positive.

On the other hand, a busy football ground is a perfecf place for transmission. And it's fair to say August will have higher rates than now of virus.

At the end of the day it's your health, your riak and your choice. I don't think anyone else can make the decision for you or should judge you whatever you decide to do.

Do what you think is sensible and consider the joy/pleasure of a visit to the stadium vs the risk and consequence of catching the virus. Front page of today's I paper suggests govt. guidance that may be relevant too.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Returning to PR on 7th August on 08:16 - Jul 13 with 2093 viewsBlueJudge

Yes. Same circumstances here. Shielding wife. I dont want to contract the virus at PR and bring it home. We are still cautious and take precautions. i may try and sit elsewhere in the ground, somewhere less crowded, compared to my usual spot.
Returning to PR on 7th August on 08:19 - Jul 13 with 2071 viewsnodge_blue

I am a bit yes.

When I renewed I did wonder if we would be restricted numbers or spaced out. But it looks like I will be sitting packed in as ever. I think its a recipe for getting the virus, even though we are outdoors.

You cant help but breath in other peoples air.

But I don't know what the answer is. Ive argued on other threads that this virus isn't going away.

I wonder if the club would move your seat if you're really concerned. There are always pockets (like top of the Sir Alf) that don't have alot of people crowded in.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Returning to PR on 7th August on 08:30 - Jul 13 with 2014 viewsMookamoo

Why not wait and go to the Newport game and see how you feel then? There will be fewer people and it will be less chaotic than the first game back. Shame to miss the start, but if you're unsure then it might be worth easing back into it.
Returning to PR on 7th August on 09:09 - Jul 13 with 1891 viewsBasuco

Yes very much so, but it depends why your wife was shielding, if she has a compromised immune system it is a far more difficult decision than just going back to mixing in crowds. I am of the opinion that we need to accept there is a risk in getting back to life as it was, but I will mitigate that risk as much as possible. I also think the Government will have to "do a Holland" and bring back restrictions in August or September.
Login to get fewer ads

Returning to PR on 7th August on 09:20 - Jul 13 with 1827 viewsbluelagos

Returning to PR on 7th August on 08:14 - Jul 13 by bluelagos

Going to be lots of people in a similar position. Given that double jabs give around 95% protection of death, that is one positive.

On the other hand, a busy football ground is a perfecf place for transmission. And it's fair to say August will have higher rates than now of virus.

At the end of the day it's your health, your riak and your choice. I don't think anyone else can make the decision for you or should judge you whatever you decide to do.

Do what you think is sensible and consider the joy/pleasure of a visit to the stadium vs the risk and consequence of catching the virus. Front page of today's I paper suggests govt. guidance that may be relevant too.

The story and the new guidance are linked here.

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/clinically-vulnerable-people-shielding-return-ne

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-

Returning to PR on 7th August on 09:20 - Jul 13 with 1831 viewsjayessess

I've no significant risk and have been double vaxxed, but it still concerns me to think I still might end up transmitting it to others. That said, it seems you'd have to be very unlucky to catch it outdoors during the actual match. This article - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-55680305 - talks about "talking face to face for 15 minutes" as being the kind of circumstances you'd catch it outdoors.

What's going to elevate risk with so many people is public transport, hanging around in the concourse, exiting the ground and things like that.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 9:57]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Returning to PR on 7th August on 09:51 - Jul 13 with 1737 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

Despite some of the moronic football scenes at the weeekend I think the majority of people know how to and will act responsibly both in terms of their impact on others but also to protect themselves.

Sadly nothing in the Govts announcement yesterday will have done anything to reassure you and this is a problem because you are most certainly not alone.

I will go but will reassess if I feel too compromised in terms of myself and others.

I wonder if the answer to your genuine concern is to miss this game and then take stock from reports and contributions on here as to whether you feel like attending future games.

Otherwise I saw a sensible post below suggesting going to a couple of likely less well attended pre season games, that might help build confidence?
Returning to PR on 7th August on 10:43 - Jul 13 with 1611 viewsDebsyAngel

I am scared too - I too have been double vaccinated but have great difficulty wearing a mask due to breathing problems and wear a lanyard.

I am dreading being in a crowd, and especially if need to use the toilet. I may well bring a flask or my own refreshments with me to avoid going to the bar (if the club allow that - they were funny about people bringing stuff in that was not bought inside the ground a couple of years ago, so hope the rules can be changed for that).

Of course I WANT to be there but being almost agoraphobic since this whole covid hell started, it is going to be extremely hard. I cannot even have my husband there are the tickets will be all season ticket holders.

Would be nice if the club could offer people who do not feel ready yet, or who are isolating, the chance to watch on IFollow with a season ticket code voucher, like we did last season, but cannot see how they will agree to that.

I wish you and your wife all the best and that you will be ok. Remember, you are not the only one who feels this way, far from it.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 10:58]
Returning to PR on 7th August on 11:12 - Jul 13 with 1556 viewsbluelagos

Returning to PR on 7th August on 10:43 - Jul 13 by DebsyAngel

I am scared too - I too have been double vaccinated but have great difficulty wearing a mask due to breathing problems and wear a lanyard.

I am dreading being in a crowd, and especially if need to use the toilet. I may well bring a flask or my own refreshments with me to avoid going to the bar (if the club allow that - they were funny about people bringing stuff in that was not bought inside the ground a couple of years ago, so hope the rules can be changed for that).

Of course I WANT to be there but being almost agoraphobic since this whole covid hell started, it is going to be extremely hard. I cannot even have my husband there are the tickets will be all season ticket holders.

Would be nice if the club could offer people who do not feel ready yet, or who are isolating, the chance to watch on IFollow with a season ticket code voucher, like we did last season, but cannot see how they will agree to that.

I wish you and your wife all the best and that you will be ok. Remember, you are not the only one who feels this way, far from it.

"Would be nice if the club could offer people who do not feel ready yet, or who are isolating, the chance to watch on IFollow with a season ticket code voucher"

If you don't ask you'll never know. Would be amazed if they refused to be honest. The government have stated they want a gradual return to normality and there are plenty of people who will be in similar position to you Debsy.

Returning to PR on 7th August on 11:29 - Jul 13 with 1499 viewsDebsyAngel

Returning to PR on 7th August on 11:12 - Jul 13 by bluelagos

"Would be nice if the club could offer people who do not feel ready yet, or who are isolating, the chance to watch on IFollow with a season ticket code voucher"

If you don't ask you'll never know. Would be amazed if they refused to be honest. The government have stated they want a gradual return to normality and there are plenty of people who will be in similar position to you Debsy.

Yeah maybe I could email the club and asked if this could be an option - not sure how it would work, but there must be a way? I know there is the option of buying an IFollow pass for the whole season, but that works out pricey and a waste of money if you are going to eventually return to the stadium to watch.
Returning to PR on 7th August on 11:35 - Jul 13 with 1471 viewsSteve_M

Returning to PR on 7th August on 11:29 - Jul 13 by DebsyAngel

Yeah maybe I could email the club and asked if this could be an option - not sure how it would work, but there must be a way? I know there is the option of buying an IFollow pass for the whole season, but that works out pricey and a waste of money if you are going to eventually return to the stadium to watch.

It's also the case that people may have to isolate at short notice which the club should be able to make alternative provisions for, indeed it is in their interests not to have an outbreak happen at PR.

Not being able to attend some matches for covid-related reasons won't be a unique situation.

Also, your earlier comment about not being able to go with your husband because that area is all season ticket holders. The club will definitely help move your seat for a specific match to allow that which sounds like it will help you when you do go to your first match back.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 11:45]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Returning to PR on 7th August on 11:35 - Jul 13 with 1470 viewsTractorCam

Nope, i'm a hypochondriac normally but have to trust the vaccine works, otherwise what's the point. I was at Wembley on Wednesday and it was good to be back amongst a football crowd with a big atmosphere, as well as Dartford away and showed how much I missed it.

I appreciate everyone's situation is different though.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Returning to PR on 7th August on 11:39 - Jul 13 with 1462 viewsVaughan8

I am a bit concerned. I'm not a season ticket holder (and can't go to the first 2 home games" so i'll see how it goes for those.

I appreciate its not Wembley, but a colleague went last Tuesday and now has Covid. These crowds are exactly what this virus wants.

We have to trust the vaccines at some point though so i'm a bit confused about how I feel haha
Returning to PR on 7th August on 11:40 - Jul 13 with 1457 viewstrncbluearmy

Returning to PR on 7th August on 11:12 - Jul 13 by bluelagos

There are a couple of blocks that remain reasonable unpopulated most games

Sir Alf Block 3
Cobble Block A

Perhaps approach the club, there seems to be plenty of good people there now willing to listen and act.

These areas could be used for those who wanted to attend games but also had concerns.
Returning to PR on 7th August on 11:42 - Jul 13 with 1443 viewsDebsyAngel

Returning to PR on 7th August on 11:35 - Jul 13 by Steve_M

It's also the case that people may have to isolate at short notice which the club should be able to make alternative provisions for, indeed it is in their interests not to have an outbreak happen at PR.

Not being able to attend some matches for covid-related reasons won't be a unique situation.

Also, your earlier comment about not being able to go with your husband because that area is all season ticket holders. The club will definitely help move your seat for a specific match to allow that which sounds like it will help you when you do go to your first match back.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 11:45]

Thank you for the advice - I am usually in front row, section 5 in SBR lower. Will look into this.
Returning to PR on 7th August on 11:58 - Jul 13 with 1391 viewsFenoit

Returning to PR on 7th August on 10:43 - Jul 13 by DebsyAngel

Why won't your husband be able to go? Nowhere have they said that tickets will not be on general sale.
Returning to PR on 7th August on 12:08 - Jul 13 with 1358 viewsRyorry

Returning to PR on 7th August on 09:20 - Jul 13 by jayessess

I've no significant risk and have been double vaxxed, but it still concerns me to think I still might end up transmitting it to others. That said, it seems you'd have to be very unlucky to catch it outdoors during the actual match. This article - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-55680305 - talks about "talking face to face for 15 minutes" as being the kind of circumstances you'd catch it outdoors.

What's going to elevate risk with so many people is public transport, hanging around in the concourse, exiting the ground and things like that.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 9:57]

I doubt the risk levels are the same for "outdoors" when in roads, parks fields, woods etc as for "outdoors" in football stadiums, particularly the more modern ones where there are no gaps in the corners for breezes to get through & help circulate air.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Returning to PR on 7th August on 12:16 - Jul 13 with 1326 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Returning to PR on 7th August on 11:29 - Jul 13 by DebsyAngel

It is only £5 a week.
Returning to PR on 7th August on 12:55 - Jul 13 with 1269 viewsDebsyAngel

Returning to PR on 7th August on 11:58 - Jul 13 by Fenoit

Why won't your husband be able to go? Nowhere have they said that tickets will not be on general sale.

Where I sit, it's entirely sold out, and all season tickets.
Returning to PR on 7th August on 12:56 - Jul 13 with 1263 viewsDebsyAngel

Returning to PR on 7th August on 12:16 - Jul 13 by BlueBlueBluex2

It is only £5 a week.

It is £5 extra this year added to the normal price. There was a story on here about 3 weeks ago.
Returning to PR on 7th August on 12:58 - Jul 13 with 1255 viewschrismakin

Returning to PR on 7th August on 11:42 - Jul 13 by DebsyAngel

Thank you for the advice - I am usually in front row, section 5 in SBR lower. Will look into this.

Isnt that where Blueaction are going to be? might want to move if closeness is a worry, it's gonna be heaving there.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024