Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone watching the Cricket 100. 19:05 - Jul 21 with 3702 viewsScuzzer

It's the womens one tonight...
Any thoughts?

Established 1968

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 21:25 - Jul 21 with 1605 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 21:11 - Jul 21 by Gogs

Well your last sentence is most likely the key to the whole thing. If it can get kids interested and more importantly keep them interested, it’s no bad thing.

Good turnout tonight, Interested to see what the crowd will be like at the men’s games.

Well it's a sell out so depends how many actually turn up...

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 22:15 - Jul 21 with 1568 viewsBlueForYou

If they pushed the Vitality T20 Blast as much as this, it could be magical, & guess what, most folk could support their own County team, unlike the ECB, who have taken a huge gamble with this. I think the Blast is way better & will support that. Too much one day cricket already!
Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 00:51 - Jul 22 with 1529 viewsreusersfreekicks

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 21:03 - Jul 21 by Steve_M

Going to the last over at least, some of the fielding has been dreadful tonight but the batting of van Niekerk has been superb.

Being an anti 20:20 person was surprised to quite enjoy it. The thrill the players got from performing in front of a half decent crowd was good to see
Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 06:16 - Jul 22 with 1504 viewsMaySixth

Sound off.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 06:19 - Jul 22 with 1503 viewsMaySixth

I'm assuming The Oval Invincibles will have to change their name when they lose.

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 06:37 - Jul 22 with 1495 viewsBryanPlug

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 06:19 - Jul 22 by MaySixth

I'm assuming The Oval Invincibles will have to change their name when they lose.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 07:31 - Jul 22 with 1468 viewsMaySixth

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 06:37 - Jul 22 by BryanPlug

Watched the hundred last night. Had the sound off.

Good cricket is good cricket in whatever format.

Made me realise though why muck about with t20 though?

Didn’t see much difference at all and t20 was thriving.

Stick that on terristeral TV, sort out over rates and have family only stands and the job was done.

Plus loads of counties didn’t miss out.

ECB greed has driven this but was always that way

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 08:37 - Jul 22 with 1424 viewsmikeybloo88

I'm sure this will upset some people, but I'm not a fan of women's cricket, just as I'm not a fan of women's football. The standard really isn't very good and with so much cricket and football available to watch and limited time to do so, I don't see the point in using up some of that time watching an inferior product. I tuned in for a while last night more to see the format and how it was broadcast, to prepare me or what I'll see tonight for the men's game. The format seems ok, its still just cricket really even though I'm not convinced at all that we needed it, but I'm prepared to give it a go and will reserve judgement until the end of the competition. The TV presentation was a bit garish and looked like a video game. The actual cricket itself was as I expected.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 08:57 - Jul 22 with 1412 viewsSteve_M

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 07:31 - Jul 22 by MaySixth

Watched the hundred last night. Had the sound off.

Good cricket is good cricket in whatever format.

Made me realise though why muck about with t20 though?

Didn’t see much difference at all and t20 was thriving.

Stick that on terristeral TV, sort out over rates and have family only stands and the job was done.

Plus loads of counties didn’t miss out.

ECB greed has driven this but was always that way

Yep, an enhanced T20 competition with this level of publicity, including terrestrial TV, would surely have worked well. The woman's T20 blast was decent too before the ECB scrapped it.

If ticket pricing is an issue then there's a need to be more imaginative than the current county policy for T20 (Lord's was £30 and I think £15 for kids this year).

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 09:43 - Jul 22 with 1386 viewsRamRob

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 08:57 - Jul 22 by Steve_M

Yep, an enhanced T20 competition with this level of publicity, including terrestrial TV, would surely have worked well. The woman's T20 blast was decent too before the ECB scrapped it.

If ticket pricing is an issue then there's a need to be more imaginative than the current county policy for T20 (Lord's was £30 and I think £15 for kids this year).

the problem with the T20 blast is there are too many teams so the tournament is too long. There are also too many middle of the road players. You need more quality players in your team's, you don't want the game to be over as soon as the best players are out. currently the best players are spread too thinly over the counties.
But I don't think the counties would have allowed a competing T20 competition, hence the hundred was the best option.

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 09:58 - Jul 22 with 1374 viewsmeekreech

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 21:07 - Jul 21 by Metal_Hacker

Yeah it was ok

Not a huge cricket fan myself but that I quite liked

You can get the same enjoyment watching the T-20 games. This is a modified version of the T-20 game but with fewer balls available therefore scores will be lower thus lowering the entertainment available. This is just an attempt to raise money with a product of dubious quality and value.

Poll: who do you see as next manager ?

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 10:37 - Jul 22 with 1361 viewsSteve_M

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 09:43 - Jul 22 by RamRob

the problem with the T20 blast is there are too many teams so the tournament is too long. There are also too many middle of the road players. You need more quality players in your team's, you don't want the game to be over as soon as the best players are out. currently the best players are spread too thinly over the counties.
But I don't think the counties would have allowed a competing T20 competition, hence the hundred was the best option.

Yes, it was the franchise system behind the ECB's thinking plus owning a product they hope to be able to license elsewhere. It's still a big gamble with the other three domestic competitions though.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 10:59 - Jul 22 with 1355 viewsstonojnr

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 19:11 - Jul 21 by Scuzzer

Good...hope you enjoy.
Myself I cant see what advantage it has over T20 Bash.

In cricketing terms there is none, for broadcasters though, worried their viewers have the attention span of a gnat it let's them think they are showing sport that appeals more to a youthful audience.

See also F1 with its sprint races. It's all about the entertainment factor for channel hoppers,not about the sporting context anymore.

Personally, despite being a cricketing fan for over 30 years, I wont be watching a single second of it, even if it became the most popular format of it, I'd still boycott it
Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 11:41 - Jul 22 with 1328 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 10:59 - Jul 22 by stonojnr

In cricketing terms there is none, for broadcasters though, worried their viewers have the attention span of a gnat it let's them think they are showing sport that appeals more to a youthful audience.

See also F1 with its sprint races. It's all about the entertainment factor for channel hoppers,not about the sporting context anymore.

Personally, despite being a cricketing fan for over 30 years, I wont be watching a single second of it, even if it became the most popular format of it, I'd still boycott it

I get that for the purist this is never going to be your thing but if it inspires children to want to play the game then why not? The stadium last night looked full of families with young children supporting "their" team. It's on terrestrial telly meaning another audience to watch. It's also short enough to play much of it during the summer holidays meaning more kids will be able to watch again.

How would you like to have seen the same investment (£300m ish) made in getting the next generation to get involved in the game?

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 11:44 - Jul 22 with 1322 viewsGeorge03

I think it more entertaining and watchable for young children or non cricket fans.
However, from a cricket fan’s perspective I didn’t particularly enjoy it, much rather watched a t20 game.
Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 11:46 - Jul 22 with 1321 viewssolemio

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 21:25 - Jul 21 by Charlie_pl_baxter

Well it's a sell out so depends how many actually turn up...

It was not a sell-out. Many of the tickets were given away to make it look as though this disgraceful farce is a success.
Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 11:53 - Jul 22 with 1308 viewsRamRob

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 11:44 - Jul 22 by George03

I think it more entertaining and watchable for young children or non cricket fans.
However, from a cricket fan’s perspective I didn’t particularly enjoy it, much rather watched a t20 game.

I don't follow that reasoning, they are still bowling a ball, still hitting said ball with a bat, and highest total wins. How does the length of the game make one format more enjoyable than the other over the matter of 20 balls? It's Cricket either way. What exactly was missing that a T20 game would have added?

Don't like change do we?

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 12:01 - Jul 22 with 1292 viewsParsley

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 11:41 - Jul 22 by Charlie_pl_baxter

I get that for the purist this is never going to be your thing but if it inspires children to want to play the game then why not? The stadium last night looked full of families with young children supporting "their" team. It's on terrestrial telly meaning another audience to watch. It's also short enough to play much of it during the summer holidays meaning more kids will be able to watch again.

How would you like to have seen the same investment (£300m ish) made in getting the next generation to get involved in the game?

I think the terrestrial telly bit is important but the format not so much. I loved watching the 2005 ashes series as a teenager and the tension and drama that builds up in a good test series can't be beaten in my opinion. For me the priority should be getting kids to play cricket rather than watch it and that kind of money could do a lot at grass roots level.
Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 12:07 - Jul 22 with 1275 viewsPhilTWTD

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 06:37 - Jul 22 by BryanPlug

The Manchester New Originals.
Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 19:00 - Jul 22 with 1217 viewsMerseyBlue

Didn't watch the women's match last night but enjoying tonight's action so far. I know a lot of traditionalists are against it, and the short form of the game does now feel a bit over-saturated, but it doesn't feel particularly different from watching a T20 match. The graphics are a bit intense, I had a good chuckle at the flashing "OH YEAH" when there's a 6. Not sure if this will catch on but it's enjoyable enough.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 20:14 - Jul 22 with 1189 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 11:44 - Jul 22 by George03

I genuinely don’t see what makes this more entertaining than a standard T20 blast game. It smacks of tinkering for tinkerings sake.

And the scoreboard is unnecessarily busy and complicated

Poll: Our final position

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 20:17 - Jul 22 with 1187 viewsgainsboroughblue

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 20:14 - Jul 22 by southnorfolkblue

I genuinely don’t see what makes this more entertaining than a standard T20 blast game. It smacks of tinkering for tinkerings sake.

And the scoreboard is unnecessarily busy and complicated

As is the constant cutting away for vox pops and interviews. Just missed a wicket. Not complaining too much as it's a good product and live cricket on normal TV but just a bit of honing maybe.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 21:00 - Jul 22 with 1142 viewsBryanPlug

Anyone watching the Cricket 100. on 08:37 - Jul 22 by mikeybloo88

I'm sure this will upset some people, but I'm not a fan of women's cricket, just as I'm not a fan of women's football. The standard really isn't very good and with so much cricket and football available to watch and limited time to do so, I don't see the point in using up some of that time watching an inferior product. I tuned in for a while last night more to see the format and how it was broadcast, to prepare me or what I'll see tonight for the men's game. The format seems ok, its still just cricket really even though I'm not convinced at all that we needed it, but I'm prepared to give it a go and will reserve judgement until the end of the competition. The TV presentation was a bit garish and looked like a video game. The actual cricket itself was as I expected.

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024