Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... 15:28 - Jul 30 with 5932 viewsunstableblue

.... the huge wage bill that had been expunged (sp?) from the club by getting rid of the old timers... Sears, Chambo, Skuse, Judge

None of our new players will be on their packages that's for sure!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 15:30 - Jul 30 with 4022 viewstractorboy1978

Most of these new players will be earning in excess of what any of our players earned last season.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2021 15:54]
Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 15:35 - Jul 30 with 3969 viewsDubtractor

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 15:30 - Jul 30 by tractorboy1978

Most of these new players will be earning in excess of what any of our players earned last season.

I'd imagine that they will be similar, or slightly better, but overall spend on wages maybe not drastically different due to the shear number of players leaving the club.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 15:37 - Jul 30 with 3948 viewstractorboy1978

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 15:35 - Jul 30 by Dubtractor

I'd imagine that they will be similar, or slightly better, but overall spend on wages maybe not drastically different due to the shear number of players leaving the club.

Perhaps not markedly higher but I'd wager our wage bill will be higher this season than it was last (and on fewer players). Revenue will also be up so we will be able to spend more under SCMP too.
Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 15:41 - Jul 30 with 3911 viewsChurchman

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 15:30 - Jul 30 by tractorboy1978

I don’t know about that. The Chambers, Skuse’s and Judge’s of the club would have been on Championship contracts. Dozzell too. 27 players out, including loanees, 10 in, I suspect the salary bill is well down.

I presume automatic increases are in new contracts to account for promotion to the next level if/when this occurs.

All speculation, of course.
Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 15:43 - Jul 30 with 3881 viewstractorboy1978

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 15:41 - Jul 30 by Churchman

I don’t know about that. The Chambers, Skuse’s and Judge’s of the club would have been on Championship contracts. Dozzell too. 27 players out, including loanees, 10 in, I suspect the salary bill is well down.

I presume automatic increases are in new contracts to account for promotion to the next level if/when this occurs.

All speculation, of course.

They all had 40-50% drops on relegation to L1, so certainly weren't on Championship contracts. Skuse even took a pay cut on that for his 1 year extension last summer. And Judge signed when we were in L1.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2021 15:45]
Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 15:59 - Jul 30 with 3758 viewsxrayspecs

Not a chance.

Sears, Chambers, Skuse would have been on low thousands per week. Judge possibly higher.

We have been offering up to £10k per week for new signings.

There is a reason we are competitive in this transfer window, it is because we are paying a lot higher wages than we have done in recent seasons.

Having a smaller squad helps on overall budget, but the idea that our wages bill has not increased this seasons is I suspect very fanciful.

Similar comment on transfer fees. While Ashton was right to state that we have got monies in for some players (Doz £1m, Gibbs 500k?, small fees for some others), these are highly likely not to cover our fees to date (Burns, Hladky and Harper circa £250k each, Edmundson, Frazer and Chaplin circs £750k each).
Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 16:04 - Jul 30 with 3706 viewsAsa

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 15:43 - Jul 30 by tractorboy1978

They all had 40-50% drops on relegation to L1, so certainly weren't on Championship contracts. Skuse even took a pay cut on that for his 1 year extension last summer. And Judge signed when we were in L1.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2021 15:45]

There seems to some truth in the fact we are blowing other League One sides out of the water with salaries and attracting players we shouldn't be able to, whilst also not being reckless or splashing the cash to the extent other sides think we are.

If we had a number of Championship players like Chambers, Skuse, Judge or whoever on close to £10,000 a week in the division above, as you point out, once relegated, this drops to £6,000 a week for example, still top earners in the division most likely (This is just a ball park figure, I appreciate some players would be on 2/3 of this or a 1/3 of this and it varies).

So last year if we were paying someone £6,000 a week, more than double or treble the top earners at half the clubs in this division no doubt, we were already seen as one of the top clubs for paying wages. Wouldn't surprise me if the new guys have come in this season at £6,000 - £10,000 a week depending on who they are, plus very healthy bonuses if we go up (another 50% maybe).

As we all know (but this has gone unnoticed elsewhere in the division) 25 players from last year leaving, on an average of say £3,000 a week, would allow us to sign 10 players this season on £7,500 a week, if we wanted to, before we exceeded last year.

That's before you add in record shirt sales, fans being back in the stadiums and so on. In some cases that may be more than lower end Championship clubs are offering.

Ashton is doing exactly what a club this size in this division should be doing. Having a much smaller squad of better players and using the overall budget to maximise the calibre of player, using the stature and history of the club to move ahead of rivals in this division and selling the vision and the financial backing (if we go up) to move ahead of clubs higher up the pyramid.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2021 16:39]
Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 16:08 - Jul 30 with 3651 viewstractorboy1978

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 16:04 - Jul 30 by Asa

There seems to some truth in the fact we are blowing other League One sides out of the water with salaries and attracting players we shouldn't be able to, whilst also not being reckless or splashing the cash to the extent other sides think we are.

If we had a number of Championship players like Chambers, Skuse, Judge or whoever on close to £10,000 a week in the division above, as you point out, once relegated, this drops to £6,000 a week for example, still top earners in the division most likely (This is just a ball park figure, I appreciate some players would be on 2/3 of this or a 1/3 of this and it varies).

So last year if we were paying someone £6,000 a week, more than double or treble the top earners at half the clubs in this division no doubt, we were already seen as one of the top clubs for paying wages. Wouldn't surprise me if the new guys have come in this season at £6,000 - £10,000 a week depending on who they are, plus very healthy bonuses if we go up (another 50% maybe).

As we all know (but this has gone unnoticed elsewhere in the division) 25 players from last year leaving, on an average of say £3,000 a week, would allow us to sign 10 players this season on £7,500 a week, if we wanted to, before we exceeded last year.

That's before you add in record shirt sales, fans being back in the stadiums and so on. In some cases that may be more than lower end Championship clubs are offering.

Ashton is doing exactly what a club this size in this division should be doing. Having a much smaller squad of better players and using the overall budget to maximise the calibre of player, using the stature and history of the club to move ahead of rivals in this division and selling the vision and the financial backing (if we go up) to move ahead of clubs higher up the pyramid.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2021 16:39]

Yep, I think that's an accurate summation and IMO your numbers are probably about right too!
Login to get fewer ads

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 16:10 - Jul 30 with 3646 viewsgordon

Worth saying though that in each of the last few seasons we've surely blown a fair amount on loan fees and wages for loanees and from the Hurst season onwards the benefit of all those loanees to ITFC has pretty much been zero.
[Redacted] on 16:11 - Jul 30 with 3633 viewsvictorywilhappen

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 15:37 - Jul 30 by tractorboy1978

Perhaps not markedly higher but I'd wager our wage bill will be higher this season than it was last (and on fewer players). Revenue will also be up so we will be able to spend more under SCMP too.

[Redacted]
Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 16:13 - Jul 30 with 3621 viewsKeaneish

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 15:59 - Jul 30 by xrayspecs

Not a chance.

Sears, Chambers, Skuse would have been on low thousands per week. Judge possibly higher.

There is a reason we are competitive in this transfer window, it is because we are paying a lot higher wages than we have done in recent seasons.

Having a smaller squad helps on overall budget, but the idea that our wages bill has not increased this seasons is I suspect very fanciful.

Similar comment on transfer fees. While Ashton was right to state that we have got monies in for some players (Doz £1m, Gibbs 500k?, small fees for some others), these are highly likely not to cover our fees to date (Burns, Hladky and Harper circa £250k each, Edmundson, Frazer and Chaplin circs £750k each).

“Low thousands possibly higher….”
“…offering up to £10k a week”…

ALL complete speculation based on little to no evidence, which completely contradict Ashton’s statement. IMO you’re estimations are wildly inaccurate
[Post edited 30 Jul 2021 16:22]

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 16:14 - Jul 30 with 3597 viewsTomTheWriter

I can see Edmundson, Chaplin and maybe Fraser being on more than 5k a week, that’s all. Everyone else on or below that number comfortably.

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 16:23 - Jul 30 with 3490 viewsGeomorph

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 15:59 - Jul 30 by xrayspecs

Not a chance.

There is a website (salarysport.com) that lists them all. Not sure how accurate of course. Suggests huws was > 6k sears > 5k and Chambo was 4K. ??? Probably bollox or guesses
Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 16:24 - Jul 30 with 3482 viewstractorboy1978

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 16:14 - Jul 30 by TomTheWriter

I can see Edmundson, Chaplin and maybe Fraser being on more than 5k a week, that’s all. Everyone else on or below that number comfortably.

We've effectively bought Edmundson, Chaplin and Harper out of contracts at Rangers, Barnsley and West Brom. They won't be signing here for less and all will have been on £5k a week minimum. Edmundson was wanted by 3 Championship clubs. You'd imagine Chaplin/Harper would/could of had takers at that level too.

Burns had Championship interest, Fraser had Championship interest. Pigott was a free transfer with Championship interest. £5k is chicken feed at that level, even in the current market. Whatever way you cut it, whether it be in wages or signing fees, there are here on very good money.

Evans, turned down a new deal at Wigan who are paying very well this summer to come here. Bonne, we will be paying his Championship QPR wages I imagine. There's no reason for them to loan him here if we aren't covering them (possibly + some).

Penney and Hladky I imagine you are right.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2021 16:28]
Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 16:25 - Jul 30 with 3473 viewsParsley

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 16:13 - Jul 30 by Keaneish

ALL complete speculation based on little to no evidence, which completely contradict Ashton’s statement. IMO you’re estimations are wildly inaccurate

Basically no-one knows, we'll only find out when the accounts are released in a year or two. But we have had about 20 players out and 10 in so even if the individual salaries are higher the overall amount might not be that different
Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 16:26 - Jul 30 with 3475 viewschicoazul

We offered Bradley 13k a week by very informed accounts, which is loads more than anyone at Ipswich was on last season. No way will Piggott and Chaplin be on less than 10. I expect our wage bill to be enormously bigger than last year.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 16:50 - Jul 30 with 3247 viewsxrayspecs

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 16:13 - Jul 30 by Keaneish

Chambers salary was reported in the EADT a few years ago, £6k/week, this was before any relegation clause kicked in (-40%?). The other senior pros would have been on similar money. Judge came from Brentford who at the time were not top payers, so could be similar monies.

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ipswich-town-captain-luke-chambers-fined-by-c

Karl Robinson has been quoted that top clubs in L1 are offering £10k/week for defenders (Burns?)

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/19469803.managers-said-crazy-spending-leag

Town reportedly offered Sonny Bradley £13k/week.

Danny Cowley also quoted this week that the top clubs in this division are offering double the top end salaries that were available a couple of years ago. We know top end salaries were around £5-6k in L1 two years ago (Deloitte survey).

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/portsmouth-boss-cowley-on-league-one-s

So, I stand by what I posted previously.
Wage Cap on 16:53 - Jul 30 with 3221 viewsunstableblue

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 16:26 - Jul 30 by chicoazul

We offered Bradley 13k a week by very informed accounts, which is loads more than anyone at Ipswich was on last season. No way will Piggott and Chaplin be on less than 10. I expect our wage bill to be enormously bigger than last year.

Can it be with the wage cap:

League One will revert to the previous Salary Cost Management Protocol (SCMP). In League One, clubs can spend up to 60 per cent of turnover on player-related expenditure, which excludes players under the age of 21.

They receive sanctions for exceeding the SCMP requirement or late submission.

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 16:53 - Jul 30 with 3209 viewsxrayspecs

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 16:26 - Jul 30 by chicoazul

Completely agree.
Wage Cap on 17:00 - Jul 30 with 3137 viewsxrayspecs

Wage Cap on 16:53 - Jul 30 by unstableblue

League One will revert to the previous Salary Cost Management Protocol (SCMP). In League One, clubs can spend up to 60 per cent of turnover on player-related expenditure, which excludes players under the age of 21.

Yes

Turnover will include the monies the new ownership group have put into the club this summer. This will enable us to spend more on salaries than would otherwise be possible. Ashton spoke last night about the budget for this year enabling us to be" competitive"

An oddity of SCMP is that transfer fees spent are not counted as part of the cap, but transfer income can be added to turnover. So the circa £3m spent to date on fees is ignored but the circa £2m - from Dozzell, Gibbs and other smaller fees can be added towards wages.

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php
Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 17:03 - Jul 30 with 3093 viewsPhilTWTD

Huws, I would guess, was probably the highest-paid player that moved on this summer.
Pre-covid numbers on 17:05 - Jul 30 with 3072 viewsunstableblue

Wage Cap on 16:53 - Jul 30 by unstableblue

Our annual turnover before Covid was £18m (previous season with fans in ground); wage bill with Div 1 wages had dropped to £12.9m.

So we were already perhaps breaking the new salary cap being at 70% on player costs as opposed to the demanded 60%

Now all these numbers need to be taken with a massive pinch of salt.

But as per Ashton comments, its perhaps its the volume of outgoing players that may be allowing us to balance the books...

Still perhaps we are offering 10k a week on the new 10 players?! which in a streamlined squad is possible

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 17:05 - Jul 30 with 3069 viewsTomTheWriter

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 16:24 - Jul 30 by tractorboy1978

We've effectively bought Edmundson, Chaplin and Harper out of contracts at Rangers, Barnsley and West Brom. They won't be signing here for less and all will have been on £5k a week minimum. Edmundson was wanted by 3 Championship clubs. You'd imagine Chaplin/Harper would/could of had takers at that level too.

Burns had Championship interest, Fraser had Championship interest. Pigott was a free transfer with Championship interest. £5k is chicken feed at that level, even in the current market. Whatever way you cut it, whether it be in wages or signing fees, there are here on very good money.

Evans, turned down a new deal at Wigan who are paying very well this summer to come here. Bonne, we will be paying his Championship QPR wages I imagine. There's no reason for them to loan him here if we aren't covering them (possibly + some).

Penney and Hladky I imagine you are right.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2021 16:28]

Edmundson and Chaplin are probably the only signings who were on more money at their previous clubs than any of ours were last season. Although, wouldn’t expect Chaplin was on that much money, because Barnsley got where they were like we did under Mick. Hard work, tough nature. Not expensive signings?

Burns was in a cash-strapped Fleetwood side. Would have been on 1-2k a week, that’s just how it is for teams that don’t reach the Championship. Pigott was with cash strapped AFC Wimbledon, and never signed an extension after he joined from National League Maidstone, would have been on 1-2k a week there. Fraser joined MK Dons very, very late in October last season, and had to drop his wage demands SIGNIFICANTLY to join them, you’ll see that a lot in the next month.

Evans is probably pushing 5-6k a week, because he would have had a big wage drop last season due to relegation and administration. Bonne I’ve no idea how that loan works out wages wise.

Hladky was League 2 money, probably on same as Holy is now. Penney and Harper are further unknowns because they came from bigger clubs, i’d assume the former is very low because he wants near their first team.

Every player is probably on more money than there previous club, but some of them not by much. We didn’t get Burns because we offered huge wages, we got him because Coventry didn’t pay the transfer fee. We could have offered Burns £2.5k a week and he still would have joined.

I think we’ve offered FAR LESS money to players than Wigan have. They went with League One level, prime ages, stolen from direct rivals (Wyke, Power, Naylor, Edwards, Whatmough). We took the best players from smaller teams in the division (Burns, Pigott, Fraser, Hladky). I would be shocked if we’ve spent more on wages than they have, i’d argue MK have probably spent more than us on wages as well.

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 17:15 - Jul 30 with 2997 viewsEricsGate

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 16:53 - Jul 30 by xrayspecs

Completely agree.

We have reduced the squad by 26 players overall
Let’s work on an average of £2,5k per week
That’s £3,510,000 saved in wages

Then we’ve sold Dozzell plus Gibbs fee = 1.4million

That gives you income/saving of + £4,910,000

Then let’s say we’ve brought in 10 players on an average of £8k per week
That’s a cost of £4,160,000

That allows another couple of signings and we near on break even

Then there’s Flynn Downes and Jackson to depart = 1 million +
Then there’s extra season tickets sold
Then there extra shirt sales
Then there’s extra tickets sold if we do well

A healthy position I would say 👍🏼
[Post edited 30 Jul 2021 17:18]

Poll: Positive or Negative towards Paul Cook..,?

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 17:33 - Jul 30 with 2878 viewstractorboy1978

Another gem last night was Ashton clearing up ChequeBook FC by confirming... on 17:05 - Jul 30 by TomTheWriter

Edmundson and Chaplin are probably the only signings who were on more money at their previous clubs than any of ours were last season. Although, wouldn’t expect Chaplin was on that much money, because Barnsley got where they were like we did under Mick. Hard work, tough nature. Not expensive signings?

Burns was in a cash-strapped Fleetwood side. Would have been on 1-2k a week, that’s just how it is for teams that don’t reach the Championship. Pigott was with cash strapped AFC Wimbledon, and never signed an extension after he joined from National League Maidstone, would have been on 1-2k a week there. Fraser joined MK Dons very, very late in October last season, and had to drop his wage demands SIGNIFICANTLY to join them, you’ll see that a lot in the next month.

Evans is probably pushing 5-6k a week, because he would have had a big wage drop last season due to relegation and administration. Bonne I’ve no idea how that loan works out wages wise.

Hladky was League 2 money, probably on same as Holy is now. Penney and Harper are further unknowns because they came from bigger clubs, i’d assume the former is very low because he wants near their first team.

Every player is probably on more money than there previous club, but some of them not by much. We didn’t get Burns because we offered huge wages, we got him because Coventry didn’t pay the transfer fee. We could have offered Burns £2.5k a week and he still would have joined.

I think we’ve offered FAR LESS money to players than Wigan have. They went with League One level, prime ages, stolen from direct rivals (Wyke, Power, Naylor, Edwards, Whatmough). We took the best players from smaller teams in the division (Burns, Pigott, Fraser, Hladky). I would be shocked if we’ve spent more on wages than they have, i’d argue MK have probably spent more than us on wages as well.

What Fraser, Pigott, Burns were on at their previous clubs isn't relevant though. All three were wanted by Championship clubs who would have been offering Championship money even if that gap to L1 has maybe got slightly smaller this summer.

IMO 8/10 signed so far will be on over £5k a week. A few of them closer to £10k. And there is absolutely zero chance MK are spending more on wages than we have.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024