Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Transfers, a new approach 12:09 - Aug 10 with 1961 viewsgreyhound

Long gone are the days of us just letting players who we bought for good sums wind contracts down and leave on a free. Of all the new eras we have entered into the one concerning the transfer market may be our most significant to date.

Questions raised at the end of last season as we offer deals to the likes of drin an now seem to be masterplans. The evidence is clear that we were offering contracts wherever there may have been a little bit of value to be had, and while the treatment of some of these lads being frozen into the "bomb squad" has been put in to question, it's clear that the amounts of money being raised are funding the moves we are making.

Simply put Ashton is a shrewd businessman that this club has lacked since the very start of the calamatous Evans era.

That one forray into the playoffs stands out as the only moment of note in the Evans era, I already feel like I've had more excitement for town in the last 3 months than in that entire spell. We haven't even delivered results on the pitch yet.

But what for the future. Signing younger players, not splashing cash using those highly rated, utilising the enormous wage chop were benefitting from as a result of last seasons offload were putting a side together with strength in depth and resale value in key areas.

The goal is promotion and with that success could see big value returns on some of those signed. I don't want to say we will become a selling club, but I feel we are signalling the start of some tidy business returns.

My advice would be don't get a name printed on a shirt just yet, and try not to get to attached to players. I feel record incoming fees will couple success at the club joined with many years of exciting transfer window.

2 more in and we're sorted till januarary. 4 if we're lucky. Expect the outgoings to continue to rack up in the meantime.

ITFC is getting an upgrade
Transfers, a new approach on 12:16 - Aug 10 with 1888 viewspointofblue

It feels like we’re following the Brentford approach, albeit with an academy. Sign young players who maybe need a new start, build them up, give them a spotlight then sell for a profit and re-invest. For example, if they hit the heights we’d want them to, I doubt we’ll hold onto Edwards and Harper for more than a couple of seasons unless we somehow shoot straight through the Championship.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Transfers, a new approach on 12:19 - Aug 10 with 1865 viewstextbackup

"My advice would be don't get a name printed on a shirt just yet, and try not to get to attached to players."

said the other day that I expect the MA love in to go massively tits up when he sells Harper (for example) for £3 or 4m at the end of the season

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Transfers, a new approach on 12:19 - Aug 10 with 1865 viewsTomTheWriter

I think the most impressive aspect of the transfer window for us so far, is that it sounds like all of the signings we have made have been from 'Paul Cook's Wishlist'

He has such a strong knowledge of talent in England, and has had success at everywhere he has been so ex-players are desperate to play for him again. Chaplin the obvious in that.

This summer, however, makes the McCarthy-in-his-prime days even sadder, because we can all imagine the level of talent he would have convinced to join us if he was given the funds to do so.

The fact that 'Ashton's Dashboard' doesn't seem to be in play yet is very impressive, and the fact we don't seem to have any scouts or player analysts sitting around the club also shows the level of talent Cook can draw in.

If this summer is anything to go by, I can't wait for the next 3-4 windows where the focus will be on finding young, cheap talent that can be sold for huge amounts like Brentford have done so well at.

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Transfers, a new approach on 12:20 - Aug 10 with 1865 viewsitfcjoe

It's a bit crazy to suggest signing a few players is more exciting than accumulating 78 points in the 2nd tier and getting in the play offs with some excellent victories and days out in London leading us to a match against our greatest rival for a place at Wembley.

Things are all looking exciting, but can we wait until we win some games before we declare it the greatest thing ever - we simply have to get up this year

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Transfers, a new approach on 12:23 - Aug 10 with 1818 viewsKieran_Knows

Transfers, a new approach on 12:19 - Aug 10 by textbackup

"My advice would be don't get a name printed on a shirt just yet, and try not to get to attached to players."

said the other day that I expect the MA love in to go massively tits up when he sells Harper (for example) for £3 or 4m at the end of the season

'said the other day that I expect the MA love in to go massively tits up when he sells Harper (for example) for £3 or 4m at the end of the season'

The thing is, I don't mind that sort of approach. Signing young, but maybe fallen off the radar a little players like Harper for £250k odd. Couple of good seasons with us (hopefully promotion then staying up in Championship) and he'll be worth £5m+ easily.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Transfers, a new approach on 12:24 - Aug 10 with 1796 viewsCoco

Transfers, a new approach on 12:20 - Aug 10 by itfcjoe

It's a bit crazy to suggest signing a few players is more exciting than accumulating 78 points in the 2nd tier and getting in the play offs with some excellent victories and days out in London leading us to a match against our greatest rival for a place at Wembley.

Things are all looking exciting, but can we wait until we win some games before we declare it the greatest thing ever - we simply have to get up this year

And that's simply what the sole ambition is. To just have genuine ambition is actually a novel thing. And we don't HAVE to get up this year, the owners have said that is the ultimate drive but understand it will be difficult to get going after so much change. If you can't be excited by what's happening you're simply looking and waiting for the negatives.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Transfers, a new approach on 12:31 - Aug 10 with 1686 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Transfers, a new approach on 12:34 - Aug 10 with 1654 viewsDubtractor

Agreed with this. I'm hugely encouraged by what has happened so far, there appears to be a level of competence in the club that has been missing for years, but I'm holding on for a bit before I get too carried away.

Not looking to p1ss on the chips of those who are just happy to see us making positive moves, but I think some are getting a little carried away!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Login to get fewer ads

Transfers, a new approach on 12:34 - Aug 10 with 1651 viewsitfcjoe

Transfers, a new approach on 12:24 - Aug 10 by Coco

And that's simply what the sole ambition is. To just have genuine ambition is actually a novel thing. And we don't HAVE to get up this year, the owners have said that is the ultimate drive but understand it will be difficult to get going after so much change. If you can't be excited by what's happening you're simply looking and waiting for the negatives.

There isn't anyone that isn't excited - but to declare some transfer business as the most exciting thing to happen is for the birds - exciting is what happens on the pitch when these players settle in

Transfers, a new approach on 12:35 - Aug 10 with 1634 viewsitfcjoe

Transfers, a new approach on 12:31 - Aug 10 by BryanPlug

Because we had to then, but the powers that be at the club clearly didn't shar that ambition, i.e. by letting Lambert start last season as our manager

Every season in this division is a stain on the club

Transfers, a new approach on 12:39 - Aug 10 with 1575 viewsCoco

Transfers, a new approach on 12:34 - Aug 10 by itfcjoe

There isn't anyone that isn't excited - but to declare some transfer business as the most exciting thing to happen is for the birds - exciting is what happens on the pitch when these players settle in

well obviously but the whole purpose of the recruitment drive and the narrative from the club is about improving what happens on the pitch. The transfer business is massively exciting and part of the process. With patience we can get even more excited when we start getting results on the pitch. For the first time in a long, long time there is genuine desire to succeed - THAT is exciting.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Transfers, a new approach on 12:40 - Aug 10 with 1558 viewsBryanPlug

Transfers, a new approach on 12:34 - Aug 10 by itfcjoe

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Transfers, a new approach on 12:43 - Aug 10 with 1531 viewsgreyhound

Get this but I think it was the see saw balance of excitement vs dissapointment.

The joy of being top at Christmas and getting that opportunity against Norwich where I truly believed we could do it against the continual mid table broad unhappiness and dissapointment at the club with other situations such as the Keane era.

I feel positive because it feels like we're doing a football, not just blindly navigating some of the most senior levels of English football, where we were a laughing stock of our own fan base at times
Transfers, a new approach on 12:49 - Aug 10 with 1470 viewsCuffy81

Agreed it will be a different story, but when we do sell we are likely to have 3/4 replacements already lined up - unlike the Murph days where he was replaced by Leon Best on a free...

We are clearly targeting players with a resale value which can only benefit us going forward. Football has changed, very few players stay at clubs more than 3 seasons nowadays.
Transfers, a new approach on 12:52 - Aug 10 with 1441 viewspointofblue

Transfers, a new approach on 12:40 - Aug 10 by BryanPlug

I don’t think that’s necessarily fair - we more than held our own in the play offs until Smith was sent off.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Transfers, a new approach on 13:00 - Aug 10 with 1373 viewsHighgateBlue

Common sense in the real world. Agree entirely.

I am excited and optimistic for our future, but there's a big difference between being a football fan and being a transfer news fan.
Transfers, a new approach on 13:11 - Aug 10 with 1294 viewsChurchman

Transfers, a new approach on 12:40 - Aug 10 by BryanPlug

Agree with this. It is exciting. They play off season - I really enjoyed some of our obvious away performances and the home games against Leeds and Middlesbrough in particular. Many games though were a grind. At Christmas I thought we were going places with a little bit of strengthening. But nope, no strengthening and the season dribbled away. We stayed in the top six by grit and togetherness, which shows just how important that is.

However, the team really wasn’t good enough for promotion and it showed in the end. I was also uneasy with faceless Evans and the club itself. It felt like MMs ability to find a player or two was keeping it going. A house of cards. The final nail was the Brighton game early the following season. We were beaten so badly it beggared belief and it was clear where it was all heading.

Today the club feels like it’s being reborn. Years of hanging on and trailing after other teams’ dross, panic loans, windbag Lambo, diddy Hurst, bigging up younger players for whom it was too soon or they were not good enough (see Lee and Dyer), faceless stooges like Clegg and Milne spouting rubbish. All in the past.

It is possibly wishful thinking but it feels like we are truly building something for the first time in too many years.
Transfers, a new approach on 13:15 - Aug 10 with 1276 viewsitfcjoe

Transfers, a new approach on 13:00 - Aug 10 by HighgateBlue

Common sense in the real world. Agree entirely.

I am excited and optimistic for our future, but there's a big difference between being a football fan and being a transfer news fan.

Give me 2 wins from the Premier League over an exciting summer of transfers

Transfers, a new approach on 13:36 - Aug 10 with 1169 viewsHighgateBlue

Transfers, a new approach on 13:15 - Aug 10 by itfcjoe

Or even the 1-1 draw with Man Utd when Wilnis scored!
Transfers, a new approach on 17:37 - Aug 10 with 895 viewsBaggio_is_magic

“My advice would be don't get a name printed on a shirt just yet”

Do you know something, Mr Greyhound?
Transfers, a new approach on 18:22 - Aug 10 with 818 viewsmonty_radio

Transfers, a new approach on 13:15 - Aug 10 by itfcjoe

Not comparable entities though, are they. We need the sort of injection we're seeing before even a stable Championship season can be a feasible proposition. While I get the bit about excitement on the pitch for a few giddy weeks 6+ years ago the end of it all was the same old triumph of hopelessness over expectation.

And yes, while the gut said we were matching Norwich till that Smith dismissal it was always a pleasant surprise, and a bubble that would probably have burst in a different way if it hadn't have been popped in the emotional way it was.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Transfers, a new approach on 18:33 - Aug 10 with 772 viewschrismakin

Hes must sold Bomb squad Downes for nearly 2. May want to add a bit to that valuation for Harper :)

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Transfers, a new approach on 18:33 - Aug 10 with 772 viewsBlueschev

Transfers, a new approach on 18:22 - Aug 10 by monty_radio

Not comparable entities though, are they. We need the sort of injection we're seeing before even a stable Championship season can be a feasible proposition. While I get the bit about excitement on the pitch for a few giddy weeks 6+ years ago the end of it all was the same old triumph of hopelessness over expectation.

And yes, while the gut said we were matching Norwich till that Smith dismissal it was always a pleasant surprise, and a bubble that would probably have burst in a different way if it hadn't have been popped in the emotional way it was.

Point of order, it was Berra who was sent off. Smith equalised shortly afterwards.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024