Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Woolfenden 09:39 - Aug 17 with 3219 viewsGrumpy_Old_Man

I see he seems to have become the latest target for constant criticism.

What he needs, and he's still young and learning, is a regular CB partner with who he can build a partnership.

From memory he played alongside:

Chambers
Wilson
McGuiness
Nsiala
Donacien
Ndaba
+ anyone i've missed

I feel quite sure we will see his full potential given time.
Woolfenden on 12:24 - Aug 17 with 749 viewsblueislander

Woolfenden on 11:07 - Aug 17 by itfcpaul

It' snot what you do right in a game as a defender it's what you do wrong and he hasnt been good enough, example being Toto, he could play amazingly well for 89 minutes but make a mistake and thats all you hear about.............

When Russell Osman first broke into the first team, and made costly errors, but Robson saw the footballer in him, and persevered.
Woolfenden on 12:46 - Aug 17 with 719 viewsjayessess

IMO many people filter how they watch games through a sort of "criticism hierarchy". After about 25 games in the first team academy-produced players shoot straight to the top of that hierarchy and lots of people can only see the negative in what they do.

"Casual" feels like something that's stuck to him, but I struggle to reconcile that with much of what I've seen in the last 3 games. He's seen plenty of the ball and generally moved it with purpose. He got caught in possession after a hospital ball from Penney and was punished for it, but that was more of a instant mis-judgement than anything.

"Physically weak", well I don't think that's what I saw on Saturday really. We played a team that were very physical, athletic and direct, who hurled a tonne of long throws and set pieces into our box, but we've not conceded to that, we've conceded to quick counters whilst our full backs were up the pitch.

Both just seem like things that have stuck to him and drums that people will beat whenever we lose with him in the defence.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Woolfenden on 13:08 - Aug 17 with 695 viewsSteve_M

Woolfenden on 12:11 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

I spoke to a former player who shall remain nameless on Sunday and said how KVY had struggled vs Akins - his reply that Akins was a beast and if you don't dominate him physically he will get his tail up and just run all over you - which is a fairly accurate summation of what happened.

KVY was disappointing, but Akins was excellent going both ways - not ideal to see but in games that are more stretched you'd hope to see his confidence go up. The midfield 2 need to sniff danger out a bit better when he goes though

Yes, Akins was really good on Saturday. Strong, direct and made the key pass at the right time for both goals. That was definitely one key determinant in how the match went.

I did KVY was a big slow in his first couple of matches back last year but improved after that so hoping it is the same this season.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Woolfenden on 13:22 - Aug 17 with 670 viewsmeekreech

Woolfenden on 12:15 - Aug 17 by BlueBadger

In all fairness, he's probably had little to no actual proper coaching since he broke through.

He would probably benefit from some support and coaching from someone like mick McCarthy who knows a bit about centre back requirements.

Poll: who do you see as next manager ?

Woolfenden on 13:38 - Aug 17 with 646 viewsitfcjoe

Woolfenden on 12:46 - Aug 17 by jayessess

IMO many people filter how they watch games through a sort of "criticism hierarchy". After about 25 games in the first team academy-produced players shoot straight to the top of that hierarchy and lots of people can only see the negative in what they do.

"Casual" feels like something that's stuck to him, but I struggle to reconcile that with much of what I've seen in the last 3 games. He's seen plenty of the ball and generally moved it with purpose. He got caught in possession after a hospital ball from Penney and was punished for it, but that was more of a instant mis-judgement than anything.

"Physically weak", well I don't think that's what I saw on Saturday really. We played a team that were very physical, athletic and direct, who hurled a tonne of long throws and set pieces into our box, but we've not conceded to that, we've conceded to quick counters whilst our full backs were up the pitch.

Both just seem like things that have stuck to him and drums that people will beat whenever we lose with him in the defence.

Interesting to look on WhoScored.com at his profile

Strengths
Passing - Strong
Ball interception - Strong
Tackling - Strong
Concentration - Strong

Weaknesses
(Player has no significant weaknesses)

For our other defenders it is this:
Nsiala
Strengths
Aerial Duels Strong
Ball interception Strong
Blocking the ball Strong
Tackling Strong

Weaknesses
Concentration Weak

Donacien
Strengths
Dribbling Strong
Tackling Strong
Blocking the ball Strong

Weaknesses
Passing Weak

Cameron Burgess
Strengths
Aerial Duels Very Strong
Tackling Strong
Ball interception Strong
Blocking the ball Strong

Weaknesses
Passing Weak
Crossing Weak
Holding on to the ball Weak
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 13:40]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Woolfenden on 14:03 - Aug 17 with 591 viewschrismakin

Woolfenden on 13:38 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

Interesting to look on WhoScored.com at his profile

Strengths
Passing - Strong
Ball interception - Strong
Tackling - Strong
Concentration - Strong

Weaknesses
(Player has no significant weaknesses)

For our other defenders it is this:
Nsiala
Strengths
Aerial Duels Strong
Ball interception Strong
Blocking the ball Strong
Tackling Strong

Weaknesses
Concentration Weak

Donacien
Strengths
Dribbling Strong
Tackling Strong
Blocking the ball Strong

Weaknesses
Passing Weak

Cameron Burgess
Strengths
Aerial Duels Very Strong
Tackling Strong
Ball interception Strong
Blocking the ball Strong

Weaknesses
Passing Weak
Crossing Weak
Holding on to the ball Weak
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 13:40]

"(Player has no significant weaknesses)"

So ignore it then as he definitely does. If he didn't he wouldn't be playing for ITFC same for everyone else

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Woolfenden on 14:16 - Aug 17 with 578 viewsSteve_M

Woolfenden on 14:03 - Aug 17 by chrismakin

So ignore it then as he definitely does. If he didn't he wouldn't be playing for ITFC same for everyone else

Why don't you wait to see how often Cook plays him, that way you can decide easily if you think he is any good or not.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Woolfenden on 14:36 - Aug 17 with 559 viewsEsseeja

We can't look for scapegoats on why he's not a good player anymore.
Wilson was very good and, apart from Nsiala, the only good CB he's played next to for me, but Woolfy himself isn't good enough, it's not about partnerships for me, it's about individual ability and throughout last season he constantly let me down, I am trying to give him a clean slate this season but he needs dropping at the moment as a wake up call.
Login to get fewer ads

Woolfenden on 14:41 - Aug 17 with 541 viewsEsseeja

Woolfenden on 12:46 - Aug 17 by jayessess

He lost too many aerial battles against a guy who was smaller than him vs Morecambe, I'd say physically weak is actually a good judgement.
I really REALLY want him to shine, he showed how good he was when he was breaking out of the academy, but he's been coached so poorly and as a result has been playing really poorly as well.
Woolfenden on 14:48 - Aug 17 with 523 viewschrismakin

Woolfenden on 14:16 - Aug 17 by Steve_M

Why don't you wait to see how often Cook plays him, that way you can decide easily if you think he is any good or not.

Personally i just think Wolfy needs an older partner next to him, well hoping that's the case

My reply to joe was just based on the website he mentioned. Wolfy certainly does have weaknesses, but so does everyone else at this level

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Woolfenden on 14:49 - Aug 17 with 528 viewsitfcjoe

Woolfenden on 14:41 - Aug 17 by Esseeja

He lost too many aerial battles against a guy who was smaller than him vs Morecambe, I'd say physically weak is actually a good judgement.
I really REALLY want him to shine, he showed how good he was when he was breaking out of the academy, but he's been coached so poorly and as a result has been playing really poorly as well.

Our centre backs only had 11 headers to win vs Morecambe between them - Nsiala won 3/3, Woolfenden 2/5 and Donacien 1/3. Cole Stockton is taller than him also

A CB losing 3 headers in 90 minutes is hardly a big deal - he won 7 of 9 v Burton who bombarded us with long throws etc

Woolfenden on 14:59 - Aug 17 with 511 viewsMullet

Woolfenden on 11:23 - Aug 17 by Steve_M

Indeed, he won a load of good early defensive headers on Saturday. The goals conceded were organisational failings, not individual errors unless we want to count KVY getting caught upfield or Evans' overly ambitious pass for the second one.

Far too much is made of the second Morecombe goal, a bad mistake but just that not indicative of all the other failings ascribed to LW. He was crap last season but came back well at the end of it.

Him, Burgess and Edmundson looks like a good set of defenders for this level with Toto & Donacien as back up.

I think also missing KVY and Wilson whilst having to spend so long as the senior defender was massively overlooked.

Had he partnered Chambers or another instead of a kid from Arsenal (who had more than too many ricks in his game because of it) he'd not have been tarred like this. It's a real shame to see so many of "our own" being shat on lately.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Woolfenden on 15:10 - Aug 17 with 496 viewsMullet

Woolfenden on 14:49 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

Our centre backs only had 11 headers to win vs Morecambe between them - Nsiala won 3/3, Woolfenden 2/5 and Donacien 1/3. Cole Stockton is taller than him also

A CB losing 3 headers in 90 minutes is hardly a big deal - he won 7 of 9 v Burton who bombarded us with long throws etc

Plus our bigger problems came when Evans and KVY gifted Burton the opening for their first and likewise Penney did him dirty with the pass for Morecambe's second.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Woolfenden on 15:23 - Aug 17 with 467 viewsEsseeja

Woolfenden on 14:49 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

I stand corrected but I still don't think he shouldn't be blamed for the second goal. Our fullbacks are currently the biggest worry to me.

If we are judging headers off of long throws though, every team in the championship who ever faced Knudsen's long throws would be having a field day with their successful headers won ratio.
Woolfenden on 15:27 - Aug 17 with 458 viewsitfcjoe

Woolfenden on 15:23 - Aug 17 by Esseeja

I stand corrected but I still don't think he shouldn't be blamed for the second goal. Our fullbacks are currently the biggest worry to me.

If we are judging headers off of long throws though, every team in the championship who ever faced Knudsen's long throws would be having a field day with their successful headers won ratio.

He should be blamed for the second goal, it was a pretty rubbish ball back to him and put him under a lot of pressure but he didn't deal with it and was punished

Woolfenden on 16:05 - Aug 17 with 411 viewsjayessess

Woolfenden on 14:41 - Aug 17 by Esseeja

This is a good example of what I'm talking about. There is a narrative about Woolfenden and you've re-constructed a largely fictional version of the Morecambe game around it.

Reality? Morecambe retained possession in an aerial duel with Woolfenden once in the whole game. Stockton wins a deflected high ball he's easily favourite for anyway in the 80th minute, but Morecambe made nothing of it. Which you'd expect because Morecambe scored with their only 2 shots on goal, neither of which resulted from Woolfenden losing a header. Yet somehow you've got the impression he's been physically dominated by a smaller (actually taller) striker? It's like people have to re-trace the same narratives every time something goes wrong, regardless of what's actually happened.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Woolfenden on 18:57 - Aug 17 with 333 viewsreusersfreekicks

Woolfenden on 14:03 - Aug 17 by chrismakin

Maybe it's contextualised for the level they play at
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024