Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Biden 12:13 - Aug 17 with 2669 viewsGlasgowBlue

Americans should not die in a war that the afghan army aren’t willing to fight for themselves.

50,000 Afghan troops have died fighting the Taliban in the last 7 years. In that same period the Americans have lost 270 military personnel. Each one obviously a tragedy.

There have been no American deaths in Afghanistan since February 2020. A small presence with air support would have ensured continued safety for the Afghan people.

Meet the new boss.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Biden on 12:14 - Aug 17 with 2037 viewsitfcjoe

Biden is handling this so poorly, showing a total lack of empathy and understanding of what is going on - America First.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Biden on 12:23 - Aug 17 with 1971 viewsGlasgowBlue

Biden on 12:14 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

Biden is handling this so poorly, showing a total lack of empathy and understanding of what is going on - America First.

The Taliban has now surrounded the airport. How do we give safe passage to the people we need to get out now. The whole thing is an absolute mess. Biden is a disaster on this. Johnson didn’t once question either Trump or Biden over the withdrawal.

Iron Lion Zion

Biden on 12:23 - Aug 17 with 1967 viewsHARRY10

at last something the righties can boo Biden for

not saving the lives of Afghanis, who the righties have spent much of their time calling them illegal immigrants when they tried to reach the safety of the UK

the stench of rightie hypocrisy is never far away
Biden on 12:28 - Aug 17 with 1918 viewsIllinoisblue

Are those numbers verified? 50,000 Afghan deaths with Uncle Sam acting as the world’s police force suggest they’re not doing a very good job.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Biden on 12:28 - Aug 17 with 1913 viewsitfcjoe

Biden on 12:23 - Aug 17 by GlasgowBlue

The Taliban has now surrounded the airport. How do we give safe passage to the people we need to get out now. The whole thing is an absolute mess. Biden is a disaster on this. Johnson didn’t once question either Trump or Biden over the withdrawal.

Patel and Raab not covered themselves in glory either - they seem to be dragging their feet but if they don't act now then more and more people will die.

There are a few who have been on the ground or understand that situation, at least Ben Wallace has a proper voice, as Tugendhat and Mercer in background but speaking lots of sense.

The way you hear Biden talk about this is shocking, it's almost what you'd expect someone like Farage to sound like.

Biden on 12:32 - Aug 17 with 1865 viewsGlasgowBlue

Biden on 12:23 - Aug 17 by HARRY10

at last something the righties can boo Biden for

not saving the lives of Afghanis, who the righties have spent much of their time calling them illegal immigrants when they tried to reach the safety of the UK

the stench of rightie hypocrisy is never far away

Not sure what your point is H?

Righties, lefties and centrist dads should be booing Biden, Johnson and all the other NATO leaders. We’ve let these poor people down very badly. Absolutely shameful.

Iron Lion Zion

Biden on 12:33 - Aug 17 with 1854 viewsJ2BLUE

I want to say I can't believe we haven't got the interpreters and Afghans who helped us, out of the country.

But I can. It's sickening.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Biden on 13:09 - Aug 17 with 1681 viewsSteve_M

Aside from it being a disastrous, morally vacuous clusterfk, I thought there was a lot of truth in this:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/08/afghanistan-your-fault/619769/

But, yes, in the short to medium term there was little need for this. There is a probably a longer-term question though to which there isn't an easy answer.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Biden on 13:10 - Aug 17 with 1667 viewsHARRY10

Biden on 12:32 - Aug 17 by GlasgowBlue

Righties, lefties and centrist dads should be booing Biden, Johnson and all the other NATO leaders. We’ve let these poor people down very badly. Absolutely shameful.

but, unsurprisingly, not the man who set this in motion ........Trump

Trump who negotiated with the Taliban, not the Afghan government. In a move intended to increase his popularity at home, not work towards peace in that country.

To try to attach blame to NATO shows not only a limited grasp if this situation, but a fairly clumsy attempt to distract from the real cause.... Trump.

If you have the time, and interest, I suggest you read -

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/04/973604904/trumps-deal-to-end-war-in-afghanistan-l
Biden on 13:32 - Aug 17 with 1556 viewsjaykay

Biden on 12:28 - Aug 17 by Illinoisblue

Are those numbers verified? 50,000 Afghan deaths with Uncle Sam acting as the world’s police force suggest they’re not doing a very good job.

i think a certain retired colonel richard kemp has given them figures out.
by the look of his wikipedia page and twitter he very active in several fields from brexit to honouring the brave.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Biden on 13:34 - Aug 17 with 1536 viewsElderGrizzly

Of course, you have half of America also believing this and that Trump is boasting of binding Biden to a certain exit strategy

There are no winners here. Apart from the Taliban of course
Biden on 13:36 - Aug 17 with 1523 viewsElderGrizzly

Biden on 12:28 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

Patel and Raab not covered themselves in glory either - they seem to be dragging their feet but if they don't act now then more and more people will die.

There are a few who have been on the ground or understand that situation, at least Ben Wallace has a proper voice, as Tugendhat and Mercer in background but speaking lots of sense.

The way you hear Biden talk about this is shocking, it's almost what you'd expect someone like Farage to sound like.

Biden gets elected by Americans, not anyone else sadly.

And withdrawing from Afghanistan is VERY popular as a move in the USA.

The insular approach is the same reason the US borders are still shut to the majority of the world too on Covid.
Biden on 13:41 - Aug 17 with 1497 viewsElderGrizzly

Biden on 13:34 - Aug 17 by ElderGrizzly

Of course, you have half of America also believing this and that Trump is boasting of binding Biden to a certain exit strategy

There are no winners here. Apart from the Taliban of course

And of course now, Trump's goons are trying to spin (badly)

Biden on 13:41 - Aug 17 with 1497 viewsblueislander

W hat that shows is the military strength of the Taliban. In 20 years of “war” they appear stronger than ever. The biggest error of US and NATO was to underestimate this. The only way they could have been defeated would have been through a massive military campaign. Who would have supported that?
Biden on 13:44 - Aug 17 with 1486 viewsBloomBlue

The first thing Biden did when he came President was overturn a load of Trump policies he could have changed the withdraw from Afghanistan. Yesterday he said ‘the buck stops with me’ over this and then immediately passed the buck to the Afghans government and anyone else other than himself.
Biden on 13:46 - Aug 17 with 1471 viewsElderGrizzly

Biden on 13:44 - Aug 17 by BloomBlue

The first thing Biden did when he came President was overturn a load of Trump policies he could have changed the withdraw from Afghanistan. Yesterday he said ‘the buck stops with me’ over this and then immediately passed the buck to the Afghans government and anyone else other than himself.

Trump is boasting how he had tied Biden's hands on this.

It has been 18 months in the planning. Clearly not as simple as Biden turning it off.

But as I said, Biden is a very insular President right now.
Biden on 13:52 - Aug 17 with 1429 viewsGlasgowBlue

Biden on 13:10 - Aug 17 by HARRY10

but, unsurprisingly, not the man who set this in motion ........Trump

Trump who negotiated with the Taliban, not the Afghan government. In a move intended to increase his popularity at home, not work towards peace in that country.

To try to attach blame to NATO shows not only a limited grasp if this situation, but a fairly clumsy attempt to distract from the real cause.... Trump.

If you have the time, and interest, I suggest you read -

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/04/973604904/trumps-deal-to-end-war-in-afghanistan-l

Yes Trump as well.

Afghanistan by GlasgowBlue 13 Aug 2021 9:31
This is a massive stain on what has been an impeccable first year as President for Biden. And it will get worse for him when the first images of young girls with their eyes gouged out for trying to get an education are all over our TV screens.

Rory Stewart is a vital read on this subject. It’s a country he knows well and understands the politics behind what’s going on.

He points out that NATO did not need to leave so recklessly and suddenly. And that air support was vital, relatively low risk, and sustainable.

Edit. Should have pointed out that it was Trump who set the ball rolling by setting a date of May 1 for all US troops withdrawing but Biden could have and should have reversed this policy. As he has so many other of Trumps lunacy.

But fixating on Trump is excusing the here and now.

But if you want to go back way before Trump, this is Biden in 2010.

Iron Lion Zion

Biden on 13:54 - Aug 17 with 1425 viewsBlueBadger

Biden on 13:46 - Aug 17 by ElderGrizzly

Trump is boasting how he had tied Biden's hands on this.

It has been 18 months in the planning. Clearly not as simple as Biden turning it off.

But as I said, Biden is a very insular President right now.

Win-win as far as he's concerned - gets to have a go at Biden AND lots of brown people will suffer horribly.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Biden on 14:03 - Aug 17 with 1379 viewsDanTheMan

Biden on 13:52 - Aug 17 by GlasgowBlue

Yes Trump as well.

Afghanistan by GlasgowBlue 13 Aug 2021 9:31
This is a massive stain on what has been an impeccable first year as President for Biden. And it will get worse for him when the first images of young girls with their eyes gouged out for trying to get an education are all over our TV screens.

Rory Stewart is a vital read on this subject. It’s a country he knows well and understands the politics behind what’s going on.

He points out that NATO did not need to leave so recklessly and suddenly. And that air support was vital, relatively low risk, and sustainable.

Edit. Should have pointed out that it was Trump who set the ball rolling by setting a date of May 1 for all US troops withdrawing but Biden could have and should have reversed this policy. As he has so many other of Trumps lunacy.

But fixating on Trump is excusing the here and now.

But if you want to go back way before Trump, this is Biden in 2010.

I think this is a key point, the problem is that a majority of Americans probably support this. A lot of Republicans are trying to pretend otherwise but I imagine a lot of their voters probably don't overly care about things like this.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Biden on 14:06 - Aug 17 with 1369 viewswkj

It was very Trump-like how this played out. What I feel he meant to say didn't come out at all the way he said it. Just goes to show you that the Afghanistan situation is, and always has been, a situation where there are no right answers and several hundred terrible ones.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Biden on 14:27 - Aug 17 with 1295 viewsSteve_M

This is also worth reading, note the date it was written:

https://blog.politics.ox.ac.uk/the-doha-agreement-what-happens-next/

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Biden on 14:32 - Aug 17 with 1271 viewsitfcjoe

Biden on 14:32 - Aug 17 with 1257 viewssolomon

Biden on 13:41 - Aug 17 by blueislander

W hat that shows is the military strength of the Taliban. In 20 years of “war” they appear stronger than ever. The biggest error of US and NATO was to underestimate this. The only way they could have been defeated would have been through a massive military campaign. Who would have supported that?

If history has taught us anything it’s that these type of insurgents on home soil and with robust belief in their cause are almost impossible to defeat. For all our sacrifices and then effort to build and bolster an Afghan army, it seems to have capitulated with alarming speed, it appears there is no stomach for resistance, the Afghans have seen enough bloodshed but I doubt it’s over for them like this.
Biden on 14:43 - Aug 17 with 1219 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Biden on 12:32 - Aug 17 by GlasgowBlue

Well said Glassers

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Biden on 15:17 - Aug 17 with 1119 viewsElephantintheRoom

Twisting the great man's words a tad perhaps? IF the Afghans were remotely interested in the deluded vision of what the USA or indeed the UK thinks the country could be, don't you think the entire country would have held out against a few thousand men with beards on pick-up trucks for more than two days?

Every indication is that nobody wanted imperialist interference in the country - not Afghanistan, nor any neighbouring countries - nor indeed the people of the invading nations..

I think you'll find the vast majority of Americans, Brits and Afghanis are as one on this little conundrum - it was madness to invade - and insanity to hang around for twenty years trying to do the impossible.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024