Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Overreaction to Saturday? 10:23 - Oct 4 with 3891 viewskizaitfc

Yes we want to be winning these games and keeping form is important. But I guarantee we will not be the only team to lose away to Accrington.

The overall view needs to include a few more games, now Cook seems to have a full squad which based on the Doncaster game has started to click. If we cant come away from our next 3 games with say 6-7 points then we can question it what Cook is doing and the system he plays.

You can't hammer a manager and a team for one poor performance like that, if the same happens again Saturday then fair enough the team and manager should come in for some criticism. Before someone mentions games at start of the season, I am ignoring the games prior to Lincoln as a) I don't think we had a settled side particularly at the back and b) it was always going to take a while to click/gel going forwards.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:17 - Oct 4 with 937 viewspatrickswell

Overreaction to Saturday? on 10:30 - Oct 4 by kizaitfc

"All season"

We have played 10 games!

The team has only been unchanged once in that period, Cook needs to work out his best team and get them playing. And yes that needs to happen very soon, I get that, but after a great performance Tuesday night we cant just say "oh it's all gone to sh*t again" after one game.

From this point Cook needs to prove the Accrington game is the anomaly and not the Doncaster game

His team walloped the bottom of the table side and gave him the footballing equivalent of a sympathy f**k at the end of a horrible week for him with the win at Lincoln.

Take those factors out of the season, and Saturday's game was a reversion to type under Cook this season and last.
Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:20 - Oct 4 with 923 viewspatrickswell

Overreaction to Saturday? on 10:42 - Oct 4 by kizaitfc

I am not saying Cook is doing a great job, I am saying lets hold off on our judgement.

If it really was the start of the clicking together last Tuesday then we should see signs of that on Saturday.

Lets not just right it off because f the bad performance Saturday

So we can only accept the chance of us clicking every other game after a win but not in consecutive matches because that would be selfish.

To be fair, your analogy works with the results from Lincoln onwards. It's just a shame that we'll likely finish on 66 points over the course of a season to embrace 10th place in League One, or as we like to call it, the new equivalent to 15th in the Championship.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2021 12:21]
Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:33 - Oct 4 with 891 viewsHerbivore

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:15 - Oct 4 by Garv

Last season and this season both come with very different contexts, but I can't argue the overall point about his record.

I'm not sure how you can state that he's 'already spectacularly failed', though. That's just over the top and plain wrong.

You asked what would be the point of sacking him if promotion is out of the window. If promotion is out of the window then he's spectacularly failed as promotion was the aim this season. I said that we're not there yet but we aren't far off with little wiggle room now because of how poor our start has been. In fact I'd stand by the idea that to date he's been a spectacular failure. Can he turn it around? We all hope so but the evidence thus far isn't convincing me.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:40 - Oct 4 with 881 viewsJackSted

"All season"

We have played 10 games!

The team has only been unchanged once in that period, Cook needs to work out his best team and get them playing. And yes that needs to happen very soon, I get that, but after a great performance Tuesday night we cant just say "oh it's all gone to sh*t again" after one game.

From this point Cook needs to prove the Accrington game is the anomaly and not the Doncaster game

Ah yes, only ten games in with 10 points.

I mean if we calculated that average points tally to the end of the season we'll finish on 46 points.

And if you were to check the 2020/21 table standings you'll see what 46 points got those teams :)
[Post edited 4 Oct 2021 12:41]

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:43 - Oct 4 with 875 viewsGarv

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:33 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

You asked what would be the point of sacking him if promotion is out of the window. If promotion is out of the window then he's spectacularly failed as promotion was the aim this season. I said that we're not there yet but we aren't far off with little wiggle room now because of how poor our start has been. In fact I'd stand by the idea that to date he's been a spectacular failure. Can he turn it around? We all hope so but the evidence thus far isn't convincing me.

If it's promotion or bust then that's a fair view, but I still don't see the point in sacking the manager just because he hasn't achieved what he wanted this season. If he get us promoted next season all will be forgotten.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:52 - Oct 4 with 841 viewsHerbivore

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:43 - Oct 4 by Garv

If it's promotion or bust then that's a fair view, but I still don't see the point in sacking the manager just because he hasn't achieved what he wanted this season. If he get us promoted next season all will be forgotten.

But you don't stick with a manager that is hugely underachieving in the hope that it might eventually come good. If we're still bumbling along as we have been for the whole of his tenure, averaging borderline relegation form, then what would be the argument to keep him here? A lot of clubs would already have pulled the trigger by now. If he fails he should go, he's failing now and he needs to change that quickly.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:57 - Oct 4 with 833 viewsreusersfreekicks

"All season"

We have played 10 games!

Just don't get it. For a certain set of supporters last season's team was the pits and had to be totally binned. Yet we were 6th when Cook took over.
Now with the new team it's ok to be just out of the relegation zone and totally incapable without Morsey.
There is no logic at all anymore
Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:59 - Oct 4 with 824 viewsIP4_Blue

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:57 - Oct 4 by reusersfreekicks

Just don't get it. For a certain set of supporters last season's team was the pits and had to be totally binned. Yet we were 6th when Cook took over.
Now with the new team it's ok to be just out of the relegation zone and totally incapable without Morsey.
There is no logic at all anymore

This
Login to get fewer ads

Overreaction to Saturday? on 13:00 - Oct 4 with 824 viewsPinewoodblue

If he fails this season he won’t deserve a second chance. It isn’t promotion or bust as bust wouldn’t be the outcome if we failed to gain promotion.

Realistically, unless we have a run of serious injuries, there is no need to add to the squad in the next transfer window. Cook has the quality of player he asked for, they just need to be more prepared for each match, and tactics to be changed at halftime if necessary.

Our best Managers have always shown the ability to shake it up tactically at halftime and turn games around. Ramsey, Robson, Lyall, Burley, Royle spring to mind. Cook has a long way to go to join them.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Overreaction to Saturday? on 13:03 - Oct 4 with 817 viewsreusersfreekicks

Cook said himself promotion needed to happen or something like that, yet so many supporters happy to piss this season away - incredible
Overreaction to Saturday? on 13:08 - Oct 4 with 795 viewsJammyDodgerrr

We really don't have this much time though. We will lose most of the squad this year if we don't go up.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Overreaction to Saturday? on 13:41 - Oct 4 with 754 viewsjayessess

Expecting managers to hit their targets seems like an entirely rational way to run a football club to me.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Overreaction to Saturday? on 15:29 - Oct 4 with 687 viewsBlueBadger

Not sacking a failing manager leads to situations like we had last season - an utterly dysfunctional club full of physically and psychologically unfit players.

Mind you, you wanted to keep Free Beer and Improved Football on, didn't you?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Overreaction to Saturday? on 15:38 - Oct 4 with 681 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Overreaction to Saturday? on 11:05 - Oct 4 by jayessess

I'm somewhere in the middle of this, really. I think Saturday was a proper hammer blow, result and performance were an unexpected kick in the nuts just when we thought we'd got the show properly on the road. Cook's got zero credit in the bank and he's right on the precipice now.

Equally, just because we got turned over on Saturday doesn't necessarily mean that the tide wasn't turning before that and those performances weren't real. Yes, Doncaster were rank, but they gave MK Dons a game later in the week, Lincoln and Wednesday weren't weak opposition either. You can only hope that Accrington is one of the final hiccups on a general incline from here onwards.

Exactly this is my thinking.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Overreaction to Saturday? on 15:42 - Oct 4 with 672 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:40 - Oct 4 by JackSted

Ah yes, only ten games in with 10 points.

I mean if we calculated that average points tally to the end of the season we'll finish on 46 points.

And if you were to check the 2020/21 table standings you'll see what 46 points got those teams :)
[Post edited 4 Oct 2021 12:41]

Yeah, but why would you extrapolate that over a full season?

As every week passes the players have more time with each other and Cook is able to drill his ideas into them. Only someone with an agenda or who is ridiculously pessimistic would think we'll be exactly the same, regularly picking up the same amount of points, in 8 months time.

Overreaction to Saturday? on 15:44 - Oct 4 with 665 viewsBlueBadger

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:52 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

But you don't stick with a manager that is hugely underachieving in the hope that it might eventually come good. If we're still bumbling along as we have been for the whole of his tenure, averaging borderline relegation form, then what would be the argument to keep him here? A lot of clubs would already have pulled the trigger by now. If he fails he should go, he's failing now and he needs to change that quickly.

Garv likes managers who have us in that kind of poor form though - look at ones he's wanted to keep and look at the one he wanted out.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Overreaction to Saturday? on 15:45 - Oct 4 with 662 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Overreaction to Saturday? on 15:38 - Oct 4 by The_Flashing_Smile

Exactly this is my thinking.

Unbelievable JackSted. You downarrow me for agreeing with someone but not the original post I was agreeing with! Agenda much?!

Overreaction to Saturday? on 15:53 - Oct 4 with 638 viewsJackSted

Overreaction to Saturday? on 15:45 - Oct 4 by The_Flashing_Smile

Unbelievable JackSted. You downarrow me for agreeing with someone but not the original post I was agreeing with! Agenda much?!

Did I? Probably misclicked lol

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Overreaction to Saturday? on 17:08 - Oct 4 with 587 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Overreaction to Saturday? on 15:53 - Oct 4 by JackSted

Did I? Probably misclicked lol

Fairy nuff. I'll let you off this time.

Overreaction to Saturday? on 17:11 - Oct 4 with 585 viewsWickets

Newport Burton Cheltenham Bolton West Ham U 21's Now Accrington .
Overreaction to Saturday? on 17:43 - Oct 4 with 556 viewsEireannach_gorm

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:13 - Oct 4 by Pinewoodblue

Norwich in the mood to slug it out for survival…..says today’s DM.

Daniel Farke was encouraged by the transformation of his Norwich players from soft touch to hard nosed.

We don’t have to do exactly this but we do need to be able to change it around when necessary. It could easy be argued that in the majority of games this season that we have failed to win that we have failed to change it when we should have.

Cook really has no excuse for the Accrington game. He has managed there he has plenty of experience of the conditions faced on Saturday. We had players on the pitch who have also played there regularly.

Cook must have known exactly how Accrington would approach the second half but there was no evidence he prepared the players, tactically, for it.

We have coaching deficiencies, we don’t need extra coaches but we do need more experience.

Cook will find himself out of a job if he doesn’t wise up. Playerwise he has the quality needed, he just needs to make better use of it and prepare better.

He has a chance tomorrow evening but suspect he will duck it and make wholesale changes.

This,100 fold.

Thats what makes Morsy's comments after the game a bit telling.Our performance did not deserve a win but if we had protected our lead and played smart football we would have won.
Overreaction to Saturday? on 18:07 - Oct 4 with 526 viewsPinewoodblue

Overreaction to Saturday? on 17:43 - Oct 4 by Eireannach_gorm

This,100 fold.

Thats what makes Morsy's comments after the game a bit telling.Our performance did not deserve a win but if we had protected our lead and played smart football we would have won.

We only had two shots against Accrington and scored from the one that was on target.. We didn't exactly go looking for a second goal. Does anyone have any idea what we were trying to do in the second half, any clues as to what the instructions were at half time?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Overreaction to Saturday? on 19:52 - Oct 4 with 490 viewsgazzer1999

Overreaction to Saturday? on 13:08 - Oct 4 by JammyDodgerrr

We really don't have this much time though. We will lose most of the squad this year if we don't go up.

Would that really be a bad thing if we lost most of the squad? hell we lost all of last seasons squad and they were performing better than this lot. They would not deserve to stay here, but I bet they won't get a better contract than they have here, and will be happy to stay and fight even if Cookie and his little troupe are gone.
What hogwash if they only came here because of Cookie, I like to think they came because they wanted to play for ITFC, maybe thats being romantic about it all, but a good contract speaks better than Cookie ever will.
Overreaction to Saturday? on 20:55 - Oct 4 with 455 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Overreaction to Saturday? on 19:52 - Oct 4 by gazzer1999

Would that really be a bad thing if we lost most of the squad? hell we lost all of last seasons squad and they were performing better than this lot. They would not deserve to stay here, but I bet they won't get a better contract than they have here, and will be happy to stay and fight even if Cookie and his little troupe are gone.
What hogwash if they only came here because of Cookie, I like to think they came because they wanted to play for ITFC, maybe thats being romantic about it all, but a good contract speaks better than Cookie ever will.

You're speaking rubbish. This squad is much better quality than last years and if we don't go up the majority will be off to better places. No way that Celina, Bonne, Chaplin, Walton, Edwards, Edmundson and so on will stay at a league one club. They'll all be off to the championship at least.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Overreaction to Saturday? on 21:03 - Oct 4 with 451 viewsgazzer1999

Overreaction to Saturday? on 20:55 - Oct 4 by JammyDodgerrr

You're speaking rubbish. This squad is much better quality than last years and if we don't go up the majority will be off to better places. No way that Celina, Bonne, Chaplin, Walton, Edwards, Edmundson and so on will stay at a league one club. They'll all be off to the championship at least.

I will bookmark this to see if you are right, however Bonne, Celina, Walton are all loans so will go back what ever. Chaplin, Edwards hardly played no big deal, Edmundson did you see him play against Bolton? I raise your talking rubbish for talking tosh.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024