Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For anyone who cares… 17:57 - Oct 16 with 2124 viewsmonytowbray

The problem today was we didn’t show up in the second half. Subs didn’t change or step up, Alonko and Fraser were more on the ball with minutes behind them than the fresh legs of Celina and Burns.

When Cambridge parked the bus at 2-1 it was always evident they’d come out flying in the last 10.

Not sure it’s much on Cook today.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 17:58]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

For anyone who cares… on 17:59 - Oct 16 with 1698 viewschrismakin

PC made the wrong subs, it's as simple as that

He also set the side up wrong during that final period when Cambridge came out from their deep counter attacking set up.

This is our problem, we expect teams to let us play 4 2 3 1 and to attack our 4 2 3 1 how we want. We don't change.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

For anyone who cares… on 18:00 - Oct 16 with 1672 viewsmonytowbray

For anyone who cares… on 17:59 - Oct 16 by chrismakin

He also set the side up wrong during that final period when Cambridge came out from their deep counter attacking set up.

This is our problem, we expect teams to let us play 4 2 3 1 and to attack our 4 2 3 1 how we want. We don't change.

No one there objected to those subs. We needed a goal. They made sense.

Captain Hindsight.

TWTD never forgets…

For anyone who cares… on 18:02 - Oct 16 with 1634 viewsWicklowBlue

For anyone who cares… on 17:59 - Oct 16 by chrismakin

Cook said he was going for a third goal to seal it. If he had tried to hang on and still conceded he would be blasted for not going on the offensive. Cook also said it's not his style to try and shore things up.
For anyone who cares… on 18:03 - Oct 16 with 1614 viewschrismakin

For anyone who cares… on 18:00 - Oct 16 by monytowbray

Captain Hindsight.

They didn't make any sense, it wasn;t a game or period of the game to bring on attacking flair players, the game wasn't open for us to do that it was the complete opposite.

It needed fight and desire, Toto for corners and deep freekicks etc.

It's not hindsight, we were all saying it during the game.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

For anyone who cares… on 18:04 - Oct 16 with 1603 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

For anyone who cares… on 18:00 - Oct 16 by monytowbray

Captain Hindsight.

I was going to say the same thing - hindsight. To have the chance to bring on Celina and Burns to stretch a tiring defence OUGHT to have worked. It was a perfectly acceptable tactic that just didn't work on this occasion.

I think our bigger issue is in defence. I don't think Burgess and Edmundson are an upgrade on what we had before, and Hladky definitely isn't. I'd rather stick Holy back in.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

For anyone who cares… on 18:05 - Oct 16 with 1580 viewsTractorWood

For anyone who cares… on 18:04 - Oct 16 by The_Flashing_Smile

I was going to say the same thing - hindsight. To have the chance to bring on Celina and Burns to stretch a tiring defence OUGHT to have worked. It was a perfectly acceptable tactic that just didn't work on this occasion.

I think our bigger issue is in defence. I don't think Burgess and Edmundson are an upgrade on what we had before, and Hladky definitely isn't. I'd rather stick Holy back in.

Hladky doesn't have a presence.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

For anyone who cares… on 18:06 - Oct 16 with 1573 viewschrismakin

For anyone who cares… on 18:02 - Oct 16 by WicklowBlue

Cook said he was going for a third goal to seal it. If he had tried to hang on and still conceded he would be blasted for not going on the offensive. Cook also said it's not his style to try and shore things up.

The game wasnt in our hands to go and get a 3rd goal

For anyone who cares… on 18:07 - Oct 16 with 1570 viewsjayessess

How is it not on Cook? He recruited the players who didn't show up, he set them up tactically, he decides what they work on in training, he issued whatever instructions were given at half-time and during the game.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

For anyone who cares… on 18:14 - Oct 16 with 1495 viewsmonytowbray

For anyone who cares… on 18:06 - Oct 16 by chrismakin

It was working until the subs. They were deep but we were pressing and getting in strong positions.

Again, hindsight.

TWTD never forgets…

For anyone who cares… on 18:15 - Oct 16 with 1488 viewsGarv

For anyone who cares… on 18:06 - Oct 16 by chrismakin

I think it was! We weren't carving them open but we were comfortable and keeping the ball in their half. Aluko and Fraser were on the ball a lot and Chaplin was a nuisance.

Subs were really odd. Unless the three of them were knackered and physically couldn't manage another 20 mins, there was no need to change it. Celina and Edwards barely touched the ball.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

For anyone who cares… on 18:16 - Oct 16 with 1471 viewschrismakin

For anyone who cares… on 18:14 - Oct 16 by monytowbray

It was working until the subs. They were deep but we were pressing and getting in strong positions.

Again, hindsight.

No, they were deep and controlling us the way they wanted, even PC confirms we didn't hurt them.

PC even acknowledges their dangers with corners etc..

so again, why leave toto on the bench then.

It's not hindsight, it's called management.

For anyone who cares… on 18:22 - Oct 16 with 1418 viewsMarkoW1

For anyone who cares… on 18:14 - Oct 16 by monytowbray

Again, hindsight.

It was working until the subs
Can’t just blame the defence though - look at the stats- how many shots did we have- should we/ could we have done better and put the game to bed much earlier on in the game?
For anyone who cares… on 18:24 - Oct 16 with 1403 viewsmonytowbray

For anyone who cares… on 18:16 - Oct 16 by chrismakin

No, they were deep and controlling us the way they wanted, even PC confirms we didn't hurt them.

Mate did you go today? As everyone on this thread has told you you’re being Captain Hindsight.

Or were you the one person who boo’ed the subs?

TWTD never forgets…

For anyone who cares… on 18:27 - Oct 16 with 1377 viewschrismakin

For anyone who cares… on 18:24 - Oct 16 by monytowbray

Mate did you go today? As everyone on this thread has told you you’re being Captain Hindsight.

Or were you the one person who boo’ed the subs?

I watched it yes

You can call me what ever you like, but it's been proven by the result and was proven at the time when the game played out with none of the subs contributing to anything after they came on.

It's hindsight to you as we're having this discussion now, but I was having the discussion live.

For anyone who cares… on 18:52 - Oct 16 with 1325 viewsWicklowBlue

For anyone who cares… on 18:27 - Oct 16 by chrismakin

I watched it yes

You can call me what ever you like, but it's been proven by the result and was proven at the time when the game played out with none of the subs contributing to anything after they came on.

It's hindsight to you as we're having this discussion now, but I was having the discussion live.

I didn't watch the game, but surely the question has to be why such quality coming on off the bench contribute? Sounds like we couldn't keep the ball and give it to them.

Honestly not sure I'd want to sit back and try to hang on with how we concede such soft goals.
For anyone who cares… on 19:33 - Oct 16 with 1251 viewsPinewoodblue

For anyone who cares… on 18:02 - Oct 16 by WicklowBlue

That is pretty obvious if you look at our goals against figure.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

For anyone who cares… on 19:37 - Oct 16 with 1233 viewsjayessess

For anyone who cares… on 18:27 - Oct 16 by chrismakin

I watched it yes

I went and fwiw I didn't think much of any of the subs when they happened.

We have an overriding flaw that we can't play when the other team pushes up 20 yards or so. We've had it for weeks. We've not found a way to address it and certainly by the time Edwards came on it was pretty clear we weren't finding a way to address it today.

So, the choices were, live with that flaw and set up to defend like hell against a very limited and one-dimensional team for 10 minutes. Or pretend the problem didn't exist and hope we magically get on top of them again.

For anyone who cares… on 19:41 - Oct 16 with 1213 viewsWicklowBlue

For anyone who cares… on 19:33 - Oct 16 by Pinewoodblue

That is pretty obvious if you look at our goals against figure.

Agreed, as I said above not sure that I'd trust our defence to hold out if we made more defensive subs. With the quality we have on the bench I probably would have gone down the Kevin Keegan route too.
For anyone who cares… on 19:43 - Oct 16 with 1202 viewsSwansea_Blue

Isn't that becoming a bit common? I've a memory of a drunk goldfish, but I'm pretty sure we've had more poor 2nd halves than good ones. Especially when we've bossed the 1st half.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

For anyone who cares… on 19:46 - Oct 16 with 1188 viewsMeadowlark

We have not shown up in the second half all season.
This probably indicates that the managers of our opposing teams can see how to beat us, and our manager cannot do anything about it
For anyone who cares… on 19:50 - Oct 16 with 1170 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

For anyone who cares… on 18:04 - Oct 16 by The_Flashing_Smile

Celina was 100% ineffective in his time on the pitch, especially playing centrally.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

For anyone who cares… on 20:13 - Oct 16 with 1077 viewsBloomBlue

I agree although is that because of Cook's half time chat/tactics?

I'm still concerned about conceding on a regular basis so quickly after we've scored, not sure if that's a lack of confidence or over confident.
For anyone who cares… on 22:09 - Oct 16 with 898 viewsmonytowbray

For anyone who cares… on 18:16 - Oct 16 by chrismakin

So, let me just get this straight…

You spent from 45 minutes onwards shouting “stop trying to bury the game and defend!”

Did you f**k, Captain Hindsight.

No one did that. No one. Not a single person.

Moan all you want about Cook but the players on the pitch let him down today.

TWTD never forgets…

For anyone who cares… on 22:13 - Oct 16 with 879 viewsmonytowbray

For anyone who cares… on 20:13 - Oct 16 by BloomBlue

I agree although is that because of Cook's half time chat/tactics?

I'm still concerned about conceding on a regular basis so quickly after we've scored, not sure if that's a lack of confidence or over confident.

Not sure. I wasn’t in the dressing room.

But Aluko was keen, Chaplin was pushing, Donacian was overlapping well, Morsy was spreading butter cutting across the middle with the ball. Everyone before those subs in the ground was behind them. It was tighter because CambU went deeper and parked the bus a bit. It seemed like a goal was coming. Celina and Burns seemed like what the game needed, neither showed up and we were much weaker from then on.

I didn’t feel like any anger was directed at Cook in the ground today, and then I came on here and apparently the TV showed a different game?!

[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 22:15]

TWTD never forgets…

For anyone who cares… on 22:20 - Oct 16 with 860 viewsjayessess

For anyone who cares… on 22:13 - Oct 16 by monytowbray

Not sure. I wasn’t in the dressing room.

But Aluko was keen, Chaplin was pushing, Donacian was overlapping well, Morsy was spreading butter cutting across the middle with the ball. Everyone before those subs in the ground was behind them. It was tighter because CambU went deeper and parked the bus a bit. It seemed like a goal was coming. Celina and Burns seemed like what the game needed, neither showed up and we were much weaker from then on.

I didn’t feel like any anger was directed at Cook in the ground today, and then I came on here and apparently the TV showed a different game?!

[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 22:15]

I was on the terrace and there was a lot of frustration with Cook and well before we conceded the unsurprising second goal.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024