Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
School absences - bit of a weird one 10:41 - Oct 18 with 5135 viewsitfcjoe

My youngest tested positive for Covid last week and due to the current rules my eldest wasn't allowed to go to school for 3 days and then had to have a PCR test before he returns.

So he could go back to school today, but my wife doesn't work Monday or Tuesday so we thought it made more sense to keep him off until Wednesday to ensure he doesn't have a positive test as well (so far so good)

But the school phoned this morning, and said that because I had taken him to football on Saturday (which I didn't) that because he wasn't isolating that this was now an unauthorised absence.

It turns out that someone from the school has checked my Instagram page, and saw that I'd taken him down to Portman Road on Saturday morning to get a new shirt and we had a wander around the ground.

He doesn't legally need to isolate, as I don't, and we are testing every morning so I have no guilt on this - just seems very off from the school to be checking my social media, and then putting a black mark against his name when all we are doing is trying to take the sensible route because of how our childcare arrangements are and allows him to have an extra 2 days to ensure not infected.

He's only in reception, is it normal for schools to be like this?!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

School absences - bit of a weird one on 10:44 - Oct 18 with 2547 viewstextbackup

hopefully they wont check my social media.....

same school as you, and never had an issue in the slightest with them. reception shouldnt even matter if you take them out, we had a few fridays/mondays off with ours in reception for haven trips etc, never once mentioned.

you sure someone isnt pulling your leg?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

School absences - bit of a weird one on 10:47 - Oct 18 with 2518 viewsSitfcB

F’king busy bodies. Why don’t they mind their own business.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

School absences - bit of a weird one on 10:47 - Oct 18 with 2523 viewsitfcjoe

School absences - bit of a weird one on 10:44 - Oct 18 by textbackup

hopefully they wont check my social media.....

same school as you, and never had an issue in the slightest with them. reception shouldnt even matter if you take them out, we had a few fridays/mondays off with ours in reception for haven trips etc, never once mentioned.

you sure someone isnt pulling your leg?

Yeh, my missus is pretty annoyed with it - she'd actually phoned the school to say not back until Weds.

Think they got snotty with her because she denied he'd been to the football, because we'd taken him out of tennis and swimming lessons, and wasn't until they said on my Instagram that it clicked what they meant.

All very weird, and leaves a bit of a bad taste when trying to do the right thing - keeping in contact with teachers etc to do work and all that.

School absences - bit of a weird one on 10:47 - Oct 18 with 2517 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Rules or not, if someone in my family test positive, you can bet your life none of us are stepping foot outside the door. Why would you risk it?
School absences - bit of a weird one on 10:48 - Oct 18 with 2502 viewshype313

Seems ludicrous to me, Schools are all over the shop at the moment, they are operating different approaches and it's causing huge confusion.

Add the fact that someone checked your social media to then decide your child's fate this week is outrageous, I would be royally kicking off.

Also, Reception is a choice, not a legal requirement.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

School absences - bit of a weird one on 10:49 - Oct 18 with 2497 viewsitfcjoe

School absences - bit of a weird one on 10:47 - Oct 18 by BlueBlueBluex2

Rules or not, if someone in my family test positive, you can bet your life none of us are stepping foot outside the door. Why would you risk it?

Because we have lives to life, are following the rules and ensuring we all test every day.

School absences - bit of a weird one on 10:50 - Oct 18 with 2471 viewsm14_blue

School absences - bit of a weird one on 10:47 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

Yeh, my missus is pretty annoyed with it - she'd actually phoned the school to say not back until Weds.

Think they got snotty with her because she denied he'd been to the football, because we'd taken him out of tennis and swimming lessons, and wasn't until they said on my Instagram that it clicked what they meant.

All very weird, and leaves a bit of a bad taste when trying to do the right thing - keeping in contact with teachers etc to do work and all that.

It would be totally out of order at the best of times, right now it's sheer lunacy.

We're in the middle of a pandemic, everyone's doing their best and organisations need to give people a break.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 10:53 - Oct 18 with 2440 viewstextbackup

as hype says "Reception is a choice, not a legal requirement." and because of that they cant possibly stik a black mark against his name.

found the head/s over our time there to be really decent and understanding of peoples personal lives, seems madness they've looked on your social media

Login to get fewer ads

School absences - bit of a weird one on 10:55 - Oct 18 with 2412 viewsMookamoo

That is extraordinary. If you wanted to feel like you need to vent, send a letter to the Governors/Trustees. We had a few instances where a certain headteacher made our life difficult and we had to get others involved to make them back off.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 10:55 - Oct 18 with 2410 viewsunstableblue

I was football coach at my lads primary

Got to interact with the teachers and head

This particular head I think over stepped the mark in terms of judgement of kids, pigeon holing of kids, and judging parents approach to raising their kids

I found it off to day the least and unhealthy.

To your point the head had an obsession with unauthorised leave, to be fair she just didn’t want a culture of people devaluing attendance. But is someone was off sick she would actively quizz other parents AND kids to see if the leave was valid, or she would deny the leave anyway

Your school actually going on your social feeds sounds like that it is taking it to a whole new level

My only advice would be not to get on the wrong side of these types! Terrible as it may be it could affect your child’s school experience!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

School absences - bit of a weird one on 10:58 - Oct 18 with 2353 viewsPrideOfTheEast

That's incredible and would really annoy me.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 10:59 - Oct 18 with 2349 viewstextbackup

School absences - bit of a weird one on 10:55 - Oct 18 by unstableblue

This particular head I think over stepped the mark in terms of judgement of kids, pigeon holing of kids, and judging parents approach to raising their kids

To your point the head had an obsession with unauthorised leave, to be fair she just didn’t want a culture of people devaluing attendance. But is someone was off sick she would actively quizz other parents AND kids to see if the leave was valid, or she would deny the leave anyway

Your school actually going on your social feeds sounds like that it is taking it to a whole new level

My only advice would be not to get on the wrong side of these types! Terrible as it may be it could affect your child’s school experience!

whilst joe has this issue, my two have been at the same school for 4/5 years now and i couldnt speak highly enough off them.
the head has granted us absences for holidays in term time, purely because i'm a shift worker. and many others we speak to on a daily basis up there.
seems very very unlike this school to behave in this way

School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:06 - Oct 18 with 2327 viewsitfcjoe

School absences - bit of a weird one on 10:55 - Oct 18 by unstableblue

We've found the school really good, and everyone really helpful - but just seems crazy when the reality is we could easily have sent him back today, but thought the sensible thing to do was to give it another 2 days as my wife is only at home isolating with my youngest as it is.

Sounds more like a someone having a bad day in the office than school policy - but guess we'll see!
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 11:39]

School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:12 - Oct 18 with 2285 viewsdavblue

the life of a local celeb hey?
School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:14 - Oct 18 with 2273 viewshype313

School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:12 - Oct 18 by davblue

Either that or the office clerk is a budgie.

FWIW My son's school head is brilliant, but the office staff have god complexes, always complaints about them.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:17 - Oct 18 with 2251 viewsitfcjoe

School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:12 - Oct 18 by davblue

Guess maybe a good thing I've been 'caught out' doing something that is in my opinion totally correct and now realise I need to be a bit careful with it.

The irony that the photos of him were at the Sir Alf and Sir Bobby statues with a giant Covid testing centre in the background of one of them is not lost on me.

School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:21 - Oct 18 with 2197 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

School absences - bit of a weird one on 10:49 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

Because we have lives to life, are following the rules and ensuring we all test every day.

Sorry, not buying that. If a family member has Covid, you stay put, not go shopping and claim you test on a daily basis.

Everyone manages it different. Perhaps a walk in the country but PR?
School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:21 - Oct 18 with 2190 viewsunstableblue

School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:06 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

We've found the school really good, and everyone really helpful - but just seems crazy when the reality is we could easily have sent him back today, but thought the sensible thing to do was to give it another 2 days as my wife is only at home isolating with my youngest as it is.

Sounds more like a someone having a bad day in the office than school policy - but guess we'll see!
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 11:39]

Yes the school I was referencing has some fantastic teachers, and was overall a great experience. Think standard of primary schools in UK is good.

Just this head has created a bit of a bad culture and was crossing lines of responsibility a bit, and worse was opinionated on the kids.

Sounds like you place great.

And as you say is probably one individual - but going onto your social media feeds is going out of line. Best let it go perhaps.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:24 - Oct 18 with 2176 viewsitfcjoe

School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:21 - Oct 18 by BlueBlueBluex2

Sorry, not buying that. If a family member has Covid, you stay put, not go shopping and claim you test on a daily basis.

Everyone manages it different. Perhaps a walk in the country but PR?

You do what you want to do, but I'm already going over and above the rules.

School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:29 - Oct 18 with 2130 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:24 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

You do what you want to do, but I'm already going over and above the rules.

Rules are one thing, taking a high risk and presenting it to others without their consent or knowledge is a terrible attitude.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:30 - Oct 18 with 2121 viewsIllinoisblue

I generally am in favour of schools being strict on attendance but this approach seems absurd and OTT for such a young age, even more so when you’re trying to be cautious during covid.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:31 - Oct 18 with 2104 viewsEwan_Oozami

Ask Blubbers, he's a fount of knowledge on this subject..or he should be..

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:44 - Oct 18 with 2023 viewsitfcjoe

School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:30 - Oct 18 by Illinoisblue

I generally am in favour of schools being strict on attendance but this approach seems absurd and OTT for such a young age, even more so when you’re trying to be cautious during covid.

I get that schools have a tough job at the moment - but a one size fits all approach to around covid is just not going to work.

Some people will use it as an excuse to swing the lead, which I'm sure is frustrating for schools.

But last week we had a letter because it is so rife in the area here that siblings now have to isolate for 3 days (which wasn't previously the case) at certain schools.

At Kesgrave, which this is a feeder school for, they PCR tested every single person on site last week to try and stop it spreading and some classes had half the students missing afterwards.

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:06 - Oct 18 with 1943 viewsmutters

Shouldn't be such an online personality then Joe ;-) I don't know all you influencers always seem to think the rules are different for yourselves....

;-)

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:11 - Oct 18 with 1927 viewsdavblue

School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:17 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

Guess maybe a good thing I've been 'caught out' doing something that is in my opinion totally correct and now realise I need to be a bit careful with it.

The irony that the photos of him were at the Sir Alf and Sir Bobby statues with a giant Covid testing centre in the background of one of them is not lost on me.

Social media for whatever reason seems to bring out the worst in some people.

You haven't done anything wrong, so that's the main thing for you personally. Just keep those things private in the future for your sake and to stop the bother i guess.

I also guess with you being on the Pod and being visible on Twitter makes you a target for people who don't like your posts or comments on the pod. Maybe it was the Mick tweet that triggered it?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024