Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harassment allegations - advice? 08:37 - Oct 19 with 9965 viewsZx1988

I've recently commenced a money claim in the Small Claims Court against a former client who has opted not to pay for my services, despite the existence of a contract etc., essentially a fairly straightforward affair, but that's by the by.

Yesterday I received a call from an officer at my local police station advising that the defendant has made a complaint of harassment against me, and we have agreed that he will visit me this evening to discuss her claims.

I do not believe that I have undertaken any conduct that constitutes harassment. I have sent the defendant three letters:

*The legally-required Letter Before Claim
*A letter containing a copy of the claim form sent to HMCTS along with an offer to settle
*A subsequent offer to settle (and confirmation of my intention to see the claim through) following the defendant's refusal to engage with the HMCTS-appointed arbitration service

I don't believe any of the above conduct is unreasonable in the context of an ongoing legal case, and I would suggest that the lack of unreasonableness is sufficient to meet the following defence:

That in the particular circumstance the purported action is held to be reasonable.

I guess the counter-point is that this is the first time I have been involved with the police as a suspect and, sitting on this overnight, I'm worried that it might not go as simply as I'm hoping. I know that this is simply an attempt by the defendant to try and frustrate the process and intimidate me into dropping my claim, but on the other side I know that the police tend to have a bit of a thing about harassment, especially when it's alleged to have been committed by a man against a woman.

Can anyone offer me any thoughts as to what I should expect?

Part of me is inclined to believe that the officer will try to offer me a First Harassment Warning in that it will allow him to easily tie the matter up, and I'll be let off with no real action, but given that an FHW can be disclosed by an enhanced DBS check, and (as is my understanding) I've done nothing wrong, I don't want to feel coerced into accepting this outcome. What is likely to happen if an FHW is offered and refused?

Thanks!

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:09 - Oct 19 with 1100 viewschicoazul

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:00 - Oct 19 by PassionNotAnger

You tell me? Are all Ipswich fans now suddenly going to become Homophobic or Racists, or are they going to do something about it to remove those bad apples (like Blue Action removing their bad apple from their group) and vocalise how they aren't happy with comments/actions and that they don't represent their collective views???

Bad coppers are sacked/disciplined regularly you know?

It seems like you’re an idiot and not deserving of any response.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:13 - Oct 19 with 1089 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Harassment allegations - advice? on 14:44 - Oct 19 by PassionNotAnger

Yes, my comment was in response to you as you said (without any other context or highlighting a comment you were responding to):

"Never engage with the police without legal representation would be my advice"

It depends on what you deem "engaging" I guess but a huge amount of Policing is talking to members of the public about issues as witnesses, victims of crime, RTA's, etc - none of those interactions would require legal representation in the main part?

Inbuilt prejudice of many on here is obvious - they assume the Police are only going to engage with them as potential suspects in a crime but the reality for most of the population is very very different. missing persons/children, RTA's, community policing, victim support, crime prevention, crowd control etc etc all involve interaction with the police service for many people which may well go largely unnoticed and unrecognised.

Just to be clear though, I don't deny there are bad coppers, bad leaders in the police service and poor behaviour at times, exactly the same as EVERY other industry, profession and group, without exception. Doesn't make it right, but people need balance in their thought process .

Should every other football fan now see Ipswich fans collectively as homophobic and racist because of what happened at Cambridge with posters and online racial slur against the club captain? Or should they realise that one or two bad apples shouldn't reflect on everyone else?

I was responding to a thread where somebody is having a visit from the police in response to an accusation of harassment. I should have perhaps said never engage with the police where you've been accused by somebody of doing something, without legal representation. Of course most people with a sense of context would see that's what I meant.

For clarity, I would agree that if you've witnessed a crime it's unlikely you'd need legal representation!

I wonder if your username is back to front.
Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:14 - Oct 19 with 1084 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Harassment allegations - advice? on 14:58 - Oct 19 by bluelagos

You chose to label me a liar or a criminal without first asking for an explanation?

Seriously?

One might suspect this poster is a policeman!
Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:17 - Oct 19 with 1068 viewsRyorry

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:02 - Oct 19 by bluelagos

"Bad coppers are sacked/disciplined regularly you know? "

Not in my experience they are not. In my experience they are protected by their colleagues and left to carry on regardless.

Guess he missed all the newspapers & broadcast media reporting this

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/met-officials-not-aware-sarah-everards-killer-was

(Full headline reads "Met officials ‘not aware’ Sarah Everard’s killer was nicknamed ‘the rapist’ by colleagues").

Not to mention the various female police officers in news clips saying they were regularly sexually harrassed by male colleagues, were told their careers would suffer if they reported it, and who, when they challenged sexist comments about anyone from colleagues, were told it was "just banter".
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 15:21]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:22 - Oct 19 with 1037 viewsbluelagos

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:14 - Oct 19 by PrideOfTheEast

One might suspect this poster is a policeman!

Irrespective, someone must have tipped him off given he's gone very quiet all of a sudden.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:28 - Oct 19 with 1020 viewsTooManyCooks

Harassment allegations - advice? on 14:58 - Oct 19 by Herbivore

You've got stones, I'll give you that at least. Still either clueless or deliberately misrepresenting the debate, or likely a little of both, but you've got stones.

Thank you? That being the case and returning the favour, we could feasibly start a business named "gallstones" which if I may say, sounds rather like a legal firm.

hedgehog flavoured cucumbers

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:33 - Oct 19 with 1007 viewsPassionNotAnger

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:02 - Oct 19 by bluelagos

"Bad coppers are sacked/disciplined regularly you know? "

Not in my experience they are not. In my experience they are protected by their colleagues and left to carry on regardless.

what "experience" is that then?

Specific examples would be lovely?
Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:36 - Oct 19 with 993 viewsbluelagos

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:33 - Oct 19 by PassionNotAnger

If you wish to apologise for your early insults/slander, I'll happily lavish you with the details.

As it stands I don't owe you an explanation and won't be engaging with someone who has chosen to insult/slander me.

Login to get fewer ads

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:37 - Oct 19 with 991 viewsRyorry

I posted some 20 minutes ago, but you seem to have missed them -

Harassment allegations - advice? by Ryorry 19 Oct 2021 15:17

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/met-officials-not-aware-sarah-everards-killer-was-nicknamed-the-rapist-by-colleagues/

(Full headline reads "Met officials ‘not aware’ Sarah Everard’s killer was nicknamed ‘the rapist’ by colleagues").

Not to mention the various female police officers in news clips saying they were regularly sexually harrassed by male colleagues, were told their careers would suffer if they reported it, and who, when they challenged sexist comments about anyone from colleagues, were told it was "just banter".

Edit: I'd better add for clarity that these examples were those of serving police officers, not of Lagos, who isn't one of them, def info 😂)
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 15:41]

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:39 - Oct 19 with 989 viewsXYZ

Does it occur to you that some people may want to put such "experiences" in the past.

I suggest you just accept that Lagos has more credibility on here than you could aspire to and make a full apology to him.
Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:40 - Oct 19 with 984 viewsPassionNotAnger

Harassment allegations - advice? on 14:58 - Oct 19 by bluelagos

You chose to label me a liar or a criminal without first asking for an explanation?

Seriously?

I posted what I believed based on what you posted (specifically that the VAST MAJORITY of police that you've come across are corrupt)- you are either lying or been engaged in criminal activities yes.

I've also, on the same comment - asked for your specific examples - ie - dealt with Police on X occasions and on Y occasions it has been proven that the Police were corrupt.

Am very interested if you'll be able to prove me incorrect or not.

And for the absolute record, I'm not, nor have I ever been a serving officer or worked for the any part of the police service or indeed the legal profession more widely. I have once been arrested many years ago and have subsequently had and witnessed both positive and negative experiences of the Police service in various situations.

I've seen plenty of good coopers and a few that behaved poorly but haven't personally every witnessed any corrupt behaviour.
Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:42 - Oct 19 with 977 viewschicoazul

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:40 - Oct 19 by PassionNotAnger

I posted what I believed based on what you posted (specifically that the VAST MAJORITY of police that you've come across are corrupt)- you are either lying or been engaged in criminal activities yes.

I've also, on the same comment - asked for your specific examples - ie - dealt with Police on X occasions and on Y occasions it has been proven that the Police were corrupt.

And for the absolute record, I'm not, nor have I ever been a serving officer or worked for the any part of the police service or indeed the legal profession more widely. I have once been arrested many years ago and have subsequently had and witnessed both positive and negative experiences of the Police service in various situations.

I've seen plenty of good coopers and a few that behaved poorly but haven't personally every witnessed any corrupt behaviour.

Log off dad you’re drunk.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:44 - Oct 19 with 968 viewsXYZ

He can prove you incorrect, and then some.

Read the room.
Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:45 - Oct 19 with 966 viewsPassionNotAnger

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:37 - Oct 19 by Ryorry

I posted some 20 minutes ago, but you seem to have missed them -

Harassment allegations - advice? by Ryorry 19 Oct 2021 15:17

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/met-officials-not-aware-sarah-everards-killer-was-nicknamed-the-rapist-by-colleagues/

Edit: I'd better add for clarity that these examples were those of serving police officers, not of Lagos, who isn't one of them, def info 😂)
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 15:41]

We've all seen that horrific case but doesn't equate to that posters specific claims is that the vast majority of HIS dealings with the Police showed corruption does it?

I've said there are bad and bent coppers and they deserve to be sacked and if that behaviour goes undetected or is ignored then those senior leaders also deserve to sacked/disciplined.

I will NEVER defend a bad police officer. I will NEVER defend police corruption however I won't listen to drivel suggesting that the majority of the police services is corrupt as it's not true and disingenuous to the thousands of good officers.
Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:47 - Oct 19 with 960 viewsRyorry

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:45 - Oct 19 by PassionNotAnger

We've all seen that horrific case but doesn't equate to that posters specific claims is that the vast majority of HIS dealings with the Police showed corruption does it?

I've said there are bad and bent coppers and they deserve to be sacked and if that behaviour goes undetected or is ignored then those senior leaders also deserve to sacked/disciplined.

I will NEVER defend a bad police officer. I will NEVER defend police corruption however I won't listen to drivel suggesting that the majority of the police services is corrupt as it's not true and disingenuous to the thousands of good officers.

I suggest you search this site using 'Hillsborough disaster' as key words.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 15:48]

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:47 - Oct 19 with 960 viewsbluelagos

Do you know what slander is mate? Do you yourself a favour, wind yer neck in and be a bit more polite.

Cos that's twice you've clearly slandered me.

If you can't engage with me in a polite manner, I won't engage with you, simple.

That the vast majority of police I have dealt with have been dishonest, is beyond doubt. You may not like to hear about it, but if you look at my avatar there is a clue.

That's me holding the flag. Like I say, I don't owe you an explanation and won't be providing one until you apologise for your insults.

I'll leave it there for now.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 16:05]

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:48 - Oct 19 with 956 viewsPassionNotAnger

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:36 - Oct 19 by bluelagos

If you wish to apologise for your early insults/slander, I'll happily lavish you with the details.

As it stands I don't owe you an explanation and won't be engaging with someone who has chosen to insult/slander me.

I don't believe what you wrote so I'm not going to apologise for posting what I said at this point, however if I'm proven to be incorrect then yes I would whole-heartedly and sincerely apologise and admit I was wrong to say what I did.
Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:52 - Oct 19 with 939 viewsZx1988

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:48 - Oct 19 by PassionNotAnger

I don't believe what you wrote so I'm not going to apologise for posting what I said at this point, however if I'm proven to be incorrect then yes I would whole-heartedly and sincerely apologise and admit I was wrong to say what I did.

I don't claim to know much (or anything) about Lagos, but what I do know is that they are one heck of a campaigner for the Hillsborough families. That should answer any and all questions you might have about what qualifies them to speak about the police being institutionally corrupt.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Harassment allegations - advice? on 16:01 - Oct 19 with 928 viewsHerbivore

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:52 - Oct 19 by Zx1988

I don't claim to know much (or anything) about Lagos, but what I do know is that they are one heck of a campaigner for the Hillsborough families. That should answer any and all questions you might have about what qualifies them to speak about the police being institutionally corrupt.

When you go and speak to the fuzz they might have a few questions about you inciting public disorder at this rate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Harassment allegations - advice? on 16:04 - Oct 19 with 924 viewsEwan_Oozami

Harassment allegations - advice? on 14:26 - Oct 19 by ZXBlue

Usuually entirely accurate.

It is amazing how most of us decent law abiding folk dont seem to have any difficulties with the police.

It will take one malicious accusation of something against you or a case of not easily provable mistaken identity to make you change your mind I reckon.....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Harassment allegations - advice? on 16:06 - Oct 19 with 910 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Harassment allegations - advice? on 08:51 - Oct 19 by Herbivore

Although the police might question why he's needing to seek legal advice when he's not being arrested or spoken to under caution, and that could lead to them treating it more formally. It's a tricky balance.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 8:52]

I don't think they can give the FWH unless under caution can they? Particularly as it would be revealed on an enhanced check.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Harassment allegations - advice? on 16:09 - Oct 19 with 901 viewsTooManyCooks

Harassment allegations - advice? on 11:02 - Oct 19 by Ryorry

Just out of interest, would it be contravening anything to openly record any convo on your phone or other device if police start questioning you anywhere about anything? (I'm assuming it's not OK to do so covertly - or is it ..?)

Sorry Ryorry, I have only just seen your question.

There isn't a straightforward answer, as just about everything is dependent on situation. I think I'd start by saying that if you recorded something covertly, then they wouldn't know anyway, so why not? It's still admissible in court too, with a judges permission.

Most Police now wear Bodycams (and members of the public too, cyclists, joggers, motorbikes, cars etc etc) and in any Police interview there is high tech audio/video recording, which you are entitled to a copy of, so there's no need to record your own. However, if you requested it in an interview, your request would be declined, but if the audio equipment failed they could permit your Solicitor to record the rest of the interview on a mobile phone, if required. In reality, if the equipment failed, they'd move to another interview room, or postpone the interview.

hedgehog flavoured cucumbers

Harassment allegations - advice? on 16:09 - Oct 19 with 899 viewsEwan_Oozami

You obviously don't read the forum around April time then....

Harassment allegations - advice? on 16:12 - Oct 19 with 888 viewsEwan_Oozami

Harassment allegations - advice? on 15:47 - Oct 19 by Ryorry

I suggest you search this site using 'Hillsborough disaster' as key words.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 15:48]

Dang! Beat me to it! :-)

Harassment allegations - advice? on 16:22 - Oct 19 with 856 viewsRadioOrwell

Harassment allegations - advice? on 09:45 - Oct 19 by ZXBlue

They are not feds, and if it is simply three letters there is no problem. Seriously. Normal people who behave normally do not generally have any issues dealing with the police. (of course, before someone says it, there are very rare and extreme exceptions).

I think preparing for the abnormal would be the best route.
Lawyer up.
Keep a copy of everything etc etc
Don't assume it's going to go easy.
She could accuse you of literally anything.

( didn't notice this was a 5 pager ... that escalated quickly ! )
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 16:25]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024