Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold 19:39 - Nov 13 with 3966 viewstractordownsouth

potentially as low as 22k. This is a ridiculous decision. As someone who will (hopefully) graduate next year, I think it's fair to expect people to repay their loans (because higher education is a choice at the end of the day) but only once we reach an average income level - 27k is about right. As a generation, younger people already spend a much higher percentage of income on essentials (often paying someone else's mortgage in the form of rent), so to ask those who earn little more than the living wage to potentially stump up an extra £200-450 per year on top of the National Insurance increase is massively unfair. I shouldn't be surprised because it's yet another example of Johnson unilaterally trying to change the terms of an agreement.

It's blindingly obvious that as with the National Insurance rise, the government are getting the young working poor to foot the bill for the older generations, purely because they're the ones that vote for them. It's really not how a country should be governed.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 14:57 - Nov 14 with 564 viewsfooters

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 14:42 - Nov 14 by Durovigutum

Sadly. And it removes the opportunity to hire many talented individuals.

I graduated in 1995 and had a tiny student loan that I'd used to help out with some expenses. I can't believe what it's become - it's absolutely criminal and massively disadvantages those from poorer backgrounds who are (almost always) stuck with this debt for life, where rich families pay their kids through and avoid any sort of graduate tax.

But, let's be clear, the entire tax system is an unfair mess for anyone earning over 9k and less than "I can afford an offshore tax vehicle". I read somewhere recently that the tax regulations for 2017 were longer than the King James Bible but Singapore's equivalent were shorter than Genesis. We'd do well to address the key problem rather than tack another poorly thought through tax on bits of the population.

Exactly. Unfortunately this government, and various previous ones, have practically encouraged tax avoidance. The UK is so unbalanced as a country and our former reliance on income from the City has made all sorts of shady dealings acceptable since we now have very little choice if we want to retain our position in the world.

Of course, we've seen hundreds of billions in capital flight from the City thanks to Brexit and MiFID regs so now it's a question of how low we'll go to accomodate more shady dealings with the good-looking rubber stamp of a London address.

It's a total mess and our priorities as a country are all wrong.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 15:02]

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 15:08 - Nov 14 with 542 viewsfactual_blue

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 13:21 - Nov 14 by Oldboy

They only do range/land rover don't they?

And Skodas..

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 15:10 - Nov 14 with 541 viewsDarth_Koont

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 14:47 - Nov 14 by lowhouseblue

https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/students

Cheers. Good source although can’t really find representations of what I’m looking for. The number seems to be going up with population (and changes in population like static on white ethnicity but increasing on other ethnicities).

But I’ll keep having a dig and looking for other sources like economists who, unlike me, know what they’re doing when it comes to measuring disincentives/barriers.

Pronouns: He/Him

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 15:23 - Nov 14 with 521 viewsPlums

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 13:13 - Nov 14 by Oldboy

The point is that you knew you were going to leave University with a debt. No point in anybody moaning about it. So the terms and conditions have changed, welcome to life.

Except that’s not the point you were making and not the point I responded to but thanks for the life lesson. I’m really not sure of the point you’re trying to make.

Unfortunately there is such a dearth of vocational education and training in this country, for many University is the only choice if you want to improve your lot and that comes with a large debt regardless of whether your ‘eyes are open’ or not.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 15:32 - Nov 14 with 505 viewsitfcjoe

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 14:32 - Nov 14 by chicoazul

I worked in commercial recruitment for 18 years. In a fight between a grad and a non grad for a role in almost every financial insurance and manufacturing organisation the grad will win always, unless it’s a white guy against an Asian guy in my experience. So the choice as you put it is either debt as a grad or massively restricted employment opportunities and I don’t mean “try other jobs” I mean “think about moving to Cuba”. It’s not a choice.

At my old job, which was administrating pensions in Ipswich - by the time I left in 2012ish, witho it a degree you wouldn’t get an interview. This is for entry level admin jobs on £12k a year - most people had 2:1s just to get in the door when you have 40-50 applicants for each job

Note - that may have changed there now as company grown a lot so no doubt more recruitment. But you need a degree just to get a foot in the door at lots of places now - only real office based jobs you wouldn’t are those which are effectively sales and commission based ones

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 16:09 - Nov 14 with 451 viewslowhouseblue

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 15:10 - Nov 14 by Darth_Koont

Cheers. Good source although can’t really find representations of what I’m looking for. The number seems to be going up with population (and changes in population like static on white ethnicity but increasing on other ethnicities).

But I’ll keep having a dig and looking for other sources like economists who, unlike me, know what they’re doing when it comes to measuring disincentives/barriers.

the fact that we now have the highest proportion ever of the age cohort going into higher education doesn't require any digging.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49841620

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 16:14 - Nov 14 with 437 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

It is absolutely key that any university course is a)required for your future career path and b) increases the chances of a higher wage in said field.
Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 16:18 - Nov 14 with 421 viewslowhouseblue

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 16:14 - Nov 14 by BlueBlueBluex2

It is absolutely key that any university course is a)required for your future career path and b) increases the chances of a higher wage in said field.

trouble is that your b) hasn't survived the rise in the numbers going to university. there is now a long tail who see no salary benefit from their degree and earn the same as they would have done without going. that is the real problem. loan finance made sense when 20% went, it doesn't work when 50% go.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 16:20 - Nov 14 with 419 viewsOldboy

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 15:23 - Nov 14 by Plums

Except that’s not the point you were making and not the point I responded to but thanks for the life lesson. I’m really not sure of the point you’re trying to make.

Unfortunately there is such a dearth of vocational education and training in this country, for many University is the only choice if you want to improve your lot and that comes with a large debt regardless of whether your ‘eyes are open’ or not.

There are currently over 1 million vacancies in the care, hospitality and retail sectors, if that helps.
Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 16:20 - Nov 14 with 413 viewsfooters

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 16:14 - Nov 14 by BlueBlueBluex2

No, it isn't.

Many people who go to uni end up in fields completely unrelated to their chosen subject, and any knowledge gained from a degree is crucial to keep certain parts of culture alive.

Learning about literature, for example, won't give many a job at the end of it but people still need to study it in order for future generations to benefit.

Thinking of a degree purely in terms of a career is silly and short-termist. If we all had that approach to life we'd all still be living in mud huts digging up turnips with our hands since those were the only things necessary for survival.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 16:30]

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 16:21 - Nov 14 with 408 viewsfooters

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 16:20 - Nov 14 by Oldboy

There are currently over 1 million vacancies in the care, hospitality and retail sectors, if that helps.

I can't believe you still won't tell me about your new Passat. This is thirst trapping on a different level. And yet you have me hooked.

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 16:22 - Nov 14 with 410 viewsDarth_Koont

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 16:09 - Nov 14 by lowhouseblue

the fact that we now have the highest proportion ever of the age cohort going into higher education doesn't require any digging.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49841620

It does when you have to factor in things like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/may/29/university-fees-barrier-wider-

And professions like nursing are calling out tuition fees in order to fill the gap.

Clearly a disincentive/barrier has some effect. Or are you saying that more people are in higher education because it’s more expensive and it’s a status thing?

As others have pointed out, it’s not a choice in many industries but I’d be interested in how those extra fees have affected younger people and higher education.

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 16:25 - Nov 14 with 393 viewslowhouseblue

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 16:22 - Nov 14 by Darth_Koont

It does when you have to factor in things like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/may/29/university-fees-barrier-wider-

And professions like nursing are calling out tuition fees in order to fill the gap.

Clearly a disincentive/barrier has some effect. Or are you saying that more people are in higher education because it’s more expensive and it’s a status thing?

As others have pointed out, it’s not a choice in many industries but I’d be interested in how those extra fees have affected younger people and higher education.

despite fees, a higher proportion of a cohort now go to university than at any point in the past. the proportion going from low income groups is also now higher than ever before. it is hard to sustain the disincentive argument when admissions, proportionate to the cohort, hit new highs.

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 16:28 - Nov 14 with 388 viewsPlums

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 16:20 - Nov 14 by Oldboy

Ah, low pay, poor working conditions and zero hour contracts. That’s the future of a well educated, sustainable Britain.
No wonder so many want to go to University.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 16:33 - Nov 14 with 377 viewsDarth_Koont

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 16:25 - Nov 14 by lowhouseblue

despite fees, a higher proportion of a cohort now go to university than at any point in the past. the proportion going from low income groups is also now higher than ever before. it is hard to sustain the disincentive argument when admissions, proportionate to the cohort, hit new highs.

So it costs more to the individual and that has no effect? I think an economist would struggle with that.

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 16:59 - Nov 14 with 320 viewsOldboy

Govt plans to lower student loan repayment threshold on 16:28 - Nov 14 by Plums

Ah, low pay, poor working conditions and zero hour contracts. That’s the future of a well educated, sustainable Britain.
No wonder so many want to go to University.

Jobs that are just as important, if not more so. You can advance in all of these sectors and earn a very good living.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024