Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
India are considering a lockdown of Delhi 09:20 - Nov 14 with 2382 viewsStokieBlue

However it's not due to C19. The lockdown will be a "pollution" lockdown because the air at the moment is so dangerous and polluted. Schools are already closed.

It's incredible that they know they have to consider and probably implement these measures when you see their stances on various issues at Cop26. Modi couldn't even be bothered to attend of course.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 12:09 - Nov 14 with 1070 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 10:59 - Nov 14 by Dubtractor

Me and Mrs Dub opted against having kids.

I am a real life eco hero.

Used to think the same Dubbers. Having Junior was the best thing we ever did and the world needs more people like Junior in it too!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 12:09 - Nov 14 with 1070 viewsHerbivore

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 12:00 - Nov 14 by chicoazul

If you read the article linked you will see it does contribute yes but *but by a tiny amount relatively*. This is what I can get over, people telling me on the one hand muh per capita and the other hand muh too many of *those* people. People in England who decide not to have kids due to the climate , well ok, but have you retired your car? Because if you did you could have as many kids as you want or don’t want. And if you didn’t, well…..

I read the article. It's the same straw manning you're doing, it's just more eloquent than you. There's very little hard science in there, it's Monibot being Monibot. And I agree with him that consumption is a huge problem - the biggest problem even - but if you and he don't see that population growth leads to more consumption then there's not much helping you. In the last 49 years the population of the UK has gone up by over 20%, population growth isn't just happening elsewhere. I see you're also very quiet on the two most populous nations being the ones who wanted to water down the COP 26 agreement, I guess it's a bit awkward for your line of argument.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 12:11]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 12:10 - Nov 14 with 1064 viewsHerbivore

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 12:01 - Nov 14 by chicoazul

Jesus Christ. Of course not having kids would be “eco”. Guess what happens next…?????

Oh good, so now at least you do acknowledge that not adding to the population is better for the environment. We got there in the end.

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 13:09 - Nov 14 with 1003 viewsfactual_blue

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:22 - Nov 14 by eastangliaisblue

I always had reservations on having kids purely because of the way the world is going. Don't get my wrong, I don't regret having them, as I couldn't imagine my life without them. I just worry what the world is going to be like for them, in the next 20-30 years.

Sadly they might need this sort of skill set....

https://www.woodland-ways.co.uk/book-online-northern-forests-year-long-course-16
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 13:14]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 13:23 - Nov 14 with 993 viewschicoazul

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 12:09 - Nov 14 by Herbivore

I read the article. It's the same straw manning you're doing, it's just more eloquent than you. There's very little hard science in there, it's Monibot being Monibot. And I agree with him that consumption is a huge problem - the biggest problem even - but if you and he don't see that population growth leads to more consumption then there's not much helping you. In the last 49 years the population of the UK has gone up by over 20%, population growth isn't just happening elsewhere. I see you're also very quiet on the two most populous nations being the ones who wanted to water down the COP 26 agreement, I guess it's a bit awkward for your line of argument.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 12:11]

Well you know my line of argument about China and India.
I don’t see how you can’t agree that western lifestyles and third world lifestyles are not in any way comparable from an emissions perspective and so therefore telling third world people to stop breeding so we can carry on driving cars mining Bitcoin and eating Big Macs is nonsense.

If the West stops having kids, in a few decades there will be no people to sustain pensions and the economy and before long a population collapse. This seems to be your point and maybe your Malthusian goal. That’s up to you. Nobody on here would be surprised to hear it.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 13:25 - Nov 14 with 974 viewsHerbivore

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 13:23 - Nov 14 by chicoazul

Well you know my line of argument about China and India.
I don’t see how you can’t agree that western lifestyles and third world lifestyles are not in any way comparable from an emissions perspective and so therefore telling third world people to stop breeding so we can carry on driving cars mining Bitcoin and eating Big Macs is nonsense.

If the West stops having kids, in a few decades there will be no people to sustain pensions and the economy and before long a population collapse. This seems to be your point and maybe your Malthusian goal. That’s up to you. Nobody on here would be surprised to hear it.

Ffs.

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 13:35 - Nov 14 with 955 viewschicoazul

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 12:10 - Nov 14 by Herbivore

Oh good, so now at least you do acknowledge that not adding to the population is better for the environment. We got there in the end.

Better by a tiny tiny amount if at all. Bad for the future of any green economy we want to build. Giving up your car makes much much much more difference to emissions than Chico the farmer in Brazil only having two kids.
Not that it matters much while China and India carry on as they are of course.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 14:10 - Nov 14 with 933 viewsHerbivore

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 13:35 - Nov 14 by chicoazul

Better by a tiny tiny amount if at all. Bad for the future of any green economy we want to build. Giving up your car makes much much much more difference to emissions than Chico the farmer in Brazil only having two kids.
Not that it matters much while China and India carry on as they are of course.

According to the article I posted previously a child born into a developed country - and we live in the developed world, Chico, unless you ship your kids off at birth to live off the land which I'm guessing you don't - will contribute 58.6 metric tonnes of carbon every year. Average lifespan in the UK is around 81, so that's 4746 metric tonnes of carbon you're responsible for in having one child. Average car use results in 4.6 metric tonnes of carbon emissions per year, so if one was to drive for 60 years that's 276 metric tonnes of carbon. So having a child in the UK is roughly 17 times worse for the environment than driving a car for your whole life.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 14:11]

Login to get fewer ads

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 14:22 - Nov 14 with 925 viewsDubtractor

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 12:09 - Nov 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

Used to think the same Dubbers. Having Junior was the best thing we ever did and the world needs more people like Junior in it too!

Yeah, I don't doubt I'll feel a bit sad about it in later life, but here and now I'm comfortable with our choices. I'd be lying if I said we did it for environmental reasons, but it does give me occasional opportunities to pretend we did!

I'm def claiming legit eco credit for only having one car in the house though, and a small one at that, plus walking to work every day.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 14:23 - Nov 14 with 924 viewspointofblue

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:53 - Nov 14 by chicoazul

But isn’t that exactly what everyone who says population is so important is exactly doing?
This is excellent and reflects my view far more eloquently and accurately than I ever could; https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/26/panic-overpopulation-clima

For the sake of balance, an article from Population Matters in response to Monbiot's article:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/28/population-poverty-and-the-climate

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 14:35 - Nov 14 with 904 viewsHerbivore

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 14:23 - Nov 14 by pointofblue

For the sake of balance, an article from Population Matters in response to Monbiot's article:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/28/population-poverty-and-the-climate

Ooh, that's awkward.

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 14:39 - Nov 14 with 894 viewsWeWereZombies

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:53 - Nov 14 by Herbivore

Sounds legit.

I think my point is made more eloquently and with some degree of provenance in this response to The Guardian article Chicoazul linked (and includes a response that was linked at the end of that article and also published in The Guardian and linked by pointofblue later in this thread - but the full response is more pertinent than the edit published by The Guardian.)

https://populationmatters.org/news/2020/08/its-time-end-harmful-population-denia

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 14:40 - Nov 14 with 891 viewschicoazul

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 14:35 - Nov 14 by Herbivore

Ooh, that's awkward.

Does it say “we’re not racist honest we just think there’s too many of them”? I’ll read it shortly

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 14:57 - Nov 14 with 870 viewsHerbivore

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 14:40 - Nov 14 by chicoazul

Does it say “we’re not racist honest we just think there’s too many of them”? I’ll read it shortly

No, that's not what it says. Now about what you were saying about giving up a car having a bigger impact than having fewer kids.....

Some more reading for you: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/12/want-to-fight-climate-change

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 15:16 - Nov 14 with 834 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 14:22 - Nov 14 by Dubtractor

Yeah, I don't doubt I'll feel a bit sad about it in later life, but here and now I'm comfortable with our choices. I'd be lying if I said we did it for environmental reasons, but it does give me occasional opportunities to pretend we did!

I'm def claiming legit eco credit for only having one car in the house though, and a small one at that, plus walking to work every day.

You are defo well in credit Dubbers!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 20:09 - Nov 14 with 727 viewsKropotkin123

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:56 - Nov 14 by Herbivore

No, if you read the thread the only person obsessed with people having kids in South East Asia is you. The population in developed nations has grown massively, life expectancy has risen significantly even in my life time. The issue of distribution of resources is a separate one, the facts are that sustaining the current global population is killing the planet irrespective of distribution, if you think the population growing further won't add to that then you're way off.

Edit - science agrees with me that not having kids (or at least having one fewer kid) is one of the most eco things one can do as an individual: https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/sustainable-living/climate-crisis-c
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 11:58]

The rate of population growth continues to decline worldwide. Look at somewhere like Bangladesh for examples of how and why.

Population growth has and is continuing to be addressed at a much faster rate than resources consumed per person.

We need much more focus on resource consumption per person.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 23:01 - Nov 14 with 679 viewsHerbivore

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 20:09 - Nov 14 by Kropotkin123

The rate of population growth continues to decline worldwide. Look at somewhere like Bangladesh for examples of how and why.

Population growth has and is continuing to be addressed at a much faster rate than resources consumed per person.

We need much more focus on resource consumption per person.

Growth rates declining is not the same as growth declining. The global population continues to rise and that isn't compatible with us not killing the planet at this time.

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 23:04 - Nov 14 with 659 viewsElderGrizzly

They did this earlier in the year. Embassy team was ordered to stay at home due to pollution in Delhi
India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 23:14 - Nov 14 with 617 viewsLord_Lucan

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 14:22 - Nov 14 by Dubtractor

Don't dismiss having kids.

Kids are brilliant.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 01:41 - Nov 15 with 557 viewsKropotkin123

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 23:01 - Nov 14 by Herbivore

Growth rates declining is not the same as growth declining. The global population continues to rise and that isn't compatible with us not killing the planet at this time.

I know. Well done for ignoring the point.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 01:53 - Nov 15 with 552 viewsKropotkin123

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 23:14 - Nov 14 by Lord_Lucan

Don't dismiss having kids.

Kids are brilliant.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53409521 - We'll more than likely need them in the future too.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024