Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. 12:19 - Nov 14 with 1774 viewsnorfsufblue

..I think we all know its gamesmanship of the highest level and perhaps we need to practice a bit ourselves to combat it..... so what about sticking a clock for information only recording the time the ball is in play for the benefit of the fans on the scoreboard.... im sure if there isn't already a rule to prevent it then it would be swiftly dealt with by the EFL or FA which hopefully would actually start a conversation about it at a higher level...
Anyone got any other ideas??
So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 12:24 - Nov 14 with 1719 viewsKeno

This isn’t meant to offend and I’m sorry if comes across wrong but I love the irony of the thread on TWTD about time wasting!!

It made me chuckle

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 12:33 - Nov 14 with 1677 viewsBasuco

It is an integral part of the game and accepted as normal for any team winning or struggling to hold on for a point, just the same a diving, feigning injury and claiming a decision when they know they put the ball out. This has somehow become not cheating and is an important part of modern football skills that young players have to learn and be proficient at.
So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 12:59 - Nov 14 with 1633 viewsclive_baker

This is in danger of being Liverpool levels of salty. Didn’t they start a petition to get a game replayed once?

Time wasting happens, we did it at Lincoln to a lesser extent. It is a nonsense how 2nd half stoppage time is nearly always 3 or 4 minutes regardless of substitutions, injuries, time wasting and delays etc. How can that be the case? That said, it happens and we need to learn to live with it as it’ll keep happening while we’re seen as a tougher opponent at this level, especially at PR. It’s for the 4th official to get right.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 13:01]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 13:07 - Nov 14 with 1603 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Rewatch the Wycombe game. Lee Evans is an absolute master at sh1thousery, in the last 20 minutes when we started to come under the cosh he was 'buying' fouls all the time.
He's also well versed at leaving a foot in and blocking off the ball, something he actually got pulled up for in that game.

I've rewatched the Oxford game, they did it a couple of times genuinely trying it on.. but nothing until the last 80 minutes. Chants of boring boring Oxford were just frustration on our part - not like they came and parked the bus or were time wasting from the 30th minute was it?
So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 13:08 - Nov 14 with 1601 viewsArnieM

It’s up to the match officials to stamp it out … ignore players feigning injury ?( they’d soon get up !) … add copious time on .. 10-15mins ? Teams would soon stop doing it .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 13:14 - Nov 14 with 1588 viewsWickets

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 12:59 - Nov 14 by clive_baker

This is in danger of being Liverpool levels of salty. Didn’t they start a petition to get a game replayed once?

Time wasting happens, we did it at Lincoln to a lesser extent. It is a nonsense how 2nd half stoppage time is nearly always 3 or 4 minutes regardless of substitutions, injuries, time wasting and delays etc. How can that be the case? That said, it happens and we need to learn to live with it as it’ll keep happening while we’re seen as a tougher opponent at this level, especially at PR. It’s for the 4th official to get right.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 13:01]

Those of us that are worried regards this "Game management " are not excluding us from their comments we know we do it as well but maybe not quite to the degree we watched yesterday . Been sent a text claiming that in 5 minutes of stoppage time the ball was in play for just over 2 minutes ?
So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 13:52 - Nov 14 with 1508 viewsblueislander

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 13:14 - Nov 14 by Wickets

Those of us that are worried regards this "Game management " are not excluding us from their comments we know we do it as well but maybe not quite to the degree we watched yesterday . Been sent a text claiming that in 5 minutes of stoppage time the ball was in play for just over 2 minutes ?

Would it be possible to look at the rugby union system where the referee calls “time off” when there is a break in play, and “time on” to restart.

I remember seeing a study somewhere on how long the ball is in play over the length of a match. I think it was around 30 minutes.
So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 14:52 - Nov 14 with 1415 viewsX0Y0

I think they should just stop the clock for injuries etc, once the game goes beyond 75 minutes.

The bulk of time wasting occurs beyond this point, and it would discourage it from it even taking place so I don’t think it would extend the game much. I wouldn’t even be against them shortening the match / second half and stopping the clock.
Login to get fewer ads

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 15:02 - Nov 14 with 1395 viewsclive_baker

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 13:52 - Nov 14 by blueislander

Would it be possible to look at the rugby union system where the referee calls “time off” when there is a break in play, and “time on” to restart.

I remember seeing a study somewhere on how long the ball is in play over the length of a match. I think it was around 30 minutes.

That is being considered I believe. 30 minute halves with the clock stopping when the ball isn’t in play.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 16:23 - Nov 14 with 1313 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 13:08 - Nov 14 by ArnieM

It’s up to the match officials to stamp it out … ignore players feigning injury ?( they’d soon get up !) … add copious time on .. 10-15mins ? Teams would soon stop doing it .

This.

Poll: would you rather

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 17:56 - Nov 14 with 1222 viewsnorfsufblue

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 15:02 - Nov 14 by clive_baker

That is being considered I believe. 30 minute halves with the clock stopping when the ball isn’t in play.

This is probably the best solution but I would like to see the final whistle only blown at a natural break in play ... throw in goal kick or dare I say it .goal!.... not a free kick or corner , much like in rugby
So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 18:04 - Nov 14 with 1213 viewsBlueBadger

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 12:24 - Nov 14 by Keno

This isn’t meant to offend and I’m sorry if comes across wrong but I love the irony of the thread on TWTD about time wasting!!

It made me chuckle

I always used to enjoy it when certain Board Tories used to rail against 'lazy and inefficient' public sector workers, whilst on here all day, from 9 to 5.

If the private sector was truly that hard working Phil would have had to get a proper job years ago.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 18:04]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 19:02 - Nov 14 with 1145 viewsTJS

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 15:02 - Nov 14 by clive_baker

Definite no from me on that idea - sounds way too American.
Before you know it we’d be having time outs and ‘special subs’ coming on for the last 10 seconds of play.
So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 19:26 - Nov 14 with 1096 viewspennblue

I think it has got worse this season, the players seem to go over to the manager now for a drink and a pep talk.

Any time a team builds momentum, someone hits the deck and kills the moment. It is very effective, but completely ruins the match. I think we just have to be smarter somehow, not sure how, if we start exaggerating back (to make a point to the referee), then we could get booked for simulation.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 20:23 - Nov 14 with 1023 viewsKropotkin123

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 13:52 - Nov 14 by blueislander

Yeah, I've read something similar, but can't remember the source.

60 minute games where the clock is paused when ball is out of play or in the keepers hands I think was the suggestion

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 08:44 - Nov 15 with 771 viewsjayessess

I dunno how much of a difference you could make with rule changes really. If PGMOL clamped down on it that'd help a bit.

Take Saturday. I was curious, so went over the match replay. In the second half there were 4 actual stoppages (1 round of substitutions, 3 injuries that required a significant break in play), that totalled 6 minutes and 58 seconds. So really the board should've gone up for a 7 minute minimum (we got 5).

Then in stoppage time, there were a further 3 stoppages (totalling 2 minutes), for which we got an extra 90 seconds.

So in total they've managed to shave off 150 seconds of play. Which, yeah, potentially, makes a difference (for context, if you kept the ball in play for those 150 seconds that's about 4-5% of an average game right there). I'd also say that a stoppage time board of 7 minutes, which plays out as 9 minutes is a lot more psychologically difficult for the defending team to see out.

You could get all that back just by telling referees to enforce the rules as they are or, better yet, by taking it out of their hands entirely and having the 4th Official do it. Football's authorities are supposed to be constantly worried about "the attractiveness of the game to young fans" so it's not like they've no reason to intervene.

But, all that said, I don't actually think enforcing the stoppage time entirely removes the motivation to waste time, which is as much about disrupting rhythm as anything else. You don't want a team to get up a head of steam attacking your goal is the thing.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2021 10:23]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 09:11 - Nov 15 with 726 viewsRadlett_blue

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 08:44 - Nov 15 by jayessess

I dunno how much of a difference you could make with rule changes really. If PGMOL clamped down on it that'd help a bit.

Take Saturday. I was curious, so went over the match replay. In the second half there were 4 actual stoppages (1 round of substitutions, 3 injuries that required a significant break in play), that totalled 6 minutes and 58 seconds. So really the board should've gone up for a 7 minute minimum (we got 5).

Then in stoppage time, there were a further 3 stoppages (totalling 2 minutes), for which we got an extra 90 seconds.

So in total they've managed to shave off 150 seconds of play. Which, yeah, potentially, makes a difference (for context, if you kept the ball in play for those 150 seconds that's about 4-5% of an average game right there). I'd also say that a stoppage time board of 7 minutes, which plays out as 9 minutes is a lot more psychologically difficult for the defending team to see out.

You could get all that back just by telling referees to enforce the rules as they are or, better yet, by taking it out of their hands entirely and having the 4th Official do it. Football's authorities are supposed to be constantly worried about "the attractiveness of the game to young fans" so it's not like they've no reason to intervene.

But, all that said, I don't actually think enforcing the stoppage time entirely removes the motivation to waste time, which is as much about disrupting rhythm as anything else. You don't want a team to get up a head of steam attacking your goal is the thing.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2021 10:23]

Indeed, it's an ugly part of most professional sport & kit makes the game far less attractive to watch. It will only be reduced if meaningful penalties are introduced e.g. use of a sin bin. As you say, simply adding on the correct amount of time isn't a solution as it's also about disrupting the game.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 09:38 - Nov 15 with 699 viewstimothyeo

This time-wasting stuff is allowed across all leagues. If the Prem don't do anything about it (and bless their precious product is the only importance for them) then it's not going to change lower down the pyramid.

To be fair, it's up to the opposing team to reduce that as much as possible, organised high presses, winning the ball high up the pitch, forcing them into mistakes, not dangling legs out and letting them buy fouls etc.
So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 10:36 - Nov 15 with 635 viewsjayessess

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 09:11 - Nov 15 by Radlett_blue

Indeed, it's an ugly part of most professional sport & kit makes the game far less attractive to watch. It will only be reduced if meaningful penalties are introduced e.g. use of a sin bin. As you say, simply adding on the correct amount of time isn't a solution as it's also about disrupting the game.

The issue with a sin bin is that you can't penalise a team for having a player go down with an injury and you can't be asking the referee to assess whether an injury is genuine or not. Oxford did nothing you could reasonably sanction.

There is one inconsistency you could iron out, which is players coming back on. Saturday's ref was very keen to wave everyone straight back on. I do wonder if you could stipulate that players who go off for an injury aren't allowed back on until the next break in play. Not enough of a punishment to stop players going down if they're genuinely injured, but for sure enough to make you think twice about doing it if for tactical reasons.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 10:47 - Nov 15 with 616 viewsBluroo

We'd not have dropped 2 points v Cambridge if we'd played the closing stages with a modicum of "smarts", for starters. Well, that and not bringing on 3 attacking players whilst under the cosh.

I'm all for getting with the programme and not grumbling about the refs and the rules...
So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 10:56 - Nov 15 with 602 viewsRadlett_blue

So I've been giving this Time wasting stuff some thought.. on 10:36 - Nov 15 by jayessess

The issue with a sin bin is that you can't penalise a team for having a player go down with an injury and you can't be asking the referee to assess whether an injury is genuine or not. Oxford did nothing you could reasonably sanction.

There is one inconsistency you could iron out, which is players coming back on. Saturday's ref was very keen to wave everyone straight back on. I do wonder if you could stipulate that players who go off for an injury aren't allowed back on until the next break in play. Not enough of a punishment to stop players going down if they're genuinely injured, but for sure enough to make you think twice about doing it if for tactical reasons.

You can. Unless a player has a head injury, immediate treatment is not necessary & there is negligible risk if a player lies down injured for a minute or so. Once in the Oxford game, one of their players went down "injured" & when Oxford won the ball back, they didn't kick it out of play & the incompetent ref then stopped the game when Town had the ball again. Unfortunately, you can't so anything about players simulating head injures, which does happen as they know the ref will then have to stop the game. Making players wait to return has been tried but isn't fair on those who have been injured by a bad tackle.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024