Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. 15:49 - Dec 2 with 5354 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Can anyone name a few managers who came into a club that's been failing for years and turned them round in just one transfer window? I remember the days we used to think 2 or 3 windows were fair.

Did anyone genuinely think EVERY signing would work out this summer? When you go through what Cook has signed, they seem more hit than miss I'd say.

Mick obviously stopped the rot briefly when he came in, and pulled us away from relegation. Ultimately, over the course of his tenure, we were treading water really. We weren't moving forward.

Are there any more/better? I genuinely don't know and am genuinely interested (rather than looking for abuse, so try to be kind).

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:39 - Dec 2 with 544 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:23 - Dec 2 by Dubtractor

Mate, if you're just going to ignore the evidence in front of you then there is no point even asking questions.

Wigan started last season with a scratch team of kids having nearly gone out of business. Cook was already in charge of us too in case you forget.

And we weren't a mess, we were just perennial under achievers.

I'm not ignoring anything, I'm asking because I don't follow other clubs like I do ITFC. Richardson has done a great job, but he's been at Wigan since 2017. So he's been working with those players (and had a hand in signing them) for 4 years.

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:42 - Dec 2 with 528 viewsN2_Blue

I didn't expect to be promoted but the minimum for me was top 6 this season

I expected to be competitive towards the top of the table and not getting beaten by the likes of youth teams, Burton, Cheltenham, Accrington, Newport for example.

Of course I'd have been happy to give him 2 or 3 transfer windows to achieve promotion as tat is basically this season and next.

However we are so far off it's not happening and Cook is proving incapable of getting this side together as top 6 is nigh on impossible so I'd get rid.

I don't want 2022 ruined as well at the last 12 months by having another failure of a manager continue to sign good players thanks to Gamechanger but ones that do not work in his system.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 16:44]

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:43 - Dec 2 with 523 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:32 - Dec 2 by DanTheMan

Here's a fun one.

Paul Lambert for Norwich.

Just to add meat to the bones.

Previous finishes:
9th
16th
17th
22nd

Obvious downwards trajectory.

Lambert comes in after two games, Norwich win the League. I believe that's one transfer window and instant success.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 16:43]

Had 2 windows...

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:44 - Dec 2 with 522 viewstractorboy1978

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:39 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'm not ignoring anything, I'm asking because I don't follow other clubs like I do ITFC. Richardson has done a great job, but he's been at Wigan since 2017. So he's been working with those players (and had a hand in signing them) for 4 years.

They sold every player that was half decent or worth anything when they went into administration 18 months ago. In fact, Cook now has 3 of those players (Walton, Evans, Morsy). He's rebuilt the club from rubble, albeit being able to spend money in the summer. But he's got a side clicking and firing on a smaller budget 4 months quicker than Cook has so far managed.
One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:45 - Dec 2 with 515 viewstractorboy1978

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:43 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

Had 2 windows...

There was only one whole window between him taking over and them getting promoted from L1.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 16:46]
One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:45 - Dec 2 with 514 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:37 - Dec 2 by footers

Are the players responsible for Cook's line-ups or horrific in-game management?

There's only so much blame that they can shoulder, some has to be Cook's. And it's certainly not been good enough.

Where have I blamed the players?

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:46 - Dec 2 with 513 viewsDanTheMan

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:43 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

Had 2 windows...

How did he have two windows? He joined after the season started. At best he had the arse end of one and then the January window.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:48 - Dec 2 with 501 viewschrismakin

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:46 - Dec 2 by DanTheMan

How did he have two windows? He joined after the season started. At best he had the arse end of one and then the January window.

Plus PC had the luxury of 4 months of prep before the summer window.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Login to get fewer ads

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:51 - Dec 2 with 493 viewsfooters

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:45 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

Where have I blamed the players?

I'm merely pointing out that, players aside, Cook is still personally responsible for things outside of their control on the pitch and he's been found wanting. If you're expecting all this to come good eventually, then you'd also have to expect Cook to change the way he manages.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:54 - Dec 2 with 489 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:45 - Dec 2 by tractorboy1978

There was only one whole window between him taking over and them getting promoted from L1.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 16:46]

The summer transfer window closes on August 31st. Lambert was appointed on August 18th.

Ah, I see you've edited to say WHOLE window. Nice try, but I didn't say whole window. Lambert still had 2 weeks to sign players... and then again in the Jan window.

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:55 - Dec 2 with 482 viewschrismakin

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:54 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

The summer transfer window closes on August 31st. Lambert was appointed on August 18th.

Ah, I see you've edited to say WHOLE window. Nice try, but I didn't say whole window. Lambert still had 2 weeks to sign players... and then again in the Jan window.

2 weeks. He probably didn't even know the name of the squad until a week into that.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:55 - Dec 2 with 483 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:46 - Dec 2 by DanTheMan

See above. He had two weeks of the summer window and 4 weeks in the Jan window. Granted, that's not a lot, but he still had two opportunities to sign players.

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:57 - Dec 2 with 475 viewschrismakin

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:55 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

See above. He had two weeks of the summer window and 4 weeks in the Jan window. Granted, that's not a lot, but he still had two opportunities to sign players.

So based on time. PC had 10 times as long as Lambert had in his first window..

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:57 - Dec 2 with 478 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:48 - Dec 2 by chrismakin

Plus PC had the luxury of 4 months of prep before the summer window.

Read the OP again, it's pretty clear. I've not mentioned "prep" time, I've asked who has turned a club around in 1 window.

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:58 - Dec 2 with 470 viewschrismakin

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:57 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

Read the OP again, it's pretty clear. I've not mentioned "prep" time, I've asked who has turned a club around in 1 window.

Define 1 window as your version doesn't seem to match anyone else's..

Oh and I gave you the examples you wanted but you didn't reply. They were both 1 window and immediate results.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 16:59]

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:59 - Dec 2 with 469 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:55 - Dec 2 by chrismakin

2 weeks. He probably didn't even know the name of the squad until a week into that.

Not the point. There will be other coaches at the club who could tell him what was needed. And he had two weeks to work with them. That's half the length of the Jan window. Not ideal, but still a window.

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 17:01 - Dec 2 with 457 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:57 - Dec 2 by chrismakin

So based on time. PC had 10 times as long as Lambert had in his first window..

The length of the window is irrelevant. It's opportunities to sign players. Cook has only had one.

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 17:02 - Dec 2 with 443 viewschrismakin

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:59 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

Not the point. There will be other coaches at the club who could tell him what was needed. And he had two weeks to work with them. That's half the length of the Jan window. Not ideal, but still a window.

Half the length of the Jan window? You get 5 months of prep before the window.

You've come across an example you asked for but didn't expect to get one.. now trying desperately to show 2 weeks is a transfer window for a manager who joined a club who had just lost 7-1..

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 17:04 - Dec 2 with 442 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:58 - Dec 2 by chrismakin

Define 1 window as your version doesn't seem to match anyone else's..

Oh and I gave you the examples you wanted but you didn't reply. They were both 1 window and immediate results.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 16:59]

I've replied elsewhere. Richardson's been at Wigan for 4 years!

On 12 May 2015, Cook was appointed manager of League Two club Portsmouth after Portsmouth met Cook's release clause in his contract at Chesterfield.[11] Cook guided Portsmouth to the League Two title in the 2016/17 season.[12]

So that's 4 transfer windows...

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 17:04 - Dec 2 with 439 viewsPJH

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:54 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

That's interesting as his first game in charge was 3rd November.

edit-sorry, should have read the rest of the thread.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 17:10]
One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 17:07 - Dec 2 with 426 viewsFixed_It

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 17:04 - Dec 2 by PJH

That's interesting as his first game in charge was 3rd November.

edit-sorry, should have read the rest of the thread.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 17:10]

They're talking Norwich.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 17:08 - Dec 2 with 425 viewsDanTheMan

"Nice try"

Condescending, nice.

A whole two weeks, wow. He signed one whole player, a loan keeper. I'm sure that was all that was needed to turn the club around.

You're not really interested in a discussion though. You're asking for something so unbelievably specific that nobody is going to be able to meet your criteria.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 17:08 - Dec 2 with 422 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 17:02 - Dec 2 by chrismakin

Half the length of the Jan window? You get 5 months of prep before the window.

You've come across an example you asked for but didn't expect to get one.. now trying desperately to show 2 weeks is a transfer window for a manager who joined a club who had just lost 7-1..

No, it was a genuine question, I neither expected or didn't expect anything.

I'm not "trying desperately to show" anything. Two weeks isn't ideal, but it's still an opportunity to sign players. I'm damn sure the Cook outers would be calling it an opportunity if Cook had had it.

You've cited Cook at Pompey, saying he got them up after 1 window. After a quick look at wiki I see he had FOUR windows...

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 17:09 - Dec 2 with 413 viewschrismakin

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 17:04 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

I've replied elsewhere. Richardson's been at Wigan for 4 years!

On 12 May 2015, Cook was appointed manager of League Two club Portsmouth after Portsmouth met Cook's release clause in his contract at Chesterfield.[11] Cook guided Portsmouth to the League Two title in the 2016/17 season.[12]

So that's 4 transfer windows...

Hang on. You didn't say anything about promotion you said turned them around.

At both pompy and Wigan in 1 window he brought in a load of players. They had solid pre seasons and started the first 2 months winning games..( see the difference with here?) and subsequently having successful seasons in comparison to the season before. Which is what you asked for.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 17:09]

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 17:09 - Dec 2 with 412 viewsPJH

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 17:07 - Dec 2 by Fixed_It

They're talking Norwich.

Yeah, sorry just saw that.
I was coming back in to edit my post.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024