Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else considering not going Saturday? 11:44 - Dec 13 with 9755 viewshomer_123

I maybe in a minority and everyone has a choice to make, so this isn't a plea to stop people going.

I'm probably not going to go....not had booster yet, booked for next week. So, although double jabbed, likely I'll miss.

Having weighed everything up - just too close to Xmas to take a risk of contracting Covid and scuppering Xmas plans.

I know a fair few people who, on the run up to Xmas, seem to be limiting social contact etc.

Anyone else thinking the same?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:47 - Dec 13 with 4564 viewsHerbivore

I'm feeling uneasy about it. Leaning towards going as things stand but feel a bit unsure. As you say, with it being close to Christmas it feels like a risk.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:50 - Dec 13 with 4534 viewsunbelievablue

I'm wavering, but nothing to do with covid. Still feeling quietly confident that I have adequate protection against all variants given my profile.

The team on the other hand? Meh.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:50 - Dec 13 with 4505 viewsStokieBlue

Many who aren't vaccinated are going to struggle to get in if the rules are followed given the NHS in England has now run out of LFT tests:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/13/no-more-home-covid-tests-available

Was inevitable given the guidance to basically do LFT's when going anywhere or doing them for 7 days when you've been in contact with someone with covid.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:51 - Dec 13 with 4495 viewsGuthrum

It actually has a name - Lockdown From Below. People opting not to attend social events or go to venues like pubs and restaurants through caution over being exposed to Covid. And is becoming increasingly common.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:52 - Dec 13 with 4473 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:50 - Dec 13 by unbelievablue

I'm wavering, but nothing to do with covid. Still feeling quietly confident that I have adequate protection against all variants given my profile.

The team on the other hand? Meh.

Without wanting too many details, unless you're boosted then your profile is pretty irrelevant in regards to having protection from Omicron.

SB

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:53 - Dec 13 with 4456 viewshomer_123

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:51 - Dec 13 by Guthrum

It actually has a name - Lockdown From Below. People opting not to attend social events or go to venues like pubs and restaurants through caution over being exposed to Covid. And is becoming increasingly common.

Is it a 'bad thing'?

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:54 - Dec 13 with 4424 viewsOsborneOneNil

As it stands, I’m going to go.
Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:54 - Dec 13 with 4417 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Been thinking the same, will probably still go though. Just a worry so close to Christmas, don't want to ruin my plans!
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:54 - Dec 13 with 4413 viewshomer_123

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:54 - Dec 13 by OsborneOneNil

As it stands, I’m going to go.

Fair play fella.

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:55 - Dec 13 with 4409 viewsunbelievablue

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:52 - Dec 13 by StokieBlue

Without wanting too many details, unless you're boosted then your profile is pretty irrelevant in regards to having protection from Omicron.

SB

There isn't enough data to suggest either way, actually.

EDIT FOR ABOVE - I mean in terms of severe illness, hospitalizations and deaths.

That said, I am extremely unlikely to get sick, hospitalised or die from any variant of Covid-19 in spite of vaccination OR booster status. Those are as close to facts as you'll get in this pandemic.

EDIT FOR ABOVE - Please do not mistake this for selfishness. I was responding to a comment about my profile in particular, as opposed to my stance on the pandemic as a whole.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2021 12:26]

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:56 - Dec 13 with 4389 viewsTractorCam

If you don't want to have covid for christmas then that makes sense given how close we are. My personal opinion is you shouldnt live in fear of the fact you may, unlikely, catch it and enjoy social activities incase we get locked down again.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:57 - Dec 13 with 4362 viewshomer_123

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:56 - Dec 13 by TractorCam

If you don't want to have covid for christmas then that makes sense given how close we are. My personal opinion is you shouldnt live in fear of the fact you may, unlikely, catch it and enjoy social activities incase we get locked down again.

Oh, I'm kinda wedded to the fact that I'll catch it eventually. I'd just rather 'try' and not feck up the Xmas plans by getting it just before!

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:57 - Dec 13 with 4363 viewsGuthrum

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:53 - Dec 13 by homer_123

Is it a 'bad thing'?

Depends what your perspective is.

In terms of public health, any form of social distancing is going to be a help.

But from the point of view of the hospitality industry - lacking the financial support an official lockdown would probably bring - it's a disaster at one of the busiest times of the year. Plus it may increase the social isolation of people who may have been suffering over the past 20 months.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:59 - Dec 13 with 4307 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:55 - Dec 13 by unbelievablue

EDIT FOR ABOVE - I mean in terms of severe illness, hospitalizations and deaths.

That said, I am extremely unlikely to get sick, hospitalised or die from any variant of Covid-19 in spite of vaccination OR booster status. Those are as close to facts as you'll get in this pandemic.

EDIT FOR ABOVE - Please do not mistake this for selfishness. I was responding to a comment about my profile in particular, as opposed to my stance on the pandemic as a whole.

"There isn't enough data to suggest either way, actually."

This is untrue and it's probably best not to spread untruths around the forum.

SB

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:59 - Dec 13 with 4298 viewsElderGrizzly

Yep same.

Booster tomorrow, but too much uncertainty of how 'bad' Omicron is and we've got older relatives to think about over Christmas.

We're taking Grizz Jr out of nursery from this week too as cases rocketing here
Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 12:01 - Dec 13 with 4244 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:52 - Dec 13 by StokieBlue

SB

Protection in terms of getting it, but not necessarily in terms of how impacted you'd be.

If you're 30 odd, in decent health etc you are still unlikely to get particularly sick with it.

That's obviously a selfish way of looking at it, and I'm on board with much of what you've said throughout covid, but balance is of course important.
Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 12:02 - Dec 13 with 4207 viewsElderGrizzly

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:55 - Dec 13 by unbelievablue

You might not, those close to you might.

Which is the whole point.
Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 12:03 - Dec 13 with 4203 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:59 - Dec 13 by ElderGrizzly

Yep same.

Booster tomorrow, but too much uncertainty of how 'bad' Omicron is and we've got older relatives to think about over Christmas.

We're taking Grizz Jr out of nursery from this week too as cases rocketing here

We've been thinking of doing the same re nursery.

Have my booster this afternoon.
Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 12:03 - Dec 13 with 4201 viewsChurchman

I fully understand what you are saying. It’s very much for people to weigh up how they feel/the perceived risks and do what they’re comfortable with.

I was due to meet an old golfing buddy in London tomorrow for the first time in a couple of years. Much as myself and our mutual chum have boon looking forward to it, I’ve postponed it for now as I just don’t think it’s worth the risk, given I’ll be seeing my elderly dad at the weekend and the unknowns around this variant.
Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 12:03 - Dec 13 with 4201 viewshomer_123

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:57 - Dec 13 by Guthrum

Depends what your perspective is.

In terms of public health, any form of social distancing is going to be a help.

But from the point of view of the hospitality industry - lacking the financial support an official lockdown would probably bring - it's a disaster at one of the busiest times of the year. Plus it may increase the social isolation of people who may have been suffering over the past 20 months.

If it wasn't for Xmas and the plans we have, I'd be going. So, from my perspective, it's driven more by wanting to ensure that Xmas can go ahead without any issues.

In effect easing back social contact in the run up to minimise exposure and risk.

So, I don't believe it's a Lockdown from the Bottom as you are suggesting, for me personally. Just, for this one thing, being a tad more cautious.

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 12:04 - Dec 13 with 4181 viewsunbelievablue

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 11:59 - Dec 13 by StokieBlue

"There isn't enough data to suggest either way, actually."

This is untrue and it's probably best not to spread untruths around the forum.

SB

Woah, chill. If you'd like to point me towards the truth please do so and I'll recant my suggestion that we're yet to see consistent enough data.

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 12:05 - Dec 13 with 4157 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 12:01 - Dec 13 by PrideOfTheEast

Protection in terms of getting it, but not necessarily in terms of how impacted you'd be.

If you're 30 odd, in decent health etc you are still unlikely to get particularly sick with it.

That's obviously a selfish way of looking at it, and I'm on board with much of what you've said throughout covid, but balance is of course important.

Protection and impact are two different things, totally agree.

He is however questioning the data around protection and he's totally wrong there, the evidence is entirely clear that two doses doesn't offer protection from contracting Omicron and then passing it on to someone less able to cope with the infection than others.

SB
[Post edited 13 Dec 2021 12:05]

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 12:05 - Dec 13 with 4155 viewsunbelievablue

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 12:02 - Dec 13 by ElderGrizzly

You might not, those close to you might.

Which is the whole point.

Please do not mistake my comment on insufficient data for selfishness.

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 12:06 - Dec 13 with 4136 viewsIpswich24

Most people on here don't go anyway!

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 12:06 - Dec 13 with 4130 viewsunbelievablue

Anyone else considering not going Saturday? on 12:05 - Dec 13 by StokieBlue

Protection and impact are two different things, totally agree.

He is however questioning the data around protection and he's totally wrong there, the evidence is entirely clear that two doses doesn't offer protection from contracting Omicron and then passing it on to someone less able to cope with the infection than others.

SB
[Post edited 13 Dec 2021 12:05]

Just for clarity, I didn't say (or mean) that you were less likely to contract it based on profile or vaccination status.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024