Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Celina was excellent today 18:33 - Jan 22 with 6304 viewsDubtractor

There are a few on here who, inexplicably, don't see what he does for us. Today should have shown them the error of their ways.

So much of our best football went through him, and I thought it was probably his best performance since rejoining. If we can get him performing like that every week we'll turn over a lot of teams.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Celina was excellent today on 08:13 - Jan 23 with 1097 viewsVic

Celina was excellent today on 19:49 - Jan 22 by N2_Blue

Great performance from Santi today. Anyone who doesn't think he should be playing for us is crazy. He's playing a league to low.

He misses passes sometimes but that's because he is trying low percentage killer balls to open defences

Really please to here how well he played today.

I’m not anti Santi and have never doubted that he has that extra something, be it a killer pass or goal out of nowhere. I’ve just not been convinced in the past that he brought enough to the table generally to be a regular starter. Very happy that I may well be wrong!

As a matter of interest how do his passes and assists etc, compare, to the other midfielders? From what you’re all saying I suspect they are pretty good and I’m going to have to revise my opinion of him!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Celina was excellent today on 08:16 - Jan 23 with 1086 viewsHerbivore

The problem Santi, and all players like him, have when it comes to fan perception is that they see the quality he's capable of producing and expect him to produce that multiple times a game. If he could do that he'd be a Prem player, let alone a Championship one. When you step back and look at his goals, assists, key passes etc. his stats are very good. He offers us an awful lot, he's a quality footballer. There will be times when stuff doesn't come off but aside from a handful of the very elite that's true of all flair players. He also puts in a shift contrary to popular belief.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Celina was excellent today on 09:49 - Jan 23 with 1044 viewstractorboy1978

Those that said we should send him back need their heads testing. Quality player that will be crucial to us for the rest of the season.
Celina was excellent today on 09:55 - Jan 23 with 1031 viewsblueislander

Celina was excellent today on 09:49 - Jan 23 by tractorboy1978

Those that said we should send him back need their heads testing. Quality player that will be crucial to us for the rest of the season.

There is just one element missing in his game; consistency.
Celina was excellent today on 09:59 - Jan 23 with 1028 viewsStokieBlue

Celina was excellent today on 09:55 - Jan 23 by blueislander

Once again though, this isn't really true and is a lazy stereotype which to be honest I am a bit tired of reading.

As Herbs pointed out, he's often going for the killer pass to unlock defences and hence when it doesn't come off people claim inconsistency. It's simply not true, if you look at the stats he's basically our most consistent player for creating chances.

16 played
4 goals
4 assists

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/ipswich-town/top-scorers/assists

I'm not sure how that can be seen as inconsistent really, especially as the first matches he was still getting his fitness back from his severe covid effects and it also includes sub appearances. If he was even more consistent we wouldn't have him and he's actually improving, I expect those stats to improve over the rest of the season.

The narrative around Celina that some post on here is not really based on evidence in my opinion.

SB
[Post edited 23 Jan 2022 10:00]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Celina was excellent today on 10:00 - Jan 23 with 1022 viewsDubtractor

Celina was excellent today on 20:26 - Jan 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

Lol...cheeky. Don't think I have particularly dug him out before but yes today was defo his best showing and he was indeed doing the nasty stuff too . As stated above, his best overall performance this season. Got a lovely view of his pass for the goal from where we sit, where were you today.? Junior seems to have the bug now so long may the home wins continue.

I know you haven't dug him out, but you're def in the 'he flatters to deceive' camp aren't you?

I was pretty much diagonally opposite you, in the Pioneer (or whatever they call it these days). So was in the perfect position to see Burns finish the pass!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Celina was excellent today on 10:01 - Jan 23 with 1021 viewstractorboy1978

Really? I think he's consistently good and sometimes he is absolutely spectacular. His season has been pretty stop start due to injuries/COVID but his goals/assists to minutes ratio must be as good if not better than anybody elses. We have absolutely no right to have him at this level.
Celina was excellent today on 10:06 - Jan 23 with 1002 viewsjayessess

Celina was excellent today on 08:13 - Jan 23 by Vic

Really please to here how well he played today.

I’m not anti Santi and have never doubted that he has that extra something, be it a killer pass or goal out of nowhere. I’ve just not been convinced in the past that he brought enough to the table generally to be a regular starter. Very happy that I may well be wrong!

As a matter of interest how do his passes and assists etc, compare, to the other midfielders? From what you’re all saying I suspect they are pretty good and I’m going to have to revise my opinion of him!

He's our 2nd best player (per 90) for chance creation (behind Fraser), 4th for shots . None of our players are troubling the top 10 in the division for either of those stats though.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

Celina was excellent today on 10:07 - Jan 23 with 998 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Celina was excellent today on 09:59 - Jan 23 by StokieBlue

Once again though, this isn't really true and is a lazy stereotype which to be honest I am a bit tired of reading.

As Herbs pointed out, he's often going for the killer pass to unlock defences and hence when it doesn't come off people claim inconsistency. It's simply not true, if you look at the stats he's basically our most consistent player for creating chances.

16 played
4 goals
4 assists

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/ipswich-town/top-scorers/assists

I'm not sure how that can be seen as inconsistent really, especially as the first matches he was still getting his fitness back from his severe covid effects and it also includes sub appearances. If he was even more consistent we wouldn't have him and he's actually improving, I expect those stats to improve over the rest of the season.

The narrative around Celina that some post on here is not really based on evidence in my opinion.

SB
[Post edited 23 Jan 2022 10:00]

The narrative posted on here is often based on observed experience....you?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Celina was excellent today on 10:09 - Jan 23 with 985 viewsHerbivore

Really not sure that's the case. He contributes when he's on the pitch, as Stokie has pointed out he contributes a goal or assist 1 in every 2 appearances. That's an excellent contribution for an attacking midfielder. Of course we'd love him to be producing even more but if that was the case he'd be even further out of our league.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Celina was excellent today on 10:12 - Jan 23 with 978 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Celina was excellent today on 10:00 - Jan 23 by Dubtractor

I know you haven't dug him out, but you're def in the 'he flatters to deceive' camp aren't you?

I was pretty much diagonally opposite you, in the Pioneer (or whatever they call it these days). So was in the perfect position to see Burns finish the pass!

There is no doubt he is a quality ball player. Strangely it is often his simpler passes that go awry and he has been observably reluctant to chase back so more the 'needs to show more' camp! Yesterday he definitely showed more so all good. Long may it continue.
Watching the highlights both finishes were superb and required more than immediately apparent...I like the bit with the fella shouting 'give it' at Celina!
[Post edited 23 Jan 2022 10:14]

Celina was excellent today on 10:15 - Jan 23 with 969 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Celina was excellent today on 10:07 - Jan 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

The narrative posted on here is often based on observed experience....you?

Your down vote answers that quite nicely Dave!

Celina was excellent today on 11:29 - Jan 23 with 942 viewsblueislander

Celina was excellent today on 10:09 - Jan 23 by Herbivore

Really not sure that's the case. He contributes when he's on the pitch, as Stokie has pointed out he contributes a goal or assist 1 in every 2 appearances. That's an excellent contribution for an attacking midfielder. Of course we'd love him to be producing even more but if that was the case he'd be even further out of our league.

That isn’t true. There are games when his contribution is minimal.
Celina was excellent today on 11:38 - Jan 23 with 927 viewspowinswitch

Celina was excellent today on 11:29 - Jan 23 by blueislander

Whilst realising he is a very skilful footballer, I’ve not been convinced by him this loan. Yesterday was totally different. A great performance. He did what he does well, very well, and he did the chasing down and fighting for the ball very well too. And he did it against a team who were sh1thousing for 90 mins. Well played Bersant. Pleased to be proved wrong
Celina was excellent today on 11:51 - Jan 23 with 919 viewsSteve_M

Celina was excellent today on 22:55 - Jan 22 by N2_Blue

Dispels the myth that we can't play Celina and Chaplin together. Benching Norwood and playing those two worked a treat. They were both brilliant.

We've got great options, playing two up top or 1 striker with 2 of Celina, Chaplin, Aluko. Already Mckenna has mixed formation up more than Cook did in 44 games.

What i loved about Celina and Chaplin today was how central they both were even with an out and out striker on the pitch. None of this wasting them out wide.

McKenna has been excellent so far, irrespective or results. He's got something reckon. Early days but it really could be a real coup for us.

“ Dispels the myth that we can't play Celina and Chaplin together. Benching Norwood and playing those two worked a treat.”

That said, for the first 30 minutes we didn’t play particularly well, gave Accrington too much time on the ball and struggled to create a lot. Bonne did miss what looked a really good chance from the other end but I did wonder if we were missing Norwood‘s physicality at that stage.

We got better though, I think Carrroll settling after a slow start helped a bit too but the control set showed in the second half was very good. Norwood helped see the game out too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Celina was excellent today on 11:55 - Jan 23 with 898 viewstextbackup

Celina was excellent today on 18:47 - Jan 22 by Herbivore

He was excellent today. Completely made that first goal out of almost nothing.

i've watched that goal about 20 times now things i noticed, and that when all pieced together, make a brilliant team goal.

- wolfs calm headed to chaplin from defending a corner
- chaplins brilliant touch, vison, and ball to celina
- KVYs run to take the man away from celina, opening up space
- morsys run to do the same
- burns just getting head down to run the length of pitch
- celinas ball through
- burns finish

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Celina was excellent today on 12:01 - Jan 23 with 893 viewstextbackup

Celina was excellent today on 08:16 - Jan 23 by Herbivore

The problem Santi, and all players like him, have when it comes to fan perception is that they see the quality he's capable of producing and expect him to produce that multiple times a game. If he could do that he'd be a Prem player, let alone a Championship one. When you step back and look at his goals, assists, key passes etc. his stats are very good. He offers us an awful lot, he's a quality footballer. There will be times when stuff doesn't come off but aside from a handful of the very elite that's true of all flair players. He also puts in a shift contrary to popular belief.

the shift he puts in is probably down to the season he had under MM, he would have fully aware of his duty to defend from the front...

Celina was excellent today on 12:04 - Jan 23 with 886 viewstextbackup

Celina was excellent today on 11:51 - Jan 23 by Steve_M

“ Dispels the myth that we can't play Celina and Chaplin together. Benching Norwood and playing those two worked a treat.”

That said, for the first 30 minutes we didn’t play particularly well, gave Accrington too much time on the ball and struggled to create a lot. Bonne did miss what looked a really good chance from the other end but I did wonder if we were missing Norwood‘s physicality at that stage.

We got better though, I think Carrroll settling after a slow start helped a bit too but the control set showed in the second half was very good. Norwood helped see the game out too.

as great as norwood has been of late i think him not starting was a master stroke from KMc. he would have known it was going to be a battle, and i think had norwood started it would have turned into a full war between him and their back 4.... could have gone one of two ways, norwood sent off, or norwood saves the day and bashes them to bits.

glad we took the approach we did, and was nice to get him on to see the game out

Celina was excellent today on 15:44 - Jan 23 with 820 viewsbilllm

Take wycombe away out of the equation, I enjoyed watching his craft yesterday, had a very good game,
Celina was excellent today on 16:04 - Jan 23 with 800 viewsN2_Blue

don't agree. He's been fairly strong in all games he's played and been one of our most impressive performers this season.

He also works his socks off and tracks. People who say he doesn't do the defensive side i think are just making stuff up.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Celina was excellent today on 16:08 - Jan 23 with 796 viewsN2_Blue

Celina was excellent today on 12:04 - Jan 23 by textbackup

as great as norwood has been of late i think him not starting was a master stroke from KMc. he would have known it was going to be a battle, and i think had norwood started it would have turned into a full war between him and their back 4.... could have gone one of two ways, norwood sent off, or norwood saves the day and bashes them to bits.

glad we took the approach we did, and was nice to get him on to see the game out

agreed.

I also think Norwood may have got himself sent off in that game had he started and been wound up by the Accrington sh*thousery.

Good decision by McKenna and worked very well after the slow start.

Celina was excellent today on 16:12 - Jan 23 with 786 viewsN2_Blue

It's really not.

Maybe less contribution in some games where the whole team has contributed nothing. But he has contributed more than most in the squad so this view on him is really odd.

Compare to some like Fraser who has contributed very little all season and is anonymous a lot of the time even in games where we've been on top.

Celina was excellent today on 16:15 - Jan 23 with 776 viewsIpswichKnight

Celina was excellent today on 11:51 - Jan 23 by Steve_M

Burns also missed 2 chances, 1 where he tried to hit it first time and blazed over, he had so much space should have taken the touch and then placed it. 2nd one blazed over again when if rolled along 6 yard box Chaplin was totally unmarked at back post with a tap in. However he’d already buried one on the first touch so not overly surprised he tried again.

We let them dictate and push us around for most of the 1st half we gave them very little in the 2nd half. It was interesting to see us take such a high line for free kicks were not letting them get balls into our box if we could help it.
Celina was excellent today on 16:15 - Jan 23 with 776 viewsStokieBlue

It's clearly not true though as the stats show.

Which games are you talking about precisely.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Celina was excellent today on 16:22 - Jan 23 with 757 viewsFrimleyBlue

Celina was excellent today on 16:15 - Jan 23 by StokieBlue

It's clearly not true though as the stats show.

Which games are you talking about precisely.

SB

SB you're entitled to your view as well as others with theirs

The stats you put out. 16 games 4 goals 4 assist to prove your point. That includes 1 game where he scored 2 goals and had 2 assists. So the remaining Is 15 games 2 goals 2 assists, its therefore not a surprise he is someone which splits opinion. You seem to take it personally that people have their own views on him.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024