Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What’s your thoughts on Thompson? 17:28 - Feb 14 with 3042 viewsbrazil1981

Must admit 4 matches in and I’ve still not seen anything to show me he warrants a place ahead to of KVY or Penny. Showed absolutely nothing going forward on Saturday and defensively looked iffy , allowed their winger to get several dangerous crosses in.

Certainly not “improving the squad” IMO. Is Penny injured….I know he can be inconsistent but at least he’ll get down the wing and take on full-backs/get decent crossed over!
[Post edited 14 Feb 2022 17:28]
What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 17:36 - Feb 14 with 2969 viewsDennyx4

Personally think he is better defensively than Penney & KVY - looks better in the air than both too.

Agree hasn't offered much going forwards yet, but still only a few games into his loan spell.
What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 17:38 - Feb 14 with 2949 viewsFrimleyBlue

He's OK. Biggest weakness is his allowance if crossing opportunities for opponents. He leaves far to much space.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 17:42 - Feb 14 with 2919 viewsGarv

Probably less likely to be bullied than Penney or KVY but just as likely to concede crosses and on the evidence so far much less likely to get forward and deliver crosses. We miss Penney bombing on and his crossing ability.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 17:50 - Feb 14 with 2865 viewsOsborneOneNil

Trying not to knock players but I agree with the OP. We commented on it Saturday that he didn't seem to offer more than Penney or KVY. He didn't get tight to their wide man and stop the cross (which almost produced a goal in first half stoppage time). He never really had a meaningful go at getting forward (although this could be down to Mck instructions). Also noted that he attempted 2 or 3 crosses, all poor.

But, early days, maybe he will settle and improve.

Whilst on it, I thought Jackson did ok. I was disappointed to see him start but fair play, he wasn't bad at all. Far better than Bonne and Norwood btw. They were miles off it.

Morsy was on a different level to every other player btw. Class.
What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 17:59 - Feb 14 with 2801 viewsDarkHorse

I've been impressed. I think the left-hand side of the team looks stronger now and he's technically better than Penney or KVY - they might be better from an attacking POV but are a risk defensively and don't have someone like JD behind them to cover like Burns has on the right. Also, think he's looked sharper game-by-game and am interested to see how he develops under McK and whether he can add some better decision making to his attacking play.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2022 18:05]
What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 18:02 - Feb 14 with 2794 viewsMerseyBlue

Haven't had the best of him yet but like Bakinson, I have seen enough in the 3 games I have seen to believe they will improve the side.

I think Thompson is better going forward than many believe. He seems to have been asked to play more defensively in the first half, and has looked to play forward a bit more in the second. It hasn't really come off and he hasn't fully committed to it yet, but there have been little glints of quality that give me hope.

It's the same story with Bakinson on that front too. Let's not forget that he now needs to get used to a slightly different role in a partnership with Morsy.

Hopefully they will both hit their stride in the next two or three games, it could make a huge difference.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 18:02 - Feb 14 with 2791 viewsclive_baker

Looks in a different league to Penney to me. Has improved in every game he's played, has played his part in 3 clean sheets in his 4 games and only 1 conceded. Likes to get forward too, swung a couple of decent balls into the box in recent weeks. As good as Burns has been this season, and he's certainly due an off day, but Thompson was the better of the 2 on Saturday.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 18:26 - Feb 14 with 2676 viewsBigCommon

I really like him.. .. Easily our best LB/LWB , imo.. Adds a bit of physicality and height to that position.. We look more solid...He's a very consistent performer. He got done once down the line on Saturday. But can't think of any other times during his 4 games that its happened. (don't mind being corrected if I'm wrong on that)... He will go on to play at a much higher level, imo....
Login to get fewer ads

What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 18:37 - Feb 14 with 2621 viewsFixed_It

I think he is fine - strengthens our left-sided options and has a confidence about him that reflects his pedigree. He is clearly technically sound, and has improved game on game as he gets to know his teammates.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 18:57 - Feb 14 with 2511 viewsLankHenners

He's a full back that gets forward more than an out and out LWB for me but has definitely contributed to the solidity of the defence. Much less of a liability than Penney and is improving with each game. Tougher for him on Saturday but linked up well with Celina against Doncaster and put some good balls in from a deeper position.

Seems a smart tactical move from McKenna to have him be slightly more defensive minded than Burns as it allows Donacien to get forwards on the opposite flank whilst maintaining a solid foundation behind him.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 18:58 - Feb 14 with 2498 viewsborge

Absolutely terrible. I have seen all four of his games so far and have seen nothing to suggest he should be in the team ahead of KVY or Penney. People keep telling me he adds more from a defensive perspective but the amount of times he let crosses come in on Saturday suggests otherwise. With a very solid central back three, we need the wing backs to be very good going forward to provide service to the forwards and that's certainly not happening from Thompson.

I do also think that Burns has been playing too deep since McKenna came in (albeit I felt he was playing further forward for much of the game on Saturday).

Getting the defence sorted was obviously no bad thing, but I don't think Thompson has added to that.
What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 19:14 - Feb 14 with 2408 viewsDavoIPB

He is a lot more solid in defence. Edmundson not having to cover. Penney better than KVY in defence but Thompson the best. Edmundson just covered for KVY and Penney.

His delivery into the box is a lot better and he delivers from deep. Improving all the time. Give him time and he will prove a good player.
What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 19:26 - Feb 14 with 2360 viewsC_Jam_Blue

I feel the balance is better now when we are playing McK's 2 favoured No.10's Chaplin and Celina. While Burns can bomb on down the right, Thompson is more measured on the left and probably allows Celina in particular more licence to press forward.
What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 19:28 - Feb 14 with 2343 viewsLeoMuff

Had his best game for us Saturday, and looks like he has a good touch and solid defensively, much more so than Penney definitely, however limited going forwards and to me you need that with three at the back. I personally preferred KVY but if it’s at the expense of clean sheets, we should stick with Thompson.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 20:31 - Feb 14 with 2135 viewsChurchman

One goal conceded in four games with Thompson in the side? The one thing I wouldn’t tinker with at the moment is the defence.
What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 20:58 - Feb 14 with 2070 viewsArnieM

I think both Bakinson and Thompson are improving. Don’t forget they’re having to adjust to the physicality of League One. Both are technically good , it’s just at this level it’s often squashed by hairy arsed opponents…. Whilst neither are the finished article , both are improving .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 23:15 - Feb 14 with 1843 viewsPioneerBlue

Good addition to the squad at a time when the left side isn’t nailed down. He’s been looking more up to speed as each game goes by. He has an eye for a forward pass. I would like to see more in the final third.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 01:24 - Feb 15 with 1642 viewsBondiBlue

What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 19:26 - Feb 14 by C_Jam_Blue

I feel the balance is better now when we are playing McK's 2 favoured No.10's Chaplin and Celina. While Burns can bomb on down the right, Thompson is more measured on the left and probably allows Celina in particular more licence to press forward.

This. I'd guess the perceived reticence to get forward is actually mckenna's instruction. It allows burns to get as far forward as possible on the right while maintaining numbers to deal with opposition counters. Good point about celina too - he's not great at chasing back to cover for a LWB who has lost the ball near the corner flag.

Poll: Which would you accept?

What’s your thoughts on Thompson? on 09:40 - Feb 15 with 1404 viewsMaySixth

Thompson is a big upgrade on Penney and just ahead of KVY at the moment

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024