Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Strikers for next season? 08:12 - Mar 20 with 1539 viewssohamblue74

The consensus seems to be that we need 2 new strikers next season, to score the necessary 25 to 30 goals for automatic promotion from this awful 3rd division.

So who do people suggest that we sign?

Presumably McKenna will get a young striker in on loan from Man Ure.

How about Cole Stockton from Morecambe, or Alfie May from Cheltenham?

We tried a similar formula for Pigott, but that has clearly not worked.

Any other realistic targets out there?
[Post edited 20 Mar 2022 8:13]
Strikers for next season? on 08:21 - Mar 20 with 1478 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Given 'the project' I don't think there are many that are unrealistic, but we do need players with enough technical skill to unpick teams that park the bus as it were when we play them.

We've lacked the ability to do that consistently for a long time now.

So, I think we are going to need something else in midfield too, or at LWB.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Strikers for next season? on 09:02 - Mar 20 with 1378 viewsjayessess

Can't see that Stockton or May fit the profile we'd look for in a number 9. Their career stats to date don't suggest either is much of an upgrade on Pigott and neither impressed me the last time we played.

Neither is the style that McKenna seems to prefer (quick, athletic, good at pressing and running the channels).

There's a lot of chat about getting a Man U player on loan, but I can't see any likely candidates. We aren't going to want an 18/19-year-old to lead the line and anyone good and 20+ they'll want to send to a higher level if they can.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Strikers for next season? on 09:06 - Mar 20 with 1339 viewstractorboy1978

Strikers for next season? on 09:02 - Mar 20 by jayessess

Can't see that Stockton or May fit the profile we'd look for in a number 9. Their career stats to date don't suggest either is much of an upgrade on Pigott and neither impressed me the last time we played.

Neither is the style that McKenna seems to prefer (quick, athletic, good at pressing and running the channels).

There's a lot of chat about getting a Man U player on loan, but I can't see any likely candidates. We aren't going to want an 18/19-year-old to lead the line and anyone good and 20+ they'll want to send to a higher level if they can.

I think we will sign Parrott.
Strikers for next season? on 09:10 - Mar 20 with 1331 viewsjayessess

Strikers for next season? on 09:06 - Mar 20 by tractorboy1978

I think we will sign Parrott.

Troy's got a lot of good attributes, but 5 goals in 33 doesn't scream "come and get me", does it?

Strikers for next season? on 09:12 - Mar 20 with 1322 viewstextbackup

We’ll be shopping in the championship for a striker, and or the prem loan market

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Strikers for next season? on 09:16 - Mar 20 with 1297 viewstractorboy1978

Strikers for next season? on 09:10 - Mar 20 by jayessess

Troy's got a lot of good attributes, but 5 goals in 33 doesn't scream "come and get me", does it?

Doesn't straight off the bat but at just turned 20, he's been a regular in an MK side that play the same way we like to and have been more successful at it over the course of the season. Worked with McKenna before and you'd fancy he would think he could unlock him.
Strikers for next season? on 09:28 - Mar 20 with 1240 viewsjayessess

Strikers for next season? on 09:12 - Mar 20 by textbackup

We’ll be shopping in the championship for a striker, and or the prem loan market

Championship, for sure.

In terms of Prem loan market - go down the top scorers list for League One and you see how hard it is for young strikers in this league. There's not a single teenager with 10 league goals this season, the youngest actual striker to hit that mark is 24 (Sam Smith, Cambridge) and mostly it's players in their late 20s.

Not a lot of precedent for L1 clubs loaning youth players and getting a 20-goal season out of them.

Strikers for next season? on 09:59 - Mar 20 with 1155 viewsmylittletown

Looks like Jackson is the quick, run the channels, option, so we might need back up for him.
We then need at least two down the middle and/or back to goal options. Can't see him keeping any of the existing trio, and to be fair, they haven't really fitted in since McK arrived.
Login to get fewer ads

Strikers for next season? on 12:34 - Mar 20 with 963 viewsSheffordBlue

One option would be to go for an Aluko/Carroll type signing as one of the forwards. Someone with Prem experience coming to the backend of their career on a short deal. For that sort of player who wants to go into coaching we would be a good place to come and learn the coaching side from McKenna.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Strikers for next season? on 12:40 - Mar 20 with 945 viewsFrimleyBlue

Troy parrot
Twine
May
Eisa

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Strikers for next season? on 12:53 - Mar 20 with 920 viewsOldFart71

Think we need another Pablo Counago. Someone from the Spanish or Italian lower leagues or go Dutch (That doesn't mean I'm putting any money in, by the way).
Strikers for next season? on 12:58 - Mar 20 with 910 viewsDinDjarin

No doubt we will have offers in for Morsy, Chaplin, Wolf, Fridge so hopefully we can retain them all and add in the key areas, LWB and Strikers.

Aluko must be given an extension and hopefully Celina stays.

Would not be surprised if one of Wolf or Fridge is sold if a decent offer comes in to give funds for new players. Baggot seems almost ready to be part of the 1st team and is highly rated.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2022 13:00]
Strikers for next season? on 13:10 - Mar 20 with 864 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Think it will be someone who doesn’t have a proven record of goals, because that all nonsense anyway, we’ve tried that loads of times and it hasn’t worked.

Think McKenna wants someone who runs in behind and creates space for Chaplin Celina etc.

So Kayden Jackson with more quality

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Strikers for next season? on 13:13 - Mar 20 with 853 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Strikers for next season? on 12:53 - Mar 20 by OldFart71

Think we need another Pablo Counago. Someone from the Spanish or Italian lower leagues or go Dutch (That doesn't mean I'm putting any money in, by the way).

That’s a non starter due to Brexit

Poll: Our final position

Strikers for next season? on 14:59 - Mar 20 with 733 viewsmylittletown

Strikers for next season? on 13:13 - Mar 20 by southnorfolkblue

That’s a non starter due to Brexit

To be fair, Pablo was a Spanish U21 international who was on the books of Celta Vigo, for whom he made 8 sub appearances in La Liga. He had made all of his other Spanish league appearances in Segunda División on loan to Numancia, as an 18 year old and Recreativo de Huelva, so he wasn't exactly scrabbling about in the lower divisions.

You are right, though, Brexit has scuppered a lot of talent spotting, in football as in many other professions. Anyway, never mind, we can always get a less good Brit.
Strikers for next season? on 15:24 - Mar 20 with 689 viewsbournemouthblue

Personally I'd like to see Tyreece Simpson before the end of the season, my fear is he just isn't going to sign a new contract and will be off which will be a real shame

I'd like to see what he is like and what he has about him, he looks our best prospect since Wickham and Rhodes imho

Bonne for his form under Cook seems to have been rendered ineffective under McKenna's system which is a shame

Jackson seems reborn under McKenna but isn't the long term answe

Piggot needs a more, we need to recoup our money on him and find a replacement

Where's Norwood, injured again?

I would want 1 or 2 quality strikers with athleticism primarilly and look to keep Norwood and/or Jackson and possbily sign Bonne. I like Bonne, he was great in the first half of the season and hasn't been half as effective in the second half

I do wonder if McKenna's rotation of strikers and the frontline has been part of that problem too

I just hope we have had the scouts out and have been eyeing some quality strikers who would make us into a serious outfit next season, whoever they prove to be

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024