Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating 15:28 - Mar 22 with 9602 viewsitfcjoe

Well worth a listen

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:30 - Mar 22 with 5457 viewshype313

Shame Keiron's still on Dial Up.

Quite the interview, can see him welling up.

Basically, there is no pathway to the first team from the 23's, quite sad really.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2022 15:36]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:38 - Mar 22 with 5322 viewsMetal_Hacker

Yeah good watch - really hope it doesn't leave a bad taste in his mouth

Poll: If it were one or the other

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:38 - Mar 22 with 5307 viewsIllinoisblue

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:30 - Mar 22 by hype313

Basically, there is no pathway to the first team from the 23's, quite sad really.

No pathway for him or the players?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:39 - Mar 22 with 5302 viewsgtsb1966

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:30 - Mar 22 by hype313

I just can't see the logic in that if it's true. If someone is good enough they'll get in surely.
The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:39 - Mar 22 with 5281 viewsVic

Really good interview. Well done statman, and thanks Kieron for thoughtful honesty.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:42 - Mar 22 with 5219 viewshype313

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:38 - Mar 22 by Illinoisblue

Both

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:43 - Mar 22 with 5205 viewspointofblue

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:38 - Mar 22 by Illinoisblue

Both.

Highlighted he feels young players are not being given the chance (specifically states he feels Humphrys is the second best central midfielder at the club after Morsy and queries why Simpson isn’t given a chance when Bonne isn’t our player and Jackson/Norwood are out of contract at the end of the season). He did say this is his opinion and McKenna could be right with his viewpoint.

He also realised he won’t have a chance of managing Ipswich without managerial experience elsewhere when McGreal was brought in and given the temporary post after Cook’s departure.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:43 - Mar 22 with 5216 viewsitfcjoe

Players.

He says that the vision and culture of the club that Ashton et al have doesn't align with his.

Login to get fewer ads

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:43 - Mar 22 with 5196 viewsitfcjoe

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:39 - Mar 22 by gtsb1966

I just can't see the logic in that if it's true. If someone is good enough they'll get in surely.

That's always been a very easy thing to say, but the reality is first team football is part of development

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:45 - Mar 22 with 5115 viewsSitfcB

Interesting shirt in the background 👀

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:47 - Mar 22 with 5092 viewsWallingford_Boy

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:39 - Mar 22 by gtsb1966

Of course they will, no-one really knocking on the door atm and with the squad doing ok and still in with an outside chance of promotion, yougnsters won't be risked.

Once we are out of the race, we will see Humphreys, Simpson, Chirewa, Baggott, etc given some minutes, I am sure.

RIP Sir Bobby

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:50 - Mar 22 with 5014 viewsIllinoisblue

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:43 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

Players.

He says that the vision and culture of the club that Ashton et al have doesn't align with his.

That seems a bit simplistic from KD. Doesn’t have to either/or, surely. I’m sure if a player is good enough they’ll get a chance.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:54 - Mar 22 with 4945 viewsFPL_Tractor

That's always been a very easy thing to say, but the reality is first team football is part of development

In the end picking a young player is always a risk and some managers feel more comfortable with it than others (so is signing a 27 year old by the way). That's why i don't really buy the "if they're good enough" argument as for instance you have to be lucky to get a place somehow (injuries whatever), get a good loan club to prove yourself etc.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:54 - Mar 22 with 4940 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Good interview, think it may split a few opinions though
The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:54 - Mar 22 with 4922 viewsVaughan8

Players.

Which is totally fine. If he doesn't agree , he leaves but he doesn't really explain to much as to why does he? Or did I miss it, I was skipping bits here and there.

The no route for players into the first team seems a bit to general for me. it can't be totally correct. I can't think our club would not play someone who was good enough for the first team. If so, why bother having an u23/u18 team.

If they were good enough, they would play surely?
The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:55 - Mar 22 with 4918 viewsDyland

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:50 - Mar 22 by Illinoisblue

That seems a bit simplistic from KD. Doesn’t have to either/or, surely. I’m sure if a player is good enough they’ll get a chance.

Isn't this the nub of it... Kieron thinks some of them are good enough...

This is pretty gutting imo. Good luck to Kieron though and good on him for being decisive. There's no right or wrong answer here, except he's spot on that he needs to go elsewhere to progress his own career in the short term. Wish him all the best, and kinda really hope he is successful and comes back to manage Town one day....

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:55 - Mar 22 with 4903 viewsOsborneOneNil

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:50 - Mar 22 by Illinoisblue

Absolutely, of course they will.

KD obviously just frustrated he’s not progressed.
The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:55 - Mar 22 with 4900 viewsclive_baker

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:43 - Mar 22 by pointofblue

Both.

Highlighted he feels young players are not being given the chance (specifically states he feels Humphrys is the second best central midfielder at the club after Morsy and queries why Simpson isn’t given a chance when Bonne isn’t our player and Jackson/Norwood are out of contract at the end of the season). He did say this is his opinion and McKenna could be right with his viewpoint.

He also realised he won’t have a chance of managing Ipswich without managerial experience elsewhere when McGreal was brought in and given the temporary post after Cook’s departure.

I respect Dyer enormously, he was a phenomenal player, a proper Ipswich lad and his passion for the club is beautiful. We're talking about a guy who put his hand in his pocket to fund events when Evans was too tight to do so himself. He's a thoroughly good man, and the way players talk about him gives us some insight into that. I wish him all the best in his career outside of Town, it's sometimes healthy to get out and carve a path externally.

I think it's a stretch to say Humprey's is the 2nd best central midifelder at the club though. I'm all in favour of giving the youth a chance, but you have to be good enough and to put a rookie ahead of Evans & Aluko et al is ludicrous. El Mizouni and Clements have both featured in the league this season, but I don't think you'll find many people making a case that they should be starting games right now. If the season is dead on it's ar5e I think that's perhaps an opportunity for KM to bring a few in for some experience, but his remit thus far, and Cook's before is do what we need to do to get us promoted.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:07 - Mar 22 with 4729 viewsitfcjoe

When we had the very first fans forum I asked Ashton about going Cat 1 and he totally dismissed it, at the weekends game I was sat up by the press boxes for a pre season friendly and then all the coaches came and sat near to me.

Dyer turned round to me and said "great question at the forum" and when I said I was surprised at how quickly it was shot down he said he was to as was the other members of the academy in what became our chat and isn't fair for me to name. That was the first they'd heard that.

I don't know Dyer to speak to, he wouldn't know me from Adam - but he recognised me from that question and specifically broiught it up which I was quite taken aback by.

We then went out and signed 19 first team players, and no one from the 23s has had a look in all season - whilst our first team were floundering our U23s are rolling along at more than 2 points per game and scoring more than 2 goals per game.

Without being rude the simplistic view is the one in your final sentence - it hasn't been the case for a long time now. Managers have to actively give players an opportunity when they deserve it - what more could they be doing to earn one?

I imagine that the difference in ethos between Dyer and the powers that be is that they want more of a player trading model than one that focuses on bring ing players through

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:10 - Mar 22 with 4652 viewsKieran_Knows

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:45 - Mar 22 by SitfcB

Interesting shirt in the background 👀

God knows how he's wangled that.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:12 - Mar 22 with 4606 viewsKieran_Knows

I suppose the question is, who's the Bristol City under 18/23 manager?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:14 - Mar 22 with 4545 viewsgtsb1966

I wish Dyer well and hope that one day he comes back here and has success managing us. For nearly twenty years this club has gone down hill before it was finally on its knees so a new strategy was needed. If Dyer doesn't like the new way forward then big respect to him for leaving
He could've stayed and taken the money. Personally I'm all for buying the players to get us out of this league because nothing else has worked.
The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:17 - Mar 22 with 4497 viewsBloomBlue

Although conversely when you look at the Harper signing has/did he give us anything special that one of the U23s couldn't have given us?

I know all signings are a risk but would an U23 midfielder have been any bigger of a risk?
The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:22 - Mar 22 with 4361 viewsVaughan8

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:07 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

When we had the very first fans forum I asked Ashton about going Cat 1 and he totally dismissed it, at the weekends game I was sat up by the press boxes for a pre season friendly and then all the coaches came and sat near to me.

Dyer turned round to me and said "great question at the forum" and when I said I was surprised at how quickly it was shot down he said he was to as was the other members of the academy in what became our chat and isn't fair for me to name. That was the first they'd heard that.

I don't know Dyer to speak to, he wouldn't know me from Adam - but he recognised me from that question and specifically broiught it up which I was quite taken aback by.

We then went out and signed 19 first team players, and no one from the 23s has had a look in all season - whilst our first team were floundering our U23s are rolling along at more than 2 points per game and scoring more than 2 goals per game.

Without being rude the simplistic view is the one in your final sentence - it hasn't been the case for a long time now. Managers have to actively give players an opportunity when they deserve it - what more could they be doing to earn one?

I imagine that the difference in ethos between Dyer and the powers that be is that they want more of a player trading model than one that focuses on bring ing players through

You have a much better knowledge of the club than me.

I'm just interested to know who should have been given a go in the first team who is in the u23s? I appreciate in hindsight, we probably didn't need the likes of Harper who was poor most games for us and we definitely signed too many player sin the summer.

I get that our "U23s are rolling along at more than 2 points per game and scoring more than 2 goals per game." However surely that level is A LOT different to first team football?
The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:24 - Mar 22 with 4329 viewsclive_baker

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:17 - Mar 22 by BloomBlue

Although conversely when you look at the Harper signing has/did he give us anything special that one of the U23s couldn't have given us?

I know all signings are a risk but would an U23 midfielder have been any bigger of a risk?

Harper had played 20 odd games for Birmingham in the Championship the season before, at 20 years old. I think it's too easy to be calling for more U23's in hindsight. I've seen people putting their teams up all season and not once have I seen Humprey's even called for on the bench. When we had the cheque book out in the summer people were lauding signings like Harper.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024