Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich 13:07 - Apr 18 with 2357 viewsIllinoisblue

Buying the EADT and the Ipswich Star. Years of cost cutting has created two almost identical papers. Page after page of identical content.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 13:12 - Apr 18 with 1856 viewsnoggin

Is The Green'un still a thing?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 13:21 - Apr 18 with 1818 viewsmonytowbray

Pretty sure they are both Archant?

The illusion of choice is getting lazy. Wait until Unilever, Nestle, Proctor & Gamble, Kraft and Johnson&Johnson do away with their phantom brands they purchased over the years in the supermarket. Literally about 6 choices of businesses you can buy from in your average supermarket.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 13:23 - Apr 18 with 1803 viewsfooters

You back as well, Illy? Like bloody migration season with you and the Moose over at the same time...

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 13:24 - Apr 18 with 1795 viewsJ2BLUE

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 13:23 - Apr 18 by footers

You back as well, Illy? Like bloody migration season with you and the Moose over at the same time...

Is that the first time Moose has been back since the pandemic?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 13:26 - Apr 18 with 1790 viewsfooters

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 13:24 - Apr 18 by J2BLUE

Is that the first time Moose has been back since the pandemic?

It is! And have a bleedin' guess what... he tested positive on arrival and is isolating - poor beggar! I believe he's in the garden with a nice cup of tea listening to the birds at present.

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 13:27 - Apr 18 with 1777 viewsIllinoisblue

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 13:26 - Apr 18 by footers

It is! And have a bleedin' guess what... he tested positive on arrival and is isolating - poor beggar! I believe he's in the garden with a nice cup of tea listening to the birds at present.

I am also in a garden drinking tea. Not testing positive hopefully or I’ll never get back to Uncle Sam.

62 - 78 - 81

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 13:30 - Apr 18 with 1762 viewsIllinoisblue

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 13:21 - Apr 18 by monytowbray

Pretty sure they are both Archant?

The illusion of choice is getting lazy. Wait until Unilever, Nestle, Proctor & Gamble, Kraft and Johnson&Johnson do away with their phantom brands they purchased over the years in the supermarket. Literally about 6 choices of businesses you can buy from in your average supermarket.

Well yes, been the same publisher in one form or another for over a hundred years. But there used to be a distinct difference. The EADT was more rural and grown-up, the Star more tabloidy. Now literally exact same pages in both.

62 - 78 - 81

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 13:53 - Apr 18 with 1678 viewsThisIsMyUsername

The first mistake of visiting Ipswich is visiting Ipswich.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Login to get fewer ads

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 14:08 - Apr 18 with 1611 viewsMattinLondon

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 13:53 - Apr 18 by ThisIsMyUsername

I’ve lived in a fair few places - including some towns that are meant to be amongst the best places to live in the country - and Ipswich isn’t that bad. Not the greatest but certainly better than average and not deserving of the kicking it gets.

Many that criticise it tend to live in the countryside which is a breeding ground for incest, rubbish drugs and boredom.
First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 14:22 - Apr 18 with 1556 viewsIllinoisblue

Home is home, man. It’s always there.

62 - 78 - 81

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 14:23 - Apr 18 with 1546 viewsJ2BLUE

That is pretty gutting. Hope he gets plenty of time with his family.

Truly impaired.

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 14:25 - Apr 18 with 1548 viewsThisIsMyUsername

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 14:08 - Apr 18 by MattinLondon

I’ve lived in a fair few places - including some towns that are meant to be amongst the best places to live in the country - and Ipswich isn’t that bad. Not the greatest but certainly better than average and not deserving of the kicking it gets.

Many that criticise it tend to live in the countryside which is a breeding ground for incest, rubbish drugs and boredom.

Each to their own.

IMO if Ipswich is 'better than average' then it says a lot about the rest of the UK as a whole.

(Not trying to offend any Ipswich-ers; I went to school there and have spent some time living there, albeit/thankfully briefly, myself).

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 14:26 - Apr 18 with 1536 viewsSwansea_Blue

Poor sod. Send some best wishes his way next time you speak to him.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 14:30 - Apr 18 with 1501 viewsMattinLondon

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 14:25 - Apr 18 by ThisIsMyUsername

Each to their own.

IMO if Ipswich is 'better than average' then it says a lot about the rest of the UK as a whole.

(Not trying to offend any Ipswich-ers; I went to school there and have spent some time living there, albeit/thankfully briefly, myself).

Some places are incredibly overhyped other places are undervalued.
First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 14:36 - Apr 18 with 1480 viewsSwansea_Blue

Each to their own.

it does say alot about many other areas of the UK, unfortunately. I've not lived anywhere as nice as Ipswich (in terms of the nearest main town/city) for over 20 years. The last couple of times I've been back east it was far better than many of the towns in this part of the world, even with it's foibles. Chantry's positively luxurious and pleasantly green compared to the estates in Swansea.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 14:39 - Apr 18 with 1476 viewsfooters

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 14:26 - Apr 18 by Swansea_Blue

Poor sod. Send some best wishes his way next time you speak to him.

I shall send him your love.

And speaking of which, his missus is covid clear and free as a bird. So if anyone in the Ipswich area fancies showing her the local sights, then I'm sure she'd be very happy with that...

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 15:01 - Apr 18 with 1410 viewsCheltenham_Blue

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 13:30 - Apr 18 by Illinoisblue

Well yes, been the same publisher in one form or another for over a hundred years. But there used to be a distinct difference. The EADT was more rural and grown-up, the Star more tabloidy. Now literally exact same pages in both.

The 'years and years of cost cutting' come down to two things.

1. People getting their news from t'internet. (Hence why I get a bit testy when some on here help to circumnavigate pay walls)
2. The drop off in advertising revenue which has now gone to Social Media 'platforms'

If people want better newspapers, then both of the above will need to be reversed.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 15:04 - Apr 18 with 1400 viewsPippin1970

Miss those days. Visiting my gran in Clacton on Sea and picking up East Anglian Daily Times from newsagents next to arcades.
First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 15:13 - Apr 18 with 1375 viewsMattinLondon

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 14:39 - Apr 18 by footers

I shall send him your love.

And speaking of which, his missus is covid clear and free as a bird. So if anyone in the Ipswich area fancies showing her the local sights, then I'm sure she'd be very happy with that...

Is she attractive?
First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 15:16 - Apr 18 with 1366 viewsstonojnr

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 15:01 - Apr 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

The 'years and years of cost cutting' come down to two things.

1. People getting their news from t'internet. (Hence why I get a bit testy when some on here help to circumnavigate pay walls)
2. The drop off in advertising revenue which has now gone to Social Media 'platforms'

If people want better newspapers, then both of the above will need to be reversed.

It wouldn't hurt for them to actually write more articles than just copy / paste some pr release or estate agent details, people are prepared to pay to read quality written stuff, not just words because they always have

They aren't as bad as some local papers have got, but you don't buy them thesedays for news coverage.

Lots of it is also clearly written by the Norwich based staff as their local knowledge of Ipswich and its surroundings is rubbish...which also means they don't subedit anymore either
First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 15:30 - Apr 18 with 1320 viewsCheltenham_Blue

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 15:16 - Apr 18 by stonojnr

It wouldn't hurt for them to actually write more articles than just copy / paste some pr release or estate agent details, people are prepared to pay to read quality written stuff, not just words because they always have

They aren't as bad as some local papers have got, but you don't buy them thesedays for news coverage.

Lots of it is also clearly written by the Norwich based staff as their local knowledge of Ipswich and its surroundings is rubbish...which also means they don't subedit anymore either

"It wouldn't hurt for them to actually write more articles than just copy / paste some pr release or estate agent details, people are prepared to pay to read quality written stuff, not just words because they always have "

People aren't prepared to pay to read quality written stuff. I'm afraid that a huge majority of people assume that if it's available on the internet, it should be free to access/use/download. You only need to see on this very forum, the number of people giving detailed instructions on how to avoid a paywall and avoid paying for 'quality written stuff'

Newspapers, in particular, local papers are involved in a race to the bottom right now. Once was the time that serious quality journalists cut their teeth at local papers like The EADT, Shropshire Star, Gloucestershire Echo and many others who as independent newspapers were consistently looking for quality content and investigative reporting to sell copy.

Now, most local newspapers are owned by Archant or Reach (Trinity Mirror) and as you say, most stories are cut and paste jobs from other newspapers within the group (Hence the Norwich bias), but the bottom line has also gone, so there's no investigative journalism happening, in fact, there is barely journalism, its been replaced by scouring social media for stories and this has happened directly as a result of the influence of the internet.

It's all in a very sorry state. Before you ask, I was in the industry and worked for newspapers like The Times, Sunday Times, Guardian and Independent, (and a few more that are unsavoury now), as a photographer for 15 years. The only way to improve them is to buy them, but I rather fear the horse has already bolted.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 17:00 - Apr 18 with 1202 viewsGeoffSentence

Each to their own.

Where do you live now?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 17:02 - Apr 18 with 1196 viewsJ2BLUE

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 15:30 - Apr 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

"It wouldn't hurt for them to actually write more articles than just copy / paste some pr release or estate agent details, people are prepared to pay to read quality written stuff, not just words because they always have "

People aren't prepared to pay to read quality written stuff. I'm afraid that a huge majority of people assume that if it's available on the internet, it should be free to access/use/download. You only need to see on this very forum, the number of people giving detailed instructions on how to avoid a paywall and avoid paying for 'quality written stuff'

Newspapers, in particular, local papers are involved in a race to the bottom right now. Once was the time that serious quality journalists cut their teeth at local papers like The EADT, Shropshire Star, Gloucestershire Echo and many others who as independent newspapers were consistently looking for quality content and investigative reporting to sell copy.

Now, most local newspapers are owned by Archant or Reach (Trinity Mirror) and as you say, most stories are cut and paste jobs from other newspapers within the group (Hence the Norwich bias), but the bottom line has also gone, so there's no investigative journalism happening, in fact, there is barely journalism, its been replaced by scouring social media for stories and this has happened directly as a result of the influence of the internet.

It's all in a very sorry state. Before you ask, I was in the industry and worked for newspapers like The Times, Sunday Times, Guardian and Independent, (and a few more that are unsavoury now), as a photographer for 15 years. The only way to improve them is to buy them, but I rather fear the horse has already bolted.

Yea can't have it both ways. Either support them or don't criticise them.

Truly impaired.

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 18:02 - Apr 18 with 1051 viewsjudespiveyg

Mate Ipswich is alright. I'm at uni in Sheffield and while that obviously knocks Ipswich out of the park, compared to some of the other South Yorkshire towns I've visited, like Rotherham and Doncaster, Ipswich is a pretty decent town in a lot of aspects. Worst critics of Ipswich are people from Suffolk, for whom the only other nearby comparably sized places are Norwich and Cambridge, which are some seriously above average places.

Don't get me wrong Ipswich is a terrible night out, but in lots of ways its still a decent enough place.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 18:11 - Apr 18 with 1033 viewsThisIsMyUsername

First rookie mistake of visiting Ipswich on 17:00 - Apr 18 by GeoffSentence

Where do you live now?

Currently in a smaller settlement located a 15-20 minute drive from Ipswich.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024