Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gaming consoles..... 10:22 - Apr 21 with 4143 viewsitfcjoe

....I'm thinking of investing in one and need some advice as not really a regular gamer.

Have recently converted my garage so setting it up and have opportunity to grab any console.

I was thinking PS5 as have always had Playstations when I did play, other option is a Switch as my kids would prefer that (aged 5 and 3).

Is a Switch good enough for an adult to game on? I'd probably only play sports sims mainly, or is a PS5 suitable and accessible for young kids?

Cheers

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Gaming consoles..... on 16:45 - Apr 21 with 1330 viewsgiant_stow

Gaming consoles..... on 16:07 - Apr 21 by eireblue

Don’t take any advice from giant-ullaa.

Oi!

Although my Fortnite career is indeed on temporary stop. A sad loss to the community, I'm sure - they'll have to find easy kills elsewhere now.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2022 16:45]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Gaming consoles..... on 17:27 - Apr 21 with 1302 viewshillbillies

Gaming consoles..... on 12:42 - Apr 21 by Skip_Intro

Liking the retro idea for the PS2 - still have mine in the loft...what kind of games have you got on there - PS1 etc or proper retro? Was it difficult to do?
Cheers

It’s super easy to do, if you've got a Fat PS2. You can get an adapter that fits into the back of the console that enables you to put a hard drive in that you can load up games. Then all you need is a special memory card with the software called Free McBoot and you’re away. You can play PS1 & PS2 games off the hard drive and they run really well.
Gaming consoles..... on 17:58 - Apr 21 with 1284 viewsSkip_Intro

Gaming consoles..... on 17:27 - Apr 21 by hillbillies

It’s super easy to do, if you've got a Fat PS2. You can get an adapter that fits into the back of the console that enables you to put a hard drive in that you can load up games. Then all you need is a special memory card with the software called Free McBoot and you’re away. You can play PS1 & PS2 games off the hard drive and they run really well.

that's really helpful thank you! will take a look
Gaming consoles..... on 21:28 - Apr 21 with 1225 viewsJimmy86

Having been a PlayStation man for an age I bought an xbox one a few years back and I've loved it. I'm at the point where I'm going to upgrade and it's a straight shoot out between a PS5 and XBOX series X...

Series X might just shade it, as I have the game pass and there are titles, such as forza horizon/motorsports that you can't get on PS... think wreckfest is on both platforms, as love banger racing...
Gaming consoles..... on 22:12 - Apr 21 with 1206 viewsKievthegreat

Gaming consoles..... on 15:25 - Apr 21 by CrayonKing

Hate to be an Xbox voice in a sea of PS5 love but Xbox Game Pass is the best deal in gaming at the moment, especially if you use the "glitch" to stack 2 years worth at roughly £5/month. Very rarely buy games now as most things I want to play are on there, plus "free" PC games as a bonus too.

You can actually stack 3 years worth of gamepass on the cheap with the £1 xbox live gold upgrade. 3 years worth for about £100. Very good deal.

I do find it really good though, I find it especially lets me play games I'd never have bought and then have ended up loving. Plus it is great with friends because you have loads of new games you can always try, safe in the knowledge that everyone in the party has them.

Also for the last 2 years you get the new Football manager on release. If you buy FM on release every year, you will probably save money on the 3 years offer highlighted above*. Plus you get every Microsoft exclusive on release, and loads of others games to add value.

*you won't own the games, but unless you go back to old FM games, you're not really losing anything.
Gaming consoles..... on 23:25 - Apr 21 with 1172 viewsDinDjarin

Gaming PC. No contest.

Consoles are for amateurs.
Gaming consoles..... on 23:30 - Apr 21 with 1166 viewsBbmaj

PS5 - I was blown away by new controllers and load times, and if you are into driving sims then Gran Turismo 7 is just incredible. But they are still hard to get hold of with global chip shortages, and you will need to expand storage. And you may get tempted into buying an 8k TV.

If you can handle bit of tech faff, building your own retro arcade machine is a fun project. I found a mini SNES case for a Piecade that sits nicely next to a lego Nintendo.

Capcom Home Arcade is great in some ways (proper arcade sticks) but game list a bit limited. There are mods to play all sorts via emulator and latest official firmware update allows it to be used as a controller for Windows PC - full Steam ahead! Next project may be a proper gaming PC, I’ve been on consoles for ever but if I want to turn pro (is there a veterans esports league?) I need a PC, but also comfortable being Old n Rubbish.

There are too many options, but either XBox or PS would be fine for next gen gaming if you can splash the cash. Nowt wrong with a Nintendo as a backup option, either.

Nerd alert.
Gaming consoles..... on 10:39 - Apr 22 with 1092 viewsSonOfSpock

Surely all you need is a retro Super Nintendo original, or, the ones where you get lots of games pre-loaded?
Login to get fewer ads

Gaming consoles..... on 11:56 - Apr 22 with 1069 viewsdavblue

Gaming consoles..... on 15:53 - Apr 21 by itfcjoe

I didn't realise they went that young with the games - very interesting as sure they'd like them and Miles Morales game looks a bit dark!

Miles Morales is pretty light game if all they want to do is swing about might be a little complicated at points for your boys though.

The Lego superhero games are pretty cheap about a tenner as they've been out a while and pretty easy also.
Gaming consoles..... on 12:20 - Apr 22 with 1056 viewsDanTheMan

Gaming consoles..... on 11:56 - Apr 22 by davblue

Miles Morales is pretty light game if all they want to do is swing about might be a little complicated at points for your boys though.

The Lego superhero games are pretty cheap about a tenner as they've been out a while and pretty easy also.

LEGO games are great for this. Co-op too so you can make it something that you can play with your child.

The new Star Wars LEGO game is supposed to be really good.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Gaming consoles..... on 12:33 - Apr 22 with 1040 viewsdavblue

Gaming consoles..... on 12:20 - Apr 22 by DanTheMan

LEGO games are great for this. Co-op too so you can make it something that you can play with your child.

The new Star Wars LEGO game is supposed to be really good.

yeah, i haven't been able to get my hands on the latest Lego game but they are fun very child friendly games.
Gaming consoles..... on 12:51 - Apr 22 with 1024 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Not a huge gamer I'm still on an xbox one that I got with a phone contract and haven't played anything but the games that came free on it.

My mate has switch and loves it, as do the kids bur it doeneds on the type of game play you want from it.

As an alt option have you thought about an Occulus.

The kids will love that (just make sure everyone is out before you check out some of the more adult things you can do with it)

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Gaming consoles..... on 13:04 - Apr 22 with 1013 viewsblueasfook

I got a Xbox One Series X as I wanted to upgrade to 4k. With hindsight, I wish I'd have gone for a PS5 instead. Purely for Gran Turismo 7!

Also a lot of the features of the previous Xbox that I liked were taken away on the new gen console - such as digital optical out port and TV passthrough.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 13:23]

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Gaming consoles..... on 13:10 - Apr 22 with 994 viewsDanTheMan

Gaming consoles..... on 13:04 - Apr 22 by blueasfook

I got a Xbox One Series X as I wanted to upgrade to 4k. With hindsight, I wish I'd have gone for a PS5 instead. Purely for Gran Turismo 7!

Also a lot of the features of the previous Xbox that I liked were taken away on the new gen console - such as digital optical out port and TV passthrough.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 13:23]

From what I hear GT7 has turned into a proper micro-transaction fest.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Gaming consoles..... on 13:12 - Apr 22 with 986 viewsNthQldITFC

Gaming consoles..... on 16:07 - Apr 21 by eireblue

Don’t take any advice from giant-ullaa.

What? Not even on dealing with RRS? He the man.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Gaming consoles..... on 13:13 - Apr 22 with 992 viewsblueasfook

Gaming consoles..... on 13:10 - Apr 22 by DanTheMan

From what I hear GT7 has turned into a proper micro-transaction fest.

Really? That's a shame. Graphically it looks amazing.

No game that you're paying £70 or more for should have micro transactions.

TWTD Veteran

Gaming consoles..... on 13:18 - Apr 22 with 981 viewsblueasfook

Gaming consoles..... on 10:39 - Apr 22 by SonOfSpock

Surely all you need is a retro Super Nintendo original, or, the ones where you get lots of games pre-loaded?

Super Mario World on SNES is my all time favourite game. The most fun game I have ever played.

TWTD Veteran

Gaming consoles..... on 21:09 - Apr 22 with 896 viewsSonOfSpock

Gaming consoles..... on 13:18 - Apr 22 by blueasfook

Super Mario World on SNES is my all time favourite game. The most fun game I have ever played.

Was always partial to MarioKart or Super Metroid. Street fighter II another honorable mention.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024