Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gaming consoles..... 10:22 - Apr 21 with 4175 viewsitfcjoe

....I'm thinking of investing in one and need some advice as not really a regular gamer.

Have recently converted my garage so setting it up and have opportunity to grab any console.

I was thinking PS5 as have always had Playstations when I did play, other option is a Switch as my kids would prefer that (aged 5 and 3).

Is a Switch good enough for an adult to game on? I'd probably only play sports sims mainly, or is a PS5 suitable and accessible for young kids?

Cheers

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Gaming consoles..... on 10:24 - Apr 21 with 2815 viewschicoazul

Video games are for children and Americans.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Gaming consoles..... on 10:32 - Apr 21 with 2778 viewsStrimmer

Not a huge gamer myself but I’ve got a switch and just play Zelda on it. Have been doing so for several years now and I love it with all my heart. But, no switch is for Nintendo exclusives, not really suited to sports sims. Doesn’t have the power or online stuff. PS5, if you can get one. Latest Xbox might be fine too but there my knowledge runs out

Poll: Was it a punch?

Gaming consoles..... on 10:33 - Apr 21 with 2781 viewsJakeITFC

I have PS5 and a switch and I don’t really play either, but the PS5 would be more suitable for your needs I would suggest (and also has sky go, nfl gamepass, Netflix etc apps on it which might be useful).
Gaming consoles..... on 10:35 - Apr 21 with 2766 viewsSWGF

PS5

No question

Can get Minecraft, Fortnite, various platform games on it

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Gaming consoles..... on 10:39 - Apr 21 with 2747 viewsIllinoisblue

Gaming consoles..... on 10:33 - Apr 21 by JakeITFC

I have PS5 and a switch and I don’t really play either, but the PS5 would be more suitable for your needs I would suggest (and also has sky go, nfl gamepass, Netflix etc apps on it which might be useful).

What I don’t understand about the PS5 is why it’s so damn big at a time when tech is generally shrinking.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Gaming consoles..... on 10:53 - Apr 21 with 2705 viewsDanJam90

I was always a loyal PlayStation man having grow up initially with Sega and then PS1, 2 3 etc i have a PS4 pro and its decent, looks great on the TV and it has some brilliant games however as I've got older I've found myself becoming a bit bored of the complex/100 hour single player games, regular console updates, its just a bit of a faff at times and therefore I'm not sure I'll ever get a PS5.

I therefore bought a Switch in lockdown and tbh my PS4 rarely gets a look in now. The fact its portable, quick, you can play it for 20mins and the next day pick up where you left off...its very impressive.

Zelda is a must have, its one of my top 5 games of all time. If you like platformers its got loads, it has remakes, good Nintendo games, if you get it online (for a price) you can download a lot of classic snes/megadrive games for free and plenty for the kids to enjoy. I'd highly recommend it.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2022 10:54]
Gaming consoles..... on 11:05 - Apr 21 with 2670 viewsdavblue

we have a switch and a PS5.

My boy is 6 and he likes the switch it's great for Mario Kart as a family and more simpler games also.

My Boy is starting to get into the PS5 for Fifa, Spiderman and you can get Lego games on that also.
The switch is fun, but i wouldn't deem it as an adult console.
Gaming consoles..... on 11:08 - Apr 21 with 2643 viewsitfcjoe

Gaming consoles..... on 11:05 - Apr 21 by davblue

we have a switch and a PS5.

My boy is 6 and he likes the switch it's great for Mario Kart as a family and more simpler games also.

My Boy is starting to get into the PS5 for Fifa, Spiderman and you can get Lego games on that also.
The switch is fun, but i wouldn't deem it as an adult console.

Very helpful thanks - have looked more into a Switch and couldn't see me sitting there playing it with mates so they'll just have to learn how to play a PS5 - and maybe get a Switch for Xmas

Login to get fewer ads

Gaming consoles..... on 11:13 - Apr 21 with 2616 viewsdavblue

Gaming consoles..... on 11:08 - Apr 21 by itfcjoe

Very helpful thanks - have looked more into a Switch and couldn't see me sitting there playing it with mates so they'll just have to learn how to play a PS5 - and maybe get a Switch for Xmas

the PS5 isn't a massive departure from earlier versions in terms of how it's set up, it's very easy to follow with tutorials etc, you will be fine!

The switch is fun and for the £30 odd quid a year you can also get the classic sega and Nintendo games, Sonic, Mario etc.
Gaming consoles..... on 11:44 - Apr 21 with 2555 viewsSwansea_Blue

Gaming consoles..... on 10:39 - Apr 21 by Illinoisblue

What I don’t understand about the PS5 is why it’s so damn big at a time when tech is generally shrinking.

It’s got a humungous cooling fan to keep it, er, cool. Possibly more importantly it keeps it quiet - mine is near silent, but my PS4 sounded like it was preparing to take off.

They are a big lump though, no denying it.

As for the OP, I’d recommend PS5 over a Switch (as others have said, fun with the family but a bit more of a novelty). A PS5 gives you more options for top end games.

I highly recommend Destiny 2 if you’ve any interest in MMOFPS/RPG (massively multiplayer online first person shooter / role playing games!). Or in other words there are lots of things to explore, shoot and collect, also with a large community and loads of different types of game experience.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Gaming consoles..... on 12:17 - Apr 21 with 2476 viewsblueysbackside

Hey, Joe. I would avoid the PS5 at all costs. Expensive unit. Expensive games. Not worth your bucks. I am guessing you are in your Forties? So did you grow up playing Spectrums, Commodore 64s, Ataris and such like? Perhaps the PS1 or Super Nintendo. Anyway…..you could think about getting an emulation device such as a Pandoras Box or an Anbernic handheld device. Go to aliexpress and/or youtube to see examples. In a nutshell, you could pay, say, £100 for something which has 8,000 games already pre-built (from EVERY console you can think of up to Nintendo 64/Dreamcast) into the unit and it’s just plug and play into your TV - or you could have a similar thing in the palm of your hand for a similar cost. If you want more info, DM me. Of course, go for the PS5 if that’s yer thing but in my humble opinion it ain’t worth the price you’re paying.
Gaming consoles..... on 12:27 - Apr 21 with 2463 viewsKievthegreat

Based on what you've put I'd get a PS5. I've personally got a Switch and a Series X. I find like others that the Nintendo is great for social games if people pop round, great for kids (although we don't have any ourselves) and for Nintendo exclusives (the wife loves pokemon).

If you want to play Fifa, NFL, etc... I'd say 100% get either an xbox or PS5. When picking between the 2, the main consideration would be what eco-system you play in now. Me and my friends all play xbox and PC, so a PS5 makes no sense for me, plus I don't really care for any of the PS5 exclusives particularly.
Gaming consoles..... on 12:33 - Apr 21 with 2449 viewsSkip_Intro

I've got a PS5 and love it - have always had playsations.
I think it depends what type of games you enjoy - I'm pretty sure that there is a much wider range for the PS vs the Switch. Also if you ever decide to play online vs friends the PS5 is the best choice imo. Also good for other apps as others have already said.
If you're converting your garage and it's nice and dark I'd suggest going the whole hog and getting a projector for movie nights too if you can accomodate it - a good 1080p projector is comparable in price to a mid range 55 inch TV these days...
Gaming consoles..... on 12:39 - Apr 21 with 2432 viewshillbillies

My main console is a Switch, but then I’m not massively into ‘proper’ gaming. The only reason I’d get a PS5 is for FIFA & WWE. But in your case I’d probably recommend a PS5 if you can get your hands on one!

I definitely recommend the Switch to play with the kids as well however. Mario Kart is brilliant, as is Super Mario Odyssey. Nintendo just do a lot of fun games, which is what gaming should be about.

I do however love my retro gaming. Recently I restored my PlayStation 2 and have modded that up with games.
Gaming consoles..... on 12:42 - Apr 21 with 2422 viewsSkip_Intro

Gaming consoles..... on 12:39 - Apr 21 by hillbillies

My main console is a Switch, but then I’m not massively into ‘proper’ gaming. The only reason I’d get a PS5 is for FIFA & WWE. But in your case I’d probably recommend a PS5 if you can get your hands on one!

I definitely recommend the Switch to play with the kids as well however. Mario Kart is brilliant, as is Super Mario Odyssey. Nintendo just do a lot of fun games, which is what gaming should be about.

I do however love my retro gaming. Recently I restored my PlayStation 2 and have modded that up with games.

Liking the retro idea for the PS2 - still have mine in the loft...what kind of games have you got on there - PS1 etc or proper retro? Was it difficult to do?
Cheers
Gaming consoles..... on 13:14 - Apr 21 with 2327 viewsIllinoisblue

Gaming consoles..... on 11:44 - Apr 21 by Swansea_Blue

It’s got a humungous cooling fan to keep it, er, cool. Possibly more importantly it keeps it quiet - mine is near silent, but my PS4 sounded like it was preparing to take off.

They are a big lump though, no denying it.

As for the OP, I’d recommend PS5 over a Switch (as others have said, fun with the family but a bit more of a novelty). A PS5 gives you more options for top end games.

I highly recommend Destiny 2 if you’ve any interest in MMOFPS/RPG (massively multiplayer online first person shooter / role playing games!). Or in other words there are lots of things to explore, shoot and collect, also with a large community and loads of different types of game experience.

Judging by my kids usage of Switch vs PS5 id say the PS5 is used 100x more than the switch. Couple of Zelda games were played on switch for a bit but when that was completed it’s been PlayStation all the way

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Gaming consoles..... on 13:19 - Apr 21 with 2305 viewsBlueBadger

Gaming consoles..... on 10:24 - Apr 21 by chicoazul

Video games are for children and Americans.

Low level edgelording is for children and americans.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Gaming consoles..... on 13:23 - Apr 21 with 2296 viewsMattinLondon

Gaming consoles..... on 13:19 - Apr 21 by BlueBadger

Low level edgelording is for children and americans.

Take away the words ‘children and Americans’ and replace with ‘dicks’ and I make you right.
Gaming consoles..... on 15:25 - Apr 21 with 2172 viewsCrayonKing

Hate to be an Xbox voice in a sea of PS5 love but Xbox Game Pass is the best deal in gaming at the moment, especially if you use the "glitch" to stack 2 years worth at roughly £5/month. Very rarely buy games now as most things I want to play are on there, plus "free" PC games as a bonus too.
Gaming consoles..... on 15:49 - Apr 21 with 2134 viewsElderGrizzly

PS5 vote here.

Got one a few months ago and Grizz Jr (who is 4 1/2) plays on it. The delights of Paw Patrol and Peppa Pig games!
Gaming consoles..... on 15:53 - Apr 21 with 2115 viewsitfcjoe

Gaming consoles..... on 15:49 - Apr 21 by ElderGrizzly

PS5 vote here.

Got one a few months ago and Grizz Jr (who is 4 1/2) plays on it. The delights of Paw Patrol and Peppa Pig games!

I didn't realise they went that young with the games - very interesting as sure they'd like them and Miles Morales game looks a bit dark!

Gaming consoles..... on 15:55 - Apr 21 with 2105 viewsElderGrizzly

Gaming consoles..... on 15:53 - Apr 21 by itfcjoe

I didn't realise they went that young with the games - very interesting as sure they'd like them and Miles Morales game looks a bit dark!

They are on the PS Store online. Only about £7.99 too.

There are only so many times you can hear "Daddy, i'm making Peppa jump in muddy puddles" of course
Gaming consoles..... on 15:57 - Apr 21 with 2101 viewsnodge_blue

Yes - get a PS5 and join me for Apex Legends - super fun!

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Gaming consoles..... on 16:07 - Apr 21 with 2087 viewseireblue

Don’t take any advice from giant-ullaa.
Gaming consoles..... on 16:20 - Apr 21 with 2064 viewsMisterBlue

Gaming consoles..... on 12:17 - Apr 21 by blueysbackside

Hey, Joe. I would avoid the PS5 at all costs. Expensive unit. Expensive games. Not worth your bucks. I am guessing you are in your Forties? So did you grow up playing Spectrums, Commodore 64s, Ataris and such like? Perhaps the PS1 or Super Nintendo. Anyway…..you could think about getting an emulation device such as a Pandoras Box or an Anbernic handheld device. Go to aliexpress and/or youtube to see examples. In a nutshell, you could pay, say, £100 for something which has 8,000 games already pre-built (from EVERY console you can think of up to Nintendo 64/Dreamcast) into the unit and it’s just plug and play into your TV - or you could have a similar thing in the palm of your hand for a similar cost. If you want more info, DM me. Of course, go for the PS5 if that’s yer thing but in my humble opinion it ain’t worth the price you’re paying.

There is also the recent Evercade, which is great for retro gaming. 100% legal aswell.

https://evercade.co.uk/
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024