Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dog dilemma 11:36 - May 9 with 4562 viewsGlasgowBlue

About a year ago one of my 19 year old daughters boyfriend couldn’t afford to maintain his flat. So we let him stay with us until he was on his feet.

In February the pair of them told us that they wanted a dog. The boyfriend had grown up around dogs all his life and would 100% look after it, walk it and feed it.

I was reluctant but it was on the promise that he was saving for a new flat and it would only be fir another six months. Mrs GB and I were reluctant,, but my youngest daughter hadn’t had the best couple of years and although we’ve never had a dog, she is dog daft so we thought that a dog in house would be positive for her. So they bought a Sprocker Spaniel.

Anyhoo. Having a dog was like having a baby. My 19 year old started to feel like an old married woman and wanted to be out partying, not living with her boyfriend in a couple of our rooms and having the responsibility of looking after a dog. The boyfriend got a new job which meant he couldn’t look after the dog and they ended up splitting up. With the boyfriend moving back in with his mother. This was a month ago.

Now, the dog had been with us for a couple of months, my youngest daughter had formed a bond and he’d become part of the family. So we made an arrangement that we’d dog share and have him for three or four nights. But those three of four nights turned into a week and now the ex boyfriend has said his mother has too much on to have another dog in the house so he doesn’t want him back.

We have 4 kids, two at uni, another at 19 and my youngest most likely going to uni in a couple of years.

We are both in our mid and late fifties. We had planned for a quieter life. Spend more quality time on our own. See a bit more of the world. Now we have a responsibility to look this dog for the next 20 years. It may outlive me.

We have to think about who can look after him when we go on holiday. We have to make arrangements for care when we are at work. We didn’t plan for this or ask for this.

The easiest thing to to would be fine him a home with people that will care for him. But we’ve now had him in the house for three months and he is very much part of the family. We just couldn’t give him away. It would be heartbreaking.

What to do?
[Post edited 9 May 2022 11:39]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Dog dilemma on 16:22 - May 9 with 940 viewstextbackup

Dog dilemma on 16:17 - May 9 by Meadowlark

I wouldn't worry about it. It seems that it's compulsory these days to own a dog and not look after it properly. Whether it's locking it in the house all day, having it run around the garden barking all hours of the day and night, jumping up at non dog owners (yes, there are still a few) when out walking or worrying livestock in the countryside and crapping everywhere.
I know there might be some dog owners who are responsible, but I think the majority couldn't care less about the welfare of their canine pet.
Controversial?
They should bring back the dog licence and make it £100.00 per dog per year.
I know this doesn't solve your dilemma, but it allowed me to rant about dog owners for a minute or two.

It’s like everything. Some dog owners are sht, some are brilliant.

I lost my GSD of 13 years before Xmas, and now have a 4month old GR… both got/get treated like a child in the house. And in return they love you for it.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Dog dilemma on 16:23 - May 9 with 940 viewsJ2BLUE

I wouldn't worry about it. It seems that it's compulsory these days to own a dog and not look after it properly. Whether it's locking it in the house all day, having it run around the garden barking all hours of the day and night, jumping up at non dog owners (yes, there are still a few) when out walking or worrying livestock in the countryside and crapping everywhere.
I know there might be some dog owners who are responsible, but I think the majority couldn't care less about the welfare of their canine pet.
Controversial?
I know this doesn't solve your dilemma, but it allowed me to rant about dog owners for a minute or two.

Not sure it's dog owners you should be criticising. Sounds like you know a lot of idiots.

I know a lot of dog owners. None like that. Can't remember the last time a random dog jumped up at me either.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Dog dilemma on 16:25 - May 9 with 936 viewstextbackup

Dog dilemma on 16:23 - May 9 by J2BLUE

Not sure it's dog owners you should be criticising. Sounds like you know a lot of idiots.

I know a lot of dog owners. None like that. Can't remember the last time a random dog jumped up at me either.

Some just don’t read the room when walking dogs, I trusted my old dog 99.999999999% but if we were near children, he went on the lead.

It’s basic common sense. I do agree that you should need a licence, pass a test etc

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Dog dilemma on 16:28 - May 9 with 933 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Controversial?

‘I know there might be some dog owners who are responsible, but I think the majority couldn't care less about the welfare of their canine pet.’

Well that’s just not true is it. A majority? Absolutely not a majority. A small minority.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Dog dilemma on 18:04 - May 9 with 885 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Dog dilemma on 13:34 - May 9 by StochesStotasBlewe

Nearly 11 years ago, Mrs SSB and her 3 teenage kids wanted a puppy. I was against the idea knowing full well that I would end up looking after it.
After the puppy was collected, they all cooed over the little doe eyed ball of fluff until it was ready to be able to be walked in all weathers, groomed, taken to the vet and all the general love and affection she needs and gives back in bucket fulls. She’s been my (almost) constant companion ever since. Luckily, I can take her to work with me so that’s been a massive help.
It needs a different outlook on how you do the other day to day things in your life, but I’m so glad to have her in my life and have met so many great people on our ventures out.
I guess what I’m saying GlasgowBlue is there are many challenges in looking after a dog, but the rewards and benefits far outweigh them.
Good luck.

What kind of mutt?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Dog dilemma on 18:10 - May 9 with 877 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Dog dilemma on 18:04 - May 9 by BanksterDebtSlave

What kind of mutt?

Golden Retriever.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Dog dilemma on 18:18 - May 9 with 874 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Dog dilemma on 18:10 - May 9 by StochesStotasBlewe

Golden Retriever.

Makes sense...our Patterdale would have vanished in an instant when he was younger but at 16 there are 1 or 2 jobs where we trust him not to disappear.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Dog dilemma on 18:27 - May 9 with 863 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Dog dilemma on 18:18 - May 9 by BanksterDebtSlave

Makes sense...our Patterdale would have vanished in an instant when he was younger but at 16 there are 1 or 2 jobs where we trust him not to disappear.

Been lucky really as i've taken her with me pretty much every day since she was a pup.
Docile old girl now.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Login to get fewer ads

Dog dilemma on 18:58 - May 9 with 850 viewsSitfcB

Hopefully the dog won’t try and jump out of the window…

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Dog dilemma on 12:44 - May 29 with 694 viewsGlasgowBlue

For everyone who said we wouldn’t regret keeping him. You were spot on. He’s an absolute joy.

He’s great company and gives kisses and cuddles unconditionally. Unlike the wife. Although I do draw the line at him trying to lick my balls.

Life definitely revolves around him. Everything we plan now has to have to dog in mind. So we are taking a camper van and driving the NC500 next week. Loads of fresh air and walkies.

Iron Lion Zion

Dog dilemma on 12:48 - May 29 with 690 viewsJ2BLUE

Dog dilemma on 12:44 - May 29 by GlasgowBlue

For everyone who said we wouldn’t regret keeping him. You were spot on. He’s an absolute joy.

He’s great company and gives kisses and cuddles unconditionally. Unlike the wife. Although I do draw the line at him trying to lick my balls.

Life definitely revolves around him. Everything we plan now has to have to dog in mind. So we are taking a camper van and driving the NC500 next week. Loads of fresh air and walkies.

Good to hear!

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Dog dilemma on 14:45 - May 29 with 631 viewsclive_baker

One of? How many 19 year old boyfriends does your daughter have?!

On a serious note it’s a tough dilemma, dogs are a massive commitment and people shouldn’t go into it lightly or without due consideration. I would say if you find the idea of owning a dog too restrictive or not practical then perhaps looking to rehome it might be the best option. It’s better done sooner than later and I’m sure if done through the correct channels (which it must), the dog can have a happy and fulfilled life in a loving home. It won’t be an easy decision, I get that, but certainly don’t beat yourself up about it. You have to do what’s right for you and your (human) family. I say that as a dog owner and someone who completely sees my dog as one of the family.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Dog dilemma on 15:01 - May 29 with 620 viewsclive_baker

Just caught up on the thread.

That’s great to hear Glassers

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Dog dilemma on 15:56 - May 29 with 594 viewsGlasgowBlue

Dog dilemma on 14:45 - May 29 by clive_baker

One of? How many 19 year old boyfriends does your daughter have?!

On a serious note it’s a tough dilemma, dogs are a massive commitment and people shouldn’t go into it lightly or without due consideration. I would say if you find the idea of owning a dog too restrictive or not practical then perhaps looking to rehome it might be the best option. It’s better done sooner than later and I’m sure if done through the correct channels (which it must), the dog can have a happy and fulfilled life in a loving home. It won’t be an easy decision, I get that, but certainly don’t beat yourself up about it. You have to do what’s right for you and your (human) family. I say that as a dog owner and someone who completely sees my dog as one of the family.

Ha. I have 19 year old twin daughters.

So it was one of my 19year old daughters boyfriend rather than one of my 19 year old daughter’s boyfriend. I think.
[Post edited 29 May 2022 15:58]

Iron Lion Zion

Dog dilemma on 06:13 - May 30 with 503 viewsBigCommon

Only real downside, is the "seeing a bit more of The World", that you mentioned.... I have a small Jack Russel. He's great.. But I can't just shoot off on a cheap holiday if I see one advertised. Let alone, travel for a few weeks... Not so bad , if its just for a few days, as I can get a family member to take care of him, or book something in UK that's dog friendly..... But, taking on the responsibility of a dog, will restrict your choices, in terms of getting away..... I love dogs, but if you are in any doubt, I'd suggest that you nip it in the bud, sooner, rather than later... It's much farer on the dog, and it'll be easier for you. Rather than waiting and bonding more with it... Tough choice. Best of luck..
Dog dilemma on 07:45 - May 30 with 462 viewsElephantintheRoom

Giving a veterinary perspective to your dilemma you’ve taken on a mongrel which might give you the worst aspects of both breeds, neither of which are very suitable as pets. A spaniel will smell as it gets older, be very prone to ear problems, pre-disposed to grass seeds between its toes, joint problems - and require a lot of exercise - and training. It’s not a dog that should be left for long periods - and unless very well trained prone to running after things on walks.

You needn’t worry about 20 years - it’ll be an old dog in ten - and be an OAP heading for doggie heaven by 14 tops.

If you’re going to leave it for long periods, your best option, strangely enough is to get a second dog to give it the company it craves. Two dogs are scarcely any more difficult to look after - albeit twice as expensive to keep.

Once those kids have left home you’ll find a dog (or two) great helps in getting daily exercise and making you feel good every time you come home - or get up.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Dog dilemma on 10:00 - May 30 with 419 viewsRyorry

Glad it worked out so well 🐾 👍

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024