Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… 22:41 - May 17 with 5170 viewsSitfcB

Only a few teams left now isn’t there?

EDIT:

List here

[Post edited 17 May 2022 22:42]

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 14:48 - May 18 with 886 viewsCrock

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 09:37 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

In 62 we played most of the match with 10 men as, I think, Larry Carberry got injured very early on. Think a few others were carrying injuries but Alf wanted them to have the honour of playing in the game.

In 78 was a weakened side, also due to injuries. Hunter and Beattie both missed out, Warky played centre-half, Tommy Parkin made his debut.

Didn’t Tommy Parkin make his debut against Cardiff in the FA Cup?

Poll: Favourite number?

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 14:50 - May 18 with 883 viewsPhilTWTD

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 14:48 - May 18 by Crock

Didn’t Tommy Parkin make his debut against Cardiff in the FA Cup?

I stand corrected, first start.
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 14:52 - May 18 with 878 viewsPhilTWTD

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 14:32 - May 18 by oldburian

You may well be right about second half only. As regards the first live TV appearance since there was so little live club football, just the FA Cup Final, with just one year in the top flight there would have been no opportunity or reason for Town to grace the TV screens.

In the late 1950's it is forgotten that an agreement was reached to televise one league match on a Saturday. It started with Blackpool v Bolton but Alec Hardaker, the FL secretary was not thrilled and managed to cancel the contract.

I didn't know about the 1950s contract. Yes, true, so little live football until the 1980s. If I remember rightly we were supposed to play a live ITFC game at Forest in what would have been our first live game of that era but it was called off due to the weather.
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 14:52 - May 18 with 876 viewsTJS

I prefer the list of clubs with a 100% winning record at Wembley old and new in full competitive matches.
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 14:59 - May 18 with 866 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 14:20 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

If I remember rightly the 1962 Charity Shield was our first live TV appearance. I believe it was only the second half which was shown.

Was that 62 charity shield not played at Wembley then?

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 15:00 - May 18 with 865 viewsPhilTWTD

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 14:59 - May 18 by BlueyandCrazy

Was that 62 charity shield not played at Wembley then?

No, wasn't played at Wembley at that time.
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 15:04 - May 18 with 852 viewsoldburian

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 15:00 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

No, wasn't played at Wembley at that time.

The game was played at the home of the Football League champions in those days against the FA Cup winners.

The previous year there was a problem as Spurs won both, cannot remember the compromise.
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 15:33 - May 18 with 823 viewsXYZ

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 14:52 - May 18 by TJS

I prefer the list of clubs with a 100% winning record at Wembley old and new in full competitive matches.

I believe Woking have the best record - P4 W4
Login to get fewer ads

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 16:08 - May 18 with 798 viewsPhilTWTD

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 15:04 - May 18 by oldburian

The game was played at the home of the Football League champions in those days against the FA Cup winners.

The previous year there was a problem as Spurs won both, cannot remember the compromise.

They played an FA Select XI, according to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FA_Community_Shield_matches#cite_note-time
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 16:16 - May 18 with 789 viewsjaykay

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 23:24 - May 17 by PhilTWTD

Factual will. FA Cup tie against Ealing 1928/29.

we dont due charity cup finals played 2 lost 2 goals for 1 goals against 10.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 16:22 - May 18 with 779 viewsBseaBlue

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 09:40 - May 18 by J2BLUE

We would have already gone to Wembley for the semis. Something that needs to end as it devalues everything.

I would hate our next trip to Wembley to be for the pizza cup. Needs to be for something decent. A play off final (hopefully Championship rather than league 1) or a cup.

I'm with you on this as I was lucky enough to be at Wembley in 2000 but don't forget that we have a large bunch of supporters who have had nothing to celebrate in recent times!
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 23:25 - May 19 with 685 viewsTrumptonBlue

Another one gone.
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 23:34 - May 19 with 664 viewsSE1blue

I find the fact that there’s just 7 teams left after only 15 years a sad reflection of how devalued getting to Wembley is now.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 23:38 - May 19 with 646 viewsStNeotsBlue

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 23:34 - May 19 by SE1blue

I find the fact that there’s just 7 teams left after only 15 years a sad reflection of how devalued getting to Wembley is now.

6 now. Port Vale won on penalties. I find it more sad how rubbish it has been for the last 20 years. I'd take a day out next year in the play offs or even the Papa John's thing.

Automatic promotion is the main ambition though.
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 07:25 - May 20 with 540 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 23:34 - May 19 by SE1blue

Is it any different to before though? Prior to the 80’s then yes but EFL Trophy finals have been played there since 1985 and similarly the playoffs in 1990

I think having cup semis there is a joke but that will barely have impacted this list, as most of the 80+ league teams that have played there will have done so via one of the above routes

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 08:10 - May 20 with 519 viewsfranz_tyson

I'll happily take a couple of automatic promotions and unsuccessful Cup runs and stay on the list.
No biggie. Is there a list of clubs who've won both the league and the Fa Cup? Throw in the UEFA Cup as well. Imagine that list is quite exclusive and not lengthy.
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 08:19 - May 20 with 506 viewsChrisd

I find it a bit disappointing that so many clubs have had the opportunity to play at the new Wembley. I always felt it was a special and unique stadium, where in reality it seems all in sundry can get there and play a game of football due to the copious amount of cup competitions and play off finals.....well apart from us and 6 other clubs!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 08:32 - May 20 with 482 viewsITFC_Forever

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 14:52 - May 18 by TJS

So not us then.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024