Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looks like another school shooting in the US... 21:58 - May 24 with 6148 viewsDanTheMan

14 kids and a teacher dead at an elementary school.

Absolutely sickening.

How long can it go on for over there before they actually do something?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-61573831
[Post edited 24 May 2022 21:59]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 22:00 - May 24 with 2879 viewsBlueBadger

It'll go on forever. The US is(like us here) turning into a failed country.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 22:16 - May 24 with 2754 viewsblueasfook

It will never stop as long as they believe in their second amendment rights to have sh1t loads of military grade weapons

These are the same people who want to make abortion illegal to protect unborn children. But once they're school age, they don't mind if they get killed.

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 22:17 - May 24 with 2773 viewsWestover

Very sad news when will they see the light and stop selling guns 12th of never I suspect.😩
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 22:29 - May 24 with 2732 viewsghostofescobar

I met with a UK national who has lived in the US for a decade now a short while back. He is a work client and during a meal out, guns in the USA were discussed. He admitted that he and his wife have guns (more than one each). The reason? Because he never knows which “nutter” out there has a gun, so just in case, he always carries a gun with him. He has fallen into the trap of thinking that someone could threaten him and his family and that person could have a gun, so he has guns: just in case. And carries one at all times, even just to get some shopping: just in case. Goes to the shooting range nearly every weekend: just in case. He has a special licence which means he can carry a gun and it doesn’t have to be concealed. And he is English, rational, quite liberal, but, you know, just in case. And the entire country is like that, just in case. I was gobsmacked. It is so alien, and despite everything that is wrong with our country at the moment, our gun laws are not one of those problems, at least not to anything like the extent that it is over there.

GhostOfEscobar

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 22:38 - May 24 with 2684 viewsElderGrizzly

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 22:29 - May 24 by ghostofescobar

I met with a UK national who has lived in the US for a decade now a short while back. He is a work client and during a meal out, guns in the USA were discussed. He admitted that he and his wife have guns (more than one each). The reason? Because he never knows which “nutter” out there has a gun, so just in case, he always carries a gun with him. He has fallen into the trap of thinking that someone could threaten him and his family and that person could have a gun, so he has guns: just in case. And carries one at all times, even just to get some shopping: just in case. Goes to the shooting range nearly every weekend: just in case. He has a special licence which means he can carry a gun and it doesn’t have to be concealed. And he is English, rational, quite liberal, but, you know, just in case. And the entire country is like that, just in case. I was gobsmacked. It is so alien, and despite everything that is wrong with our country at the moment, our gun laws are not one of those problems, at least not to anything like the extent that it is over there.

I had the ‘pleasure’ of a dinner with an organisation from Alabama in March while in the USA.

One of them has a concealed carry permit and said they had over 10 guns in their house. With 2 kids under 4 there too. They had a handgun with them at dinner.

Main reason was they were concerned about Mexican criminals coming over the border in their millions. And felt this would only improve when they got Mexico as the 51st state. One of the far right’s more weird promises apparently…
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 22:44 - May 24 with 2648 viewsLord_Lucan

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 22:29 - May 24 by ghostofescobar

They're stuck with it really, It's a classic rod for your own back situation. If they banned guns right now no one would give them in as they know that the motherfeckers still have them..

It's a bit like nuclear disarmament.

People can (rightly) go on at how mad it is but it's done and dusted now, I cannot see how it can change. People can also spout how nuts The Yanks are and I agree, I have been criticising Americans on here since the beginning of TWTD - but, ask yourself something and be honest. If you lived in USA and you knew that your friendly house breaker was likely to be carrying, and that you, as a law abiding citizen could have one in the house as self defence - would you pack heat in the house baby?

It's a toughie?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 22:59 - May 24 with 2573 viewswaveneyblue

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 22:00 - May 24 by BlueBadger

It'll go on forever. The US is(like us here) turning into a failed country.

If only you were in charge to save us...
Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:05 - May 24 with 2581 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 22:38 - May 24 by ElderGrizzly

I had the ‘pleasure’ of a dinner with an organisation from Alabama in March while in the USA.

One of them has a concealed carry permit and said they had over 10 guns in their house. With 2 kids under 4 there too. They had a handgun with them at dinner.

Main reason was they were concerned about Mexican criminals coming over the border in their millions. And felt this would only improve when they got Mexico as the 51st state. One of the far right’s more weird promises apparently…

American Mexicans would be fine but until they are Americans they are dangerous immigrants? Wow.

As for the OP, so terribly sad and almost certainly avoidable.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:08 - May 24 with 2563 viewsjeera

Always unarmed kids who are targeted.

I know the piece of crap is dead but nonetheless, the coward went out taking innocents with him.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:10 - May 24 with 2551 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"What are we doing? Why are you here? If not to solve a problem as existential as this? This isn't inevitable. These kids weren't unlucky. This only happens in this country.

Nowhere else do kids go to school and think they might be shot that day. It's a choice and it's our choice to let it continue.

I'm here to beg my colleagues. Find a way to pass laws to make this less likely." Senator Chris Murphy of Connecticut (where Sandy Hook is).

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:10 - May 24 with 2551 viewsjeera

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 22:59 - May 24 by waveneyblue

Give it a fcking rest.

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:15 - May 24 with 2534 viewsjeera

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 22:44 - May 24 by Lord_Lucan

They're stuck with it really, It's a classic rod for your own back situation. If they banned guns right now no one would give them in as they know that the motherfeckers still have them..

It's a bit like nuclear disarmament.

People can (rightly) go on at how mad it is but it's done and dusted now, I cannot see how it can change. People can also spout how nuts The Yanks are and I agree, I have been criticising Americans on here since the beginning of TWTD - but, ask yourself something and be honest. If you lived in USA and you knew that your friendly house breaker was likely to be carrying, and that you, as a law abiding citizen could have one in the house as self defence - would you pack heat in the house baby?

It's a toughie?

Of course you're likely to keep one in the house.

In case of armed burglars.

But not pop down the shops/local school with it etc.

The laws need to change one way or another, even if they have to remove them by stealth over time. You cannot have laws where an 18 year old can legally wander down the street with a gun, it's beyond insane.

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:18 - May 24 with 2515 viewsIllinoisblue

Spoiler: nothing will happen beyond thoughts and prayers. Sandy Hook changed nothing. This will change nothing.

It’s so messed up.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:20 - May 24 with 2500 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:15 - May 24 by jeera

The laws need to change one way or another, even if they have to remove them by stealth over time. You cannot have laws where an 18 year old can legally wander down the street with a gun, it's beyond insane.

My Dad stayed along with some others in the US as a student with some American friends. They all went out one evening and some decided to go home earlier than the others. When they went back they found themselves locked out and, rather than disturb those who had already returned, decided to climb in through an open window.

The resident woke to one of them climbing in, grabbed his gun and shot them.

It really isn't a wise idea to have an armed populace at all.

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:21 - May 24 with 2495 viewsLord_Lucan

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:15 - May 24 by jeera

So;

"Of course you're likely to keep one in the house.
In case of armed burglars"

What's to stop you from killing a load of people with it if you've had a bad day and get served a poor Whammy Burger - when all you wanted was a breakfast?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:22 - May 24 with 2494 viewspointofblue

Ignoring the stupidity of gun laws in the US, I recall my primary school had security keypads added to every external door after Dunblane, so no one could access without knowing it. Not sure how good they would be if someone took a gun to them, admittedly, but it was an effort to provide more security.

Those poor children, and their families, as well as the teacher.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:24 - May 24 with 2482 viewsjeera

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:20 - May 24 by Nthsuffolkblue

My Dad stayed along with some others in the US as a student with some American friends. They all went out one evening and some decided to go home earlier than the others. When they went back they found themselves locked out and, rather than disturb those who had already returned, decided to climb in through an open window.

The resident woke to one of them climbing in, grabbed his gun and shot them.

It really isn't a wise idea to have an armed populace at all.

No it is not a good idea to have an armed populace but that's not what I said.

In a country where the populace are generally armed you're going to keep one yourself in the home because what choice is there?

I'm always intrigued by places like Bulgaria where guns are legal [under conditions] but there doesn't seem to be this misplaced culture where people use them on each other.

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:25 - May 24 with 2479 viewsBlueBadger

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 22:59 - May 24 by waveneyblue

What is it about schoolchildren being murdered that appeals to you?
[Post edited 24 May 2022 23:26]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:28 - May 24 with 2465 viewsjeera

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:21 - May 24 by Lord_Lucan

So;

"Of course you're likely to keep one in the house.
In case of armed burglars"

What's to stop you from killing a load of people with it if you've had a bad day and get served a poor Whammy Burger - when all you wanted was a breakfast?

I was generalising.

The scenario is a country where everyone/every other fecker has one, so what choice is there?

Someone armed breaks in and it's one-sided, you, your wife, kids are vulnerable.

I'd prefer they didn't exist to be honest.

But as I said in another post other countries manage it, but maybe as you say, until they don't manage it any more. Like Australia.

No way an outright ban is going to happen in the US so it has to happen in gradual stages doesn't it.
[Post edited 24 May 2022 23:48]

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:31 - May 24 with 2450 viewsfactual_blue

Sadly, you're beyond saving.

I say 'sadly', but I don't mean it.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:33 - May 24 with 2437 viewsIllinoisblue

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:28 - May 24 by jeera

I was generalising.

The scenario is a country where everyone/every other fecker has one, so what choice is there?

Someone armed breaks in and it's one-sided, you, your wife, kids are vulnerable.

I'd prefer they didn't exist to be honest.

But as I said in another post other countries manage it, but maybe as you say, until they don't manage it any more. Like Australia.

No way an outright ban is going to happen in the US so it has to happen in gradual stages doesn't it.
[Post edited 24 May 2022 23:48]

Many Americans have this fear and insecurity like no other nationality on this earth. They’re convinced Mexicans/Muslims/others that don’t like American enough are going to steal their jobs, burn their churches, take away their freedoms, or invade their homes and kill them.

The actual number of armed home invasions is so small it doesn’t even register. But here we are.

62 - 78 - 81

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:37 - May 24 with 2408 viewsjeera

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:33 - May 24 by Illinoisblue

Many Americans have this fear and insecurity like no other nationality on this earth. They’re convinced Mexicans/Muslims/others that don’t like American enough are going to steal their jobs, burn their churches, take away their freedoms, or invade their homes and kill them.

The actual number of armed home invasions is so small it doesn’t even register. But here we are.

It's not hard to understand why anyone living in an environment that has a number of people armed to the teeth would be paranoid.

I have a cousin in Philadelphia who is married and they will not have guns in the house.

He is ex-forces too as it goes so I guess it's not in everyone's psyche.

It's probably a bit personal to ask if you keep one indoors.

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:42 - May 24 with 2380 viewsIllinoisblue

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:37 - May 24 by jeera

It's not hard to understand why anyone living in an environment that has a number of people armed to the teeth would be paranoid.

I have a cousin in Philadelphia who is married and they will not have guns in the house.

He is ex-forces too as it goes so I guess it's not in everyone's psyche.

It's probably a bit personal to ask if you keep one indoors.

I do not have one and nor will I. Simply no interest in guns. I do have a baseball bat in the garage. Maybe that will be enough to save me! I live in a rather bland leafy suburb so the chances of an attack are rather slim. But then again, schools aren’t safe so where is ?

62 - 78 - 81

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:43 - May 24 with 2373 viewsBlueBadger

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:31 - May 24 by factual_blue

Sadly, you're beyond saving.

I say 'sadly', but I don't mean it.

No idea what pazessed him to say that.

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:47 - May 24 with 2361 viewsjeera

Looks like another school shooting in the US... on 23:42 - May 24 by Illinoisblue

I do not have one and nor will I. Simply no interest in guns. I do have a baseball bat in the garage. Maybe that will be enough to save me! I live in a rather bland leafy suburb so the chances of an attack are rather slim. But then again, schools aren’t safe so where is ?

We certainly couldn't have them here. Psychologically we're not geared up for it.

They'd be shootings on roundabouts several times a day, over parking spaces. Anything driving related really.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024