Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone know a beer that's like... 16:00 - Jun 14 with 2799 viewsBlue_badge

Anyone know a beer that tastes like the old Tolly Cobbold Cobnut, a sweet brown ale with a slightly nutty taste.
It's what I grew up on, and on the few times per season that I get back to Portman Road (from Dorset) I generally spend an evening or two doing "research" - so far without success but will keep trying.
Anyone know a beer that's like... on 18:03 - Jun 15 with 639 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone know a beer that's like... on 16:58 - Jun 14 by Freddies_Ears

Oddly, a beer called "Pietra", from Corsica, is very similar, albeit stronger, at 6%. Available on all Corsica Ferries ships. That probably isn't very helpful, though...

In Ipswich, you may find something not too dissimilar - and very pleasant anyway - at the Briarbank.

Otherwise, any of the darker beers brewed by Town fan Richard Muir, of Mourhouse Brewery fame, are likely to meet your approval. Available in their pub, the Weighbridge Inn, next to the station at Burton Upon Trent - which fully justifies a night away then Town play there...

Not very helpfully at all. I went on Corsica Ferries 11 years ago, so if you’d had the foresight to mention it back then I could have picked up a few bottles for the OP. Bad planning that. Tsk!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone know a beer that's like... on 18:26 - Jun 15 with 627 viewsFreddies_Ears

Anyone know a beer that's like... on 17:43 - Jun 15 by hoppy

It's like Adnams Tally-Ho, in that one year's batch can taste variable from another year, but it is still the same beer.
As a side note, I also now know it's not supposed to be a session beer.

One pint, and you feel like you are well into a session! My record is 4, and the next day i was so glad I had had the self-control to not have the desired 5th!!
Anyone know a beer that's like... on 18:40 - Jun 15 with 617 viewsChurchman

Anyone know a beer that's like... on 08:57 - Jun 15 by hype313

Whitsable Bay pale ale is actually a lovely drop.

I like that!

I’m going to get shot to bits as a peasant here, but for a really nice lager on a hot day, I recommend Shepherd Neame Spitfire lager. Spitfire bitter is nice too - a bit like London Pride.

This thread is making me thirsty and wanting to try some of these!
Anyone know a beer that's like... on 22:16 - Jun 15 with 586 viewsMedwayTractor

Anyone know a beer that's like... on 16:08 - Jun 14 by Keno

have you tried any of the King & Barnes beers?

King & Barnes was swallowed up some years ago by Hall & Woodhouse of Blandford Forum, then the Horsham brewery switched to brewing H & B beers, then shut a few years later.

K&B's head brewer, a Mr Hepworth, left the new set up & started a new brewery now based in Billingshurst. If you remember K &B's beers & want to taste them again, get hold of some Hepworths.

More info here: https://hepworthbrewery.co.uk/

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Anyone know a beer that's like... on 11:04 - Jun 16 with 543 viewsElephantintheRoom

Anyone know a beer that's like... on 16:58 - Jun 14 by Freddies_Ears

Oddly, a beer called "Pietra", from Corsica, is very similar, albeit stronger, at 6%. Available on all Corsica Ferries ships. That probably isn't very helpful, though...

In Ipswich, you may find something not too dissimilar - and very pleasant anyway - at the Briarbank.

Otherwise, any of the darker beers brewed by Town fan Richard Muir, of Mourhouse Brewery fame, are likely to meet your approval. Available in their pub, the Weighbridge Inn, next to the station at Burton Upon Trent - which fully justifies a night away then Town play there...

Interesting. That’s my tipple of choice if I can’t find the beautifully named C’hiti Beer and is freely available in French supermarkets. Not sure I’d say it is anything like Cob Nut though which I vaguely remember being a watery brown that was used in ‘Brown Splits’ back in the day in Tolly pubs

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Anyone know a beer that's like... on 06:42 - Jun 17 with 491 viewsElephantintheRoom

Anyone know a beer that's like... on 13:16 - Jun 15 by stonojnr

No it does because its the exact same recipe, given to them by one of the former Tolly brewers who helped them start out brewing as a consultant, and they might even be using Tollys yeast variant, though not wholly sure on that part.

It will taste different only in so far as barley crops do change over time so you have to tune things which is easier if you are continually brewing, not trying to recreate it, but our taste buds do change over time.

But they are probably using a much cleaner water source less impurities than Tolly were who were struggling with brackish water from their main water source back in the day, and half their pubs never stored or treated the beer properly so it went off quickly & had all kinds of funky off flavours, or wouldn't travel as we used to say.

It's the nearest & closest thing you'll ever get to drink of it again

That’s bit like saying that Tolly Bitter was the same after Brent Walker started brewing it in Hartlepool. It wasn’t. Water makes a difference - even if the reasons are somewhat unpalatable. But like whisky - only more marked in a weak beer

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Anyone know a beer that's like... on 07:42 - Jun 17 with 470 viewsPinewoodblue

Anyone know a beer that's like... on 18:26 - Jun 15 by Freddies_Ears

One pint, and you feel like you are well into a session! My record is 4, and the next day i was so glad I had had the self-control to not have the desired 5th!!

Also varies in strength from one year to the next.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Anyone know a beer that's like... on 07:48 - Jun 17 with 460 viewshoppy

Anyone know a beer that's like... on 07:42 - Jun 17 by Pinewoodblue

Also varies in strength from one year to the next.

Indeed. I’m sure it must’ve just been the 7th one I’d had that was a different strength that tipped me over…

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone know a beer that's like... on 09:13 - Jun 17 with 444 viewsMatterhorn

Anyone know a beer that's like... on 17:43 - Jun 15 by hoppy

It's like Adnams Tally-Ho, in that one year's batch can taste variable from another year, but it is still the same beer.
As a side note, I also now know it's not supposed to be a session beer.

Yep that brings back memories, when I was a lad & started to go down the pub with my dad, uncle & their mates they all thought it would be a good idea to start me on cobnut, I seem to remember it as like dark brown nectar that washed easily down, far too easy sometimes! I tried a bottle of so called cobnut out of a local farm shop a while back, can’t remember who brewed it but couldn’t even finish it, bloody awful
Anyone know a beer that's like... on 11:18 - Jun 17 with 430 views05Jchamb

Anyone know a beer that's like... on 18:26 - Jun 15 by Freddies_Ears

I had a very dangerous evening a few years back in the Philosophy bar (now sadly deceased) of Kings college strand campus.

Was the last night before closing for Christmas and I was three pints deep into the Tally Ho Ho Ho when the student barman loudly advised at about 11 that their license meant they couldn't sell anymore beer so they would have to give it away for free instead.
Anyone know a beer that's like... on 15:20 - Jun 17 with 387 viewshoppy

Anyone know a beer that's like... on 11:18 - Jun 17 by 05Jchamb

I had a very dangerous evening a few years back in the Philosophy bar (now sadly deceased) of Kings college strand campus.

Was the last night before closing for Christmas and I was three pints deep into the Tally Ho Ho Ho when the student barman loudly advised at about 11 that their license meant they couldn't sell anymore beer so they would have to give it away for free instead.

That sounds as though it must've been awful... However did you cope with that?!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024